PDA

View Full Version : Unconstitutional "Blue Laws"?

Chao
12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Here in the deep south, Georgia, which I believe is one of only three states with this type of law still on the books, bans sales of alcohol from most stores on Sunday and most openly admit that it is because churchgoers don't want it being sold.

I'm torn, I think states should be able to decide most things for themselves, as no Federal government has the knowledge to make the right decisions for every part of their nation, but...this seems to violate the church and state clause. Who is it hurting when alcohol is allowed to be sold? People who don't want to buy it can simply choose not to buy it, or ask the stores themselves to refrain from selling it, right?

mwkaufman
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Here in the deep south, Georgia, which I believe is one of only three states with this type of law still on the books, bans sales of alcohol from most stores on Sunday and most openly admit that it is because churchgoers don't want it being sold.

I'm torn, I think states should be able to decide most things for themselves, as no Federal government has the knowledge to make the right decisions for every part of their nation, but...this seems to violate the church and state clause. Who is it hurting when alcohol is allowed to be sold? People who don't want to buy it can simply choose not to buy it, or ask the stores themselves to refrain from selling it, right?

They certainly are not unconstitutional, if you're in Georgia than you can contact your representative and let your opinions be heard. The jurisdiction that allows them to prohibit alcohol sales on Sunday is the same as the jurisdiction that allows them to prohibit marijuana or cocaine all the time.

That said, I mean, wtf dude, plan ahead, buy on Saturday! :p

Chao
12-28-2007, 05:53 PM
They certainly are not unconstitutional, if you're in Georgia than you can contact your representative and let your opinions be heard. The jurisdiction that allows them to prohibit alcohol sales on Sunday is the same as the jurisdiction that allows them to prohibit marijuana or cocaine all the time.

That said, I mean, wtf dude, plan ahead, buy on Saturday! :p

Oh, I don't even drink, stuff tastes awful to me, it just sort of concerned me that when I ask the people around here why it's like that I get: "We're a christian nation and we don't condone that sort of thing". I just laugh at them because they think getting trashed saturday night and going to church with a hangover is fine, but will ban alcohol on sunday like it's going to change how people behave. Anyways, thanks for the clarification, was just curious.