PDA

View Full Version : Sam waterstons movement to elect a third party candidate!!

fedup100
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.unity08.com/

This is a good thing....we need to dig into it and make Ron Paul the first nomination for president through this first online virtual convention.

1. Elect a truly bipartisan Unity Ticket to the White House team in 2008.
2. Make history by nominating the next President and Vice-President through the first ever online, virtual convention.
3. Demand a focus on crucial issues by creating a New American Agenda.

More reasons why we need to join together to take our country back:

* When Will Voters Say They're Not Going To Take It Anymore? "These are tough times" for Congress, "where partisan battles have led to little progress on big issues and have made lawmakers collectively less popular than" President Bush, Reuters reports. Congress "starts the second half of 2007 with an anemic job approval rating of about 25 percent, down from 43 percent in January, with one Gallup poll ranking lawmakers at 14 percent."

* Money Is Already Out Of Control: "In the first 100 days of 2007, the big field of Republican and Democratic candidates running for president collectively spent more than $50 million campaigning," Christian Science Monitor reports.

* Is Reelection Always Lawmakers' Top Concern? Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK), "the longest-serving Republican senator and once the chief power broker for dispensing federal dollars, says he's worried that a corruption investigation 'could cause me some trouble' in running for re-election next year," AP reports.

* Quotable: "In Washington today, to call something a 'reasonable compromise' may be the kiss of death" -- Washington Post columnist Michael Gerson.

1. Nominate (or even draft) your ideal ticket for President & Vice-President.
2. Vote in the first-ever online primary to pick a bipartisan Unity Ticket.
3. Help shape the Unity08 national presidential primary rules.
4. Select the questions on crucial issues candidates must answer.

More delegate benefits »

SeanEdwards
07-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes I think this is interesting. I also think a democrat VP pick for Paul is very feasible. I'm not sure if a democrat VP is even possible on a Republican ticket.

I don't think disgust with the two party duopoly has never been higher in this country. A bipartisan play like this could be a big win.

angelatc
07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't want a unity ticket. I want another Constitutional conservative as VP. If you want compromise, vote McCain.

I saw Waterston once on Celebrity Jeopardy, and was impressed with how unsmart he is.

Duckman
07-11-2007, 03:53 PM
How does Unity08 expect to get on the ballot? Getting on ballots is difficult, expensive, and full of gotchas.

shrugged0106
07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
It will be impossible because Dr. Paul will have that whole GOP nomination thing to deal with.

jorlowitz
07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I know the idea of a bi-partisan ticket hasn't gotten hold (the idea probably being: if one party can't do it, why would two parties be able to). But a lot of people looking for change in the political system are considering this idea of a Unity ticket. Even if RP is not ideally suited for political cooperation and compromise with his ardent libertarianism, A LOT of people are really interested in ending the partisanship of D.C. Moreover, many articles have hearteningly reported RP engaging in debate with Kucinich and Nader and some very liberal figures with remarkable candor and dialogue. I think people should seriously consider whether this movement wouldn't explode if it was foremost about reclaiming our democracy and secondarily about hardcore libertarian issues. As a frequent left-leaner, myself, I know it would make supporting Paul that much easier, and I think it would attract thousands more dems and progressive independents. Do you think it would necessarily erode his message or his classical conservative support??