PDA

View Full Version : Lysander Spooner (1808 - 1888) The Greatest Libertarian Ever!

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I thought RP was pretty much on his game this morning. I love that he mentioned Lysander Spooner several times.

But I wish RP would talk about Spooner's "Trial by Jury" and Jury Nullification and how despite the efforts of Unionist judges to impeach jurors who would not enforce the Union's Fugitive Slave Laws, jury nullification, the underground railroad, and the economic realities of slavery were abolishing slavery just fine anyway. Had Lincoln and the Unionists not enslaved the South with the "Intolerable" tariff, there would have been no seccession, no mass murder of 660,000, and slavery would have been abolished in the US peacefully like it was everywhere else.

I've heard RP mention Spooner and the Underground Railroad more than once with regard to the topic of civil disobedience. It would be great if he could use this campaign to also talk about Jury Nullification and how the government has been stacking juries in order to enforce its oppressive statutes.

http://www.lysanderspooner.org
http://www.fija.org

Eponym_mi
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
It is unfortunate that so many people are unaware of Lysander Spooner, but I'd rather see RP discuss current issues.

DrNoZone
12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I loved hearing Dr. Paul plug Spooner! I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd hear a presidential candidate speak glowingly of Spooner. Go RP!

Unspun
12-27-2007, 12:14 PM
One of my favorite things about Lysander was that he was one of the first to compete with the US Postal Service (before they ran him out of business).

Wolfgang Bohringer
12-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I'd rather see RP discuss current issues.

Jury nullification is a current issue that I'm sure RP believes in. And there are many instances where it really helps to bring it up. He could do this for example when he talks about medical marijuana resisters and I've heard RP talk about how difficult matters such as abortion need to be dealt with at the most local levels and I've heard RP mention juries when talking about this already.