PDA

View Full Version : Why the AOL Straw Poll Results Make Sense

JPFromTally
12-28-2007, 12:29 PM
In this 12/9 poll (http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm) Republicans are asked:

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation with Iraq?"

Approve: 58%
Disapprove: 34%
Undecided: 8 %

Obviously, the numbers for Dems are a lot lower (7% approve).

Taking a page from Don Rumsfeld, the 58% is what I call Bush "dead-enders." Meaning they fall for the lines about "fighting them over there so they don't fight us over here."

However, the 34% is they key number... These are people who, like me, are Republicans who don't like the war, see GWB as not being all that conservative and DO NOT want to vote Democrat.

Imagine if AOL had done the poll this way:

"Are you going to vote for a PRO-WAR status quo candidate who wants to continue the Bush policies or Ron Paul?

Ron Paul would lose 69% to 31%.

Now in 2004 I did not vote in the primaries (I knew GWB was winning so what was the point?) and I did not vote for GWB against Kerry (though I was sure tempted). However, I do know a lot of anti-war Repubs who did vote for GWB because he was the lesser of two evils.

I've always said since day one that RP has 30% of the Repub/Conservative Independent who are anti-war and the rest of the field can divy up the other 70% amongst themselves.

However, what has surprised me is that I was wrong in thinking Rudy and Mitt would divide the 70% almost equally. I did not think the race would be as fractured amongst the pro-war conservatives.

A lot of people around here ask who our second choice would be. Unlike most, I have tried really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt but there are way too many deal breakers:

Mitt: Wants to expand executive authority. Lies constantly.
Huck: Another folksy-southern governor with no foreign policy experience. Also lies a lot.
McCain: Bomb, bomb Iran? 'nuff said.
Giuliani: I lived in NYC during his tenure and nobody liked him including me.
Fred: Did you see the things he was saying on Hannity last night?

So essentially, there is 1/3 of anti-war Republicans/Conservative Independents who have NO SECOND CHOICE. Thus the AOL poll is DEAD ON!

Highstreet
12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
So essentially, there is 1/3 of anti-war Republicans/Conservative Independents who have NO SECOND CHOICE. Thus the AOL poll is DEAD ON!

I agree.

Not to mention he seems to be getting anywhere from 25 to 50% of the Independent vote in most states, and probably a smaller fraction of the Dem vote crossovers.

JPFromTally
12-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree.

Not to mention he seems to be getting anywhere from 25 to 50% of the Independent vote in most states, and probably a smaller fraction of the Dem vote crossovers.

Very true.. after all these numbers are not easily measured.

JPFromTally
12-28-2007, 01:41 PM
any more thoughts? anybody?

Micahyah
12-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree with most of what you said. I'm a crossover Dem. I've been very pleased at how fractured the pro-Bush vote has been on the right in the primaries.

The 30% of Republicans/conservatives who reject Bush have no where else to go.

The 15-25% of democrats who reject the status quo candidates (Clinton, Obama, Edwards) don't have much options either because Kucinich or Gravel have no chance of getting the nomination over the democratic big 3, so that adds to Paul's support (and is completely missed in polls).