PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to make a "Permanent" third party.

Son of Freedom
12-29-2007, 11:40 AM
What would it take to convert our system into a 3 party system? I mean a real 3 party system. Wouldn't it be nice to walk into a voting booth and ALWAYS have more than 2 choices presented to you, especially a better choice? I think it would. Yes, I know, technically speaking you can have a third choice, but I think you know what I'm asking about here.

Also, what would it take to start a whole new party and platform? While the Libertarian party already exists it has it's drawbacks, apparently enough that it's never gone mainstream.

I would take the best aspects of all 3 of these major parties and put them into one coherent working platform.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-29-2007, 11:47 AM
What would it take to convert our system into a 3 party system? I mean a real 3 party system. Wouldn't it be nice to walk into a voting booth and ALWAYS have more than 2 choices presented to you, especially a better choice? I think it would. Yes, I know, technically speaking you can have a third choice, but I think you know what I'm asking about here.

Also, what would it take to start a whole new party and platform? While the Libertarian party already exists it has it's drawbacks, apparently enough that it's never gone mainstream.

LP's not gone mainstream for the same reasons other 3rd parties have problems. Repubs and dems protect themselves with laws that are favorable to them. If we really had a free market of political ideas, there might be 20-30 parties.

It doesn't take long to look at repubs and dems and see plenty of people and ideas that just don't belong together. The problem is that they are trying to race to 51%. You need a a fairly large system change for other parties to be at all viable, which would be fought tooth and nail by the major parties.

Kingfisher
12-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Any third, fourth, fifth parties are are destroyed by the MSN. Very similar to what they are attempting to do to Dr. Paul