PDA

View Full Version : FM Transmitter - Spreading Ads one by one?

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Ok, I'm sure you all have heard of Belkin's FM Transmitter II. Well if you haven't, the transmitter hooks up to any CD/Ipod/MP3 Player via the headphone port. It can broadcast to any frequency FM you choose that is within 10 feet.

This transmitter is easily hackable if you search online. By amplifying it, you can easily reach a range of 50-100 feet. If you buy an even more powerful antenna, I've heard stories of it reaching about a mile radius.

Now, doing this without modification is NOT illegal. However, if you choose to hack yours and attempt to broadcast and interfere on others' radio, please realize this is against the FCC regulations and is illegal. I am not condoning this.

However, it is not illegal to do this if it's unmodified.

My point is, why don't we all purchase this device ($20-$40), and then on our way to work have it connected to an ipod/CD player and have it replay a Ron Paul Ad? It is FREE advertising to anyone in the street/freeway you are in that is within 1-2 car ranges (unless you amplify it as stated above).

There is one problem however, you can only broadcast on a selected frequency. So if someone is listening to another station they will not hear your broadcast. Does anyone know how to make the FM Transmitter broadcast on all frequencies at once if possible at all? Or you can buy 2-3 of them and then link them to your ipod or other play and broadcast on the 3 biggest station frequencies in your town.

Let me know your suggestions. Again, it is ILLEGAL to intentionally transmit radio to interfere with others. However, if you "happen" to be broadcasting Ron Paul Ads for your own "personal use"and someone "happens" to listen to it, it is not illegal. :D

brumans
12-27-2007, 10:21 PM
These work by transmitting to a static channel such as 87.7 or something. They wouldn't work at all on typical channels. So it is doubtful that anyone would go all the way down and just tune in to it.

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:21 PM
These work by transmitting to a static channel such as 87.7 or something. They wouldn't work at all on typical channels. So it is doubtful that anyone would go all the way down and just tune in to it.

No, I have the Belkin FM Transmitter II. You can transmit to any frequency you set on the digital screen. And if you buy 2-3 of them then you can link them all to your ipod and then broadcast to the 3 biggest stations in your area.

Hook
12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Go over to www.ramseykits.com and get a real 1W FM transmitter for less than $100.00. It will reach at least 1 mile radius and runs off of 12 volts dc. About the size of a book.

brumans
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
No, I have the Belkin FM Transmitter II. You can transmit to any frequency you set on the digital screen. And if you buy 2-3 of them then you can link them all to your ipod and then broadcast to the 3 biggest stations in your area.

I don't think they would overpower normal radio stations, would they? That's what I'm saying...

jake
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think they would overpower normal radio stations, would they? That's what I'm saying...

they would, if in the range

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Yes they would. I have done this myself, but this is long before Ron Paul. I was able to broadcast up to 4 houses down the road at my friend's house. But you are right, the bigger the station, the harder it is to broadcast on it. But if you are close enough and have a large enough amplifier it will overpower it. Especially if you are in the street.

Go over to www.ramseykits.com and get a real 1W FM transmitter for less than $100.00. It will reach at least 1 mile radius and runs off of 12 volts dc. About the size of a book.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

KCIndy
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
It's certainly creative, and I commend you for your creativity - but if people get Ron Paul ads interrupting their favorite talk show or song, I would imagine there's apt to be blowback.

Why not just plaster your car with Ron Paul ads so everyone will see them? :)

Nyte
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm absolutely opposed to these types of illegal gorilla tactics...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:FsT3qj-e42Y8lM:http://starwallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/v-for-vendetta-logo-wallpaper.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLD3Z6sJWA

((Brilliant! I really wish we could pull something like this off))

crazyfacedjenkins
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I made AM & FM transmitters in college. They cost about $1 in parts and can transmit about a mile on any FM station on your radio dial. They are of course illegal...

evadmurd
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
No they wouldn't. It has to be an empty channel. If it isn't the best it will do is garble the audio badly, making it uninteligible.

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:30 PM
It's certainly creative, and I commend you for your creativity - but if people get Ron Paul ads interrupting their favorite talk show or song, I would imagine there's apt to be blowback.

Why not just plaster your car with Ron Paul ads so everyone will see them? :)

Haha, both are good. I was just thinking of other ways to deliver information about Paul. Maybe I can monitor the stations and only play it during Ads =)

crazyfacedjenkins
12-27-2007, 10:30 PM
No they wouldn't. It has to be an empty channel. If it isn't the best it will do is garble the audio badly, making it uninteligible.

The ones I made could easily overpower any station within a mile.

crazyfacedjenkins
12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't fuck around with this stuff though not unless you leave the transmitter in the woods or some hidden location that has no affiliation with yourself. Maybe if you drove around and turned it on for a few minutes at a time. You don't want the FCC on your ass, they will fuck you bad.

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't fuck around with this stuff though not unless you leave the transmitter in the woods or some hidden location that has no affiliation with yourself. Maybe if you drove around and turned it on for a few minutes at a time. You don't want the FCC on your ass, they will fuck you bad.

Honestly though, wouldn't someone have to complain for them even to investigate?

ronpaulfan
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
If you had a huge sign on your car saying "Tune to 87.7" this would work well :)

Man from La Mancha
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Source, instructions, legalities all discussed here with transmitters from 1/10w-100w
Free Radio Berkeley.......http://www.freeradio.org/index.php?pagename=store/broadcastemporium.html
complete stereo FM transmitter with mixer radio station 1w ,$400, just add aditional power amps and a limiter......http://www.hobbytron.com/1-watt-fm-transmitter.html
http://images.hobbytron.com/fm100wtall500.gif

They seem to imply a very clean signal, not interfering with anything one can get away with it. Santa Cruz Ca has such pirate station for over 10 yr

It is absolutely imperative to use a filter to prevent interference from harmonics generated by the transmitter. Both these filters are low pass types which start to attenuate the signal at 108-110 MHz or so. Not using a filter will create problems and give the FCC ammunition to use against us.

7 Element Output Filter Kit - $15.00

A seven element low pass filter, composed of 4 coils and 3 capacitors, to flatten those harmonics. This one works well with the 6 watt and 15 watt amplifiers. Enclosure is $12.00

9 Element Heavy Duty Filter Kit - $40.00

A nine element low pass filter which will handle power levels to 250 watts. Use this for 40 watt and above amplifiers. Enclosure is $15.00

crazyfacedjenkins
12-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Honestly though, wouldn't someone have to complain for them even to investigate?

Well not necessarily, but that scenario would probably be the most likely to cause problems. I'm not saying that they are all over the place listening to every station, but if you were on a major highway, there is a good chance they may be listening.

If you are driving around and switch it on for 5 minutes at a time and keep switching the stations, you will be ok. I wouldn't let it go much longer than that though, not if you are transmitting for a couple of miles.

KCIndy
12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Maybe I can monitor the stations and only play it during Ads =)

Now THAT'S pretty slick!! Talk about creative! :)

legion
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
We shouldn't even have an FCC, but this wouldn't work.

The local stations in your area broadcast in the area of kilo to mega watts of RF power. Your little device is 100milliwatts. Modern heterodyning FM receivers have rejection circuitry that select only the strongest signal available at the frequency tuned.

Just put stickers on your car as suggested.

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm absolutely opposed to these types of illegal gorilla tactics...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:FsT3qj-e42Y8lM:http://starwallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/v-for-vendetta-logo-wallpaper.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLD3Z6sJWA

((Brilliant! I really wish we could pull something like this off))

Thanks for that! :D If we had enough money we could easily do that by overpowering every station. Then again you could just buy the ads :P

Hook
12-27-2007, 10:49 PM
We shouldn't even have an FCC, but this wouldn't work.

The local stations in your area broadcast in the area of kilo to mega watts of RF power. Your little device is 100milliwatts. Modern heterodyning FM receivers have rejection circuitry that select only the strongest signal available at the frequency tuned.

Just put stickers on your car as suggested.

You could overpower a station within a range of about 100 feet. Within that radius your ERP would be greater than the main station.

Man from La Mancha
12-27-2007, 10:54 PM
If one finds a clean area on the FM band and has very good clean transmitting signal with the right filters you might get away with it, Don't dare try transmitting on a large scale without a very clean signal and vocabulary and one won't get complaints to the FCC. Do it right and don't give the other radio pirates thru the US a bad name with FCC, Please.

kutibah
12-27-2007, 10:57 PM
If one finds a clean area on the FM band and has very good clean transmitting signal with the right filters you might get away with it, Don't dare try transmitting on a large scale without a very clean signal and vocabulary and one won't get complaints to the FCC. Do it right and don't give the other radio pirates thru the US a bad name with FCC, Please.

Well I don't plan on actually broadcasting my voice. Just when I hear ads starting on radio stations, I will "intercept" them with Ron Paul Radio Ads (official ones).

Man from La Mancha
12-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Well I don't plan on actually broadcasting my voice. Just when I hear ads starting on radio stations, I will "intercept" them with Ron Paul Radio Ads (official ones).That might work a certain distance, but the fringe areas of your power will distort other peoples radio and they will here some and enough that Ron is screwing with their radio signal, not good PR. Start a whole new radio station for Ron how many hours one wants, say during rush hour with signs over the freeway. A 40 watt or more station could be mobile mounted and could never be caught. Read the detailed guidelines at ...

Micropower Movement: Articles

A Tale of Two Broadcasters

FCC's Priorities

Hoisting The Jolly Roger

Transcript of the NAB panel on "pirate radio"

Mr. Brewer the Pirate Doesn't Rule Waves, He Just Makes Them

Micropower broadcasting around the world!

Steal This Radio!

Other sources

Latest news and links!http://www.freeradio.org/index.php?pagename=blank.php&subnav=history/subnav.php

IMO