PDA

View Full Version : Policeman support "Hope for America"

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Policeman support "Hope for America"

I had the strangest encounter with a policeman today that I've ever had. I've only ever received one speeding ticket, been in three minor accidents, and been cited two times for equipment violations (broken headlight). But I have never been stopped for the reason I was stopped today.

I was on my way to get some groceries with my oldest daughter Marissa. We were waiting at a stop light when I caught the lights of a police cruiser come on directly behind me, he was stopped too. At first I thought he wanted me to get out of the way but he didn't turn on his sirens and as I was about to pull forward he got out of his cruiser so I engaged my parking break and rolled down my window. As he walked up to the side of the car Marissa made a squeal of excitement since apparently she thought a policeman walking up beside the car was exciting.

As the police officer got up to my window he just looked down with a big smile and said "I love your Ron Paul sticker." I nodded with a smile that was more the result of relief than agreement and he walked back to his cruiser.

I don't know about the other political candidates but Ron Paul seems to inspire a very active form of loyalty amongst his supporters. For a person to do something like this policeman did seems unusual to me. Politics doesn't lead many people to action but apparently Ron Paul's politics does. I just wanted to share this story since I found it both an amusing event and one that maybe indicates there is Hope for America.

James Thompson

http://speakplainly.blogspot.com/2007/12/policeman-support-hope-for-america.html

dspectre
12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Interesting post. Thanks!

BravoSix
12-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm a cop in Pennsylvania. I've introduced several other officers to Dr. Paul, and his message has brought them to the movement.

See? We're not all jack-booted, facist thugs. ;)

jonahtrainer
12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm a cop in Pennsylvania. I've introduced several other officers to Dr. Paul, and his message has brought them to the movement.

Oh sure you aren't! :eek:

I do say it in jest as my sister's husband's father is a chief of police and one of the best men I've ever met.

On another note, did you ask him if he'd like a bumper sticker for his car? :cool:

Cinci4RP

My step-son is in NYS trooper school. We were talking about being pepper-sprayed just a few minutes ago, although my experiences in pepper-spray were much less controlled.

Honest and trustworthy Law Enforcement is something required in a free society.

Keep up the good work.

tsetsefly
awesome

niall

Great to hear...thanks for sharing!

Dorfsmith
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
When we're sign waving we get a lot of thumbs up from cops :cool:

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I love "good" cops... it is so sad to see the "bad" ones... what is the quote where the ultimate sin is for a cop to abuse his power... or those that we give power to abuse it?

Scruffy the Janitor
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
I think cops get a bad rap sometimes, I know some great cops and most I have met after a traffic violation are polite and seem to go out of the way to not piss you off. I have met 2 bad cops in my entire life.

The way I look at it, don't blame the enforcer blame the ones who create the laws.

RPinSEAZ
12-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but that situation would piss me off.

krott5333
12-27-2007, 11:35 PM

a cop in PA, eh?

where at in PA? If you see a beige 97 corolla with a RP bumper sticker in the Erie area, please dont pull me over.

thanks!

pacelli
12-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Policeman support "Hope for America"

I had the strangest encounter with a policeman today that I've ever had. I've only ever received one speeding ticket, been in three minor accidents, and been cited two times for equipment violations (broken headlight). But I have never been stopped for the reason I was stopped today.

I was on my way to get some groceries with my oldest daughter Marissa. We were waiting at a stop light when I caught the lights of a police cruiser come on directly behind me, he was stopped too. At first I thought he wanted me to get out of the way but he didn't turn on his sirens and as I was about to pull forward he got out of his cruiser so I engaged my parking break and rolled down my window. As he walked up to the side of the car Marissa made a squeal of excitement since apparently she thought a policeman walking up beside the car was exciting.

As the police officer got up to my window he just looked down with a big smile and said "I love your Ron Paul sticker." I nodded with a smile that was more the result of relief than agreement and he walked back to his cruiser.

I don't know about the other political candidates but Ron Paul seems to inspire a very active form of loyalty amongst his supporters. For a person to do something like this policeman did seems unusual to me. Politics doesn't lead many people to action but apparently Ron Paul's politics does. I just wanted to share this story since I found it both an amusing event and one that maybe indicates there is Hope for America.

James Thompson

http://speakplainly.blogspot.com/2007/12/policeman-support-hope-for-america.html

Ron Paul just brings out the best in people, period.

bbachtung
12-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm a public defender in Portland, Oregon, and I'll tell you that there is 10% of every group / profession / demographic that are bad (call it the opposite of W.E.B. Dubois' talented tenth), and that 10% is responsible for 99% of the bad feelings that people have about the group / profession / demographic. The vast majority of local police are good people who are just doing their jobs and want to go home at night; the 10% of them that are bad apples are out to get everybody that they can and care more about "busting" people than helping people.

The bad ones are jack-booted thugs; the good ones are peace officers.

As to why peace officers like Ron Paul, the reasons are many, but I know that they love his regular introduction of bills that would give tax credits to officers who buy their own sidearms and body armor.

angrydragon
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
What kind of Ron Paul sticker do you have to get the cop to step out and compliment you?

integrity
12-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I was waving signs here in Denver for the world series crowds and an older cop working crowd security walked up to me and said Ron Paul was a good guy. He then went on to tell me he had investigated him years ago and there is no dirt on the guy.

I had a few cowards (not cops, baseball fans) yell kook behind my back but when I turn around nobody took responsibility..... True chickenhawks

BravoSix
12-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but that situation would piss me off.

I probably should have mentioned this before. While I am a Ron Paul supporter, I'm certainly not going to be stopping cars (even if they were already stopped) just to say, "Hey, I support Ron Paul too!"

Krott, I'm in central PA, so unless you're traveling through Amish country here, I probably won't run into you. Besides, I've never really been a traffic enforcement kind of guy...

bbachtung
12-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I probably should have mentioned this before. While I am a Ron Paul supporter, I'm certainly not going to be stopping cars (even if they were already stopped) just to say, "Hey, I support Ron Paul too!"

Krott, I'm in central PA, so unless you're traveling through Amish country here, I probably won't run into you. Besides, I've never really been a traffic enforcement kind of guy...

So you're not out setting speed traps for those buggies?

NewEnd
12-28-2007, 12:06 AM
I would so love to be a cop if marijuana were legalized.

RPinSEAZ
12-28-2007, 12:11 AM

Thanks. This whole situation bothered me and it just doesn't seem appropriate that a public servant would use his official position to express a personal opinion even though I agreed with him.

ThomasJ
12-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Wana know why there are fascist cops?

There is to many laws.

If you let people off for breaking the law you are being a hypocrite but if you enforce every law on the books there would be an angry mob at the police station asking for your head.

The only other real problem I have is that Peace officers should not be tax collectors like the highway patrol or state police often are. That really is just asking for corruption.

NewEnd
12-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks. This whole situation bothered me and it just doesn't seem appropriate that a public servant would use his official position to express a personal opinion even though I agreed with him.

It's not going to hurt anybody.
If a cop pulled me over, and told me he loved Ron Paul... I'd be overjoyed. I think it's great.

Bilgefisher
12-28-2007, 12:34 AM
How many folks can claim to do work 100% of the time they are at work. Cut the guy some slack. Besides it goes to show you Ron Paul supporters are more main stream then people think.

RPinSEAZ
12-28-2007, 12:42 AM
How many folks can claim to do work 100% of the time they are at work. Cut the guy some slack. Besides it goes to show you Ron Paul supporters are more main stream then people think.

If you are in uniform driving your patrol car you are acting in an official position. It's cool that he likes Ron Paul, but I'm sometimes too idealistic for my own good.

hard@work
12-28-2007, 01:00 AM

haha good to see you posting!

daniroyer
12-28-2007, 01:37 AM
We had a similar encounter with a RP supporting cop here in Miami during the Univision debate.

Me and another girl (I so forgot her name and feel like an ass for it) were guarding the stuff (soda, water, signs, cars, etc.) while everyone else was hanging signs or giving Gulliani a piece of their minds, when a police office came up and started talking to us from his car. We freaked. We had covered one of the buildings in RP signs and the cars were parked in metered spots, but we were told they were free that day.

What did the cop want? A Ron Paul t-shirt. Sadly, all the cars with the shirts and stuff were locked and we didn't have the keys. The cop came back around later and picked up his shirt. He took a picture with members of our meetup group, but I can't find it to show y'all right now.

After the crap some of the members of our meetup had with cops in that area before, it really scared us, but was good to see that the cops causing trouble were a minority. :)

michaelwise
12-28-2007, 01:44 AM
A Ron Paul supporter has an air of trust associated with them. It's like knowing who the good guys are.

slamhead
12-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Got to love it...kind of reminds me of fight club. "We are the people that keep you safe at night"

NewEnd
12-28-2007, 02:46 AM
Got to love it...kind of reminds me of fight club. "We are the people that keep you safe at night"

funnily, this movement reminds me of that movie too... the line "In Tyler we trusted"

I'll save the specifics, but I think Ron Paul has some wacky positions.... really.

cien750hp
12-28-2007, 02:50 AM
I was waving signs here in Denver for the world series crowds and an older cop working crowd security walked up to me and said Ron Paul was a good guy. He then went on to tell me he had investigated him years ago and there is no dirt on the guy.

I had a few cowards (not cops, baseball fans) yell kook behind my back but when I turn around nobody took responsibility..... True chickenhawks

damn i was at both world series games and didn't see any ron paul signs! :cool:

however, cops are like the news. lots of good stuff goes on but only the bad stuff gets reported. there are alot of good cops, but bad ones hurt their reputation and make headlines. theres alot less ba ones but their actions overshadow the good cops.

ronnieawesome
12-28-2007, 03:11 AM
My father was a cop for 30 years and he was a conservative. He said every body likes a fireman but not a cop. Cops can,t even do there job due to the liberals
in this world.