PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Commandant Smedley R. Butler

Lucid American
12-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Stopped off at the grocery store this afternoon with my kids, and we weren't in there but 20 minutes, and when I got back to my car there was a paper under my wiper. I reached for it thinking how cool it would be if it was a Ron Paul flier but fully expecting some kind of sale promotion or something.

Ended up an interesting twist on a subject I've read a decent bit about but I bet 99% of people have no knowledge of. The typed / xeroxed flier simply read:

"I spent 33 years . . . being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. . . .

"I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1916. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Haiti and Cubaa a decent place for the National City [Bank] boys to collect revenue in. I helped in the rape of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. . . .

"In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested. . . . I had . . . a swell racket. I was rewarded with honors, medals, promotions. . . . I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate a racket in three cities. The Marines operated on three continents. . . .

"In the Spanish-American War we didn't have any bullets to shoot, and if we had not had a war with a nation that was already licked and looking for an excuse to quit, we would have had hell licked out of us. . . . "

MARINE CORPS COMMANDANT
SMEDLEY R. BUTLER
SPEECH BEFORE AMERICAN LEGION
31 AUGUST, 1931

So, needless to say, I thought it kind of a tangent. What exactly was the objective of the person leaving this on my windshield? The rear windshield of my car is decorated in Ron Paul stuff, so there might be a connection there. But if I was just an everyday joe, what would I make of this? There's not even any mention of the fact that Butler was the most highly decorated Marine in history at the time of his death, nor of the fact that he was approached to lead a military coup to overthrow FDR and establish fascism in the US -- so, the average guy finding this on his windshield would have to take the initiative to research a little or he would be left just as puzzled as I am. Perhaps it was just a random flier drop hoping to resonate somewhere . . . maybe someone put it on my windshield because of my Paul signs? Anyway, I just thought it was interesting.

RSLudlum
12-28-2007, 08:34 PM
quite interesting...

bump!!

sparebulb
12-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Interesting indeed.

Nyte
12-28-2007, 08:39 PM
:confused:

Time to start reading...

cheapbastud
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I thought FDR is the one who established fascism in the US:

Internal Revenue Code of 1939

Automatic Federal withholding

National Recovery Act

Seizing the peoples' gold

I could go on........

BTW Smedley Butler is a Ron Paul kind of guy... He was the first person to rail against the military-industrial complex long before Eisenhower coined the term.

search "War is a Racket"

Lucid American
12-28-2007, 09:10 PM
I thought FDR is the one who established fascism in the US:

That could certainly be argued, I suppose, but do a search on "the Business Plot" to see what I was refering to.

As to your point, here is an interesting read from one of FDR's VP's, who did an article in 1944 for the NYT evaluating the fascist threat in America.
http://newdeal.feri.org/wallace/haw23.htm

lucius
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Not too expensive off amazon, read about shrub's grandfather in the second one:

War Is a Racket: The Anti-War Classic by America's Most Decorated General, Two Other Anti=Interventionist Tracts, and Photographs from the Horror of It (Paperback)
by Smedley D. Butler (Author), Adam Parfrey (Introduction): http://www.amazon.com/War-Racket-Decorated-Interventionist-Photographs/dp/0922915865/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198897958&sr=8-1

The Plot to Seize the White House: The Shocking True Story of the Conspiracy to Overthrow FDR (Paperback) by Jules Archer (Author): http://www.amazon.com/Plot-Seize-White-House-Conspiracy/dp/1602390363/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198897958&sr=8-2

SWATH
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
You forgot the National Firearms Act of 1934

Jojo
12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
"I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912.
[/I]

This is interesting Lucid, because it might be the same Brown Brothers as in Brown Brothers Harriman, who funded the Nazis. The founding partners of Brown Brothers Harriman include this guy:

Prescott Sheldon Bush (May 15, 1895 – October 8, 1972) was a United States Senator from Connecticut and a Wall Street executive banker with Brown Brothers Harriman. He was the father of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush and the grandfather of current President George W. Bush.

In 1931, Bush became a founding partner of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. that was created through the 1931 merger of Brown Brothers & Co., a merchant bank founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1818 with Harriman Brothers & Co., established in New York City in 1927, and A. Harriman & Co.

the rest including the Nazi connection is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott_Bush

This family has been involved in this kinda stuff for a looong time.

Brad Zink
12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
This family has been involved in this kinda stuff for a looong time.

In this short video clip, journalist John Buchanan discusses his research into the Bush-Nazi connection:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8795795223394289910