PDA

View Full Version : What Illness or Event Turn you into a Health freedom "warrior"?

Birdlady
12-29-2007, 01:02 AM
I always love to hear people's stories of what got them turned on (:p) to Ron Paul. Well rather than Ron Paul, I wonder what got people turned on to health freedom or alternative health.

What's your story?
Was it a single event or illness or something different all together?

Thanks! :D

Edit: Yikes that was post 666

Gunpartsguy
12-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I always love to hear people's stories of what got them turned on (:p) to Ron Paul. Well rather than Ron Paul, I wonder what got people turned on to health freedom or alternative health.

What's your story?
Was it a single event or illness or something different all together?

Thanks! :D

Edit: Yikes that was post 666

My wife has always been into herbs and spices. She has all kinds of neat goodies growing on our property. The mint and the feverfew are a couple of my favorites. She introduced me to using herbs for many minor ailments. They work!

The thing that really swung us into it is our 6YO son. After his first set of vaccinations...he started to have developmental problems. Tantrums, OCD etc...they diagnosed him with Aspburgers syndrome. A form of autism. My beautiful wife studied it on the internet and came up with taking him off of milk and wheat products. That got us into reading labels much more carefully and we noticed other things we didn't like on many food labels. Long story short. It was the milk. He is now a bright and happy boy that is in 1st grade working at a level with his peers.

The bottom line for the pharmaceuticals and food producers is money. Of course! Like any business. But......I don't think that they as organizations really care about our health. The pharmaceuticals make more money when we're sick. The food producers in general... as long as we don't get poisoned right away where we can sue them for their negligence.

We don't trust big business of any kind. We're forced to use some like insurance companies. But we try to buy our food locally. Or grow it ourselves. We also stay very far away from WALMART. I haven't stepped foot in a WALMART in 3 years now.

Watch out for GM (genetically modified) seeds! We got some GM lettuce year before last that wouldn't seed out when it got hot. As it should, to supply us with the next crop. No markings on the package to tell us! We now get our seeds from good sources on the net now that guarantee no GM.

We bake most of our own bread now using bulk flour and the other ingredients from companies that guarantee that they are natural. It's so nice to smell baking bread in our home every few days or so...............

Suzu
12-29-2007, 01:45 PM
I quit eating meat in 1969 when I realized that animal bodies accumulate pesticides from their feed. I stopped eating shrimp a few years later because they're bottom-feeders and that's where all the gunk in the ocean ends up. A year or so later, I quit eating dairy products, eggs, all forms of refined sugar and other refined foods.

Despite all my dietary precautions, having grown up in a heavily polluted enviroment on a diet heavy in red meat and other unhealthful stuff, in October of 1974 I was diagnosed with "terminal" cancer of the colon and told that I had two months left to live IF I was lucky, and that no treatment would help me at that late stage.

I had lost 30 lbs. in one month, was hardly able to walk, couldn't digest food at all, and my complexion took on a greenish-gray hue. That's when I was advised to seek help from a Chinese doctor. I got a referral to one who was practicing illegally in Massachusetts. She saved my life.

Within six months I was working 12-hour shifts at hard labor, riding a bicycle to and from work every day to save on subway fare, taking martial arts classes in the evenings, and studying Oriental medicine in my spare time. In subsequent years I helped many people heal themselves of grave illnesses.

Needless to say, I have little faith in western medicine, and so throughout the years whenever I've had health issues I've been reluctant to waste any time going to a "regular" doctor. The fact that most insurance won't cover the kinds of treatment I prefer has made my life difficult, since I've never been rich enough to afford much in the way of health care.

Birdlady
12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Wow those are incredible stories. Thanks for sharing!

My story is more gradual. I somehow stumbled upon Dr. Mercola and that really got me deep in how terrible our food is and how corrupt the FDA is.

M health is really terrible right now and even with all this knowledge, I can't fix myself. It is very frustrating. :(

Suzu
12-30-2007, 12:49 AM
I somehow stumbled upon Dr. Mercola and that really got me deep in how terrible our food is

I didn't need Dr. Mercola to tell me how terrible American food is. I travelled to Italy. There is more flavor (and no doubt more nourishment) in a single string bean there, than in a whole bushel of American string beans. There is no comparison in the flavor of the whole wheat bread. I didn't eat a single food in Italy that didn't exceed all American products taste-wise by at least ten-fold.

I suggest reading Alan Watts' essay "Murder in the Kitchen" if you can find a copy.

When you're done with that, read "Healing Ourselves" by Naburo Muramoto. His much later book, "Natural Immunity" is also excellent.

noxagol
12-30-2007, 07:01 AM
I haven't looked too deeply into alternative health care and food styles yet but I want to. Who wouldn't want to do things like this that are proclaimed to have such wonderful health benefits? I am scared though, because I am a horribly picky eater and a lame eater lol.

Birdlady
12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I haven't looked too deeply into alternative health care and food styles yet but I want to. Who wouldn't want to do things like this that are proclaimed to have such wonderful health benefits? I am scared though, because I am a horribly picky eater and a lame eater lol.

Well there is so much information out there. There is also a lot of DISinformation.

I doubt any one on this board would agree with me completely because each website, book, and doctor proclaims their findings as truth or the health Bible to live by.

I feel that veganism and vegetarian is terrible for you. I also think soy is a disaster. However some health freedom people really feel these are great. The jury is still out for me for those who do not eat animal products. There are certain vitamins and amino acids you cannot get without supplementation if you follow a diet that strict. There are certain situations where reducing meat is a good thing such as when you have cancer. However, in an every day, normal situation, I feel it is quite harmful. You need to buy good quality meat though. Not stuff from walmart. :eek:

I would just start by looking at what's in our food supply. Look at the chemicals in fast food, sit down restaurant food, boxed potatoes, canned soup, salad dressing and how they hide neurotoxins in our foods. You will be surprised at how many toxins you are eating on a daily basis.

I personally like the book wrriten by Russell Blaylock. It is called Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills.

He also wrote a book about "curing" cancer naturally, but quite honestly, it isn't hardcore enough for me. It's just a little too fluffy. I think he was biting his tongue in a lot of the chapters. It was probably because of the strict crack down the FDA has on any doctor who claims to "cure" cancer naturally. It is still a very good read. It is called Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients.

Suzu
12-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I feel that veganism and vegetarian is terrible for you. I also think soy is a disaster. However some health freedom people really feel these are great. The jury is still out for me for those who do not eat animal products. There are certain vitamins and amino acids you cannot get without supplementation if you follow a diet that strict. There are certain situations where reducing meat is a good thing such as when you have cancer. However, in an every day, normal situation, I feel it is quite harmful. You need to buy good quality meat though. Not stuff from walmart. :eek:

I am living proof that nothing "terrible" happens to a person who quits eating meat - as I did almost 40 years ago after having been raised on meat! I didn't resume eating meat once my cancer was gone, but once in a while (like, once every few months) I enjoy a small amount of poultry.

I've continued to eat fish (not shrimp) once or twice a week. I still avoid eggs and dairy products. A few years ago a friend who is a chiropractor urged me to try the "Eat Right for Your Type" diet and since my blood is Type O, I'm supposed to be one of those who needs and can handle animal flesh. Well, after a week of eating good quality meat once a day in small quantity, my legs swelled up to double their normal size. I dropped the stupid diet and the swelling went away, never to return.

I think the farther away we eat on the evolutionary scale (food chain), the better off we are. In other words, plants are better for us than animals, in general, and if we eat flesh, fish are less harmful than red-blooded creatures. And among red-blooded creatures, birds are farther from us than anything that walks on four legs.

noxagol
12-31-2007, 12:05 AM
But I love my cow! I don't think I could give up my steaks.

Suzu
12-31-2007, 01:46 AM
But I love my cow! I don't think I could give up my steaks.

The easiest way to get off meat if you love it is a slow weaning process. Substitute foods that simulate the flavor, texture and protein jolt that you get from beef. I had no trouble giving up steak because aside from the juice (blood) I did not enjoy it. The more you chew a piece of steak, the less flavor it has. (The opposite is true of whole grains.) Try some bluefin tuna - raw.

hard@work
12-31-2007, 02:27 AM
The day I came down with an incredibly painful condition I watched "Sicko". I was not happy of course. After I heard Paul speak about medical care and the way it used to be, then got further into the monetary policy issue... I figured it out. It didn't take me long to put a two and two together and realize who it was that would truly benefit from "socialized medicine".

As much as I like the idea of socialized medicine it should be handled locally if at all. I realized that the democrats were the puppets of big pharma.

Birdlady
12-31-2007, 03:29 AM
I am living proof that nothing "terrible" happens to a person who quits eating meat - as I did almost 40 years ago after having been raised on meat! I didn't resume eating meat once my cancer was gone, but once in a while (like, once every few months) I enjoy a small amount of poultry.

I've continued to eat fish (not shrimp) once or twice a week. I still avoid eggs and dairy products. A few years ago a friend who is a chiropractor urged me to try the "Eat Right for Your Type" diet and since my blood is Type O, I'm supposed to be one of those who needs and can handle animal flesh. Well, after a week of eating good quality meat once a day in small quantity, my legs swelled up to double their normal size. I dropped the stupid diet and the swelling went away, never to return.

I think the farther away we eat on the evolutionary scale (food chain), the better off we are. In other words, plants are better for us than animals, in general, and if we eat flesh, fish are less harmful than red-blooded creatures. And among red-blooded creatures, birds are farther from us than anything that walks on four legs.

Well eating fish once or twice a week is enough though. I need to eat protein a little more often, like 3-4 times a week.

My husband's brother hasn't eaten meat, milk, or any animal product for 4+ years and he looks terrible. He is terribly underweight and doesn't have that glow in his face. I am not sure if you understand what I mean or not, but he looks dull.

I have a huge aversion to meat. However, I never consider myself a vegetarian or a vegan. I wouldn't call you one either. :)

Unfortunately I think I am allergic to fish, so I cannot eat that. I must get my protein from chicken or turkey.

Eggs from cage free, grass fed hens are great and raw milk is absolutely delicious. You just have to know the source! The first time I drank raw milk, I was at a friend's house and was a little worried. I usually have trouble digesting milk, but with the raw milk I didn't!

I try to follow the carbo-slow oxidizer nutritional diet. Recently I have slipped some though. :p

@ noxagol
Hehe I hate steaks, so I can't give you much advice. Really all red meat is quite disgusting and as I said earlier, I have a HUGE aversion to it. I don't think a meat free diet is for everyone. My husband does terrible on a diet without a large portion of it being meat (not necessarily red meat, but just a flesh protein of any type).

SlapItHigh
12-31-2007, 10:14 AM

The thing is, our water is so polluted that fish contain a lot of toxins. Obviously, animals on land contain a lot of toxins as well but organic free range options help a little. The closest thing would be deep sea fish but that is rarely an option.

SlapItHigh
12-31-2007, 10:22 AM
I've always been into the natural side of things. What really moved me to become more of a "health freedom warrier" was having a baby. Childbirth in America is completely jacked.

Wendi
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm one of the many thousands of Americans who know there is a problem but (a) can't afford to buy organic and (b) don't have the option of growing/raising my own food :(

M1A2 Tanker 4 Ron Paul
01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
A. I would to buy irradiated foods, because they have no chemical preservatives in them.

B. My mom suffered for years, because DHHS would not give her a medical card; even though she was diagoned with myatonic muscular dystrophy/ Pregant 13 year olds were given medical cards blindly, not the ones who truly needed them.