PDA

View Full Version : We're soooo close to converting people and breaking out in the polls ...

ashlux
12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I have one friend who is definitely a typical Republican. He's not crazy about Bush's big government populism. It'd be a near-cold day in hell before he'd vote Democrat (he has only done so twice because he thought they were more conservative than the Republican counterpart).

At first, very shortly after the Giuliani/Paul stuff, he thought Ron Paul was outright crazy, a definite loon. He was excited about Fred Thompson to getting into the race. Ron Paul would have been his last GOP choice, besides Giuliani and Romney. Thompson was definitely his #1 choice.

Like many early Thompson supporters, his support for Thompson dwindled once Thompson actually joined the race. Paul was still back of his favorites list, but rose slightly. My friend doesn't think of Paul as a loon much now.

About three weeks ago, he was all about Huckabee. Since my friend is a supporter of FairTax, that threw Huckabee close to the front. I'm not sure my friend really recognized Huckabee to be a big government populist yet. Paul is no longer crazy or loony.

Now, he's still supporting Huckabee primarily because of FairTax and little else. He (rightfully) believes all the other candidates aren't taking chances and trying to maintain the status quo. I agreed Huckabee would make a good spokesman for FairTax, I told him I certainly do not want another big government populist President.

Here's his current list for President now: "1. Cox/Keyes/Hunter/Huck/Paul - whoever I think has the best shot. 6. Thompson, 7. McCain, 8. Constitution or Libertarian Party Candidate. After that it doesn't really matter."

It's been a long road from being a crazy loon to tied for first. I suspect he's not the only Republican who has had a similar journey.

My point is, I think we are so close to breaking out. Have some faith and be optimistic.

I think if Iowa turns out to be 1. Romney, 2. Huckabee, 3. Paul, we'd be set for Super Tuesday. Huckabee not winning Iowa will be a sign of weakness and Paul finishing third would be a sign of strength. Normally Huckabee at second would be a sign of strength, but he has peaked too early. All the dirt is starting to weigh him down.

That's my two cents anyhow.

Micahyah
12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah I think Iowa is really key for us, I think there are a lot of people now on the edge because all the other candidates are big government types, and if Paul is 3rd in Iowa (or higher) they will realize he has a real shot of winning and will move their support to him.

Dieseler
12-28-2007, 04:37 PM
I saw Fred Thompson yesterday on one of the news channels.
He looked like he just experienced a bit to much time in the tanning booth said uh, uh, uh, about 300 times and couldn't remember if he went to Pakistan and Afghanistan on the same trip. He was sure that he had indeed been to both places he thinks.
He did mention for a fact that he was on a lot of commitees though he wasn't sure exactly what they were.

angrydragon
12-28-2007, 04:40 PM
So he think Dr. Paul is maintaining the status quo? Or did he include Dr. Paul with Huckabee for the fairtax?

Adamsa
12-28-2007, 04:41 PM
It's imortant the people that had the first reaction of "he's nuts!" get interested and take a second look, they might like what they see.

Akus
12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
John Cox is still running?

Ron Paul in 2008
12-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I agreed Huckabee would make a good spokesman for FairTax, I told him I certainly do not want another big government populist President.

Huckabee raised taxes in Arkansas and governed as a liberal. He will not institute the fairtax.

Here's his current list for President now: "1. Cox/Keyes/Hunter/Huck/Paul -

Cox dropped out. Keyes already ran for president and is just a wasted symbolic vote. Hunter is A LOT better than Huckabee. If you can't convince him to go to Paul tell him to vote for Hunter. Huckabee is terrible on immigration. He supports amnesty and is an unapologetic supporter of illegal immigration. His immigration stance is no different than Hillarys. He is changing his tune before the elections but he is an obvious fraud. I will never vote for Huckabee, even if he wins the nomination and goes against Hillary.

Joe3113
12-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Tell your conservative friend that Ron wants to get rid of the IRS and replace it with NOTHING.....NO FAIR TAX....NO NOTHING

and tell your friend about the criminal federal reserve. get him to watch money masters.

Bradley in DC
12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
get him to watch money masters.

please don't promote TMM, at least not in connection with Dr. Paul. The agendas are NOT compatible.

shasshas
12-28-2007, 05:12 PM
regrettably even if Dr Paul does do well in Iowa and NH, I can't see him getting more than a further 5% of the votes in the primaries. This still puts him behind the number 1s and 2s. His views are just a bit tooo radical for the population at large.

familydog
12-28-2007, 05:25 PM
regrettably even if Dr Paul does do well in Iowa and NH, I can't see him getting more than a further 5% of the votes in the primaries. This still puts him behind the number 1s and 2s. His views are just a bit tooo radical for the population at large.

You're right.

We should all just give it up now and stop wasting our time.

:rolleyes:

ashlux
12-28-2007, 05:42 PM
So he think Dr. Paul is maintaining the status quo? Or did he include Dr. Paul with Huckabee for the fairtax?

He does not think Paul would maintain the status quo. Paul does not actively support the FairTax, but we both agreed he'd likely vote for/sign it assuming no 16th amendment (there is a video of him saying as much). We all know that Paul sees getting rid of the income tax and replacing it with nothing is what he'd want.

ashlux
12-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Polls are all over the place. Take the "F You, Frank" approach regardless how positive or negative they are for us. Ron Paul takes that approach in the House when he is heavily outnumbered in votes 400-1.

shane2
12-28-2007, 06:09 PM
We all know most voters won't seriously consider any candidate that the polls and media have ranked so lowly as to supposedly be a poor contender and likely waste of their vote. That is the single most formidable logjam restraining voters from more seriously considering Ron Paul. While that won't be an issue after IA & NH primaries, until then it is our greatest restraint on growth, but it's also our greatest opportunity for additional new IA & NH primary voters, too, if it's busted through right now.

This ad should help, it'll be running in the top 37 daily newspapers in Iowa, mostly on Sunday or Monday, though a couple will run it on Tuesday. (Running in top 7 papers in NH on Jan 3rd & 4th, too.)

http://www.ki4u.com/pollsad.jpg

If you are working on the ground in Iowa or New Hampshire and share our enthusiasm for the potential of this strategy we invite you to consider running it yourself in smaller or community or shopper papers there, too. Or, again, in any of the newspapers we already are, though on another day. (Or, printed up as a handout to give out, with time running out for most paper insertions.) Just change up the bottom attribution line.

Here's a pdf of it here, for newspapers or to print up handouts, shown in actual 5.75" x 6" size, which can be enlarged, too.
http://www.ki4u.com/pollsad.pdf

Enjoy!

- Shane