PDA

View Full Version : Fellow member needs our help!!!

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 01:22 PM
One of our own is being fined for exercising his constiutional rights of having Ron Paul signs on his own private property. He currently has the ACLU sticking up for him and is not backing down from a fight (the Ron Paul supporter way), but I thought we could bring him some support. Below is the article about the situation and under that is the form to send the village of Wheeling, IL your thoughts on the matter. Please only send well thought out emails. No need to create a bad name for ourselves. So, let our voice be heard!

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=97060

http://www.vi.wheeling.il.us/ReferenceDesk/FeedbackForm.htm

Quick
12-28-2007, 01:25 PM
They will never win.

It was upheld in a case in Minnesota that it is against the first amendment to fine people for political signs.

Obviously commercial signs are a different story. I've had Ron Paul signs up in my window for months now (I'm in an apartment). They told me to take it down. I said that they will have to take me to court and convince a judge to overturn the court case in Minnesota.

I never heard from them again.

Santana28
12-28-2007, 01:26 PM
ugh... wheeling. what a lousy little excuse for a town.

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 01:28 PM
They will never win.

It was upheld in a case in Minnesota that it is against the first amendment to fine people for political signs.

Obviously commercial signs are a different story. I've had Ron Paul signs up in my window for months now (I'm in an apartment). They told me to take it down. I said that they will have to take me to court and convince a judge to overturn the court case in Minnesota.

I never heard from them again.

That is good to hear, but it can't hurt to send a mail to the village. That may speed up their decision making and lessing the headache for our fellow member.

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I just sent a nice note to the village requesting a response.

RPinSEAZ
12-28-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd like confirmation from the man himself, he posted here before about this, that he is indeed still being fined before I go off on "The Man".

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
I'd like confirmation from the man himself, he posted here before about this, that he is indeed still being fined before I go off on "The Man".

I found out about this in the chat room last night. There was a member their who claimed he was the one in the article and was posting the link. That is all the confirmation I can give you.

beobeli
12-28-2007, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine went to court over this and nothing happened. Judge just said that his case is "in limbo". He has not heard from them since.

The whole story here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=43871

JohnnyWrath
12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
He said the protocol is to send several warnings to residents who violate the village ordinance and then hand out a citation.

Before this case came up, "we've never had anyone not comply," he said

I LOVE Ron Paul supporters....seriously, our freedoms have been attacked by every level of government lately, and we should stand up for our constitutional rights.

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I LOVE Ron Paul supporters....seriously, our freedoms have been attacked by every level of government lately, and we should stand up for our constitutional rights.

Taking care of each other will get us to where we need to be. FREEEEEEE!!!

akforme
12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I just asked to be fair. Do the same to all canidates.

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I just asked to be fair. Do the same to all canidates.

Unfortunetly, not allowing any political signs puts the hurt on those candidates not supported by msm. That would be Dr. Paul.

Time for Change
12-28-2007, 02:28 PM
I see it this way...
30 day limit before election eliminates the chance of a voter changing registration in time to support the candidate.
The deadline is typically change 29 or 30 days prior, right?

BLS
12-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Stop....Stop.....Stop....

You guys are missing the point completely.

The LAW is unconstitutional...flat out.

It's a form of censorship.
They say you can't have a political sign within 30 days of an election, right?
Then why is it ok to have Real Estate signs up whenever they want?

It's called 'content-neutrality' and it cannot be violated. ALL signs must be treated the same way, otherwise you are censoring free speech, and that's a violation of the 1st amendment.

I'll find you an article about my fight with my city of the same exact issue.
They are right now in the process of changing the law.

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Stop....Stop.....Stop....

You guys are missing the point completely.

The LAW is unconstitutional...flat out.

It's a form of censorship.
They say you can't have a political sign within 30 days of an election, right?
Then why is it ok to have Real Estate signs up whenever they want?

It's called 'content-neutrality' and it cannot be violated. ALL signs must be treated the same way, otherwise you are censoring free speech, and that's a violation of the 1st amendment.

I'll find you an article about my fight with my city of the same exact issue.
They are right now in the process of changing the law.

Way to stand up and fight for your rights. You and Chris (our fellow member in the article) are true patriots. Let's support them and anyone else who has the courage to stand tall for their (and our) rights.

BLS
12-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Here's the thread from October with the Article written in my local paper that discusses my victory with the city over my sign.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=28683

ExpatinArgentina
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Nice win

BLS
12-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Nice win

thank you!