PDA

View Full Version : What is HQ doing in Michigan?

tsetsefly
12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
With the democrats taking away all the delegates from democrats this is a great opportunity to get voters.

WHat is HQ doing?

and grassroots how is it going in Michigan?

rational thinker
12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I live here and I can say that the HQ haven't really done anything here as far as television commercials go. I don't know how well Michigan's grassroots is doing, but my guess is not so well. Oh well, I guess we are really riding on Ron doing well in Iowa and New Hampshire so that the domino effect proceeds to Michigan.

RPinSEAZ
12-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Those Democrats have to vote for somebody and a Ron Paul protest vote against the Democratic Party is not out of the question.

tsetsefly
12-28-2007, 11:17 AM
bumps, anyone with solid info?

all J's in IL for RP
12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I live here and I can say that the HQ haven't really done anything here as far as television commercials go. I don't know how well Michigan's grassroots is doing, but my guess is not so well. Oh well, I guess we are really riding on Ron doing well in Iowa and New Hampshire so that the domino effect proceeds to Michigan.

It would seem as if you live in Michigan. You ARE the grassroots.

RobS
12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
We don't have as many people as Iowa or New Hampshire, but we aren't bad either.

I am Asst. Organizer on the Grand Rapids/Kent county group. We have been doing door to door, lit handouts at big events, sign waving... everything you would expect. I know the Lakeshore group is doing a good job as well, although a bit more decentralized then we are.. I went to Muskegon to meet with one guy to pickup some Ron gear and he had just canvassed over 300 houses that night!

We have conference calls with HQ once every 1-2 weeks, getting more frequent now. There is a HQ in Flint, and there should be one in Grand Rapids soon.

I have not seen a TV ad yet, but have heard numerous ads on the radio, mostly about NAFTA (SMART MOVE HQ!). I know over on the East side of the state grassrooters have been working on handing things out about NAFTA to the union folks, we really should do the same over here yesterday : ).

I don't know... Michigan is winnable, but so much hinges on NH and IA to get a ton of free press and get rid of the "he can't win" stigma.

The number one thing we have going for us is an open primary, Democrats can vote in the Republican primary... that could be HUGE.

I would give the Grassroots in my area a 7/10 (some of us are 10/10, but you know how hard it is to motivate some people...) HQ gets a 6/10 so far, we need more ads, especially TV, before every other campaign starts doing the same after NH and IA.

RobS
12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh, and it goes without saying Paul signs are all over the place : )

tsetsefly
12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
thanks for the update...

me3
12-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I think HQ just opened an office in Flint, MI.

anewvoice
12-28-2007, 11:48 AM
And in "Detroit" (7 mile and telegraph I think is Detroit proper, it gets confusing down there) and there is one in Ann Arbor as well.

Badger Paul
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
All you have to do is check the Michigan thread. I've posted stories about they've opened two new campaign offices int he stats and have hired coordiators for the various regions.

Michigan11
12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
With the democrats taking away all the delegates from democrats this is a great opportunity to get voters.

WHat is HQ doing?

I live in metro detroit, Michigan. I'm in a meetup, and we are doing lit drops at least twice a week in my group(most are still doing sign waving...believe it or not). Anyways...

About two weeks ago, RP radio ads of anti-NAFTA and NAU, have been blitzing the radio stations here. Also the campaign just opened the Flint office, and another in Detroit this past week. I haven't seen any tv commercials yet.

Over Christmas, I have talked with many who have personally seen signs setup on overpasses on freeways, yard signs, bumper stickers, sign wavings in their cities...

One family member said if the election were to be held on who has the most bumper stickers, RP would win by a landslide....

In the metro Detroit area, the meetup groups were literally handing out all the lit, the campaign had at any given point. This Saturday, the Campaign reports they will finally have a large, new shipment of slimjims, and about 10,000 yard signs. Some of us around the area will be doing lit drops over this weekend, and up untill the Jan. 15th primary.

Overall, RP is gaining name recognition through out the state, from what I can tell from my contacts, and most people are very open to voting for him now. I have literally setup 20 people on my own who are contacting their friends and family to vote and support RP... So in my circle, which is all lifetime Republicans, we are all voting RP!

The volunteers in the meetups need to, in my opinion, step it up on the lit drops.

We can easily take Michigan, if those who live in Michigan that support RP would spread the word and pass out more lit.

Eponym_mi
12-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Just my opinions and observations. I live in West Michigan.

IA and NH are getting a lot more attention, but MI could really be make or break for RP nationally. Our open primary is a good thing....PLUS Obama and Edwards are boycotting the MI primary for defying the DNC, which only gives MI Democrats a choice of Hillary and a few others.

Grassroots seems strong, and appears fairly organized on the east side. They're hitting the auto plants with lit about NAFTA pretty hard. West MI is a Republican stronghold, but no office, which blows my mind. Its probably too late to bother opening one now. Romney has been advertising on TV....haven't seen anything for RP yet. I haven't seen ANY yard signs for other candidates, Republican or Democrat, but have seen RP signs.

Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned by the lack of attention Michigan is getting from national....almost like MI is an afterthought.

Badger Paul
12-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Also remember Michigan has the largest Arab population in the U.S. and thanks to our good friend Hamadeh, we've been able to publish ads in the Arab-American News which services that community. In an open primary, that will pay off nicely.

Ozwest
12-28-2007, 12:32 PM
It is encouraging to me, that Ron Paul is currently setting up infrastructure nation-wide. The phenomenal support of the grassroots and the record breaking donations of this quarter are directly responsible for this.

Instead of spending all his capital in the early primary states, Dr. Paul has made preperations for the long-haul.

I suspect that the campaign has done some secretive internal polling, and Ron is confident of positive early outcomes. He's a step ahead of everyone.

Crazy like a fox, I'm tell'in ya.

SteveMartin
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Is it true a former campaign worker for George W. Bush is now running Michigan? Have you found her to be capable and dedicated to the RP cause, or is she more cause for concern?

Eponym_mi
12-28-2007, 12:56 PM
she more cause for concern?

Yeah...she isn't running Michigan though. Just very involved.

RobS
12-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah... only thing I'm pissed at campaign about is lack of signs... we are friggen dying over here. We could have 2-3x the amount of signs out if we were actually getting supplied.

rational thinker
12-28-2007, 08:15 PM
www.michigan4ronpaul.com

Cyclone
12-28-2007, 08:47 PM
bump

Constitutionally Speaking
12-28-2007, 08:52 PM

WHat is HQ doing?

I live in Michigan, and Ron Paul's signage is the best of any candidate - from either party.

walt
12-28-2007, 08:53 PM
It is encouraging to me, that Ron Paul is currently setting up infrastructure nation-wide. The phenomenal support of the grassroots and the record breaking donations of this quarter are directly responsible for this.

Instead of spending all his capital in the early primary states, Dr. Paul has made preperations for the long-haul.

I suspect that the campaign has done some secretive internal polling, and Ron is confident of positive early outcomes. He's a step ahead of everyone.

Crazy like a fox, I'm tell'in ya.

If you've seen what is being done in some of these offices - you'd think differently.

rational thinker
12-28-2007, 09:08 PM
^What do you mean by that?

walt
12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
^What do you mean by that?

sent you a PM