PDA

View Full Version : ***2pm EST live Feed from the Blimp along the Coast**

Mckarnin
12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Right now Elijah is broadcasting live feed from the blimp and we expect to be in Jacksonville in under an hour. He will also be broadcasting live from over the rally at Jacksonville Landing in Downtown Jacksonville, FL at 4pm.

Please go to our website: www.ronpaulblimp.com to use the blimp tracker to watch GPS or check out updates on the blog.

Katharine

wxflyguy
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Excellent!

texasliberty
12-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Woohoo! Jacksonville, prepare for impending Blimp attack! :)

shadow26
12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Woohoo! Jacksonville, prepare for impending Blimp attack! :)

The blimp is over Jacksonville right now, BUT the feed is down. :(

texasliberty
12-28-2007, 01:50 PM
It'll be back. It drops up and down as they get better or worse signal. They'll find a spot w/ good signal.

Mckarnin
12-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Elijah is working hard to find a good signal to get the live feed back up. Daniel and Trevor will be on the ground in 45 minutes and they'll be able to film the blimp and the crowds from below.

Brian
12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Im not trying to beat anyone up, but I have literally checked the feed dozens of times over the last few weeks when the Blimp was supposed to be in the air, without ever seeing a live feed.

LSUiLike
12-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Blimp sighting in Jacksonville. It is great to see the blimp. :) I'll be at the landing soon.

Tarzan
12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Im not trying to beat anyone up, but I have literally checked the feed dozens of times over the last few weeks when the Blimp was supposed to be in the air, without ever seeing a live feed.

Are there any "wireless geniuses" who can make some recommendations for getting the live feed to be more stable?
Equipment recommendations, etc.

t3rmin
12-28-2007, 02:48 PM
What are you using? Cellular network internet or trying to pick up WiFi on the ground?

Tarzan
12-28-2007, 03:20 PM
What are you using? Cellular network internet or trying to pick up WiFi on the ground?

Here is what I know... they are using a device called a "reactor" from a company called O2. They are using a "regular camera" that is plugged into a laptop. I do not know what type of connection they are using. I hope the "reactor" device gives you some indication.

thanks

torchbearer
12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Here is what I know... they are using a device called a "reactor" from a company called O2. They are using a "regular camera" that is plugged into a laptop. I do not know what type of connection they are using. I hope the "reactor" device gives you some indication.

thanks

Looks like wifi: http://www.ip97.com/o2_secure_wireless_inc_launches_mobile_wi_fi_inter net_fcif.aspx

A cell connection like justin.tv/ronpaul uses would work better.

Airborn
12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
You can see the blimp on the Jacksonville weather cam here: http://www.news4jax.com/wxcam/1807683/detail.html

torchbearer
12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
You can see the blimp on the Jacksonville weather cam here: http://www.news4jax.com/wxcam/1807683/detail.html

Sweet!!!!!
Hey- are you signed up to be a delegate?
We have all our slots filled in the district 5 area. 15 delegates, 15 alternates.

t3rmin
12-28-2007, 03:50 PM

thanks

From the O2 Website:

O2 Secure Wireless is proud to announce the REACTOR. A self contained Wi-Fi access point which requires only power. It utilizes the 3G cellular network to provide internet connectivity. This box is perfect for limousine companies, taxi companies and even special event venues which may require Internet access when delivering hard-line circuits is not cost effective.

So it's a WiFi repeater that gets internet access from the cellular network. Unfortunately 3G cellular coverage isn't universal everywhere. I'm not sure how far up in the air the blimp usually is, but that could be either good or bad: less interference from trees and buildings and topography, but if you're really high it might be pushing the envelope of range. And since you're going "as the crow flies", rather than restricted to certain routes like a car, you're probably hitting lots of places with poor or primitive cell coverage. Cell towers, and especially 3G support is prone to be in metropolitan areas and along arterials.

The other thing is the blimp cabin is probably a big metal box. Being inside a virtual Faraday cage is always bad for reception. ;-)

Two suggestions:
1) Get an external antenna mounted OUTSIDE the metal cabin. Since you're up high, maybe something directional pointing down to concentrate receiving power?
2) The O2 site said something about satellite backup. Dunno what the cost/benefit ratio is here, but a sattelite connection would remove dependency on the spotty cell network.

Tarzan
12-28-2007, 04:09 PM
thanks t3rmin... I will pass this along to see if we can get this working better.

:)

walt
12-28-2007, 08:34 PM
deleting posts is not cool