PDA

View Full Version : Fox violates FCC equal time rule?

slamhead
12-29-2007, 02:26 PM
U.S. Broadcasting Regulatory Rule

It is the closest thing in broadcast content regulation to the "golden rule." The equal time, or more accurately, the equal opportunity provision of the Communications Act requires radio and television stations and cable systems which originate their own programming to treat legally qualified political candidates equally when it comes to selling or giving away air time. Simply put, a station which sells or gives one minute to Candidate A must sell or give the same amount of time with the same audience potential to all other candidates for the particular office. However, a candidate who can not afford time does not receive free time unless his or her opponent is also given free time. Thus, even with the equal time law, a well funded campaign has a significant advantage in terms of broadcast exposure for the candidate.

Suzu
12-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Source?

Bruehound
12-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Dr. Paul's philosphy is one of liberty and does not believe in government regulation. Please understand this.

skeryl
12-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Source?

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/htmlE/equaltimeru/equaltimeru.htm

bgoldwater
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
FCC should be dismantled.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 02:44 PM
We should not force on Fox a law that we think is unjust, just because it benefits us.

I hope that we are not a campaign of hypocrites, and will respect Fox's right to broadcast whatever they choose.

jamesmadison
12-29-2007, 02:45 PM
We should not force on Fox a law that we think is unjust, just because it benefits us.

I hope that we are not a campaign of hypocrites, and will respect Fox's right to broadcast whatever they choose.

Of course we should. To destroy the system you must work within the system or you will never facilitate the process of destruction. If you reject the system you only set yourself up for failure.

quantized
12-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Dr. Paul's philosphy is one of liberty and does not believe in government regulation. Please understand this.

but Ron also pay taxes. while in rome, play by the roman rules. they broke their own rules and they have to be held accountable. you either abide or else change the rules.

shasshas
12-29-2007, 02:50 PM
LITIGATE LITIGATE LITIGATE!!!!

Use private litigation - start with injunction - seek extraordinary damages for frustrating conduct !!!!!!!

Paulitician
12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
We should also have the right to kick these crooks to the curb... but we can't, and we won't. There seems to be a huge injustice here! Fox News can get away with anything they want over my airwaves, but the most I can do is protest, and that won't change anything. That wont change the fact that Fox News will continue to defraud the citizenry and try to influence the outcome of the election. This is not what I'd call a "free press"--seems completely the opposite of that.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Unjust? Equal time is unjust? Not all laws are bad and unconstitutional. This a good law for everyone. It should be enforced.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I suspect I am not informed enough about the details of broadcast law, but it seems to me that this law is essentially dictating to Fox how they can and cannot use their own resources.

I am not a fan of the government dictating property use.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I suspect I am not informed enough about the details of broadcast law, but it seems to me that this law is essentially dictating to Fox how they can and cannot use their own resources.

I think it is, but when it comes to ELECTIONS, I believe it is important that the media outlets are prevented from manipulating the people.

drexhex
12-29-2007, 03:09 PM

So? You're not a fan of censorship, either.

The Revolution is using the system to beat the system. Right now it's rigged so that the MSM chooses the candidate. In order to fix this, we need to get our candidate in no matter what it takes. Yeah, we don't like the system. However, either we have to revolt physically (protests won't really do anything) or play by their rules. We have to use the system to beat the system, and the way we can do that right now is to use the FCC's rules to force Fox News to allow our candidate (who will fix the system) to be able to debate.

They have no legal reason why they can censor him. He's third and fourth in polls (above Thompson and Giuliani typically). He is the top GOP fund raiser. He's won most of the straw polls. He has the most donations from overseas military.

Let's abuse the system before we destroy the system.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Let's abuse the system before we destroy the system.

That just sounds like an altogether bad plan. Not only would we be blasted as shameless hypocrites, we would be violating the very ideals of private property rights that we claim to hold in such high regard.

Unless someone can give me a compelling reason that this law is not an abuse of Fox's rights, I will continue to oppose it.