PDA

View Full Version : WTO Awards Caribbean Country Right to Ignore US Copyright

Chase
12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
For the record, I see no justification in banning online gambling...

When it comes to "intellectual property", I don't believe in the concept nearly to the extent that many do. I think we've seen too many disgusting court-room abuses out of the RIAA/MPAA in their war against illegal (non-commercial) downloads and the constant extensions of copyright protection are sad. I would be happy if the patent system just evaporated (though satisfied if it were toppled and replaced with something much more minimal). But I do believe in basic copyright protection, and I certainly believe in national sovereignty.

Just saw this on Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/27/1514235):

The WTO's recent ruling on Antigua's complaint against the US over the banning of online gambling resulted in a payment to the island nation much less than they asked for. It appears, though, that this payment was just part of the WTO's compensation package for Antigua/Barbuda. Via Kotaku, the Hollywood Reporter notes that the Caribbean country can now freely ignore US copyright laws - legally. This dispensation is apparently limited to some $21 million a year.

"The WTO often takes decisions awarding trade compensation in cases where one nation's policies are found to break its rules. But this is only the second time the compensation lets one country violate intellectual property laws. In this case, Antigua will -- in theory -- be allowed to distribute copies of American DVDs, CDs and games and software with impunity. 'That has only been done once before and is, I believe, a very potent weapon,' Antigua's lawyer Mark Mendel said. 'I hope that the United States government will now see the wisdom in reaching some accommodation with Antigua over this dispute.'"

Nice to know that world government is looking out for our interests. :rolleyes:

Wendi
12-27-2007, 02:54 PM
So let me get this straight. They don't like our laws, so they essentially "sue" us in "world court" and get the "right" to break other laws? Brilliant :rolleyes:

albi
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
So let me get this straight. They don't like our laws, so they essentially "sue" us in "world court" and get the "right" to break other laws? Brilliant :rolleyes:

The US signs a contract, then the neocons sneak in a law that violates that same contract. Rather than repelling the law (That prohibits their citizens from participating in Online Poker) they choose to let the WTO decide who is right or wrong. After they lost the case and the appeals, they (the US) decide .... Well this doesnt go our way ... lets just change the contract we signed with the rest of the world....

Following ?

If I give my word to someone ... I stand by it ... even if I dont like it anymore ...

Anyway ... The rules are ...if you wanna change the contract, you'll have to negotiate with the other signatories for compensation (at least if your changes would have a negative impact on the others). The US didn't want to negotiate... We (Yes, I AM writing from that pirate Island) demanded 3 1/2 Billion and the US wanted to give us $500,000 to go away ....

After killing an Industry that employed 3500 People.... Antigua thought that to be a bad joke.... And rightly so .... However, since the US and Antigua couldnt find common ground, it went back to the WTO to decide how much compensation was just.

Now the following is just a rumor : The US now goes to the WTO and says .... If it doesnt go our way ... we'll just pull the plug on the WTO....

Back to the facts ...: The WTO Panel decides ... The 3.4 Billions you lost dont matter ... we decide that 21 Million are justified ....

21 Million ... What a joke ... It basically means ... Yes Antigua, you won... morally ...but......

Antigua imports ALL goods from the US. Heck even the food & water is imported from the US. Now since the 21 Million are not cash ... they are penalizing tariffs we could add on US Goods coming into our country... we would actually screw our own people by making food and water even more expensive by imposing these tariffs.

So far so good ... we won .... but bubba rolls around the floor of the oval office and cant stop laughing.

Story continues ... Antigua asks the WTO to give them a different way to retaliate and the WTO says ... ok ... then suspend one of the other contracts you guys have with the US. And Antigua says .... how about the Copyrights ... didn't we sign something that says we respect US Patents and Copyrights ? Would you allow us to suspend that ? ... WTO says ...Yes you may suspend to make good the compensation ...

So ... you see, we are NOT breaking the laws ... The US was breaking the law and got penalized for it.

This is the truth not what you they tell you in the corrupt MSM. If you don't believe me ...check the relevant papers on the WTO site yourself ...

HTH
albi