PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Statistic

hellah10
12-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Since nobody is here at work, I decided to take an extended lunch break and drive around my old neighborhood in suburbia Toledo... Oregon, Ohio

Population: 19,000
Avg. Household Income: $50,000

I decided to go down each and every single street in that city to see what we have as political signs are concerned.... and just for the hell of it, I'll jot down how many houses are for sale

Now mind you, this city is known for low property taxes. There are 3 huge refineries here - BP, Sunoco, and Marathon. There is a railyard - CSX. There is a state park - Maumee Bay State Park which is on the banks of Lake Erie. And a variety of other businesses there.

Its a good place to raise your children, good schools, nice clean community, so on and so forth

Here are the numbers

Political Signs: only 1 (Ron Paul)
House for Sale Signs: 1,361 (that includes For Rent..not many of those though)

thats... ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED SIXTY ONE HOUSES FOR SALE!

Folks, when my family moved there in 1995... we had a hard time finding a house. You were lucky to see 50 houses for sale. Even my best friends' parents house is for sale - and they make decent money. Not also are these houses for sale, but there are many who have "For Sale By Owner" signs, which is usually a sign of giving up on your realtor.

Thats an amazing number - seriously

Dave Wood
12-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Now that is just plain frightening.

KMA-NWO
12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Since nobody is here at work, I decided to take an extended lunch break and drive around my old neighborhood in suburbia Toledo... Oregon, Ohio

Population: 19,000
Avg. Household Income: $50,000

I decided to go down each and every single street in that city to see what we have as political signs are concerned.... and just for the hell of it, I'll jot down how many houses are for sale

Now mind you, this city is known for low property taxes. There are 3 huge refineries here - BP, Sunoco, and Marathon. There is a railyard - CSX. There is a state park - Maumee Bay State Park which is on the banks of Lake Erie. And a variety of other businesses there.

Its a good place to raise your children, good schools, nice clean community, so on and so forth

Here are the numbers

Political Signs: only 1 (Ron Paul)
House for Sale Signs: 1,361 (that includes For Rent..not many of those though)

thats... ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED SIXTY ONE HOUSES FOR SALE!

Folks, when my family moved there in 1995... we had a hard time finding a house. You were lucky to see 50 houses for sale. Even my best friends' parents house is for sale - and they make decent money. Not also are these houses for sale, but there are many who have "For Sale By Owner" signs, which is usually a sign of giving up on your realtor.

Thats an amazing number - seriously

The crash is coming, and I think it's a real possibility that by Nov elections a good chunk of you will be waiting in lines to get soup instead of lines to vote (oh and i'll bet the elections are canceled).

mconder
12-28-2007, 02:04 PM
It's the same here in Southern Utah. This place has a housing boom a few years ago, and now there are houses for sale everywhere. Most people just trying to get out of the bank note.

rollingpig
12-28-2007, 02:06 PM
GOD save us!

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I hope that one lone sign was yours...

hellah10
12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I hope that one lone sign was yours...

i live on the other side of town

i just cant believe how many houses are for sale there...amazing...its sad really :(

ShowMeLiberty
12-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't have an actual count, but on a recent drive through my suburban neighborhood I saw at least a dozen "House For Sale" signs before I'd gone 2 miles. Normally, there wouldn't be more than 3 or 4 signs in that same distance on the same roads.

The economy is worse than the government wants us to realize. And I also think harder times are coming.

JohnnyWrath
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
My mom and stepdad lost their house last year here in Ohio. She is in her 50s, and is renting for the first time in her life after owning 4 houses here in Ohio. Her and my dad bought their first house when she was 18, and until now, she has never had to rent in her life....pretty bad around here lately.

akforme
12-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm selling my house next week, not because I can't afford it but because I see the writing on the wall.

davver
12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I would never buy a house. Quite frankly, I think the only reason anyone does is because of the tax deduction. Owning a house is no different from taking out a huge leveraged bet on real estate values. It's not different from gambling. As a renter, you can always get out. If the US enters a new great depression you can always leave the country.

"Homeowners" don't exist. At any point the govs can ramp up property taxes 500%. You gonna be a "homeowner" then? They own your home and they own you.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
For those that don't own a house, they may be very affordable in a year.

fortilite
12-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, good news for me. Unfortunately here in Austin we aren't experiencing and downturn. I really want to buy, just can't afford it quite yet. Also I have other aspirations for my money.

Mark
12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah - if newscasters would talk about these things instead of Paris Hilton people would be scared breathless.

If interviewers would cover this instead of harping on a random comment forever Ron Paul could wake people up.

A house of cards won't stand forever - there will be a sudden crash - be ready