PDA

View Full Version : Just Had a Five Hour Meeting W/ Debbie Hopper from HQ

derdy
12-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Well, not JUST NOW, but last night. I was super-tired when I got home last night and went straight to bed, so that's why I'm typing it now.

First, a few things that Debbie told me that are very important for everyone:

1. Make sure you, everyone in your meetup, and everyone you know who supports Ron Paul goes to https://www.ronpaul2008.com/join/ and signs up.
This is critically important! She said of most of the people she's talked to from meetup groups only about 30% of them are registered with the site.

2. Take care of your own backyard first! There's a lot of excitement in IA & NH, but make sure you have all your ducks in a row in your state FIRST

3. Become a delegate and know your primary/caucus process in your state. She also stressed the need for precinct captains and for them to perform the duties of a precinct captain (ie calling voters in your precinct, identifying Ron Paul supporters, getting out the vote, etc).

The first, I'd say, hour and a half was Debbie addressing the primary process in MO and answering questions. Debbie is very knowledgeable and a veteran in politics and she knows all her stuff. I know there's a lot of doubt about HQ's ability, but after talking with her that shored up any doubts I may of had.

There were a lot of former Buchanan supporters that worked grassroots for him in St. Louis and MO in general (Debbie included). One of the gentelman that participated in the delegate process described what it was like. He said when the Buchaninites won and they elected a Buchaninite chairman, they literally had to rip the microphone out of the previous chairman's hand (he said he was a Doleshevic :D)

About seven of us stuck around and just hung out with Debbie to 'shoot-the-breeze.' She shared a lot of great information with us as far as voter turnout for the primaries in MO in the 2000 election (Ron Paul can win the primaries EASILY IMO), what it's like at HQ, what Ron is like etc.

I also asked about Ron security detail. She said there is one person on HQ, but whenever they travel there's always a contingent of off-duty police officers present. She said that after the post-debate rally in MI, things changed as far as Dr. Paul going into the crowd. Everyone at HQ freaked out as they watched Ron Paul on justintv, literally be engulfed by the crowd to the point where they couldn't see him anymore. Don't expect Dr. Paul to be doing that too much anymore.

Also, money-bombs are awesome, but they create a lot of chaos for HQ. This wasn't a complaint, just an FYI (she was just describing what it's like to work at HQ). Right after the last money-bomb, HQ hired ten people and immediately sent them to IA.

In OH, they contracted a company out to help with gathering signatures.

HQ has a 'SWAT' team. They send these people to primaries and caucuses and make sure there are no dirty tricks going on. For example, during the delegation process for Buchanan, all the delegates for Buchanan were distracted for free food and drinks in a seperate room while the votes were cast (this was in MO). Dirty tricks like that are quite frequent and that's why they have the 'SWAT' team.
Debbie said these people are professionals and have been in the game a long time.

Also, if you're going to be a delegate and you're a big person, there's a floor position for the delegate (kind of like a bouncer from the way Debbie described it). She said I'd fill that position well (I'm 6'2" 262#s)

HQ sometimes peeks in on these forums in case you were wondering.

We talked about a WHOLE lot of stuff, so I may remember something in a few minutes and come back and update thread

When we got up to leave, I looked at my watch and it said 11:30pm!! :eek: (the meeting started at 6:30pm)

I have great confidence in the campaign and last night was fantastic. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the database and start making some calls and getting out the vote. I'm also going to be a delegate! :D

If you have any questions, feel free to post them. As I said, we talked about A LOT, so I may have forgot something.

Oh, and Bradley in DC, she gave you high marks. ;)

Peace,
Denny

jrich4rpaul
12-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for this!

Especiall this, which proved we need to focus on raising money on a regular basis from now on, not once a month.

"Also, money-bombs are awesome, but they create a lot of chaos for HQ. This wasn't a complaint, just an FYI (she was just describing what it's like to work at HQ)."

ItsTime
12-29-2007, 07:48 AM
thanks for the insight. good read

walt
12-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Well, not JUST NOW, but last night. I was super-tired when I got home last night and went straight to bed, so that's why I'm typing it now.

1. Make sure you, everyone in your meetup, and everyone you know who supports Ron Paul goes to https://www.ronpaul2008.com/join/ and signs up.
This is critically important! She said of most of the people she's talked to from meetup groups only about 30% of them are registered with the site.

I wish they were collecting phone numbers - relying on email does not allow spontaneous event planning and has other risks.

derdy
12-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I wish they were collecting phone numbers - relying on email does not allow spontaneous event planning and has other risks.

The https://www.ronpaul2008.com/join/ page has a telephone number field that is required to be filled in.

jesshwarren
12-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Thank you. Nice to know HQ is doing well.

ExpatinArgentina
12-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Thank

Menthol Patch
12-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Awesome meeting!

LibertyEagle
12-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks derdy. :)

slamhead
12-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Signed up for the official campaign...

Cowlesy
12-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the update.

voytechs
12-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the update.

We need more frequent updates such as these. HQ should realize that communication is the key, they don't have to give out their secrets but keep the grassroots on track. If they'd assign even a single person to communicate with this forum (through a proxy if needed), then that would squelch a lot of the panics like we had with IA delegates recently.

walt
12-29-2007, 08:10 AM
The https://www.ronpaul2008.com/join/ page has a telephone number field that is required to be filled in.

Good, they took that feedback :D

DealzOnWheelz
12-29-2007, 08:11 AM
good reporting

Cyclone
12-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Great post. Thank you.

A lesson I learned in my state. We relied on the official campaign coordinator to tell us deadlines for becoming Precinct Committeemen. Sadly, he didn't that was important and we found out after working night and day for nearly a week and recruiting nearly 300 people that it was all for nothing because we had missed the deadline and not one of these folks will have the power to vote for delegates.

I don't know how to tell you to get the info, because the groups play tricks and lie and are deceitful. For example, we had a December 31st deadline to become a PC, but those PCs have to be approved by a board and that board's last meeting of the year was in November. Oh, they have dates on the calendar for December, but every year for 30 years or so they cancel the December meetings so only those "in the know" know the real deadline.

Our state coordinator did know these rules, but he did not think it was important to share it with us because he is working on getting people in for the next election. I guess Ron Paul wasn't terribly important to him.

So here I was expecting to become a PC and now I am useless.

Just advice to all, this is politics and it couldn't be dirtier.

Sandra
12-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Cyclone, it sounds as if your state committee is in violation of the National Committee rules. They must adhere to the national bylaws. Report them ASAP!

derdy
12-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the update.

We need more frequent updates such as these. HQ should realize that communication is the key, they don't have to give out their secrets but keep the grassroots on track. If they'd assign even a single person to communicate with this forum (through a proxy if needed), then that would squelch a lot of the panics like we had with IA delegates recently.

I agree.

This was something another gentleman and I mentioned. Maybe have a daily blog on the HQ website or some kind of communication. I have Debbie's email address and will be contacting her when I get back from a Christmas party later tonight. Maybe we can hammer out the details of exactly what kind of updates we'd like to see.

european
12-29-2007, 08:19 AM
nice article :D

Cyclone
12-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Cyclone, it sounds as if your state committee is in violation of the National Committee rules. They must adhere to the national bylaws. Report them ASAP!

I will look into it. Thanks.

Sandra
12-29-2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?Guid=a4cc4fcb-6043-4af2-860a-41ae912a2c42

Cyclone
12-29-2007, 08:31 AM
http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?Guid=a4cc4fcb-6043-4af2-860a-41ae912a2c42

Sadly, it looks like the penalty for a state messing up is a loss of delegates. Not sure that will ultimately help the cause.

RP-Republican
12-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Great post. Thank you.
second that

Highstreet
12-29-2007, 08:49 AM
I agree.

This was something another gentleman and I mentioned. Maybe have a daily blog on the HQ website or some kind of communication. I have Debbie's email address and will be contacting her when I get back from a Christmas party later tonight. Maybe we can hammer out the details of exactly what kind of updates we'd like to see.

Derdy,

You didn't happen to ask for an update on the Jan 6, Fox debate, did you?

PatriotOne
12-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks Derdy. I second the motion that it would be gret to have fequent updates like this. I know I feel very disconnected from the campaign sometimes and this update was a great motivator...and I don't usually get motivated easily before my 3rd cup of coffee!

derdy
12-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Derdy,

You didn't happen to ask for an update on the Jan 6, Fox debate, did you?

Yes, that was discussed.

I don't know if I should say anything because of HQ's official release:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-releases/94/has-fox-news-excluded-ron-paul

Debbie may not have had the most up-to-date information and I don't want something she said last night to be taken as the official word on the matter.

chiplitfam
12-29-2007, 09:23 AM
We met last night for over two hours. The most important thing we all can do is go to www.ronpaulfriendsusa.com join and get involved. We must make phone calls, go door to door (the old fashion way), talk with everyone you come in contact with, etc. The primary is the key. Some facts, we calculated that we need at least 50 to 75 votes for Ron at each precinct to capture a majority. This is why it is imoirtant to know your voters in your pct. More later. Chip

NOTE: Anyboby in the USA can join and use this website. It is protected and safe.

freelance
12-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey Derby, thanks for the thoughtful writeup. Great information.

dhayes501
12-29-2007, 09:56 AM
i'm 6'5 260, what do the bouncers need to do?

Bradley in DC
12-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Even though Debbie says it scares her when I keep wishing we could clone her, if 10% of the official staff were as competent, committed, receptive and responsive as Debbie, Carol Paul would be measuring for the drapes in the Oval Office already.

DirtMcGirt
12-29-2007, 10:36 AM
bump

Hope
12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Even though Debbie says it scares her when I keep wishing we could clone her, if 10% of the official staff were as competent, committed, receptive and responsive as Debbie, Carol Paul would be measuring for the drapes in the Oval Office already.

My heart hurts when I read comments like this. What if you were on the HQ staff, how would you feel? Being a Ron Paul supporter means supporting the Ron Paul campaign. There was absolutely no need for you to give a backhanded compliment like that with thinly veiled contempt for the people who busting their asses for our sake.

If you have a specific problem with some of the staff, be mature and respectful for all involved by settling that as adults between you. Sweeping accusations are unproductive at best and downright petty at worst.

Macon, GA
12-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I was already signed up, but just signed up hubby too.... Also emailed everyone I know who supports RP to do the same.

hillertexas
12-29-2007, 10:41 AM
bump

ecliptic
12-29-2007, 10:42 AM

My new hero!

Debbie should teach "Grassroots 101" on web TV for the benefit of relative newbies to the process like myself. And I would gladly pay a couple of hundred for a conference "On Being Debbie" or maybe "101 secrets of effective activists" or "dirty secrets of the caucus process"...

Thanks Denny for your excellent info!

bucfish
12-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Good read and awesome to see great communication going on. Let's keep this post near the top for awhile for all to read!!!

wfd40
12-29-2007, 11:05 AM

Well, I'd imagine that with nearly 19million in the band, HQ can put up some solid cashola to recruit some serious talent no???

Adamsa
12-29-2007, 11:15 AM
My heart hurts when I read comments like this. What if you were on the HQ staff, how would you feel? Being a Ron Paul supporter means supporting the Ron Paul campaign. There was absolutely no need for you to give a backhanded compliment like that with thinly veiled contempt for the people who busting their asses for our sake.

If you have a specific problem with some of the staff, be mature and respectful for all involved by settling that as adults between you. Sweeping accusations are unproductive at best and downright petty at worst.

Well, not neccessarily. Being a supporter means supporting Ron Paul, not his campaign.

murph
12-29-2007, 11:18 AM

I have not met Debbie and am glad to read such a positive report. I agree with Bradley's comment - I've interacted with a few people from the campaign and have been very disappointed by their demeanor towards the grass roots supporters. I expected a lot more support but instead I've heard mostly complaining and witnessed a lot of confusion.

A campaign for president is not an easy thing to manage, but IMO they have missed a LOT of opportunities to capitalize on the grass roots enthusiasm.

derdy
12-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I have not met Debbie and am glad to read such a positive report. I agree with Bradley's comment - I've interacted with a few people from the campaign and have been very disappointed by their demeanor towards the grass roots supporters. I expected a lot more support but instead I've heard mostly complaining and witnessed a lot of confusion.

A campaign for president is not an easy thing to manage, but IMO they have missed a LOT of opportunities to capitalize on the grass roots enthusiasm.

You'll be happy to hear that Debbie opened PRAISING the grassroots, saying that everything we're doing is having a huge impact and we are doing something that she has not witnessed in her history in politics.

And we have that on video, too :D

ghemminger
12-29-2007, 11:26 AM

2. Take care of your own backyard first! There's a lot of excitement in IA & NH, but make sure you have all your ducks in a row in your state FIRST

3. Become a delegate and know your primary/caucus process in your state. She also stressed the need for precinct captains and for them to perform the duties of a precinct captain (ie calling voters in your precinct, identifying Ron Paul supporters, getting out the vote, etc).

The first, I'd say, hour and a half was Debbie addressing the primary process in MO and answering questions. Debbie is very knowledgeable and a veteran in politics and she knows all her stuff. I know there's a lot of doubt about HQ's ability, but after talking with her that shored up any doubts I may of had.

There were a lot of former Buchanan supporters that worked grassroots for him in St. Louis and MO in general (Debbie included). One of the gentelman that participated in the delegate process described what it was like. He said when the Buchaninites won and they elected a Buchaninite chairman, they literally had to rip the microphone out of the previous chairman's hand (he said he was a Doleshevic :D)

About seven of us stuck around and just hung out with Debbie to 'shoot-the-breeze.' She shared a lot of great information with us as far as voter turnout for the primaries in MO in the 2000 election (Ron Paul can win the primaries EASILY IMO), what it's like at HQ, what Ron is like etc.

I also asked about Ron security detail. She said there is one person on HQ, but whenever they travel there's always a contingent of off-duty police officers present. She said that after the post-debate rally in MI, things changed as far as Dr. Paul going into the crowd. Everyone at HQ freaked out as they watched Ron Paul on justintv, literally be engulfed by the crowd to the point where they couldn't see him anymore. Don't expect Dr. Paul to be doing that too much anymore.

Also, money-bombs are awesome, but they create a lot of chaos for HQ. This wasn't a complaint, just an FYI (she was just describing what it's like to work at HQ). Right after the last money-bomb, HQ hired ten people and immediately sent them to IA.

HQ has a 'SWAT' team. They send these people to primaries and caucuses and make sure there are no dirty tricks going on. For example, during the delegation process for Buchanan, all the delegates for Buchanan were distracted for free food and drinks in a seperate room while the votes were cast (this was in MO). Dirty tricks like that are quite frequent and that's why they have the 'SWAT' team.
Debbie said these people are professionals and have been in the game a long time.

Also, if you're going to be a delegate and you're a big person, there's a floor position for the delegate (kind of like a bouncer from the way Debbie described it). She said I'd fill that position well (I'm 6'2" 262#s)

We talked about a WHOLE lot of stuff, so I may remember something in a few minutes and come back and update thread

When we got up to leave, I looked at my watch and it said 11:30pm!! :eek: (the meeting started at 6:30pm)

I have great confidence in the campaign and last night was fantastic. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the database and start making some calls and getting out the vote. I'm also going to be a delegate! :D

If you have any questions, feel free to post them. As I said, we talked about A LOT, so I may have forgot something.

Peace,
Denny

Thanks Denny! Anytime you are welcome on the show

OferNave
12-29-2007, 11:31 AM
This seems to sync with what I was told, and have been trying to promote here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=59274

OferNave
12-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I have not met Debbie and am glad to read such a positive report.

I chatted with her for about an hour in late September when I drove through Arlington and enjoyed it. She's a straight talker.

tsetsefly
12-29-2007, 11:34 AM

:eek::eek::eek:

Is there anything we can do to change this?

tsetsefly
12-29-2007, 11:35 AM

there has been many documented cases here in the forums of HQ staff incompetence...

tsetsefly
12-29-2007, 11:37 AM
You'll be happy to hear that Debbie opened PRAISING the grassroots, saying that everything we're doing is having a huge impact and we are doing something that she has not witnessed in her history in politics.

is that video going to be on youtube?

Nyte
12-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the update!

I'm a little concerned to hear that Ron Paul's security detail consists of only off-duty police officers.

pacelli
12-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the update!

I'm a little concerned to hear that Ron Paul's security detail consists of only off-duty police officers.

This is a good thing - they can legally conceal carry.

OferNave
12-29-2007, 12:22 PM
there has been many documented cases here in the forums of HQ staff incompetence...

In comparison to us, because we are always perfect?

Nyte
12-29-2007, 12:37 PM

So can I, but that doesn't make me good at personal security.

Bradley in DC
12-29-2007, 12:39 PM
What if you were on the HQ staff, how would you feel? Being a Ron Paul supporter means supporting the Ron Paul campaign.

I meant to type if ten percent of them were HALF as...

HQ staff should feel that they need to be more on the ball and more receptive, respectful and responsive to the grassroots.

I do TRULY support Ron Paul--enough to want the best for him (like a staff of Debbies).

Trassin
12-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Watchout Derdy, Art is going to come looking for you for leaking "secrets"... lol.

alaric
12-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Signed up for the official campaign...

made sure i was in the database. may have signed up before, but just making sure:D

alaric
12-29-2007, 02:02 PM

not meant to demean anyone by showing favoritism, but we have contacted HQ a few times and usually talk to Dennis. he is also very competent and very supportive! so there are others there, too!;)

alaric
12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Is there anything we can do to change this?

i don't know if this helps, but on money bombs we don't pledge. We just donate on our credit cards on that date. I think that saves paperwork and handling.:rolleyes:

Thom1776
12-29-2007, 02:09 PM

I just emailed Debbie to let her know I'm 6'3", 200 lbs.

alaric
12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
nice article :D

actually ONE pre 1981 copper cent is worth more than an frn!;)

Mark
12-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Peace,
Denny

AWESOME post Denny! Thanks Brother!! I'm "resting assured" on a lot of things now!

Ernest
12-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Agreed. Thanks for this information.

TinaBopper
12-29-2007, 07:51 PM

I've signed up at the site several times and have NEVER received confirmation and/or any notification from this site directly....makes me wonder if they have ever received my registration(s). Perhaps their is a glitch in their system or is this to be expected?

Tina

FreeTraveler
12-29-2007, 07:58 PM

YouTuuuubbbbeeeee!

liberty_Forever
12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah great post... I think campaign is doing the best they can despite their shortcomings.

We (the grassroots) are not perfect either.

Let just all do the best we can!!

Sey.Naci
12-29-2007, 08:27 PM

I've signed up at the site several times and have NEVER received confirmation and/or any notification from this site directly....makes me wonder if they have ever received my registration(s). Perhaps their is a glitch in their system or is this to be expected?Tina, have you checked your email's junk folder? It's possible that the campaign has responded and the confirmation email was filtered as junk or spam by your email program. (Hotmail is particularly bad for this.)

Not being an American and therefore unable to sign up myself, I don't know if the campaign does indeed send confirmation emails, but it would make sense that they would. But even if they don't, with your having signed up, you should expect to receive other correspondence from them.

Mark
12-29-2007, 09:15 PM
I meant to type if ten percent of them were HALF as...

HQ staff should feel that they need to be more on the ball and more receptive, respectful and responsive to the grassroots.

I do TRULY support Ron Paul--enough to want the best for him (like a staff of Debbies).

Maybe they should hire grassroots reps to field inquiries.

Although I think there may be FEC laws involved. Complete separation ect.

No harm on having people there to answer questions and pass on ideas/suggestions I would imagine

The Good Doctor
12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Great post Denny! Look forward to hearing more from you as you can recall it! :D

The Good Doctor
12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
If we are receiving e-mails then we have joined the campaign then correct?

Spirit of '76
12-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks for this. Great thread with good advice... :)

terryhamel
12-30-2007, 12:53 AM
The primary is the key. Some facts, we calculated that we need at least 50 to 75 votes for Ron at each precinct to capture a majority. This is why it is imoirtant to know your voters in your pct. More later. Chip

Did you mean to say 50 to 75 percent votes for Ron at each precinct? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm curious if this is dependent on precinct size or in a particular state.

qwerty
12-30-2007, 02:20 AM

Peace,
Denny

This should be e-mailed to every meet-up group!!!

kutibah
12-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Thanks for bumping this! Great post!

derdy
12-30-2007, 05:34 AM
I remembered a couple more points from our meeting with Debbie. When we were 'shooting-the-breeze' with her someone asked her if Ron Paul has any idea what's going on or is he surrounded by advisors?

According to Debbie (paraphrasing) Ron Paul is taking the pulse of the grassroots and he is involved in a lot of the decision making. This was in response to concerns made that perhaps Ron Paul wasn't involved enough in the campaign and that his advisors, malicious or not, were not handling things properly.

During conversation I brought up Sibel Edmonds and, according to Debbie, Mrs. Edmonds was supposed to endorse Dr. Paul. :D

Menthol Patch
12-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Derdy,

That is awesome! Sibel Edmonds endorsing Ron Paul! That is fantastic!

austin356
12-30-2007, 05:39 AM

so can I.

derdy
12-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Just had remembered another thing Debbie said at the meeting.

There has been 8,000 people in FL that have changed party and become Republican. I thought she said 80k, but I'd rather be conservative and be wrong than over-estimate by 72k!

Moxxar
12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Do you know how many people voted in the Florida primary in 2000?

T206
12-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Derdy, thanks for posting this...very good info to have, and Im happy to see that the campaign isnt anywhere near as incompetent as everyone likes to say they are. :)

BlueCalico
12-31-2007, 05:00 AM
Awesome! We were also really impressed with Debbie Hopper when she came to KC. Unfortunately, we didn't get to keep her there for 5 hours, only 3 - she had to drive back to St. Louis that night in sleet and a snow storm. I don't think she got to St. Louis until about 3:00 am. I called her while she was on the road to make sure all was OK & we talked a while longer & shared some of the things you said.

I feel really good about Debbie guiding us, with all of her experience & the fact that her heart belongs to Missouri - her home is in St. Louis, but works in DC for our hero!