PDA

View Full Version : I interviewed 4 the campaign, but they didn't "need someone like me at the time"...

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Dear Grassroots,

So here is the deal. I applied for the “official” Ron Paul campaign last month. I flew up to interview with them in Arlington, VA. Basically, it went well except for a few things. They told me that as a paid staffer, I could have absolutely no say on “ANYTHING”. I understand why this is mandatory, but it was very disheartening that for all the grassroots work I have done offline and online, I would lose my “voice” in the process of getting Dr. Paul elected. They wanted me to help them with financials (behind-the-scenes) and I told them that was fine, but I had other ideas and jobs that I thought the campaign really needed to implement as soon as possible. Below you can read the list of ideas I typed up. Unfortunately, they only gave me a short amount of time so they are a little sloppy. Anyways, I basically told them this word for word: “I would rather be a grassroots leader online and offline then a paid staffer who has no say in helping getting Dr. Paul elected.” Do you all understand and would you have done the same in my position?

12/07/07

- Never in history has a grassroots organization existed that is this "fervent" about a candidate with so many tools at their disposal. Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, video-making tools, etc. allows Ron Paul's campaign to virally spread throughout the U.S., as well as across the world with lightening speed. The campaign should capitalize on this "first-time-in-history" event.

- There needs to be a universal list of every blog and website that can be communicated with immediately. Not only from the campaign, but from other grassroots. The only way to do this would be to have someon who "combed" the grassroots websites and blogs looking for the best ideas and videos to spread. Furthermore, I have already made a comprehensive list for Jesse with 180 different sites. If this was posted on the official site with an “Add your website” or “Add your blog” email address, the list would literally grow so fast. Is all you really need is the website address and a contact email.

- I have basically spent the last 8 months following Dr. Paul’s every move from the bottom to the top. I watch MSNBC, CNN, FOX, HEADLINE NEWS, etc. from the early morning till late at night looking for anything that has to do with politics or Dr. Paul. At the same time, I report what I find on the internet to a host of different sites. Whether it is “this person just said this about RP…” or “Dr. Paul is going to be on this show at this time…!” Not everyone has had the time to do this, so I have felt lucky, but it makes a difference for sure.

- Basically, I have been a universal connector (rather then a full-time “blogger” on one website) for RP the past 8 months. With that said, I find things across the internet on around 30 different RP sites (videos, articles, posts), I find which ones the entire grassroots internet following would like to see and I either post them on all the sites that I can find or email to the people who can. This should be done by someone in the campaign… in my opinion.

- Furthermore, there needs to be a full-time link to all the MeetUp groups. This is absolutely necessary in my opinion to Dr. Paul's success. I think this may already be in the works with the "MeetUp Alliance". An order needs to be released from the campaign and the entire grassroots "MeetUp" following should know what do to, when to do it, and how to accomplish it.

- There should be a weekly or monthly collected list of ideas from the grassroots following on the internet. I say this because there are so many great ideas that are never implemented (or more likely, never heard). If there was a weekly list of ideas, the top brass of the RP campaign could look at them and decide which ones could be implemented and which ones are not applicable.

- I think the campaign should find the top 5-10 video makers for Ron Paul across the web. The campaign could vote on the videos or even better, let the "people" vote on the best of the best. I can think of a couple already, but a couple guys named Aravoth, GHOEBERX, AND 3LIBERTY come to mind. These guys should literally do nothing but make new videos. Even like $1,000 bucks a video (like once a month), will do so much for the campaign. They spread like wildfire and bring so much emotion to the campaign. People laugh, shout, and cry when they see some of these videos... including me.

- I think there needs to be someone who does all that I have listed above full-time, as it really does make a big difference in the campaign, whether it be grassroots (unpaid) or officially (paid). I can honestly say that even if I don’t work for the campaign full-time or as a paid staffer, I will continue to do this for RP’s grassroots campaign.

- Lastly, like we were discussing earlier there could be an official campaign blog of the events taking place in the office or what exactly the campaign is doing. This should already be happening. I have seen a couple of posts on “The Daily Dose” and the campaign press releases, but there should be someone who devotes a large portion of their day doing all of the things I have listed above and “blog” for the campaign.

I talked to them today and they basically told me they have no use for someone like me… *sigh* It is really disheartening when Dr. Paul preaches individualism and independency, yet when I tried to show my individualism and independency, they wouldn’t accept me…

Dan Klaus
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Welcome back turtle...we could use here right here instead...don't be disheartened friend..I think you will be happy as a free person in the grassroots rather than working on the campaign anyhow...

walt
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Dear Grassroots,

So here is the deal. I applied for the “official” Ron Paul campaign last month. I flew up to interview with them in Arlington, VA. Basically, it went well except for a few things. They told me that as a paid staffer, I could have absolutely no say on “ANYTHING”. I understand why this is mandatory, but it was very disheartening that for all the grassroots work I have done offline and online, I would lose my “voice” in the process of getting Dr. Paul elected. They wanted me to help them with financials (behind-the-scenes) and I told them that was fine, but I had other ideas and jobs that I thought the campaign really needed to implement as soon as possible. Below you can read the list of ideas I typed up. Unfortunately, they only gave me a short amount of time so they are a little sloppy. Anyways, I basically told them this word for word: “I would rather be a grassroots leader online and offline then a paid staffer who has no say in helping getting Dr. Paul elected.” Do you all understand and would you have done the same in my position?

I talked to them today and they basically told me they have no use for someone like me… *sigh* It is really disheartening when Dr. Paul preaches individualism and independency, yet when I tried to show my individualism and independency, they wouldn’t accept me…

Ah the pattern continues. WE NO LONGER LIVE IN A TOP DOWN SOCIETY, YET PEOPLE RESIST THIS CHANGE. The mainstream media and traditional government and sadly, I don't think Ron Paul's staff gets it either. It's encounters like this that make me seriously wonder if a Ron Paul Presidency would look anything like we think it would.

Thank you for yoru willingness to serve, it probably won't be needed until a future electee based on current lack of HQ execution.

wgadget
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
They didn't need any pimpin' turtles?

Elwar
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM
The official campaign gets the lovely shackles of the FEC (they cannot cross into the wonderful world of grassroots). The R3VOLution is free to run circles around the official campaigns.

That's why we are succeeding.

walt
12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
The official campaign gets the lovely shackles of the FEC (they cannot cross into the wonderful world of grassroots). The R3VOLution is free to run circles around the official campaigns.

That's why we are succeeding.

Bullshit. There is no law saying you can't have a bottom up campaign office culture.

RPinSEAZ
12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Does McDonalds let cashiers demand changes to Big Mac sauce?

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks... I am just sad, but happy at the same time...

BarryDonegan
12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
creative free expression is best when done on your own. the campaign can only do the traditional stuff, mainly due to FEC laws but also due to logistics. if they don't get some regular guys in there doing regular guy stuff they can't win. trust them to do the run-of-the-mill grampa election stuff, because it needs to be done and they know how.

trust all of us to do the ingenious, new, creative stuff.

we get the duel benefit of being able to try things which, if they fail, the campaign can just say, "hey a supporter did that, not our thing"

and if it succeeds, ron paul gets bigger.

yongrel
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM

this

RoyalShock
12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Turtle, try to think of it this way:

The official campaign has to have a high degree of unity and focus, which has likely already been discussed and agreed upon by the principals. If people within the campaign are pushing and pulling in different directions, creating tension in the ranks, it could get derailed.

There is a symbiotic relationship between the grassroots and official campaign. Both are operating under different rules, both literally and figuratively.

goRPaul
12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey, New Years is coming up, and I don't want to spend it alone.... how much can I buy a turtle ho for the night?

fortilite
12-27-2007, 02:26 PM

Post of the thread.

slamhead
12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
It is the creativity of the people on the outside of the campaign that is the real driving force. Stay here.

Ron2Win
12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Seriously, you should have taken the job. You cannot come in and expect to run the campaign on your first day. They cannot have anyone doing what they want, that would be chaos.

They don't know you from anyone else.

Had you taken the job and started low, you could be working at the White House next year.

Korey Kaczynski
12-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Really, you can't do ANYTHING you want, especially with the campaign needing people who will take orders, not try to be their own boss. That's not going to work out especially with doing grunt work, like you'd be doing.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I was wanting to start off as a grunt.... I did not demand being anything more then a grunt..... they asked me to come us with a list of ideas so I did... I am great at taking orders and that is what I wanted to do... I just did not want to be a "drone" for the campaign and just answer phone calls and emails all day... I wanted to actually give good ideas... is that too much to ask for?

malibu
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't think Ron Paul's staff gets it either. It's encounters like this that make me seriously wonder if a Ron Paul Presidency would look anything like we think it would.

With Des Moines staff calling out-of-state supporters "carpetbaggers" - and joking back and forth about the label in emails amongst Iowa meetups while congradulating themselves at learning how to flame online -
you can be sure there are at least some in the campaign that would be better off fired.

Those "carpetbaggers" from Texas and California and Mizzou are supplying the bulk of financial support for Des Moines -
and hopefully the campaign gets smart sooner rather than later.

Derek
12-27-2007, 02:45 PM
With Des Moines staff calling out-of-state supporters "carpetbaggers" - and joking back and forth about the label in emails amongst Iowa meetups while congradulating themselves at learning how to flame online -
you can be sure there are at least some in the campaign that would be better off fired.

Has the "carpetbaggers" stuff been documented?

stewie3128
12-27-2007, 02:47 PM
The official campaign isn't interested in doing their day-to-day activities differently at this point. Look at it from their perspective: the way they see it, there's only a little over a month left in this election to secure the nomination, so they're focusing on doing what they've been doing as well as they can. As far as they're concerned, the campaign's been building momentum up to this point, so they're not interested in messing up something that appears to be working.

Nyte
12-27-2007, 02:51 PM
This is blasphemy...

This is madness...

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 02:53 PM
The official campaign isn't interested in doing their day-to-day activities differently at this point. Look at it from their perspective: the way they see it, there's only a little over a month left in this election to secure the nomination, so they're focusing on doing what they've been doing as well as they can. As far as they're concerned, the campaign's been building momentum up to this point, so they're not interested in messing up something that appears to be working.

I agree with this point... but we all know that it has not really been the campaign that has been building this momentum, but the online and offline grassroots support... I mean without the money bombs that were completely grassroots.... they would not have half of the MSM's attention... without the offline grassroots MeetUp groups, there would be nothing either...

hocaltar
Turtle is only because of people like us that this campaign even exists.

jumpyg1258
This is blasphemy...

This is madness...

THIS IS SPARTA?

stewie3128
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I agree with this point... but we all know that it has not really been the campaign that has been building this momentum, but the online and offline grassroots support... I mean without the money bombs that were completely grassroots.... they would not have half of the MSM's attention... without the offline grassroots MeetUp groups, there would be nothing either...

Of course... but I'm just trying to express what the campaign is probably thinking right now, right or wrong.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Sorry, but the campaign is its own worst enemy. We are the one's doing the real work. If the campaign vanished tomorrow, I am not sure anyone would even notice. or miss them, for that matter.

RPinSEAZ
12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I was wanting to start off as a grunt.... I did not demand being anything more then a grunt..... they asked me to come us with a list of ideas so I did... I am great at taking orders and that is what I wanted to do... I just did not want to be a "drone" for the campaign and just answer phone calls and emails all day... I wanted to actually give good ideas... is that too much to ask for?

I tend to believe that you wanted a position in the official campaign staff to stroke your own ego, or you thought you needed to fix something that you saw as broken in the official campaign. I say this because you can already do all the things you are saying you want to do, in the grassroots.

Just Come Home
12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, they only gave me a short amount of time so they are a little sloppy.

No offense, but this sentance alone tells me that you probably weren't the best fit for them... I'm sure that you're dedicated, but sometimes it takes more than dedication to make the official cut.

malibu
12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Has the "carpetbaggers" stuff been documented?

Tons of emails - all of them available.

constituent
12-27-2007, 02:59 PM
sheesh, if i got my foot in the door it'd be all the "yes sirs" and "no sirs" to be honest w/ ya.

after all, we're talking about our country's next president...

sometimes your head down with a bit-lip is the only posture worth taking...

...and believe me, i find that sorta posture just about impossible to maintain (in most cases)
this would have to be one of those special exceptions

but oh well. glad to see you're still w/ us GR losers on the outside looking in.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
I tend to believe that you wanted a position in the official campaign staff to stroke your own ego, or you thought you needed to fix something that you saw as broken in the official campaign. I say this because you can already do all the things you are saying you want to do, in the grassroots.

I have a very low ego... I am Buddhist... I do not matter.... getting Ron Paul elected is what matters.... if I died tomorrow.... who cares? No one... If Ron Paul gets elected this campaign... who cares? The world...

Laja
12-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Use your talents to work the grassroots angle. Only corporate types can handle that "top down" type of authoritarian way of working. They do what they do best and we do what we do best and it may be best not to mix them.

And for that guy who said that he doesn't even think Ron Paul is aware of this, think again. He practices what he preaches...decentralized government. That means we're empowered to take the reigns ourselves. You give up your soul when you work in a hierarchical box.

A physician friend of mine had dinner with Ron Paul several months ago and asked him what he could do to help. Ron Paul said "Just keep on doing whatever you're doing. It's working!" To me, I interpret that as empowering people, encouraging them to hold onto their personal power and not relinquish it to those they deem more powerful. Be happy they turned you down. You're better suited to grassroots than an old-fashioned political campaign anyway.

Delain
12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Sorry, but the campaign is its own worst enemy. We are the one's doing the real work. If the campaign vanished tomorrow, I am not sure anyone would even notice. or miss them, for that matter.

Ron Paul himself has said numerous times "We are running a traditional campaign" when asked about the money bombs and other grassroots initiatives.

Its the grassroots that’s different about this campaign, not the work HQ does.

You cant expect them to start experimenting in the middle of a campaign.

And true, the official campaign doesn’t make much of an impact. But is that because of the establishment with their corporate media who decides what handpicked candidates you may vote for, or that HQ doesn’t do its job?

For comparison, it wasn’t until the money bombs the media reluctantly acknowledged the massive grassroots movement even existed. Before that it were just spammers and hackers.

I can understand feelings of disappointment or frustration, that’s only natural, but I don’t get this resentment against HQ. Ron Paul is doing the stuff he's supposed to do, with HQ facilitating, and we do our part. Its a tandem and damn effective. As somewhat of an outsider I have nothing but the utmost admiration and am still almost everyday in awe about the whole thing. Virtually out of nothing this well-oiled machine emerged, powerful enough to take on the whole established power structure. Wow! :)

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Ron Paul himself has said numerous times "We are running a traditional campaign" when asked about the money bombs and other grassroots initiatives.

Its the grassroots that’s different about this campaign, not the work HQ does.

You cant expect them to start experimenting in the middle of a campaign.

And true, the official campaign doesn’t make much of an impact. But is that because of the establishment with their corporate media who decides what handpicked candidates you may vote for, or that HQ doesn’t do its job?

For comparison, it wasn’t until the money bombs the media reluctantly acknowledged the massive grassroots movement even existed. Before that it were just spammers and hackers.

I can understand feelings of disappointment or frustration, that’s only natural, but I don’t get this resentment against HQ. Ron Paul is doing the stuff he's supposed to do, with HQ facilitating, and we do our part. Its a tandem and damn effective. As somewhat of an outsider I have nothing but the utmost admiration and am still almost everyday in awe about the whole thing. Virtually out of nothing this well-oiled machine emerged, powerful enough to take on the whole established power structure. Wow! :)

I am not pissed... I am just upset... I explicitly made it aware that "I was very good at taking orders and very good at taking initiative". I was not trying to "remake" the campaign, I was just trying to offer advice on what I and others in the GR thought the campaign needed... If they didn't implement it, then fine... if they did, then that is great too! It just pissed me off that they were like "We don't need someone like you..."

That is very disheartening... It is not like I was jumping on the bandwagon! I helped start the bandwagon... I was one of the first die-hard RP supporters who started doing everything in my power to get him elected before 95% of the staffers there... they only had 3 staffers up until a couple of months ago... I was fanatical about him 8 months ago...

Whatever, I guess it will be better to keep doing what I am doing...

Bradley in DC
12-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Agreed. The official staff were hired to run an educational campaign and don't have the experience, instincts or inclination to actually win delegates and the nomination. Because of which, they're now being asked to do jobs for which they aren't qualified and systematically alienate the grassroots, volunteers and potential staffers that can pierce the veil.

Welcome, turtle, there are many of us who have turned down jobs with the official campaign in order to be able to do the jobs that need to be done if we're going to win despite them. You're in good company now.

Jeremiah
12-27-2007, 04:04 PM
It sounds like you are supposed to be here. I agree with those who have said the problem is the FEC. Unless you have worked in a regulated environment you cannot know how restrictive it is. It makes everyone paranoid. It is a miracle that RP has survived for so long in the Washington dog-eat-dog culture. They may still find some way to shut down the grassroots but remember that RP voted against regulating the internet. Never forget, these guys play for keeps and the closer we get to the top center the hotter it will get. Don't lose heart. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Delain
12-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I am not pissed... I am just upset... I explicitly made it aware that "I was very good at taking orders and very good at taking initiative". I was not trying to "remake" the campaign, I was just trying to offer advice on what I and others in the GR thought the campaign needed... If they didn't implement it, then fine... if they did, then that is great too! It just pissed me off that they were like "We don't need someone like you..."

That is very disheartening... It is not like I was jumping on the bandwagon! I helped start the bandwagon... I was one of the first die-hard RP supporters who started doing everything in my power to get him elected before 95% of the staffers there... they only had 3 staffers up until a couple of months ago... I was fanatical about him 8 months ago...

Whatever, I guess it will be better to keep doing what I am doing...

It wasn’t specifically addressed to you. In general there's a bit to much criticism and condemnation of the official campaign imho. (just my personal opinion)

I can understand your disappointment. Upset and discouraged perhaps. I hope you find your motivation again in what you've been doing. Your efforts are appreciated.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 04:17 PM
It wasn’t specifically addressed to you. In general there's a bit to much criticism and condemnation of the official campaign imho. (just my personal opinion)

I can understand your disappointment. Upset and discouraged perhaps. I hope you find your motivation again in what you've been doing. Your efforts are appreciated.

IMHO, most of them are stuck in the old age of campaigning... they could truly win it with a landslide with just a couple of suggestions I offered...

james1844
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Turtle,

Its a mixed blessing. If you work for the campaign you are bound by federal election laws...if you don't you can do pretty much whatever you want to, as long as its legal.

For my part, I'm glad that you're still part of the grassroots!

Best,

James

stevedasbach
12-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Dear Grassroots,

I believe the campaign has nearly 100 people in paid staff positions. There simply isn't time to debate strategy with every member of the staff, no matter how good their ideas might be. There are people on staff who have been given the authority and responsibility to make decisions -- they need people on staff who will implement those decisions, not people who will question those decisions.

This isn't to say that all their decisions will be right -- they almost certainly won't be. But if every decision gets questioned and debated by everyone on staff, nothing will get done and Paul will almost certainly lose. They probably already have too many people on staff second-guessing their decisions, which is probably why they made such a point about it.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Turtle,

Its a mixed blessing. If you work for the campaign you are bound by federal election laws...if you don't you can do pretty much whatever you want to, as long as its legal.

For my part, I'm glad that you're still part of the grassroots!

Best,

James

Thanks James...

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I believe the campaign has nearly 100 people in paid staff positions. There simply isn't time to debate strategy with every member of the staff, no matter how good their ideas might be. There are people on staff who have been given the authority and responsibility to make decisions -- they need people on staff who will implement those decisions, not people who will question those decisions.

This isn't to say that all their decisions will be right -- they almost certainly won't be. But if every decision gets questioned and debated by everyone on staff, nothing will get done and Paul will almost certainly lose. They probably already have too many people on staff second-guessing their decisions, which is probably why they made such a point about it.

I am truly not the type of person to "mix" things up... I am much more of a follower then a leader... It just pisses me off that they were like "Ohhh no... you are way to much of an individual thinker to be in the official campaign." In my mind that is rediculous...

angrydragon
12-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Is this why we don't see much of ladyjade since she got hired by the campaign months ago?

jarofclay
12-27-2007, 05:17 PM

what he said. the "official" campaign has the weight of bearing the image of Ron. We can screw around every once and awhile and people will laugh and say "Hah, that's only the grassrooters!" Hehe, but if its official then the following applies:

A. You must do as you are told. I'm sure that ideas won't be stifled, but the boss is the boss.
B. You must like rap music and post links to it on the official blog. This is a must.

constituent
12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
It sounds like you are supposed to be here. I agree with those who have said the problem is the FEC. Unless you have worked in a regulated environment you cannot know how restrictive it is. It makes everyone paranoid. It is a miracle that RP has survived for so long in the Washington dog-eat-dog culture. They may still find some way to shut down the grassroots but remember that RP voted against regulating the internet. Never forget, these guys play for keeps and the closer we get to the top center the hotter it will get. Don't lose heart. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

welcome friend.

mohandas... thank you

people so often forget that mahatma is the indian equivalent of "don."

patriciamikkelson
12-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Eric and all.

Eric and I worked together in Fayetteville to get the meetup up and running. I talked toJason Barrick and he mentioned that you had talked about a similar idea as I had. So I decided to get on the forums and put out my ideas. I finally found your letter. I was surprised to see that you did not accept the position--thought you were already working in DC. But I am glad that you are in the grass roots. I hope that we can have a meeting and figure out a strategy to get this funded--your ideas. The way I see it, we need to have a group that people trust, and are willing to pay for staffing for that group. We need paid positions in the grassroots for people like you who are willing to help organize the grass roots. The grass roots revolution needs to figure out how to inspire and interface with the official campaign, but we can't give up our creativity because of FEC regulations.

We are trying to change the fabric of society, awaken people, get a new consciousness going. Whether Ron Paul wins or not, we can not turn back. The sleeping giant has been awakened. We need every neighborhood, every precinct to be organized with a Ron Paul support team who can identify and mobilize freedom lovers. I am creating a plan for this that I will put out to the forum soon.

I think that with Ron Paul as president, we will have more of an opportunity to facilitate the changes we want to make. Let's pray for the campaign that they will make wise decisions. If we get caught up in critisism of the campaign, we succumb to the divide and conquer tactics that the powers that be utilize, that weaken us as a movement. Believe me, I am tempted to put them down, but I realize that they are doing the best that they can. Unless there are those who are consciously sabateuging, then I suggest we do our best to support them. I don't think there is anyone like that on the staff.

I hope that we can get such power in our grassroots support team that can unite the grass roots (still giving them them all autonomy and freedom of course) that we can have more of a voice with the campaign. If we vote with our dollars, that can make a difference, also. All the money goes to the campaign--maybe if we can create an infrastructure that people want to donate to, we can have more power to promote Ron Paul in the way that we think the majority of the grassroots wants. We can even find ways of uncovering the already existing consensus that exists in the grass roots so that then we can articulate it and get the word out to others. I have so, so much to say about this. Your letter really got me thinking deeply, and I appreciate it. I have been praying for direction. I have been feeling like I have been spinning my wheels to a certain degree--so much energy put into the local meetup, but not as much results as I would like. Feeling like I had to take a step back and reflect and figure it all out. That is why I quit as the organizer--I am so glad that we had a whole team of people who were willing to take my place.

Eric, you have been such an inspiration and help to me and to our meetup. I thank you so much for that. You have been passionate and worked so hard. The tail gating parties you organized were lots of fun, and really made a huge impact with the students. Your support in the Fayetteville Meetup helped make it the successful group that it has been, which has inspired all of NW Arkansas and the whole state to get more organized. I feel so grateful that you and I got to be in on those early days where we were getting the momentum going. You have such an ability to motivate and inspire people, especially young people, to get involved.

I have been praying a lot more for direction--this project is the biggest I have every worked on! It is what I have dreamed of being a part of--but so big, that I can't rely on my own wisdom any more. You can check out my prayer blog at www.pray4ronpaul.wordpress.com I think I will send out a prayer for you right now. I don't just pray for Ron Paul--but also for his supporters and the grassroots movement and for our country.

I hope we can find a way to realize our dreams, working together and finding a few others who can work on a grass roots support team. I was calling it the meetup support team, but now I realize that it is really a grassroots support team that is needed.

I will put out my idea on the next reply and see what you think. In the mean time, I will be praying for you! And thanks for putting out your great letter.

Bradley in DC
12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Is this why we don't see much of ladyjade since she got hired by the campaign months ago?

WOAH, no! Rachel was hired by the CONGRESSIONAL office--not the presidential campaign. Very separate organizations.

Question_Authority
12-28-2007, 11:44 AM

No, but if they were smart they would listen to SUGGESTIONS.

Lois
12-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Of course, they can't hire every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to join the campaign and try to run it a different way. What chaos that would be :eek:

No offense, by who do you think you are? Just walk in, get hired and tell them what to do :rolleyes:

It's bad enough for them that they have to put up with us grassroots enthusiastic supporters bugging them all the time :(

me3
12-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I have a dozen good ideas too.

But many of them can be done from the outside.

It was cool that you interviewed though.

freelance
12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Agreed. The official staff were hired to run an educational campaign and don't have the experience, instincts or inclination to actually win delegates and the nomination. Because of which, they're now being asked to do jobs for which they aren't qualified and systematically alienate the grassroots, volunteers and potential staffers that can pierce the veil.

Welcome, turtle, there are many of us who have turned down jobs with the official campaign in order to be able to do the jobs that need to be done if we're going to win despite them. You're in good company now.

Bradley, I know that you've also worked in an official capacity in past campaigns. I have worked in several campaigns as a paid campaign staffer. I was NEVER told not to suggest ideas. In fact, I was encouraged to come up with ideas. I wasn't special in any way. Everyone was expected to come up with ideas and to voice their suggestions.

I don't get it.

What were your past experiences?

ladyliberty
12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Pimpin Turtle Dot Com I would have done the very same thing that you did! You were very open and honset about your feelings regarding the campaign and you did not fit the bill for what was required for that position. It would not have been a good fit and they realized that. It was wise of them to pass on you. You are far more valuable to their campaign as the creative, talented and Unique Individual that you are!

Unfortunately our society does not value us square pegs! Our society is geared for pidgeon holing each person into a round hole, and when the occassional square peg, non-conformist, crops up, we have a difficult time finding our niche, because we refuse to whittle away our integrity and creativity to round our edges and conform to the shape that society has given us. So we remain the square pegs of society, free and independent thinkers, with a brain that does not march to the beat of the same drummer as everyone else seems to be marching to, we set our own course in history and march at our own pace to the beat of a different drummer.

Viva la difference! Viva la Revolution!

The Campaign's loss is the Grasroots gain!!! Welcome back!

Johncjackson
12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
You got what you wanted.

Personally I would urge all individuals with any self worth to avoid employment with any political organization.

The grass roots is the place for talented individualists.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
The best way to get onto a campaign staff is to walk in the front door and volunteer. Even if that means making coffee, cutting out newspaper clips, etc. Then, if you prove yourself, you will most likely be hired when a job comes up.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess you all are right...

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
The best way to get onto a campaign staff is to walk in the front door and volunteer. Even if that means making coffee, cutting out newspaper clips, etc. Then, if you prove yourself, you will most likely be hired when a job comes up.

I could have been hired if I laid over... that's the thing... I didn't and that is why it sucks...

rfbz
12-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't really see a problem with what happened. As disappointed as you are for good reason, apparently the campaign had a specific position to fill and you were selling something else.

patriciamikkelson
12-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Well, here is my idea for a team where you can use your talents, Eric I think we are on the same wave length

Why we need a Ron Paul Meetup and grassroots Support Team

I believe that there is a great need in the Ron Paul freedom revolution for support and guidance for the Ron Paul for President meetups. I want to make it clear from the start—this is not about controlling meetups, but helping Ron Paul for President Meetups be the best they can be, and avoid pitfalls that can weaken or even disable them.

I notice that there are a number of organizations which are attempting to create organizational structures, including Friends of Ron Paul USA, headed up by and Restore the Republic (which was founded by Aaron Russo), lead by Gary Franchi. I am happy that there are those who see this need. Again—they are not trying to control, but about support and maximizing our efforts through working together. The way I see structure is this: structure is like the banks of the river, so that the creative energy, the water, and flow through, being the river-in this case.

The success of our movement has been mainly because people have been free to self-organize, utilize their creativity, and be free to choose in a marketplace of ideas. People have voted with the time and money for such projects as the Nov. 5 money bomb, the Blimp and the Boston Tea party money bomb. Many are now voting to go canvassing door to door, sign up as delegates, help make sure the vote is accurate, writing letters to Iowans, and registering people to vote.

People have voted for these things because they were first made aware of them mostly through information disseminated on the internet. They read about the information, saw that it made sense, sometimes observed that it was endorsed by someone or some group that they trusted, and decided to take action. People who are connected to local meetups usually would present this to their local group. Usually the first step was to send out a message via email, and then to talk about it at a meeting. If others thought it was a good idea, then the group would take action. If they didn’t think it was a good idea, then the individual would either give up on the idea, get frustrated and quit, or pursue it on their own.

The very positive outcome of this system is that we don’t get bogged down having to get approval from some higher up authority, such as a board of directors, in order to accomplish things. We can see that when the free market is utilized in the area of campaigning for a president, the free market really works! If you want to sell an idea, are able to sell it well (or someone has already gotten the sales part down) then the idea is purchased. The more the idea is developed—with how to do it, what to do, and proof that it is going to work, or has worked in the past, and even that it is an idea endorsed by others who are trustworth, and othes are actually utilizing the idea—the more likely people will buy the idea.

For example, some ideas that I presented to our group that I hardly needed to sell were: m

1. Making signs (like garage sale signs with boxes) that could be easily placed on street corners with high visibility.
2. Having sign making parties
3. having gatherings to put together canvassing materials,
4. Canvassing
5. Delegates
6. State wide organizing
7. changing our venue to one that was more accessible to college students
8. planting new meetups
9. picking up trash and promoting ron paul

The challenge we have right now is that we don’t have much time. Meetups who are just starting need to hit the ground running. People who start meetups need to have a jump start and get a sense of the big picture—what has been done, what works, what things are thought by many wise people as being priority.

For example, it took me a while to figure out that canvassing and delegate selection was the most important thing to do . It took me a tremendous amount of energy to work to help get our meetup on track. When I planted the meetups that I planted, I was asked by someone who I respected also. When I got our statewide group organized, it was because someone encouraged me to do that so that we could be more likely to get a paid coordinator from headquarters. I followed through on that.

I have really been blessed by receiving direct advice and mentoring from very wise and in the know people. This happened because of my networking ability and my inclination to talk to just call up people out of the blue. I also had a lot of time—choosing to work full time on this campaign has been a tremendous sacrifice, yet it has paid off in results, because the research I have done has benefited our group and myself immensely.

I dove into being a meetup organizer. I learned so much by pouring all my time and energy into this job. I still have much to learn. I do have a gift of sifting through tremendous amounts of information and discerning what are the most important actions to take. I also get a big picture view of what is happening, what direction we are going in, what needs to be done to get from here to there. Again, not everyone has this ability—so many get overwhelmed by too much information.

So I appeal to you to stay with me a little longer so I can describe to you the team that I am wanting to come together to support meetup organizers and members so that they can learn from other’s mistakes, and partake of the wisdom that is out there.

The biggest challenge I see right now is there is an overload of information. Both meetup members an organizers need a daily digest of the latest, most important information. They need to know about the handbook that has been written where they can get guidance. They need to know about all the resources that are out there for such things such as canvassing.

My dream is this: a Meetup Suport team that people turn to for mentoring, advice, to get an easy to understand feel of the big picture, and how they can be effective leaders and members of meetups. I am approaching a number of groups who might serve as the sponsor of this team, and hopefully soon there will be both a website and an email address we can use. Then, when people receive emails from this email address, they will be sure to open it. This way, they can prioritize. We will also be sure to send the word out to people to send what they consider the moste important infor to our email address, so that we won’t miss anything. This can be a daily update which is placed in blog form with links on front of newsletter.

Ron Paul Meetups Support Team: Wanted: Team Members, endorsements, and advisory board

Endorsed by Joel Lemieux, Organizer for Ron Paul Organizers Meetup http://www.organizer.com/141

By Patricia Mikkelson
http:// www.patriciamikkelson.wordpress.com

Assistant Organizer, Ron Paul Meetup Organizers http://www.organizer.com/141

I am working on finding team members who are passionate about carrying out this mission:

Our mission: to support Ron Paul for President meetups in being the most effective grassroots effort that they can possibly be in order to elect Ron Paul as well as live and promote the values he stands for.

We support Ron Paul for President Meetups in being independent, self-organizing, and locally governed.

Our goals:
1. A meetup in every county in Arkansas by Jan 1,2008 and a meetup in every county in the US by Feb. 1, 2008
2. A meetup handbook and forum that can support the mission and goal by Dec. 24,2007
3. A strategy of the best practices, over all strategy and goals to share (but not dictate!)

I have been organizer of the successful Fayetteville Ron Paul Meetup, founded the growing the Arkansas Statewide Meetup, and have planted one successful meetup in Harrison, AR. I wrote a handbook for meetup coordinators, which includes instructions on how to plant meetups. I have been studying what strategies are the most effective in getting Ron Paul elected, including the "think precinct" approach that is spreading far an wide. I have seen a need for more support for the Ron Paul meetups so that they can support the over all grassroots movement and organizing efforts that are taking place.

I realize that I can't do this alone. I want to be a part of a team working cohesively together on this project.

I am working on the following:

1. Creating a step by step guide for how to plant a meetup.

2. Actually planting meetups in every county in Arkansas to serve as a model for other states.

3. Raising money to get the meetup accounts so we can plant meetups

4. Refining a hand book I wrote a few months ago for Ron Paul Meetups

5. Finding others who want to plant meetups (I have found two others so far, Allison Lukens, Fayetteville RP Meetup Organizer and Jason Young, Jonesboro RP Meetup assistant organizer, and Corey Walsh, Harrison RP Meetup Organizer.

Main resources we are using right now which support Ron Paul meetups, and groups we want to cooperate with who are working to help create structures that can support the grassroots movement in being stronger:

http://www.organizer.meetup.com/141

http://www.Ronpaulmeetups.wordpress.com

http://www.ronpaulreveres.com

http://ronpaulfriends.bravehost.com

http://www.ronpaulfriendsusa.com

http://www.restoretherepublic.com

We are looking for committed, passionate volunteers who have had positive experiences in meetups or other groups who share our mission of helping Ron Paul meetups be effective and powerful.

1. highest priority: People who have organizational and team-bulding skills who can really bring a team together to be effective with all of us utilizing our best talents. A person who knows about servant leadership. self-organizing groups, learning organizations and can help us train group organizers quickly and efficiently

3. Web designers: People with web skills who can help with interfacing with other websites such as those listed above, including a forum, and a wiki for meetup planting. Someone to create a whole website completely dedicated to Ron Paul Meetups support which can be linked to other websites seamlessly.

4. Fund raisers who can help achieve our goals. The cost to plant 5 meetups per month is $17

5. Marketing expert who can help us get endorsement, and share the vision in a way that will take off like Nov. 5Money Bomb and the Tea Party Money Bomb

6. Someone who can present these ideas to people who could endorse them.

7. A person who can write ebooks, power point presentations and training programs

8. Contributions to the Ron Paul meetup handbook—best practices that work

9. Testimonies about how Ron Paul meetups changed your life

10. Feedback on the following priorities that we think Meetups could focus on:

1. Addressing voter fraud, getting people out to vote, absentee voting, early voting

2. Delegate process--which means starting with getting RP Precinct captains elected. Includes interfacing with other counties, statewide networking

3. Voter registration with first time voters, especailly high school kids and college;

4. Canvassing: who to target, materials management, effective ways to convass

5. Fundraising and responsible accounting

7. Meetup well being: Leadership effectiveness training for organizers and assistants--ever increasing their skill in empowering volunteers, conflict resolution, weekly meetup logistics, dealing with infiltration. Especially important: helping meetup leadership set an example and inspire members to represent Ron Paul in a positive light as we share his message with others.

8. Volunteer Coordinating--welcoming new volunteers and helping them to get involved.

9. Name recognition for Ron Paul (includes one on one talking to people, sign waving, yard signs, media coverage, service projects, 1001 ways to promote Ron Paul etc,)

10. Cooperation with other meetups, including: Expansion--helping plant meetups in every county in state. Working with others to make sure the delegation process is understood, enough delegates are available, etc. Regional/statewide rallies. Information exchange. United efforts.

11. Education about the issues including the Constitution and all that it means to us.

In conclusion, here are ways you can help:

1. Apply to be a team member. (If I don't know you, tell me about yourself and supply some references)

2. Apply to be on the advisory board.We will call upon you for your counsel and advice in our overall policy decisions.

3. Donate money to help pay for the actual meetup planting. (I am in the process of creating a chipin account)

4. Help with editing the meetup handbook or just offer your ideas

5. Tell me what you think the most important over all strategy is.

Please contact me if you can help! Patricia Mikkelson, livablefutureproject@gmail.com 479.225.0047

If you want to learn more about who I am
http://www.patriciamikkelson.wordpress.com

Cindy
12-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Ah the pattern continues. WE NO LONGER LIVE IN A TOP DOWN SOCIETY, YET PEOPLE RESIST THIS CHANGE. The mainstream media and traditional government and sadly, I don't think Ron Paul's staff gets it either. It's encounters like this that make me seriously wonder if a Ron Paul Presidency would look anything like we think it would.

of course it would. the FREE MARKET grassroots effort exists, doesn't it.

Anywhere you go to get hired to a job you get compensation for , their are outlines to a job description.

Who calls up a landscaping service, specifically needing their lawn mowed, and hires the guy who says, he will work for you, but will only mow fancy designs in the front lawn, and die some of it pink?

I would expect HQ to have a job outline for anyone they hired and paid. Whoever HQs marketing person or campaign manager is, is the one with some creative control. They clearly are not hiring for any more in that position.

Paul's HQ appears to be sticking with the traditional basics, conservatively and letting the Free market "grass roots" "express itself".

We are FREE to send HQ donations or to spend out money on grassroots efforts.

It's been a beautiful thing.

I would expect HQ to only have very descriptive paid positions open. Creatives are best utilized in the grass roots sector of this campaign. Besides, the media and America seem more impressed with the cool ideas coming out of the grassroots, then some campaigns HQ anyway.

It's all good!

philistineau
12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I guess you all are right...

We ARE!

Don't sweat it - in one years time you will be proud you were part of the grassroots. We are where the action is!!!

I would post the official campaign a letter outlining your ideas again and encouraging them to take them up. Then I would focus on grassroots - you have more freedom to innovate here.

Don't take it personally - I am sure if RP was running a small campaign, you would have been hired. However, it sounds like you are too valuable to be a grunt.

Bradley in DC
12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Bradley, I know that you've also worked in an official capacity in past campaigns. I have worked in several campaigns as a paid campaign staffer. I was NEVER told not to suggest ideas. In fact, I was encouraged to come up with ideas. I wasn't special in any way. Everyone was expected to come up with ideas and to voice their suggestions.

I don't get it.

What were your past experiences?

Yours and mine (and everyone else's on successful campaigns) experiences are the same. I gave the nicest explanation I could. :eek:

hsmith
12-28-2007, 02:25 PM
What do you expect?

Campaigns have some serious limitations due to the restrictions placed on it by the gov't. Not only that, they have very specific functions they need to perform in respects to getting things done.

You don't get hired into a traditional company at the bottom and expect to have say in the functions of the company.

Add to that, they don't want to see in the news "A campaign staffer said XXXX." That is bad for the campaign, they can't have people out there doing their own thing with the official "Ron Paul" seal on it.

Don't take it personal :)

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-28-2007, 02:31 PM
What do you expect?

Campaigns have some serious limitations due to the restrictions placed on it by the gov't. Not only that, they have very specific functions they need to perform in respects to getting things done.

You don't get hired into a traditional company at the bottom and expect to have say in the functions of the company.

Add to that, they don't want to see in the news "A campaign staffer said XXXX." That is bad for the campaign, they can't have people out there doing their own thing with the official "Ron Paul" seal on it.

Don't take it personal :)

You act like I was trying to force my viewpoint on them... I really wasn't... They asked me to come up with a list of ideas so I did... and then they acted like I was "too independent"....

I am a very good follower and supporter of any company that I work for...

Plus I am a die-hard RP supporter and know all of the issues very well... unlike some of the other people who they let join... that is what sucks

Shavenyak
12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't know if it's been addressed before, but I think you're more valuable to the campaign as a grassroots supporter than as a regulated campaign worker. If they checked into you at all, then they know this.

musicmax
12-28-2007, 02:49 PM

McDonald's doesn't hire cashiers for their sauce-making abilities.

Campaigns SHOULD hire idea men.

ronpaulfan
12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
"Wanting to implement new ideas" is sometimes confused for "Will force you to implement my brilliant ideas (or else)"

Not too surprising they turned you down. I have a hard time hiring new people that show too much independence during an interview ;)

Worker Bees: Must follow instructions and work well with others
Queen Bee: Gives out the instructions

(I completely emasculated myself with that analogy :o)

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
"Wanting to implement new ideas" is sometimes confused for "Will force you to implement my brilliant ideas (or else)"

Not too surprising they turned you down. I have a hard time hiring new people that show too much independence during an interview ;)

Worker Bees: Must follow instructions and work well with others
Queen Bee: Gives out the instructions

(I completely emasculated myself with that analogy :o)

Once again... you don't understand who I am... I am the ultimate worker bee... on steroids... yet with a brain...

pacelli
12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
They asked me to come up with a list of ideas so I did... and then they acted like I was "too independent"....

I am a very good follower and supporter of any company that I work for...

Plus I am a die-hard RP supporter and know all of the issues very well... unlike some of the other people who they let join... that is what sucks

You may have already contributed to the campaign by simply providing the list. I realize you are bitter about this situation, and I honestly don't blame you. If I were in that situation, I couldn't help feeling a little rejected.

As far as the claim that you were "too independent" - the campaign is definitely responsible for ensuring that they have legions of paid individuals who will do what they say and not think on their own. They need people to follow orders. Whether this is a good strategy or not remains to be seen-- we'll see how the polls come out and then start pointing fingers if need be. I think this shows that they don't want people who can balance ideas & follow orders. They just want someone who will follow orders, and if there is any inkling that you are a creative person, thumbs down. Not right in my opinion, but that's how it seems.

Again, I'm sorry for how you were treated. I'm proud to have you as part of the grassroots.

ronpaulfan
12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Once again... you don't understand who I am... I am the ultimate worker bee... on steroids... yet with a brain...

If someone walked into my office and said that, my first reaction would be "Righttttttt.....sure you are"

:D

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-28-2007, 04:15 PM
If someone walked into my office and said that, my first reaction would be "Righttttttt.....sure you are"

:D

I didn't come out and say that.... the thing was... there were a lot of people there who liked me... I worked for them for 4 days doing random things for them... I helped make a huge blog list in a very short amount of time... I participated in the christmas party... more then one person was "sure" that I was going to get the job and then all of a sudden it was like "sorry, we don't need someone like you at the time..."

I am not the type of person to "stir the pot", quite the opposite actually...