PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Legislation

noztnac
12-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I propose legislation preventing Congress from naming things they are voting on in the manner that they have been doing thus far.

What do I mean?

Take, for example, the "Patriot Act".

Ok, if that isn't pure bullshit I don't know what it. It is an act that grants the government all kinds of unconstitutional laws to spy on its own citizens. And yet they tacked on the name "Patriot" so that people voting against it can be maligned as unpatriotic.

One solution would be to name all proposed legislation with only the house resolution number and let the various media outlets choose various ways of describing it. So Rush Limbaugh could call it the patriot act and Alan Combes could call it the infringement of civil liberties act.

Another solution would be to let each resolution be called by two names. One for the group that proposes it and one for dissenters.

Any solution seems better than what we have now.

While on the subject of lawmaking I've heard some people propose that every fourth year be used to repeal out of date laws that have piled up. This seems worth examining.

What do all of you think?

sluggo
12-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I'd be happy with the READ THE BILLS ACT.
http://www.downsizedc.org/read_the_laws.shtml

Dr.3D
12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
How about an act to impeach those who violate their oath of office?

dircha
12-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Well, what the media referred to as the PATRIOT Act was H.R. 3199.

Sure, the "PATRIOT Act" title was included in the bill, but it is entirely up to the media whether they choose to buy into the sponsor's propaganda and use that title when they publicize it.

The media could just as easily have taken to calling it H.R. 3199.

Or they could have adopted a policy of referring to it as "the so-called PATRIOT Act".