PDA

View Full Version : I've received a response from David Walker - The comptroller general of the US.

unloud
12-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you in on a letter that I wrote to David Walker (Comptroller General) asking for an endorsement and his response.

Mr. Walker,

You don't know me. I am a student living in
El Paso, Texas and by all accounts I have very little that I know of in which we hold
common.

However, there is one thing that connects both you and I, and that is our concern about
the radical and unsustainable spending that our government is going through. I do not
try to say this based on guess, but I do base it on a interview that CBS had with you
back in March.

In that interview, there were several things that stuck out at me:

1) You have given up on politicians to be fiscally conservative
2) You believe that there are two things American people are "starved" for:
*The Truth
*Leadership
3) You consider the prescription drug bill that expands Medicare fiscally irresponsible.

I agree wholeheartedly on these issues and so many others I have read from you, and
yet looking at the people destined to be voted on as the President of this country I
constantly see candidates that ignore these simple facts about our nation's spending.

...that is, except for one.

I am not sure if you have heard of Congressman Ron Paul's run for the presidency but I
am writing you today in order to reach out in hopes that you have and will hear my plea.
In my seeking for a candidate that will tell the truth and say NO to this fiscal nightmare
and in my search I have found nobody except for Dr. Paul that will lead us away from it.

In his 20+ years as congressman he has constantly voted against pork-barreled legislation,
often being the only one in congress to do so; this includes prescription drug bill and so
many others like it.

Now, I don't know if you are affiliated with one political party or another, but I hope you can
recognize a candidate who shares your values when he comes along in in that hope I am
writing this letter to you in order to ask you to please look into Dr. Paul's economic views.

More than just your vote, I am also seeking something which would have much more of an
impact on the direction of this election. Dr. Paul is gaining traction quickly in the US, with both
supporters and funding but what he needs most is endorsements by intelligent people who know
limiting government spending is the only way to rescue this country before it's too late. If you
find yourself in line with Dr. Paul's views, I am urging you to please endorse him publicly for the
presidency.

For a simple student who hasn't been around long to ask you for such a thing is very
presumptuous of me. Maybe Dr. Paul should be the one doing this, yet I am TIRED of
watching my government go down the drain with our money, and I am reaching out to
anyone who can help in hopes that they will. Since I see your views as being in alignment
with both myself and my candidate I am prayinging that you would be willing to help show
the American people the person who would say no when congress wishes to increase spending.

This means more to me than any other issue, and is the reason why I am going out on the
limb to ask you for your support. Thank you so much for your time and patience. I hope
that I have made an impact on you, and if not I wish you the best with whomever you
choose to support.

Most Sincerely,
Jacob
and his response:

Jacob,

Thanks for your note. I know Dr. Paul and most of the candidates who are running in both parties. I am sure that you can appreciate that in my position as Comptroller General of the United States, I can not directly or indirectly endorse any particular party or person. Doing so would be inconsistent with my role and could hurt GAO. Nonetheless, I am committed to fight the good fight and will do what I can to make sure that fiscal responsibility and inter-generational equity are major issues in the general election campaign. I plan to sharpen the message, turn up the heat, and pump up the volume, if necessary.

Happy New Year,

Dave Walker:-) It was worth a shot.

miamiist
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Actually, it sounds like it might even be a secret endorsement. Read between the lines? =)

RSLudlum
12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
good job,,,,

We just might convince the rest of America that they don't have to be afraid to speak up anymore and ultimately, We the People hold the power of this great country in our own hands.

user
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
That's an almost perfect response. Of course he can't endorse anyone publicly, but which candidate do you think will be helped the most by increased awareness of fiscal issues? ;)

David Walker should be commended for responding to Jacob and for speaking out on fiscal responsibility.

Time for Change
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
That's an almost perfect response. Of course he can't endorse anyone publicly, but which candidate do you think will be helped the most by increased awareness of fiscal issues? ;)

David Walker should be commended for responding to Jacob and for speaking out on fiscal responsibility.

Absolutely! Good job to the OP and Mr Walker!!!

:D

angelatc
12-27-2007, 10:39 PM
That's awesome! The GAO always seems to be almost non-partisian.

If you do not know who Walker is, might I suggest : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxoP_9W6FC8

hellah10
12-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Actually, it sounds like it might even be a secret endorsement. Read between the lines? =)

was thinking the samething

Scott Wilson
12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I commend a well written letter. This is the sort of individual activism I love. If we all do things like this we can certainly make a difference.

John P Slevin
12-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Thank you for taking a shot at it Mr. Wilson-Probasco...you hit the bullseye!

Mr. Walker's response was more than could be hoped for, and should be seen as a very encouraging sign. Mr. Walker has been in the news extensively with his concerns about the growing debt.

jaybone
12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
His message will lead people to Dr. Paul.
Is there a schedule for his speaking tour available?
A few meetup members outside the venue with literature would be just the ticket.

james1844
12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Good job! Keep hitting it!

T206
12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
That was a well written letter. Its always nice to get a non-form letter response from a public offical too. Good job.

unloud
01-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Bump because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-16u9x3tfE

ItsTime
01-11-2008, 07:31 PM
was about to say this :D

Bump because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-16u9x3tfE

DAFTEK
01-11-2008, 07:35 PM

I agree, thats how i read it too ;) Good job man!

ShowMeLiberty
01-11-2008, 07:44 PM

My thoughts exactly. :)

Thanks, Jacob, for writing to Mr. Walker and for posting the exchange here.

Mr. Walker is another outstanding patriot for telling the American people the truth, even when it isn't pretty.

tom4ronpaul08
01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
very well written great job ......

user
01-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Nice, Glenn Beck mentioned RP in the video.

raiha
01-14-2008, 12:18 AM
When Glenn Beck mentioned Ron Paul, I thought it was noteworthy that David Walker did not raise his eyes to the skies or snigger(in the manner in which we have become accustomed.)

He looked deadly serious with an "I am not allowed to endorse him" glint in his eye. I noted that at the time but it has become even more significant now. Interesting that in his answer to your letter, Unloud, he neither confirmed nor denied his stance. But he did not launch into reasons why Ron Paul might be a bad move either. I take that as encouragement!!

Tronchaser
01-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Excellent letter... Crazy the the head of the entire GAO has given up on the government. What does that tell us right there? Geesh!