PDA

View Full Version : Should we give up on Louisiana?

hummtide
12-29-2007, 11:51 AM
With this I just read... it may be almost pointless to even attempt to make an effort there:

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl122807khvotingturnout.5fce8cc7.html

Maya Rodriguez / Eyewitness News Reporter

In what could be a crucial year in the world of politics, 2008 may also end up as a crucial year for state voters. "Displacement and the non-participation of voters in southeast Louisiana is going to be a major, major factor," said Clancy DuBos, Eyewitness News Political Analyst.

A factor because new numbers from demographer Greg Rigamer, GCR and Associates, show more than one million registered Louisiana voters have not voted at all since Hurricane Katrina. The numbers also showed two groups of voters in particular were not voting: people under the age of 30 and those over the age of 75. "With the loss of voters that we have, we have a little bit more competitive environment in the political arena than we had previously," Rigamer said.

Nowhere was that more true than in the New Orleans metro area, still reeling from a population loss brought on by the storm.
"Overall, the more displacement, the greater the fall off in voter participation,” DuBos said.

That fall off is noticeable in Orleans Parish. As of December, the parish has 278,029 registered voters, but 130,985 of them have not voted since Katrina. That means 47 percent of the voters in the city have not cast a ballot; and 70 percent of those voters are African-Americans.

"Of the voters who actually turn out and vote, the scales went from being about 2-to-1 in favor of African-Americans, to pretty much 50-50, which makes it a turnout contest every time," DuBos said. And political analysts said that effect already manifested itself in the November election for the New Orleans City Council’s At-Large seat. “Clearly, that's what happened with Jackie Clarkson,” DuBos said. “The turnout was about 50-50, Clarkson got more crossover votes, and that's why she won."

But this hasn’t just happened in Orleans Parish. More than half of the registered voters in St. Bernard Parish have not voted since Katrina, either; understandable, according to analysts, given the storm damage there. The real surprise, they said, was in Jefferson Parish.

“Generally, voters in Jefferson Parish, within the metropolitan area context, tend to be some of the better educated, more affluent voters," DuBos said. But that has not made them vote in greater numbers. A whopping 43 percent of registered Jefferson Parish voters have not voted since the storm. "When you consider that not that many people in Jefferson Parish were displaced by Katrina, that is a very, very shocking statistic to me," DuBos said.

Statistics whose effect will be seen much clearer, beginning next year.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
No

schmeisser
12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
We just raised $1400 for delegate fees for folks down there a few days ago. I think some LA people are predicting we do very well there.

Sandra
01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Most displaced voters were registered Democrats!

jenninlouisiana
01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
You have NO idea how Important Louisiana is on next Tuesday.

I'm a delegate candiate and I have been contacted by more than one other campaign asking me if I am undeclared because they didn't get a full slate.

Ron Paul is going to walk away will most, if not all, of the district delegates from Louisiana. Once we get to the state convention (Feb 16th) he'll likely walk away with

21 delegates!!!!!!

You have no idea how hard we have been working on the ground here. And we have been doing it while flying under everyone's radar.

This is going to be SO HUGE for Ron Paul... and it will give him momentum going into Florida with the press releases they will be able to put out....

******7 more days******** We're almost there....

I'll be surprised if he doesnt' get nearly all of the 7 districts 15 delegates to the state convention.

It's going to be HUGE.

HUGE!

jenninlouisiana
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
//

jenninlouisiana
01-15-2008, 08:37 PM
bump

kirkblitz
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
so you vote on the 22nd then go to the state convention on the 16th of feb right?

Please keep us updated :D

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
1.) A low voter turnout in a State still suffering from somewhat of an economic crisis where the memory of Federal bungling is alive & well could be a very very good thing for us!

2.) NO STATE should be given up without one hell of a fight by us. We have supporters of true liberty and freedom there and we need to fight like hell for every vote in every town of every State we can. Our entire country needs us to spread the word and fight the good fight because nobody else is going to go for bat to them. So no, we do not just give up on Louisiana - We let Louisiana know the revolution needs them!

sockmonkey70@yahoo.com
01-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Jenn I am trying to get a group together in Natchitoches to take signs and hand out slim jims on the 22nd...Do the laws vary by city on how far away you need to be away from the location? I can't find anything about it.

gb13
01-16-2008, 01:42 AM
You have NO idea how Important Louisiana is on next Tuesday.

I'm a delegate candiate and I have been contacted by more than one other campaign asking me if I am undeclared because they didn't get a full slate.

Ron Paul is going to walk away will most, if not all, of the district delegates from Louisiana. Once we get to the state convention (Feb 16th) he'll likely walk away with

21 delegates!!!!!!

You have no idea how hard we have been working on the ground here. And we have been doing it while flying under everyone's radar.

This is going to be SO HUGE for Ron Paul... and it will give him momentum going into Florida with the press releases they will be able to put out....

******7 more days******** We're almost there....

I'll be surprised if he doesnt' get nearly all of the 7 districts 15 delegates to the state convention.

It's going to be HUGE.

HUGE!

Shh. Keep it on the dl then... Other campaigns read this site.

jenninlouisiana
01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
so you vote on the 22nd then go to the state convention on the 16th of feb right?

Please keep us updated :D

Right.

The primary is February 9th, but it means nothing as long as no one candidate gets 50% +1 of the vote.

So the important dates for Louisiana are:

January 22nd (Tuesday) for the caucus (It's basically a done deal here)

and

February 16th (state convention) where Ron Paul has an excellent chance of getting 21 delegates to the national conventon!!!

Sonicmonkey, I sent you a reply on your PM.

jenninlouisiana
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Shh. Keep it on the dl then... Other campaigns read this site.

It is too late now for them to do anything. Ron Paul is the only campaign with a full slate of delegates in each district. But I understand what you are saying....

hueylong
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
What does this have to do with us? Louisiana still has its delegates. That's the point of the exercise, not how many registered voters there are.

jahazii
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Go La!

JulioForPaul
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
That article makes me think that Ron Paul has a great chance. His district is in East Texas...... right next to Louisiana.

Badger Paul
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Just make sure no one gets more than 50% in the primary

minitri97
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
As someone who lived in Louisiana for over 20 years, rest assured, Louisiana will not vote for anyone even slightly off mainstream, media based republican. So yes, it is a waste of time.

jenninlouisiana
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
As someone who lived in Louisiana for over 20 years, rest assured, Louisiana will not vote for anyone even slightly off mainstream, media based republican. So yes, it is a waste of time.

Oh, YOU are so right. Forget the work, forget the money and the time. What's 21 delegates anyway?

After all, you did live in La for 20 years...... :(

Rex
01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Hehe.. Don't worry. There are more RP voters than you think ;)

torchbearer
01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
We are going to RWN Louisiana....the last state to surrender to the northern aggressors... the last state to leave reconstruction(though we are still in reconstruction via laws that only pertain to the secessionists states)

We have great meet-up leaders in Louisiana and a great strategy. We should do well!

BigSteve
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM

David Duke is considered a non-mainstream Republican and he has done well in elections in LA.

torchbearer
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
David Duke is considered a non-mainstream Republican and he has done well in elections in LA.

A racist republican at that...former grand dragon of the KKK.
I don't see the newsletter quotes being an issue here.

jenninlouisiana
01-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Alright, you trolls are starting to tick me off. The last time DD was "successful" in Louisina was 1989. He left the state around 1992ish and has been Florida's problem (I think Florida anyway) since then...

torchbearer
01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Alright, you trolls are starting to tick me off. The last time DD was "successful" in Louisina was 1989. He left the state around 1992ish and has been Florida's problem (I think Florida anyway) since then...

Yeh but DD did very well when he ran against Edwards... granted neither choice was good... but we do have "david duke" country in our district.
I'm tolerant of racist as long as they don't get violent or act out in force against another human. But that is how I am with all people.
I don't discriminate against racist. We are surrounded by them.

jenninlouisiana
01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
One of the few times I voted Democrat... holding my nose.... so utterly disgusted... and pulling the lever for Edwards.... knowing not one good thing was going to come from it....

mesler
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I think we have a good shot.

The best thing people can do is canvass their neighborhood. I met my neighbor and she's all gung ho for voting for me now. Doesn't take much, if we just have *1* person in each precinct doing their job, it would be no sweat.

jmdrake
01-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Isn't Louisiana the state that had the governor dating the stripper? Isn't it the state that almost elected David Duke to statewide office? Isn't it the state where a politician had money in his freezer? I'm not trying to knock Louisiana, just pointing out that some non "mainstream" people have done pretty well their politically.

The low voter turnout plays to us. And it really doesn't matter whether or not displaced people are democrat or republican. (It really matters not how many more votes Hillary or Obama get than Ron Paul as long has they don't take votes from people that might have voted for him.) So no, clearly LA is NOT a waste of time. Of course what happens there depends almost entirely on the volunteers on the ground. If they decide its worth the fight then Paul stands a chance.

Regards,

John M. Drake

roXet
01-17-2008, 11:14 PM

I think Bobby Jindal might disagree with that.

GunnyFreedom
01-18-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking the Gun Owners for Ron Paul slimjim would be a huge huge huge hit in LA no? I know most of the nation does not believe the stories about the gun confiscation in N.O. but I'd bet the fine folks in LA believe it. I am just guessing here tho - but I'd guess that the 2nd Amendment slimjim would be big mojo in the state.

jahazii
01-18-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm thinking the Gun Owners for Ron Paul slimjim would be a huge huge huge hit in LA no? I know most of the nation does not believe the stories about the gun confiscation in N.O. but I'd bet the fine folks in LA believe it. I am just guessing here tho - but I'd guess that the 2nd Amendment slimjim would be big mojo in the state.

I dropped up Gun Owner Slim Jims to local gun shops the other day.

GunnyFreedom
01-18-2008, 02:21 AM
I'd almost want to dump hundreds of thousands of 2nd A slimjims from the blimp, but then we'd get hit for littering....

CelestialRender
01-18-2008, 02:50 AM
We're doing fine. You should give up on us, but only because this one will go down in the history books as won pure grassroots style, by people on the ground in the state.

GunnyFreedom
01-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Hey man, I've been predicting for a little while now that LA will be our first #1 finish. I sure haven't given up on you fine folk.

jenninlouisiana
01-18-2008, 08:38 AM

Absolutely. It is the slim jim I run out of the most.

LJHudd
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Have a look at this > yahoo poll (http://news.yahoo.com/election/2008/dashboard/?d=ST) < Click on Louisiana :)

jenninlouisiana
01-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I get a little worred because this truly will be a "whoever gets the most voters to turn out" will win. Already at Louisiana College, one professor sent out a mass e-mail to the entire staff of the college saying to vote for Him, X, Y and Z who are running as delegates. he didn't mention their candiate (Huckabee) and he also didnt' add our delegate who works at LC.

So we are up against instutitions who are trying to get their employees to vote them in. Also on my district's list is:

1) a person who already has a delegate spot from the GOP and is also running for a district spot? Figure that one out...

2) someone who ran for governor

We're up against people who, (I wouldn't put it past them) MIGHT just make their employees go vote for them.

I dont' mean to be a debbie downer.... we can win... we can take 41 delegates for Ron Paul. it is completely within our grasp...

We're also up against large churches turning out the vote for their people....

Call ANYONE you know in Louisiana who was a Republican on/before 11/30/07 and tell them to vote in their district's caucus. Tell them to join a meetup in Louisiana and bring their voter registration card.

In district 5, for instance, there are 50 delegates on the ballot. 15 are for Ron Paul (a full slate). We could still lose every single spot.

We HAVE to turn out the vote.

Rex
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Do you have any proof of this:

We're also up against large churches turning out the vote for their people....

This is so not legal for 501c3's to do

jenninlouisiana
01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Two of my meetup members mentioned specifically of two churches in my area that they have heard of organizing a vote.

From N.O. Huckabee meetup: (notice how it mentions a church, thought I do think this group has gotten a very late start)

Greetings Huckabee Family,

I have a few very important things I'd like to announce to you about the Louisiana Delegate info. I tried to email this info last night to you but for some reason it did not email out to everyone when I checked this morning. It will only take about 3 minutes for you to read.

There are a few people from our meetup group who will be on the Jan. 22nd ballot to become a Delegate to the LA State Convention. I will list below their names with their congressional district and where you will need to go vote for them.

Please print out the info and distribute them to everyone you know in your sphere of influence. Call your pastor to see if you can bring the list to your churches this weekend and hand them out. Bring the list to your work places & distribute them also in your neighborhoods. Remember the election is next Tuesday Jan. 22 between 5 pm and 8 pm. If you don't know how to get to your voting place, please call the number listed below. Everyone voting will need to bring a Photo I.D.

THIS ELECTION IS VERY IMPORTANT AND CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH. PLEASE GO VOTE AND ENCOURAGE AS MANY AS POSSIBLE TO GO VOTE. ASK THEM TO TAKE A RIDE WITH YOU TO THE VOTING PLACE IF THEY LIVE IN YOUR CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT.

We also ask for one more BIG favor. Please make at least 50 copies of the names below for the Congressional District you are in and distribute a copy to each person you see at the voting location and ask them to vote for us. We would greatly appreciate your assistance in this. Ultimately the names on the list are representing Mike Huckabee at the State Convention and onto the National Republican Convention in later this year in Minneapolis, MN. He needs our support all the way through!

Rex
01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
If you can get me the church names / numbers I'll get to work getting them in trouble. As they SHOULD NOT be doing that.

jenninlouisiana
01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I'll make some calls and see what specifics I can get.

And we are up against LC as I mentioned, which is a Baptist college and "practically" a church LOL, ya know? We have tried and tried to break through there for Ron Paul, a Baptist, and the Huckabee people there are just plain nasty and take our stuff, etc.

Our greatest success will be through the donor list and turning out the vote through that.

Rex
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
http://www.au.org/site/News2?abbr=resources&page=NewsArticle&id=9055&security=1441&news_iv_ctrl=2422

http://www.npaction.org/article/articleview/376/1/221/

torchbearer
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I'll make some calls and see what specifics I can get.

And we are up against LC as I mentioned, which is a Baptist college and "practically" a church LOL, ya know? We have tried and tried to break through there for Ron Paul, a Baptist, and the Huckabee people there are just plain nasty and take our stuff, etc.

Our greatest success will be through the donor list and turning out the vote through that.

What candidates have at least 8 delegates in each district?

torchbearer
01-18-2008, 09:54 AM
We only have 19 alternates running in our disctrict. we are garunteed at least 11 of those lots by default since we have 15 of those 19!!!!!!

jenninlouisiana
01-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure. I believe there are 6 candidates. There are 50 delegate candidates in district 5. 15 belong to Ron Paul. So that leaves 35 delegate candidates divided by 5 campaigns. So if it was equal (and we're not sure it is....) that means each of the 5 candidates has only 7 delegates.

Like I said, that's assuming that the remaining 5 all have equal slates of 7. (fun to think about, though!!!)

I'd say our biggest threats are McCain and Romney. Maybe Huckabee (in terms of voters, not necessarily delegates).. but like I mentioned... I think they got a slow/late start with the caucus.

I think there were 3 or 4 Huckabee candidates mentioned in that e-mail. So maybe that's all Huckabee has?

*TECHNICALLY* all district delegates are "uncommitted", so maybe if anyone asks us, that is what we should say we are: uncommitted.

BigSteve
01-20-2008, 09:43 AM

Holy Hell! Get your facts correct before you post.
David Duke got 44% of the vote in the US Senate Race in 1990
about 40% of the vote in the 1991 Governor's Race
8% of the vote in the 1992 LA GOP Presidential Primary
Elected St. Tammany Parish Republican Chairman in 1996

In the statewide LA elections he got over 55% of the White vote.

torchbearer
01-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Holy Hell! Get your facts correct before you post.
David Duke got 44% of the vote in the US Senate Race in 1990
about 40% of the vote in the 1991 Governor's Race
8% of the vote in the 1992 LA GOP Presidential Primary
Elected St. Tammany Parish Republican Chairman in 1996

In the statewide LA elections he got over 55% of the White vote.

like I said, the newsletter smear piece won't hurt us here.

Djentrify
01-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I dropped up Gun Owner Slim Jims to local gun shops the other day.

Wait, you're passing out Slim Jims, those things that people use to unlock cars..........at Mardi Gras? Any one else think this is a bad idea? Why not drink koozie's instead, I hear they like that drinking thing at Mardi Gras.

torchbearer
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Wait, you're passing out Slim Jims, those things that people use to unlock cars..........at Mardi Gras? Any one else think this is a bad idea? Why not drink koozie's instead, I hear they like that drinking thing at Mardi Gras.

koozies would be very good idea... especially the kind that have a necklace to carry around your neck,.

Ironyinc
01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Wait, you're passing out Slim Jims, those things that people use to unlock cars..........at Mardi Gras? Any one else think this is a bad idea?

A Slim Jim is a snack, it's like a stick of meat.

clouds
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
lol... slim jims are very skinny people named jim

AircooledVW
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Wow...A Slim Jim is a large bussiness card thing thats about 2"wide and 10" tall that represents Dr. Pauls platform on certain issues.

alaric
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
1.) A low voter turnout in a State still suffering from somewhat of an economic crisis where the memory of Federal bungling is alive & well could be a very very good thing for us!

2.) NO STATE should be given up without one hell of a fight by us. We have supporters of true liberty and freedom there and we need to fight like hell for every vote in every town of every State we can. Our entire country needs us to spread the word and fight the good fight because nobody else is going to go for bat to them. So no, we do not just give up on Louisiana - We let Louisiana know the revolution needs them!
Yes! Ron has repeatedly slammed the feds on their bungling of Katrina and how Texas did well with NO interference from the feds. His message should resonate well in LA!:)

GunnyFreedom
01-23-2008, 12:58 AM
woot!!! I predicted 2nd in NV and 1st in LA, I think the strategy is working. Of course, I also predicted 3rd in SC, and that didn't work out so well. I had thought that 15% OF THE 30% who said they would vote RP if they thought he could win, would have had an attack of concience and actually voted for him. That would have been enough for 3rd, but alas, they preferred the Faux brainjob.

Anyway, the strategy appears to be working. To use it now, we must levy every resource the grassroots has at it's disposal to blast the NV silver and LA gold to every corner of the planet at high warp. Forget waiting for the 09 Feb poll, we need the results of last night EVERYWHERE before stupor-Tuesday. That will kill our biggest roadblock: "I would vote for him if he could win"

Not kidding. If not for that one issue, we'd have had 1st or 2nd in SC. Take it from me, I did extensive canvassing in SC.

driller80545
01-23-2008, 01:18 AM
he's catchin on i'm telling ya

wfd40
01-23-2008, 01:18 AM
LoL! Nice top

Give up!? We have only begun to fight

:)

JWZguy
01-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Give up? From what I saw and have heard, WE WON!

hueylong
01-23-2008, 02:59 AM
We don't have any official results. It feels good, but nothing solid.

nodope0695
01-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Why on earth would we want to give up??? All we've heard tonight are good things out of Louisiana. You read one news story, and you're talking about giving up??????????? Sheeesh. Sometimes I gotta wonder about this forum.:confused:

brandon13830
01-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in a Huckabee forum or something?

armand61685
01-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Shouldn't this thread be in a Huckabee forum or something?

lol