PDA

View Full Version : Why dwell on the damned civil war?

Mesogen
12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
What the hell is up? What is this bizarre fascination with Ron Paul's views on the civil war? I can understand if he was saying stuff like "Slavery was good," or, "Let's bring back slavery," but the MSM is treating it like he did.

What is so hard to understand about the fact that slavery could have been ended without war?

I suppose there are people out there who ARE that stupid and will be turned off by Ron Paul simply because they think the civil war was a GOOD thing.

I even remember DL Hughley saying that he was GLAD there was a civil war. ???

Anyway, here's Morning Joe:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6975970166716404100

seapilot
12-27-2007, 02:53 PM
They( Old Media) want to talk about anything but the current dollar collapse, endless wars in the middle east, bigger nanny government that might make someone think seriously about Dr. Paul being as a good candidate.

ReallyNow
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
It's the hidden ball trick. They can not get anywhere near Dr. Paul's stances on current events because they know that he is correct. So they make up racist ties, ad hominem attacks and now the goddamn civil war. This is getting to be so ridiculous.

pcosmar
12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
The Civil War was not about slavery.
The issue is states rights. It was the issue then and is still an issue.
The PTB don't want to recognize states rights, they want a HUGE central Government.

davver
12-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I view this as an opportunity. The media has latched onto the civil war because they spent 13 years indoctrinated children on this issue at school. They think it is a winner. However, if people actually looked at it and started thinking, "hey, why didn't they just buy the slaves," then perhaps they will start to question other preconceptions they have.

I'd prefer monetary or foriegn policy myself, but we will have to settle for this.

Mesogen
12-27-2007, 04:13 PM
I think they are fishing for a "damning" soundbyte. They want him to say something that can be construed as defending southern actions or even maybe slaveholders. I don't know why they think they'll get it, but who knows, they may just use anything they can get their hands on.

Already in little polls I see "Do you agree with Ron Paul that Abe Lincoln was an asshole?" Not really those words, but something like that.

Mesogen
12-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I view this as an opportunity. The media has latched onto the civil war because they spent 13 years indoctrinated children on this issue at school. They think it is a winner. However, if people actually looked at it and started thinking, "hey, why didn't they just buy the slaves," then perhaps they will start to question other preconceptions they have.

I'd prefer monetary or foriegn policy myself, but we will have to settle for this.

Well, if abolitionists just "bought the slaves" the plantation owners would have bought more.

davver
12-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, if abolitionists just "bought the slaves" the plantation owners would have bought more.

No. This is exactely what they did in the Brittish Empire. They buy all of the slaves, then they make the purchase on new slaves illegal. The previous slave owners use the capital from the purchase of the slaves to retool thier economy in a way that doesn't rely on slave labor.

thisisgiparti
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
The Civil War had as much to do with slavery as the Iraq war has to do with Democracy. This is reason enough to support Ron Paul's goal to eliminate the Dept. of Ed.:)

apc3161
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
RP just owned that man in almost every single way possible. By the way, I think Mika is a closet supporter.

She's an awesome reporter. I've had nothing but insane respect for her ever since she ripped up and burned that Paris Hilton news story on Live TV.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
What the hell is up?

Smear material. There's no other reason to talk about it, besides a few instances where he was given some time to rebut the smears.

joelfarm
12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Thank You!!! for this thread to vent about this STUPID issue!! As some of you have said before me, We, as a Nation have far more important issues that need to be addressed, including the issue of Presidential malfiecense and the missuse of military forces, but the loggerheads in MSM are 200 years behind times!!!

Brian Coulter
12-27-2007, 06:09 PM

Brian Coulter
12-27-2007, 06:13 PM

The importation of new slaves had already been banned. YES, it would've worked.

Don't let the fact that the war wasn't being fought to free the slaves bother you.