PDA

View Full Version : Will RP HQ file 4th quarter results before Jan 3rd?

Ninja Homer
12-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Will Ron Paul HQ file the 4th quarter donation results before the Iowa caucus on January 3rd?
If they do manage to file before the 3rd, will the FEC post them before the 3rd? There were reports that they were shutting down some of the FEC's functions on the 1st.

I don't know how much of an effect it would have on the Iowa caucus if they managed to get the final donation numbers out before then, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Looking back at how many times the MSM said, "we won't really know if he broke the 1 day record until we see the FEC filings", I think it's possible that some people are sitting on the fence, waiting to see if this fundraising is for real.

Getting it filed before the 3rd would also probably get some free media attention before the Iowa caucus.

rational thinker
12-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I think it would be a huge mistake for the campaign if they didn't file right after new year's eve. They need as much media attention as they can get and something like this will certainly get some heads rollin' from the opposing side.

Ethek
12-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Hopefully all of this information is in a format ready to go. keep in mind that the campaign has a lot of small donations from many different people. Hopefully they are set to go and can get the report out quickly.

Ninja Homer
12-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Hopefully all of this information is in a format ready to go. keep in mind that the campaign has a lot of small donations from many different people. Hopefully they are set to go and can get the report out quickly.

I hope so as well. I know they get in quite a few donations by mail. I'm not sure how those are handled; if they count donations received by Dec 31st, or postmarked by Dec 31st.

Bradley in DC
12-28-2007, 09:43 AM
While I understand where you're coming from and hope they will release a press statement indicating how much they've raised, the actual filing should not be rushed. A lot of work goes into preparing the legal document. It's not something one wants to make mistakes on just for a publicity stunt. Besides, this campaign has a history of procrastinating anyway. :(

winston_blade
12-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I think it would be best to maybe release them between Iowa and NH. It's also more plausible than releasing them in 2 days.

Ninja Homer
12-28-2007, 10:44 AM
While I understand where you're coming from and hope they will release a press statement indicating how much they've raised, the actual filing should not be rushed. A lot of work goes into preparing the legal document. It's not something one wants to make mistakes on just for a publicity stunt. Besides, this campaign has a history of procrastinating anyway. :(

Yeah, you're probably right. Unfortunately, after the Iowa caucus, the only talk will be about the Iowa caucus, until after the New Hampshire caucus.

4th quarter results aren't likely to get a lot of media attention in January, except to go along with, "Ron Paul did better than expected in Iowa and New Hampshire, and has the money to continue a national campaign." :D

On the flip side, you have, "Huckabee did well in Iowa, but doesn't have any money left to continue his campaign, unless we in the media continue to give him tens of millions of dollars worth of free air time." :mad:

Bradley in DC
12-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. Unfortunately, after the Iowa caucus, the only talk will be about the Iowa caucus, until after the New Hampshire caucus.

You're right though, the campaign can issue UNOFFICIAL numbers, a preliminary estimate or something. Actually, to their credit, they've got the running total on the website already. Still, a press conference or statement could give more info: number of donors, number of new donors, state info, what percentage of us have maxed out, average contribution, etc.

malibu
12-28-2007, 10:57 AM
A preliminary number or estimate for quarterly contributions - like a Wall Street quarterly earnings estimate -
may be ok to leak out IF not already filed by Tuesday Jan.1 - these things always get a final tweaking anyway.

Ninja Homer
12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
You're right though, the campaign can issue UNOFFICIAL numbers, a preliminary estimate or something. Actually, to their credit, they've got the running total on the website already. Still, a press conference or statement could give more info: number of donors, number of new donors, state info, what percentage of us have maxed out, average contribution, etc.

Come to think of it, they did that last quarter... a press release on their preliminary estimate followed by another press release on their official numbers about a week later. I'd think they'd be able to give a preliminary estimate on the 1st or at least by the morning of the 2nd. That should at least get a little attention before the Iowa caucus on the 3rd.