PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Forums EXCLUSIVE: Hope Anthem (rough mix) dedication to Ron Paul - DOWNLOAD

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.hopeanthem.com/files/blocks_image_7_1.jpg

Marc will be telling his story in a video soon, but let me give you a quick heads up. Marc has been a good friend of mine, and I of course told him about Ron Paul. That was about 5 weeks ago now. Well, Marc went bananas for Ron Paul. He asked me if people would be receptive to him writing a Ron Paul song. I told him that I think people would like that a lot. His music is very influenced by Bob Dylan and Billy Joel, so there's not too many people that don't like it. He considered the implications, both good and bad, of writing a political song that aligned itself with the Ron Paul Revolution. It could upset a lot of his existing audience. He decided that speaking out was more important. So he got to work, and literally an hour after we talked about this, sent me a recording of the chorus. I was blown away and encouraged him to keep going. And he has.

All the instruments on the recording are real, not synthetic, and he played them all except the drums which are played by his brother.

Don't like the mix? Well one thing Marc has decided to do, that we think might be a first, is he's going to release all the individual tracks to the song so anyone can make their own remixes, and we'll publish them on the website for others to download. We're looking forward to seeing rap and heavy metal versions :) If you want to use this for a video though, Marc requests that you please wait for the release version. Marc has promised to never charge for the song, though of course it will be included on his next CD. I can't believe another artist is trying to make money off of the Ron Paul Revolution by selling their song all over MySpace. We promise that Hope Anthem will always be for free download in the highest quality, even once it is on the iTunes Music store with Marc's other work. (iTunes won't let us put it on there for free download :( )

UPDATE: Please visit the main website to download the release version.

http://www.HopeAnthem.com

Please post back your feedback below, good or bad. We really appreciate it, but Marc does hope we'll all like it. :)

Troyhand
12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
good song. catchy.

miamiist
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
That was great! Seriously, kudos.

ClockwiseSpark
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Is this the slick Nashville version?

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Is this the slick Nashville version?

No, and if I have any say in it, you'll never hear it :) They killed the song. Was really bad.

ClockwiseSpark
12-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Well I like. The only thing I can say is I'd like to hear an acoustic version.
I'm a Jack Johnson and Ben Harper fan so there's my bias.

Azprint
12-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Sweet. Now would be nice for someone to make a video of Revolution with this song.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
We will be having a competition for this. Marc's chucking in a couple of iPods to reward people that make the best videos. See the site: http://HopeAnthem.com

mdevour
12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
That's a pretty song, dude! Give him kudos from me.

[EDIT: Woops! Nevermind! The lyrics are on the hopeanthem.com site...]

Can you post the lyrics for those of us who are hearing challenged? :o

Peace,

Mike D.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Link for the lyrics in my initial post above. :)

Compulsive1
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Overall- Very nice.
I'm an ex recording studio owner and producer now working for a big touring/installations company so I have a bit of "insider" experience.
Here are a couple of my observations:

Intro is a bit weak. I would spend a bit more work on it
Get rid of the pre-reverb on some lines. It's a gimmick that doesn't add much to the song's message. Add some more backing vocal harmonies instead.
The plucked strings bridge doesn't grab me as it has potential to.

Lead vocals- very good, lyrics- very good, mix -very good.
I would love to load the tracks in my DAW and give it a spin- that's a great idea for a grass roots song.

Mandrik
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
I really enjoyed that. Thanks!

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Overall- Very nice.
I'm an ex recording studio owner and producer now working for a big touring/installations company so I have a bit of "insider" experience.
Here are a couple of my observations:

Intro is a bit weak. I would spend a bit more work on it
Get rid of the pre-reverb on some lines. It's a gimmick that doesn't add much to the song's message. Add some more backing vocal harmonies instead.
The plucked strings bridge doesn't grab me as it has potential to.

Lead vocals- very good, lyrics- very good, mix -very good.
I would love to load the tracks in my DAW and give it a spin- that's a great idea for a grass roots song.

Thanks! The intro is already changed, but we thought to release this anyway. I will pass this onto Marc. And yes, on Jan 1st you'll be able to download all the tracks and remix to your hearts content :) We look forward to hearing what others come up with...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 10:52 PM
bump...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 12:08 AM
bump....

pacelli
12-29-2007, 12:16 AM
We will be having a competition for this. Marc's chucking in a couple of iPods to reward people that make the best videos. See the site: http://HopeAnthem.com

Ok, I'm going to look into doing a heavy metal thing - please tell me what Key the song is on Guitar? Sounds like D minor? Any chance of getting a tab?

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 12:50 AM
It's in C#. Do you know the Nashville number system? Marc charts his music in that system. If you need tabs, he'll try and have them on the site for everyone next week.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 01:30 AM
awesome!

I love the idea of releasing the track individually. I'm rubbish wit ProTools, but I'm sure there's someone on here that knows what they're doing.

robert4rp08
12-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Nice! Pretty impressive. I can barely crank out a short email in an hour. ahha

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the great feedback guys...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 03:36 AM
bump

pacelli
12-29-2007, 03:50 AM
It's in C#. Do you know the Nashville number system? Marc charts his music in that system. If you need tabs, he'll try and have them on the site for everyone next week.

Thanks, that'll be a big help. I don't know the nashville number system - but could probably figure it out. Tabs would be most helpful. I'm already working on the drums.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
bump

hillertexas
12-29-2007, 11:19 AM
very good
I would like to hear the words "Ron Paul" somewhere though.

Swmorgan77
12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Don't like the mix? Well one thing Marc has decided to do, that we think might be a first, is he's going to release all the individual tracks to the song so anyone can make their own remixes, and we'll publish them on the website for others to download. We're looking forward to seeing rap and heavy metal versions If you want to use this for a video though, Marc requests that you please wait for the release version. Marc has promised to never charge for the song, though of course it will be included on his next CD. I can't believe another artist is trying to make money off of the Ron Paul Revolution by selling their song all over MySpace. We promise that Hope Anthem will always be for free download in the highest quality, even once it is on the iTunes Music store with Marc's other work. (iTunes won't let us put it on there for free download )

I'm excited for this. I'm also a recording artist however I would see no reason to change most of it... the song is great. I will take the time to make a version with some tasteful, stylistically consistent electric leads added into the mix.

Maybe if I get crazy I'll make the heavy metal version :)

Ben Elliott
12-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Who's with me? What if every radio station is sent this song and it gets played on national radio. This song could get pretty big.

I wouldn't mind remixing this song also. This song is perfect.

t3rmin
12-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Constructive criticism from a music/sound guy:
I'm not crazy about the sound of the bass, especially when it's prominent in the beginning. Not really sure what it is... maybe just EQ.

But I'm really impressed, having been somewhat disappointed with the quality of much of the other music coming out of the Revolution. Nothing against their sentiment and hard work, but this guy seems to really have talent.

Oh one other thing: he seems to be really stretching at the bottom of his range for those low notes at the beginning. The same notes later on sound much better. For absolute perfection I'd suggest a few more takes on the vocals at the beginning. Hey I'm nitpicking, but you asked for it. ;-)

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Great stuff, appreciate the feedback, keep it coming...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I just put up the latest mix... Please listen and post your comments!! Thanks for all your amazing support. Marc is really impressed.

yongrel
12-29-2007, 02:31 PM
This is my semi-layman impression of the second mix:

I like the new intro. Much quicker, much livelier.

The percussion mix seems a little flat to me though. I'd like to hear a bit more slap on the kick drum, maybe a stronger thud.

And the bass overall is a little weak. I think I would prefer a more robust mix, that would allow me to better hear the bass tones that are already there.

Great song!

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I'll pass that along. Thanks... Keep the feedback coming...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 04:31 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 09:00 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Still looking for feedback... Don't just download the music, leave feedback...

Melissa
12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
i thought it was great thanks not a dylan fan so not sure how it compares to his music but I am very much an eagles fan and it was like that to me

Thanks

hillertexas
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
bump

t3rmin
12-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, here's a bunch:

I dig the vocals at the beginning much more on this new mix! Maybe just 'cause there's more instrumentation. I wonder how it'd sound if the bass came in a little later in the intro, though? Just acoustic guitar lick, add piano right hand, then drop in bass and vocals.

Didn't mention it before, but I love the slide, organ, harp, and mandolin(?) accents! However, I think it gets a little "busy" in parts (middle/end area) perhaps? I usually end up guilty of this myself, since I like all the cool stuff I've recorded and want to put it all out there. But less is more. ;-)

Still not crazy about the bass EQ. Needs more punch but a little less bite. Sounds thin. Kind of a folksy song so I'd go for closer to a stand-up fretless bass sound.

I think the way the piano is mic'd doesn't blend well. Too "honkey-tonkey"...? I don't know if it's anathema to him or not, but I'd almost go with an electric piano plugged in direct for a more crisp sound with less resonance.

Once again, disclaimer: these are all minor nitpicks. Great song.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks, keep the feedback coming...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 02:04 AM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 02:48 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 06:02 PM
bump

american.swan
12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
like it. Cool

american.swan
12-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Ok, here's a bunch:

I dig the vocals at the beginning much more on this new mix! Maybe just 'cause there's more instrumentation. I wonder how it'd sound if the bass came in a little later in the intro, though? Just acoustic guitar lick, add piano right hand, then drop in bass and vocals.

Didn't mention it before, but I love the slide, organ, harp, and mandolin(?) accents! However, I think it gets a little "busy" in parts (middle/end area) perhaps? I usually end up guilty of this myself, since I like all the cool stuff I've recorded and want to put it all out there. But less is more. ;-)

Still not crazy about the bass EQ. Needs more punch but a little less bite. Sounds thin. Kind of a folksy song so I'd go for closer to a stand-up fretless bass sound.

I think the way the piano is mic'd doesn't blend well. Too "honkey-tonkey"...? I don't know if it's anathema to him or not, but I'd almost go with an electric piano plugged in direct for a more crisp sound with less resonance.

Once again, disclaimer: these are all minor nitpicks. Great song.

+1

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks, keep them coming...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-30-2007, 10:01 PM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-31-2007, 12:21 AM
bump

RonPaulVolunteer
12-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming...

jake
12-31-2007, 01:58 PM
a few electric guitar riffs added and this would be perfect :)

Beardbar
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
this is really good, especially the very first lyric.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks!

Delain
12-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Great song! Good voice also.

Personal preference: A rock version would be awesome imo. Beat is perfect for it. I like it with a little more umph. :D

RonPaulVolunteer
12-31-2007, 03:25 PM
The cool thing is, tomorrow you'll be able to download all the individual instrument tracks and make it sound however you like. We're really excited to see what people come up with...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-31-2007, 09:32 PM
The final track, within a few hours... yahooo!! :D