PDA

View Full Version : Bus Advertisements

Jolls
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
This thread is for all items relating to Bus Advertisements. The email list was getting pretty long so I will start it here with copy/pasting a couple emails.

--------------------
Hey Gents/Gens,

I decided to do a little research into advertising on buses in Seattle and came up with the following:
http://transit.metrokc.gov/am/advertising.html

Titan Outdoor does the Ads and I talked to Bruce Krivosha (National Account Manager) and he gave me these rough numbers on various advertising opportunities.

Types of Ads:
Interiors (Ads you see up along the upper walls)
King (Side of the Bus, runs about half the size of the bus)
Queen (Curb Side of the bus, half the size of the King)
Tales (On the back end of the bus)

Space Costs
Interiors:
11"x17" is $13 per bus, per 4 week period
11"x34" is $25 per bus, per 4 week period
King: $425-$465 each, per 4 week period
Queen: Looks like I forgot to write this price down.
Tales: $320-$365 each, per 4 week period

Production Costs
Interiors: $6-$12 each
Kings: $50 each
Queens: $25-$30
Tales: $25-30

Space Cost is how much it is to rent a specific space on the bus for 4 weeks
Production Cost is how much it costs to make the ad (we send them a pdf or high-res printable document, and they make it).
They will also help with the design work for free, as in if we generally know what we want to say, what images, they have a couple graphical designers who will help general look, placements, wording and what not.

Now, I was surprised by how cheap some of this costs, and think it is very do-able.
1st: So first things first, what do all of you think?
2nd: Does anyone know a graphical designer that wouldn't mind volunteering some time?
3rd: Suggested content? (Probably similar to slim jims, picture, Ron Paul 2008, couple bullet points?)

I'm leaning towards doing a couple interior ones and seeing how it all handles, and maybe go bigger? get the campaign involved?

Let me know

Jolls
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Taken by me from earlier Meetup emails:

My friend Sarah is all on board with Ron Paul and is a graphic designer, she is pretty busy at the moment, and wanted to know what kind of time line we were talking about. I also encouraged her to sign up on the list so she could reply directly.
-Charlie

-So my friend the graphics expert is up for the challenge and should be joining the group soon. Is he the only one to have through so far?
-Where are the specifics on the file format, size etc... should be?
-As for legal issues, can we use any graphics from the official campaign without being considered part of them?
-Any one have any slogan they would like to see? I think we want to keep it short and sweet, and make sure and include the words 'google Ron Paul'.
-Travis

Edit: Another guy Ryan has mentioned interest in getting involved. I've asked him to come up with some rough drafts of some ideas, maybe we can get the ball rolling on this.

Jolls
07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
On the Shrink Wrap Car idea, I love it, but think this should be done in addition to the bus advertisement. My reasoning for this is that even though shrink wrapping your own car would be cheaper and many people could do it to increase exposure, a good bus ad has a professional feel that shrinking wrapping a car doesn't. I'm not saying the car idea is bad, in fact it is a great and easy way to promote Ron Paul in a grass roots type of movement, and should be done. The Bus ad appears to be less of a grassroots type thing and will give a different feel then normal grassroots effort, which is worth the extra cost to me.

I'm not sure what the size is of the King, Queen, or Tales. Have we decided which one we want? Here is what I'll suggest and please give back input and criticism (no worries, I can take it! :) ).

Type of Bus Ad: Tale
It's generally wise to start of something new like this on the cheaper side, and the Tale is both cheaper and still gets seen a lot.

Type of Bus: Freeway Bus
If we do a Tale, it would get the best exposure on a bus that goes up and down I5 repeatedly. Like one of the buses that cruises down Olive Way and goes on I5 all the way up to Lynnwood or Everett. Buses that do that include but aren't limited to the 401, 402, 510, 511.

Ad Contents:
-Ron Paul Picture,
-"for President 2008" or "President 2008",
-www.ronpaul2008.com
-bullet points of his main campaign issues (never voted to increase taxes, one of x number of politicians to vote against the war), good seattle ones.
Basically i'm thinking of something like the liberty card http://www.libertytalk.com/images/general_front.jpg but instead of the sentences of his points, something akin to the slim jim's easily read bullet points.

Ad File Type: PDF
The ad should be in a PDF or high res jpeg. I would prefer a PDF where the only resolution we'd have to worry about is the Ron Paul picture.

Legal Issues: Unknown
We could contact the campaign to get permission to use some of their materials, and also maybe receive a high resolution picture of Ron Paul.

On the Other Hand:
Would people prefer a simple, white ad that says in big letters "Who Is Ron Paul?" then in small text at the bottom a little "paid for by Seattleites for Ron Paul" and " www.ronpaul2008.com". The 'Seattleites for Ron Paul' could obviously be anything (anything that doesn't like like an organization but rather a collection of local individuals who support Ron Paul), but we would have to somehow separate ourselves from the National Campaign.

John

Blowback
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I love the the bus idea and the shrink wrapped car idea. I already used a window marker to paint a huge Ron Paul 2008 on my back window.

Can someone please explain the shrink wrap idea to me and how that works real quick? I must have missed the email.

Jolls
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I love the the bus idea and the shrink wrapped car idea. I already used a window marker to paint a huge Ron Paul 2008 on my back window.

Can someone please explain the shrink wrap idea to me and how that works real quick? I must have missed the email.

check out http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/aos/368683157.html

It appears to be relatively permanent and difficult to remove so keep that in mind.

Blowback
07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
dI think the main thing here is that we want the advertisements to stan out from the usual blah I see every day while taking/driving behind busses. I can honestly say right now that I don't remember a single add that I have seen.

In that sense, I think that and huge WHO IS RON PAUL? woul really attract attention for its simplicity.

At the same time, I feel that a slick add with his picture would also be good. I think we should focus on issues that the Seattle demographic would love. (Is it a correct hypothesis to assume most people in Seattle are anti-war democrats?)

Ron Paul
President 2008
Against the Iraq war since 1998
Will aboloish the IRS and the Federal Reserve
Voted against the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act
For Free Markets

Get the government of YOUR back!

Vote for Ron Paul. Your children and your children's children will thank you.

I dunno, I can't pick one message.

nayjevin
07-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Who Is Ron Paul?
The Most Googled Human On Earth
www.ronpaul2008.com

jnpg
07-13-2007, 06:01 PM
On the shrink wrapped car...
I was thinking of putting this on our cargo trailer when we move- it is big 20' x 8' and they quoted me at $4400. It looks good- not cheapo- and the $4400 does include their graphic design work. Anyway- $4400 is not in my budget and we will probably come up with something else to just write on the trailer with...

the website to see the pics of it - www.pitchwraps.com