PDA

View Full Version : This Marine would be a great speaker at a FL Meet-up

XNavyNuke
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Ban Of Device By ATF Triggers Inventor's Ire (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/26/na-ban-of-device-by-atf-triggers-inventors-ire/)

Akins, 54, is an expert marksman, ex-Marine, Elvis impersonator, seventh-generation Floridian and member of the National Rifle Association.

The Hudson man spent nearly a decade designing his Accelerator. He got a patent for his invention. Then he poured his life savings into marketing and producing it for distribution.

In the era of gun control laws, the device promised to revolutionize target shooting.

"They were selling like hot cakes," Akins said. "We were truly amazed by the response."

That was until the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives banned the Accelerator - two years after approving it.

To the ATF, the mechanism is an illegal converter kit that, in the wrong hands, could turn a run-of the-mill target rifle into a 700-round-per-minute killing machine.

Threatening him with imprisonment, officials ordered Akins to cease production, turn over the recoil springs from his existing stock and hand over his customer list.

And they didn't give him a dime in return.

More than five years later, Akins is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy.

I guess we should be lucky the ATF wasn't around when Samuel Colt invented the Peacemaker.:rolleyes:

XNN

tommyzDad
01-16-2008, 01:55 PM
If the NRA chooses the let this Devil Dog swing in the wind, I plan on mailing my cut up Life membership card back, with a letter cancelling my membership. (I should probably do that anyway; I've yet to see any support for Ron Paul in there 1st Freedom magazine.)

Fields
01-26-2008, 01:19 AM
///