PDA

View Full Version : Job Outsourcing Helps United States

smartguy911
12-27-2007, 04:08 PM
watch this whole video on India and tell me how job outsourcing is hurting united states :confused::confused:

something interesting - 150 million peaceful Muslims live in India :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=swjc35YHyk4

Dieseler
12-27-2007, 04:29 PM
I dont need to wach a video to tell you how outsourcing hurts U. S. citizens.

I worked for a huge contracting company as an installer of satellite equipment.

At the time I went to work for them our local office had a staff of eight people working to answer phones for us guys in the field in order to process work orders real time to appease the corporate office of the satellite tv Corporate organization we all worked for.

One day out of the blue, with no warning all of these people were let go and there jobs were shipped overseas to Pakistan and India.

This was a tragedy to those Americans who lost their jobs and they did their jobs very well.

So I will ask you.

How is Outsourcing helping Americans And if the U.S. Dollar is indeed the currency of the world, How does outsourcing American jobs to 3rd world countries, even help but to keep those people taking those jobs at lower than low wages, except to keep them in constant poverty.

Give me a break, lmao.

This happened repeatedly across the Country internally with this particular company in order to save money.

This is happening everyday to American citizens just for the share holders to make a little more.

GunnyFreedom
12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty well devastated on account of offshoring myself. It has particularly damaged the computer and technology workforces. Where ten years ago I was making $55k/a year and growing, today I am lucky to get $14/hr doing the same thing. Instead, I am trying to make it on my own and am barely scraping by with one, two jobs a month. My annual is down to about $5,000 a year, or less than one tenth what it was before the massive offshoring of tech began in earnest.

anaconda
12-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Our economy GROWS as a result of outsourcing. Please do not confuse "outsourcing" with the New World Order agenda. America needs do be continually pioneering new technology and new industries, not protecting out of date ones. One would be some kind of weirdo to not love the image of the depression era rural farm or the determination of Rosie The Riveter, but these are not the ways to keep our country wealthy any longer. We can have civil liberties, secure borders, a sane foreign policy, and truly unleash our ambition and creativity in untold new industries. Consumers and producers lose when we try to protect industries. Economists are keenly aware of what is identified as a net social "deadweight loss" when governments meddle with industries. Politicians pander for votes by trying to create price supports or limit imports, etc. But it really just hurts everyone in the long run.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 05:25 PM
watch this whole video on India and tell me how job outsourcing is hurting united states :confused::confused:

something interesting - 150 million peaceful Muslims live in India :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=swjc35YHyk4

It's a double edged sword. Free trade is good for the world and the world economy. By free trade, I mean no government involvement... not the BS that they pass off as free trade.

There are losers in that deal in america. There are also winners... cheaper goods and services, etc. There's frictional unemployment as people in the US move from outsourced (lost) jobs to other jobs. I say it flippantly like I'm quoting an academic textbook, but it's one giant big deal when someone has bills to pay, children, etc, and their job is suddenly gone.

The thing is... outsourcing hurts people we know. It's more tangible. Very few people who lose a job to outsourcing will want to talk about whether it's good for the world economy, especially while they're looking for a job so they can feed their family. I couldn't even bring that up with anyone besides the closest of friends at such a time. It's just not relevant to them, and I don't blame 'em. Those sorts of things are only put in perspective many years later.

Dr.3D
12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Our economy GROWS as a result of outsourcing. Please do not confuse "outsourcing" with the New World Order agenda. America needs do be continually pioneering new technology and new industries, not protecting out of date ones. One would be some kind of weirdo to not love the image of the depression era rural farm or the determination of Rosie The Riveter, but these are not the ways to keep our country wealthy any longer. We can have civil liberties, secure borders, a sane foreign policy, and truly unleash our ambition and creativity in untold new industries. Consumers and producers lose when we try to protect industries. Economists are keenly aware of what is identified as a net social "deadweight loss" when governments meddle with industries.

It's not the economy that grows, it's the lining of the pockets of the rich that grows from outsourcing. The economy grows because of the easy money from the United States Federal Reserve however that does not make it the right way to do business.

I suppose the United States Automobile industry was and outdated? When forced to compete with countries who pay their people less than one quarter our people get paid, we are doomed to lose our industrial base. Just how does losing our industrial base make our country stronger? In the event of a war being forced upon us, we would find it necessary to buy what we need to fight from the enemy!

Are the people of the United States supposed to start living like those in third world countries so they can have some kind of job? Once we had a strong prosperous country where people from all over the planet were anxious to come here to live 'the American dream'. Now all we have to offer them is perhaps a job working at a fast food joint where they will get less than forty hours a week and so they have to work two or perhaps three jobs just to make ends meet.

It used to be only one person in a family would go out and work so the family had the other person at home to take care of the children. It is nearly impossible the way things are now for one of the parents to stay home with the children. And we wonder why out children are growing up with so many problems? Violence and disrespect for authority has grown to be standard practice.

Tell me how outsourcing has help the middle and low income people of the United States.

asgardshill
12-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty well devastated on account of offshoring myself. It has particularly damaged the computer and technology workforces. Where ten years ago I was making $55k/a year and growing, today I am lucky to get $14/hr doing the same thing. Instead, I am trying to make it on my own and am barely scraping by with one, two jobs a month. My annual is down to about $5,000 a year, or less than one tenth what it was before the massive offshoring of tech began in earnest.

Sounds exactly like my story. And considering that my slice of the IT pie was in documentation, the garbage replacing my work these days cannot be read or understood by anybody without a Websters Unabridged and/or if they live in Lahore Pakistan. A big-box retailer, my old company's product return rate is up 114 percent because customers can't figure out how to use the damn products due to the crap documentation they receive, and their per-store sales and profit are down by 85 percent. Schadenfreude can keep you warm on the coldest of nights, but you can't eat it.

I repair and upgrade computers on the side - that's the only IT work I do at all nowadays. The work is very cyclical and I do it almost at cost, but it lets me keep my hand in the field.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 05:52 PM
The economy grows because of the easy money from the United States Federal Reserve however that does not make it the right way to do business.

Huh? Ecomomic growth comes from specialization and trade. It's a basic economic truth, both in theory and observed results.

Stock markets, dollar amounts, and such, are no indication of growth. The fed can stimulate growth by allowing more liquidity in lending markets, but I'd prefer they not be in that business. (or any business for that matter)

I suppose the United States Automobile industry was and outdated? When forced to compete with countries who pay their people less than one quarter our people get paid, we are doomed to lose our industrial base. Just how does losing our industrial base make our country stronger? In the event of a war being forced upon us, we would find it necessary to buy what we need to fight from the enemy!

Very valid point, which is why growth isn't the end-all be-all of an economic discussion. Although, I'd say the industrial base of the US is pretty gone at this point and it would take some rather protectionist policies to get it back. It still wouldn't be a world competitive export.

kalami
12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Trade is the reason why we don't live like third worlders. Outsourcing jobs in a particular industry makes that industry all the more efficient because it's less costly. The economy as a whole saves the difference. People in that particular industry lose out, but the vast majority of Americans gain. Realizing these gains from trade is why we live in the conditions we do.

chowdy
12-27-2007, 06:18 PM
It's undeniable that outsourcing helps the nation. I don't have any qualms with saying this, and I'm in IT.

Yes, there will be some anecdotal evidence here and there that outsourcing hurts Americans, but it's the same whenever you increase efficiency. You always have to cut the fat. The same thing happened when computers were introduced to business, and the same thing will keep happening whenever we make great strides in efficiency.

Learn to compete. It's the American way.

EDIT: Also, we should all find manufacturing outsourcing a GODSEND. I believe a recent study showed that 1/3 of China's pollution was generated by creating goods for Westerners. We pollute their lands for pennies on the dollar, and they are thankful!

anaconda
12-27-2007, 06:31 PM
The lower your job skills the poorer job you will get. Outsourcing helps lower income people by making their consumer goods more affordable, and by focusing resources and domestic investment in innovative and high-paying industries. These new competitive industries will pay top dollar for Americans with the requisite skills regardless of their asset holdings or bank account balances.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 07:14 PM
EDIT: Also, we should all find manufacturing outsourcing a GODSEND. I believe a recent study showed that 1/3 of China's pollution was generated by creating goods for Westerners. We pollute their lands for pennies on the dollar, and they are thankful!

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. (sorry... I'm pretty sarcastic myself, but I don't always know, and I never know who might be reading it and agreeing.)

We're polluting the world in that manner. People who honestly study economics are extremely concerned with what they refer to as "externalities." Externalities are usually when their is a cost that companies incur, that are shared by everyone. The company pollutes... a river for instance, and then everyone who usues that river bear the costs of that while the company is the main actor that receives the profits - usually with no culpability to deal with the pollution they caused.

The externalities can be on a street level or world level. None of them are good, and none of them should be condoned. Even on a world level, we're all going to have to deal with it someday. The polluters won't be there to help.

Dr.3D
12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
These new competitive industries will pay top dollar for Americans with the requisite skills regardless of their asset holdings or bank account balances.

It's just the amount of money they spent on their education I guess that matters.
Too bad most lower income people can not get the money they need to get such an education. It only perpetuates the higher income peoples children getting the higher income jobs and thus keeping the lower income peoples children working the lower paying jobs. This is great if you are a higher income person, it's like having slaves to take care of the lesser things in life.

GunnyFreedom
12-27-2007, 08:00 PM
It's undeniable that outsourcing helps the nation. I don't have any qualms with saying this, and I'm in IT.

Yes, there will be some anecdotal evidence here and there that outsourcing hurts Americans, but it's the same whenever you increase efficiency. You always have to cut the fat. The same thing happened when computers were introduced to business, and the same thing will keep happening whenever we make great strides in efficiency.

Learn to compete. It's the American way.

"cut the fat"? bwahahaha! More like 'cut the muscle' and keep the fat. They keep the people who look good on paper. Never mind that I had hundreds of customer testimonials about being the best tech in the history of their relationship with the company, I didn't have a college degree (I joined the Marines instead) and those with the sheepskin broke more stuff than they fixed...

Never mind that after I was laid off, 80% of the clients I services dropped their contracts because the company became incompetent. Never mind that the company has less than 20% of the clientele now that it did BEFORE they offshored their support services and laid off all their non-degreed technicians with experience and retained all their degreed technicians WITHOUT experience.

I was, for 3 years, in the top 1% of the nationwide positive clearance rate, clearing an average of 12 break-fix trouble tickets per day, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

But I was "fat" ??

haha right.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
But I was "fat" ??

haha right.

You don't have to take it personally. When large organizations make decisions like that, they make the decisions regarding hundreds of people at once. (or thousands) Plenty of exceptional workers/thinkers get lost in that. In a lot of cases, those same people were carrying a lot of other workers on their backs to keep it afloat as long as possible.

thisisgiparti
12-27-2007, 09:04 PM
You don't have to take it personally. When large organizations make decisions like that, they make the decisions regarding hundreds of people at once. (or thousands) Plenty of exceptional workers/thinkers get lost in that. In a lot of cases, those same people were carrying a lot of other workers on their backs to keep it afloat as long as possible.

well, yeah. he should take it personally, as anyone else should take THEIR job. I think our country let us down. we are losing a foothold on the worker's rights we gained after years of struggle. now other countries with low wage standards, environmental offenses and an array of human rights abuses are gobbling up manufacturing contracts. this is the 80's all over again. Perot was right about free trade, and voters were too lazy to elect him.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
well, yeah. he should take it personally

He was taking that poster's comments personally, when those comments were referring to a group or class. He might have been the best in the group. It's not like he was working for Bob's IT service with 2 employees. That's not how things get outsourced. Or I could be wrong, and Bob's IT service started using elance. Either way, I'm pretty much on his side if you read my comments in their totality. I just thought he was defending his personal usefulness when he didn't need to, against someone who didn't mean to attack it.

Oldguard
12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
something interesting - 150 million peaceful Muslims live in India Wait until the CIA lands, they'll solve that problem.