PDA

View Full Version : NYT: McCain campaign drops; mentions Ron Paul

Bradley in DC
07-11-2007, 01:07 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/us/politics/11mccain.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

McCain Campaign Drops Top Aides; New Doubts Rise

Although Mr. McCain’s problems have been apparent for months — he shook up his staff and promised to run a leaner operation after a disappointing fund-raising performance in the first quarter — aides said the full scale of his difficulties only became clear to him toward the end of last month. Donations were drying up, in part because of Republican opposition to Mr. McCain’s stances on issues like immigration, and the campaign was falling far short of its fund-raising goals.

And the campaign had burned through most of the $24 million it had raised in the first half of the year on hefty salaries for staff members and consultants, a heavy travel schedule and all manner of other expenses, leaving it with less cash at the end of June than even the bare-bones presidential campaign of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas.

Devil_rules_in_extremes
07-11-2007, 01:08 AM
I think Jim Gilmore has a bare-bones campaign...

Hey, at least RP got a shout out by the NYT...

rockfree33
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
If McCain burned through $24 million of his own campaign money that fast, imagine what he would do with the tax payer's money :eek:

richard1984
07-11-2007, 01:43 AM
If McCain burned through $24 million of his own campaign money that fast, imagine what he would do with the tax payer's money :eek:

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone (or at least more or most people) realized this correlation?

And by the way, what in God's name did he spend all that money on?!
It's pretty sad (in a really, really bad way) when you spend $24 million and have nothing but a broken constitution (no pun intended) to show for it.

Honestly, I feel sorry for the man. I have nothing but the utmost respect for veterans (especially MIAs and POWs). And I do have empathy for McCain. But I think that it's time for him to move on and try to enjoy the rest of his life--retire to the coast and stay loaded on margaritas. I know the man has been through some shit, but it would be best for all of us if he were to stop fighting.

Besides, I still think that the issue of PTSD is probably a reality--though not discussed in the public light. I mean really...anyone who was a POW is bound to struggle with the aftereffects. I think that there is probably a whole other side of John McCain that has been completely hidden from the public, and I'm sure that it is a bad thing for our president to have such personal, dark secrets.
Just look at our current president. Does anyone here know about any of the skeletons in his closet (such as the death of his little sister when he was young)? --Very interesting and thoroughly disturbing stuff....

Trance Dance Master
07-11-2007, 02:09 AM
And by the way, what in God's name did he spend all that money on?!
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6313

richard1984
07-11-2007, 02:17 AM
It's all about trying to buy votes, huh?
So sad.... It's too bad that Ron Paul is the only legitimate candidate (in who knows how long) to actually and honestly earn his support and his votes. Maybe all/most politicians will take people (i.e., minds) seriously someday.

Anyway...GO RON PAUL!!!

Akus
07-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Wouldn't it be absolutely awesome if McCain actually campaigned on behalf of Ron Paul?

d991
07-11-2007, 05:55 AM
That's what happens when you pay way too much for political 'experts' who think things are the same as 7 years ago.

Someone tell McCain that the drunken sailor is calling and he wants his stupid story back.

walt
07-11-2007, 05:59 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6313

My theory is Google Adwords. Based on how many ads I was seeing.

walt
07-11-2007, 06:01 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/us/politics/11mccain.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

McCain Campaign Drops Top Aides; New Doubts Rise

Although Mr. McCain’s problems have been apparent for months — he shook up his staff and promised to run a leaner operation after a disappointing fund-raising performance in the first quarter — aides said the full scale of his difficulties only became clear to him toward the end of last month. Donations were drying up, in part because of Republican opposition to Mr. McCain’s stances on issues like immigration, and the campaign was falling far short of its fund-raising goals.

And the campaign had burned through most of the $24 million it had raised in the first half of the year on hefty salaries for staff members and consultants, a heavy travel schedule and all manner of other expenses, leaving it with less cash at the end of June than even the bare-bones presidential campaign of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas.

Just one problem with this, did you see what that Ron Paul clickthrough takes you to? That page is outrageous. Time for some blowback.

quickmike
07-11-2007, 06:37 AM

beer and lapdances............not by him, but his staff

dspectre
07-11-2007, 06:40 AM
This is a little off topic,

but who gave him all of that money?

Was it individuals or PACs?

LibertyBelle
07-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Wouldn't it be absolutely awesome if McCain actually campaigned on behalf of Ron Paul?

Notgonnahappen.

CFR member, pro Amnesty, pro war. 'Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran'. Can you believe a POW says something like this? Not stable.

jnpg
07-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Just one problem with this, did you see what that Ron Paul clickthrough takes you to? That page is outrageous. Time for some blowback.

I didn't think it was that bad- a link to Ron Paul's site and the 'Caucus' - and really nothing recent on there....

I went to the 'Caucus' blog and left a comment-

LibertyEagle
07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Walt, I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't see a need for any "blowback" here. I'm frankly glad they mentioned his name.

Ira Aten
07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If McCain burned through $24 million of his own campaign money that fast, imagine what he would do with the tax payer's money

Well, instead of imagining, how about looking back at the the "Keating Savings and Loan bail out?" Ever heard of the "Keating Five?" We bailed him and his accomplices out of that with tax money, so we already know what type of "guardian" he would be of our tax dollars.

Besides being the leader of the enemies of the First Amendment, Mr. McCain certainly is no poster child for fiscal responsibility.