PDA

View Full Version : Bhutto At CFR In August 2007

Geronimo
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Bhutto At CFR In August 2007 (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/12/bhutto_at_cfr_in_august_2007.html)

Pretty interesting interview with Richard Haas.

moostraks
12-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Interesting..Don't have time yet to read whole transcript. Bhutto at CFR with Richard Haas in August 2007. Huckabee receives surge in media in November 2007and chooses Richard Haas for foreign policy advice. Now that is very interesting...

Birdlady
12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Interesting..Don't have time yet to read whole transcript. Bhutto at CFR with Richard Haas in August 2007. Huckabee receives surge in media in November 2007and chooses Richard Haas for foreign policy advice. Now that is very interesting...

From what I read (I didn't get through the whole thing either), I don't think she knew who she was talking to. She basically told them her plan that she was coming back to Pakistan to make it a democratic country again and to cut off the drug cartels. That doesn't go over too kindly with the CFR types.

"The U.S. intelligence recent threat assessment stated that, and I quote, "Al Qaeda and the Taliban seem to be fairly well-settled into the safe haven spaces of Pakistan. We see more training, we see more money, we see more communications, we see that activity rising." That's the most recent U.S. national intelligence threat assessment. And so it's often surprising to those of us in Pakistan who see the international community back the present regime. But this backing continues, despite the regime's failure to stop the Taliban and al Qaeda reorganizing after they were defeated, demoralized and dispersed following the events of 9/11."

"However, without progress on the issue of fair elections, this dialogue could founder. And now, as we approach the autumn, time is running out.

Ladies and gentlemen, I plan to return later this year to Pakistan to lead a democratic movement for the restoration of democracy. I seek to lead a democratic Pakistan which is free from the yoke of military dictatorship and that will cease to be a haven, the very petri dish of international terrorism. A democratic Pakistan that would help stabilize Afghanistan, relieving pressure on NATO troops. A democratic Pakistan that would pursue the drug barons and bust up the drug cartel that today is funding terrorism"

AlexAmore
12-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Right off the bat I can see that Richard Haass has a pretty funny sense of humor. I guess you need it when you are trying to f*ck over America.