PDA

View Full Version : Gangster Rap Video on RonPaul2008.com TOTALLY Inappropriate for Presidential Campaign

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I am somewhat upset that the official campaign has chosen to spotlight the "gangster rap" music video "Rise, Consise, Krookid -Ron Paul 2008 - Original music vid" in their "Daily Updates" section of the www.RonPaul2008.com website.

First of all, in the minds of many Americans, this kind of rap music is associated with vulgar potty-mouth violent young street thugs who treat women like property, and refer to them as "hoes" and "b*tches". While that type of language is not in this particular video, that is the image that comes to the minds of many people when they watch this type of trash music.

Second, I am offended that in this video, it refers to servicemen & women as "little soldiers". For anyone in the military, the term "little soldier" is very derogatory and demeaning. The term itself suggests that a "little soldier" is like a child in their understanding of issues - and only pawns who do whatever their "masters" tell them. It is the equivalent of patting a soldier on the head and saying, "you poor little child - you really don't know what's going on". If you were to call a U.S. serviceman a "little soldier" to his face, he would likely punch your lights out.

Athough this video may be used to reach a certain element within the younger crowd and perhaps can be used by the grassroots, it should not be promoted by the official campaign. If we are trying to reach the conservative Republican base, this video will lose us more votes than most realize.

If you believe as I do, please go to the link below and contact the Official Campaign to let your opinions be known on this.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/form

itsnobody
12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Whats inapropiate about the video?

user
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure it makes sense to have that video on the campaign's front page, even if it isn't offensive to most people. Along with the badly named Acclaim section under Endorsements, this may be another mistake.

bc2208
12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Totally agree.

hocaltar
12-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Stereotype much? How about you judge the song on its merits?

itsnobody
12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Well it is strange for it to be on the front page, but the music video itself there's nothing wrong with

cero
12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it
But I would have liked the campaign to also put the
"lets take our country back vid too" :)

Dutch
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it
But I would have liked the campaign to also put the
"lets take our country back vid too" :)
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Dutch

Kregener
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
We....are...doomed!

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Whats inapropiate about the video?

Please read my two points in the original post. THAT'S what's wrong with this video.

Younger people just don't realize how offensive this type of music is to middle-aged or older Americans for the most part.

And then there's the slam against U.S. soldiers. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Tim724
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
It might be a little questionable considering the diverse types of people whose vote we're trying to get.

It probably won't be on the front page of the website for more than a half-day to a day though, right? Then it will be kindof buried in a long list of links.

uncloned21
12-27-2007, 09:55 AM
what's "gangster" about this rap?

Mark Rushmore
12-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Perhaps an intentional one or two day airing of the video on the main-page, at precisely the time the media is going nuts on him about "not wanting to free slaves", is not coincidental?

RPTXState
12-27-2007, 09:57 AM
TO THE OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN:

You cannot target younger voters with this. Only we, the grassroots, can target younger voters effectively.

So stop it. Aim for older voters.

bc2208
12-27-2007, 09:57 AM
If the campaign wants to promote music videos, there are much better ones available. This is irrelevant to the campaign and a turnoff to many.

synthetic
12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Great song. I hope they keep it up and ignore any hate messages they get on it.

robert4rp08
12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I am somewhat upset that the official campaign has chosen to spotlight the "gangster rap" music video "Rise, Consise, Krookid -Ron Paul 2008 - Original music vid" in their "Daily Updates" section of the www.RonPaul2008.com website.

First of all, in the minds of many Americans, this kind of rap music is associated with vulgar potty-mouth violent young street thugs who treat women like property, and refer to them as "hoes" and "b*tches". While that type of language is not in this particular video, that is the image that comes to the minds of many people when they watch this type of trash music.

Second, I am offended that in this video, it refers to servicemen & women as "little soldiers". For anyone in the military, the term "little soldier" is very derogatory and demeaning. The term itself suggests that a "little soldier" is like a child in their understanding of issues - and only pawns who do whatever their "masters" tell them. It is the equivalent of patting a soldier on the head and saying, "you poor little child - you really don't know what's going on". If you were to call a U.S. serviceman a "little soldier" to his face, he would likely punch your lights out.

Athough this video may be used to reach a certain element within the younger crowd and perhaps can be used by the grassroots, it should not be promoted by the official campaign. If we are trying to reach the conservative Republican base, this video will lose us more votes than most realize.

If you believe as I do, please go to the link below and contact the Official Campaign to let your opinions be known on this.

Your first point is founded on a ridiculous stereotype. Not all rap is vulgar. Believe it or not, there are positive rappers out there. Regardless, this rap song is not vulgar and demeaning in itself, so your point is a moot one.

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Please read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangsta_rap

If you want to lose a lot of conservative Republicans, this is a good way to do it.

robert4rp08
12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
By the way, your second point is nitpicking. In every Ron Paul song, I can find something that someone may find objectionable.

winston_blade
12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
How about a candidate for President that doesn't feature music videos on his main page? I really question this decision.

ItsTime
12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
wow I find this thread offensive and rather racist

speciallyblend
12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
im 40 sorry not offensive ,what i find offensive is this whole thread and the post,

WilliamC
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
While I am too old to appreciate rap music this video is not vulgar or offensive to me.

itsnobody
12-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Please read my two points in the original post. THAT'S what's wrong with this video.

Younger people just don't realize how offensive this type of music is to middle-aged or older Americans for the most part.

Your points are simply racist stereotypes, there is no mention of hoes or b*tches at all, the "little soldiers" thing is nitpicking

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Your first point is founded on a ridiculous stereotype. Not all rap is vulgar. Believe it or not, there are positive rappers out there. Regardless, this rap song is not vulgar and demeaning in itself, so your point is a moot one.

AM I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED that they use the term "Little Soldier" in this video. That term "LITTLE SOLDIER" was used on Vietnam Vets and honorable servicemen returning from southeast Asia in the 60's and 70's. It was used to DEMEAN THEM. What don't you understand about that??!? :mad:

Get that through your head. It's not just about the stupid music, although that is part of it.

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Please re-search the history of Hip-Hop, before it was hi-jacked by commercialization... It isn't all bad, its just that the Paris Hilton Loving type media always piont to the empty, shallow and stupid mainstream hip-hop... There is a lot of good rap that talks about politics and life in a deeper manner in general...

As for calling the soldiers little? They are little... Little brains not heart that is... I had this conversation with a bunch of off duty soldiers in a Dubai night-club... I told them that they were mercenaries working for a paycheck without realising it... When Ron Paul is in office, the integrity of the armed forces will be put back into shape... Until then, they are just bodyguards/henchmen/strongmen for a bunch coward neo-cons...

Dave Pedersen
12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I absolutely despise.. loathe.. rap music. But I do know it is very popular among many young people. It seems to me with all the excellent vids out there placing this one front and center is yet another reason to question the judgment of the campaign.

I could not listen to even the first two minutes of that garbage. There were several good messages in it but.. well..

I am surprised the campaign would endorse this thing which talks about nefarious intent by the current and former administrations. I do not disagree with the vid about their intent but I am surprised HQ has sanctioned this assumption of people's intent. It is unlike the philosophy of Ron Paul to accuse anyone of what may be in their heart. I doubt Ron Paul has even listened to this video. Who could blame him?

I would like to see a transcript of the "lyrics". I bet much is said which is not consistent with the message thus far delivered by the candidate.

itsnobody
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
AM I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED that they use the term "Little Soldier" in this video. That term "LITTLE SOLDIER" was used on Vietnam Vets returning from honorable servicemen in returning from southeast Asia in the 60's and 70's. It was used to DEMEAN THEM. What don't you understand about that??!? :mad:

Get that through your head. It's not just about the stupid music, although that is part of it.

While I disagree with you, I agree that it's unnecessary to have it on the front page and they should remove the link

hambone1982

I think you're WAY OFF. If people get the image of law-breaking gangster thugs when they listen to rap music, that is their prejudice and perhaps racist problem.

I happened to like the song and the video.

The "little soldiers" line was not offensive to me and I'm a Veteran.

Get off your high-horse!

ProBlue33
Ok am 39, and I am ok with it, I realize it's design, to get young people to look into Ron Paul.

And I say this with no disrespect or prejudice, but certain races in America could be less likely to vote for a conservative white male, this might at the very least draw some of there attention, with music whereas they would never have even looked at another GOP Texan.

And young people can be motivated to vote in the primaries if they beleive their vote can make a difference and a change, not to mention Ron Paul is there very best hope to avoid any possible future draft.

mconder
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
I think this post and the attention we are giving it is a lot more likely to cause a stir than the half a day or so it will be on the website. My suggestion is to quietly call the campaign and ask them to take it down if you are offended, then bury this post.

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
As for calling the soldiers little? They are little... Little brains not heart that is... .

Yeah, way to win the military vote... tell them they are stupid. THAT is EXACTLY why this mention of "little soldiers" is so offensive to military people.

Unbelievable that you can't see that.

Also unbelievable is that some are calling ME racist, simply because I think rap music is offensive.

Vonhayek7
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Quit whining, the video was fine.

Sey.Naci
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Am 57 years old and think the video and lyrics are clever and very well done - love the way the vid has been put together. Despite rap not being my usual choice, this vid I like and I can see nothing wrong with it's being included on the campaign site. In fact, the campaign's recognition of the quality of this vid is another demonstration of how different this campaign is from all the others: it's (dare I say this?) progressive!

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, way to win the military vote... tell them they are stupid. THAT is EXACTLY why this mention of "little soldiers" is so offensive to military people.

Also unbelievable is that some are calling ME racist, simply because I think rap music is offensive.

It might hurt a prostitute to tell her that her Pimp Daddy is a really bad guy and that she should find another line of work, but hey, someone's gotta tell her!!! ;)

Wayne, I know you're a good person just like the rest of us so I don't think your racist and sorry if anyone else has labelled you as such... I just wanted to point out that perhaps you're slightly ignorant on Rap Music and have only been exposed to the worst of it... I myself used to be a rapper and then stopped rapping after growing out of the more ignorant type of rap and lifestyle... There still are however people who spread a positive message of love through rap music but never make it anywhere due to the fact that Rap has been hi-jacked by money hungry record labels who subsidize the dumbed down version of rap...

MooCowzRock
12-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Not all rap is "gangster" though, thats what people arent getting. Not all rappers are like 50 Cent or DMX, etc. Just like not all Rock is about sex and drugs, etc.

See, what you guys are doing is stereotyping an entire genre of music. In no definition of "rap" is there "gangster." Some rap is gangster, and its absolutely repulsive. But there is a lot of good political rap, and rap that condemns gangster culture.

Now, while I agree that too many older people have this idea in their head that all rap supports gangster culture, I think any old person that watches this, while they might not necessarily like the music much, will find a new respect for it, considering the good and true message its got.

mannycp
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
the video and song was good, if you don't like it, that doesn't mean it can't be on the main page.

Melissa
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
well i think anyone that is bitching about this song go out and canvass your neighborhood then you dont have to watch the video and you can target the group you are so trying to protect. I am 34 dont like rap but think it is one of the best I have ever heard from that genre so chill and go do something else. My god you people are way to critical of too much shit get a life and go hold a sign.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-27-2007, 10:15 AM

lol. No kidding. That's not gangster rap. Hell, it's MILD. Kinda dumb, really.

TO THE OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN:

You cannot target younger voters with this. Only we, the grassroots, can target younger voters effectively.

So stop it. Aim for older voters.

If that's what this is meant to be, I have to agree.

I absolutely despise.. loathe.. rap music. But I do know it is very popular among many young people.

This wouldn't be. Pretty lame. There are plenty of things out there that are more artistically honest.

Ok am 39, and I am ok with it, I realize it's design, to get young people to look into Ron Paul.

It won't do that. The space could be better used, imo. There are plenty of better videos out there if they really want a video. That video on the page is like having grandpa tell you how he loves the Slayer and the Rage Against the Machine you listen to, and then trying to give you a Christian Rock Greats cd.

philipsantamaria
12-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Wayne Hammond wants to live in a country where gangsta rap...or in his mind...all hip hop...should never be associated with politics. Why did rap start again?... did it not explode into the mainstream when it became a social commentary? Don't those forms of rap exist today?

Wayne Hammond has limited knowledge about Hip Hop which is why he refers to Wikipedia articles.

I can understand how someone doesn't like a style of music, or dislikes it so much that they don't even refer to it as music...that's fine...taste is subjective.

But don't generalize a genre just because some people who are rappers are obscene. This is like labeling all of us TIN FOIL CONSPIRACY THEORISTS because we think suicide terrorism is a reaction instead of an action.

Melissa
12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
and if we are going to bitch over music then I say no country hate that stuff -so only classical rock it is hehe

Johncjackson
12-27-2007, 10:22 AM
There are a lot of things about Ron Paul's actual positions that turn a lot of people off. If people can get through that and still support him, then I don't see how something this insignificant would matter.

My own thought is a large % of people who would actually get offended by this are opposed to freedom, individual rights, peace, anyway. Why would they support anyway?

I wouldnt label anyone who dislikes this as "racist". However, I think really thats the small sliver of supporters that might really care enough to NOT support RP because of something like this. People who aren't real supporters anyway. And make up such a small % of potential voters.

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Am 57 years old and think the video and lyrics are clever and very well done - love the way the vid has been put together. Despite rap not being my usual choice, this vid I like and I can see nothing wrong with it's being included on the campaign site. In fact, the campaign's recognition of the quality of this vid is another demonstration of how different this campaign is from all the others: it's (dare I say this?) progressive!

If "progressive" campaigning includes an obvious SLAM against those U.S. Service Personnel serving our country, then I want no part of it. U.S. soldiers are not the enemy to this campaign... we generally have great support within the military - so demeaning them like this is not acceptable.

I wrote the official campaign and let them know that if they continue to promote that video, I will no longer send money to HQ - and all my money will be spent on grassroots efforts.

AND I AM DEAD SERIOUS.

As a conservative, older American, this issue has made my blood boil like no other thus far in the campaign.

I'm not railing against you younger people, You are certainly welcome to your opinion, and I think you should promote this video in younger circles where it may actually do some good...

I'm just trying to get you to understand, that regardless of what you think about the appropriateness of this video, many older, conservatives will be EXTREMELY angry about it and may stop supporting the campaign because of it.

elpete
That isn't gangster rap.

DealzOnWheelz
To the thread starter

[Edited h@w]

RON PAUL WOULD NOT ACCEPT YOUR REASONING

Remember he is fighting for our FREEDOMN OF SPEECH and the rest of the damn constitution

But to say that is Gangsta Rap you are wildly uneducated about hip hop
if you'd like to hear gangsta rap to put it into perspective go on you tube and search for

NWA Fuck tha police

thats GANGSTA

Have you ever heard of Talib Kweli Thats not Gangsta
Mos Def
Pharoh Monch

RAP does not = GANGSTA

if thats the case then all Rock bands are
DEVIL WORSHIPPERS

What you are trying to do is CENSOR!!!!!

SO GO VOTE FOR THE GHOUL OR HITLERY

GOOD WE DON'T NEED YOU TO SEND THEM YOUR MONEY DONATE TO THE HITLERCOPTER

coastie
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Hmmm....I showed the video to my dad, and while not an all out racist per say, he usually cringes when he hears rap - and he thought it was pretty good.

And BTW, he's a 30 year Air Force vet and served in Vietnam and the first Gulf War. I'm in the military as well and was not offended, neither were the several other military people I've shown the video to.

Methinks you'd not care if that song was talking about tight jeans and women who use chewing tobacco.....

I for one, LOVE rap music. I grew up on it. Whether it be "gangsta" or whatever, I dont care. Its just as much a form of entertainment than anything else is. I'm from the mindest of, if it offends you - THEN DONT F*CKING LISTEN TO IT. You trying to be the moral police here is kind of ironic you being a RP supporter and all.:rolleyes:

brumans
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Wow.. if I were Wayne Hammond I would probably be crying in a corner right now.

philipsantamaria
12-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm just trying to get you to understand, that regardless of what you think about the appropriateness of this video, many older, conservatives (just 1- Wayne Hammond) will be EXTREMELY angry about it and may stop supporting the campaign because of it.

hm

Melissa
If "progressive" campaigning includes an obvious SLAM against those U.S. Service Personnel serving our country, then I want no part of it. U.S. soldiers are not the enemy to this campaign... we generally have great support within the military - so demeaning them like this is not acceptable.

I wrote the official campaign and let them know that if they continue to promote that video, I will no longer send money to HQ - and all my money will be spent on grassroots efforts.

AND I AM DEAD SERIOUS.

As a conservative, older American, this issue has made my blood boil like no other thus far in the campaign.

I'm not railing against you younger people, You are certainly welcome to your opinion, and I think you should promote this video in younger circles where it may actually do some good...

I'm just trying to get you to understand, that regardless of what you think about the appropriateness of this video, many older, conservatives will be EXTREMELY angry about it and may stop supporting the campaign because of it.

well i say then we dont need your support my goodness chill is there not anything else you can be worried about go hold a sign go help the soup kitchen but if this really bothers you that much I dont think you really understand the freedom message,. My goodness I still can be shocked about what some will bitch about in here when we have bigger issues.

rachmiel
The video was decent and I enjoyed it. The lyrics seemed tasteful. But the best way to avoid a controversy would be for RP2008 to make a section for creative works and include a bunch of music videos and movies produced by fans, upon review of course. That way they would never appear to be focusing or endorsing one particular video, in case some found it offensive.

jonhowe
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
And rock and roll is associated with drug use and sex!
We need to stop ALL music from being used in ANY Ron Paul video!

MUSIC IS THE DEVIL!

Jesus people, what year is this? If you don't like the content, fine, but lets not stereotype. I mean, god forbid if there were non-whites in that video, right?

evadmurd
I hate rap music, but have to say i thought this was a pretty well done vid. If they keep it up, though, we will hear about it in the MSM. It'll give them another straw issue to blow out of proportion. They'll use it against us, I'm sorry to say.

AdoubleR
To the thread starter

Your an A$$

RON PAUL WOULD NOT ACCEPT YOUR REASONING

Remember he is fighting for our FREEDOMN OF SPEECH and the rest of the damn constitution

But to say that is Gangsta Rap you are wildly uneducated about hip hop
if you'd like to hear gangsta rap to put it into perspective go on you tube and search for

NWA Fuck tha police

thats GANGSTA

Have you ever heard of Talib Kweli Thats not Gangsta
Mos Def
Pharoh Monch

RAP does not = GANGSTA

if thats the case then all Rock bands are
DEVIL WORSHIPPERS

I agree with your quote minus the dollar signs... No name calling necessary... Mr. Hammond has every right to be upset based on his limited knowledge on rap music... lets just educate him in the nicest way possible... Mr. Hammond, please check the last post I put in this thread...

Kingfisher
12-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I watched a few seconds of the video after the rap (music?) started. I then shut it off. Some people just dont like rap!

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 10:27 AM

GOOD WE DON'T NEED YOU TO SEND THEM YOUR MONEY DONATE TO THE HITLERCOPTER

God I hate it when people claim you're censoring them, simply because you disagree with them. That is just stupidity. Learn what censorship really is.

hambone1982
12-27-2007, 10:28 AM

AND I AM DEAD SERIOUS.

First, stop hiding behind the troops - Stop using them to further your argument. This video is not offensive to me as a recent veteran, so I don't see how it bothers you so much.

Are you really going to stop supporting Dr. Paul's campaign over a music video? Really?

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
12-27-2007, 10:29 AM
It's threads like these that shows some people just can't handle freedom......:rolleyes:

The fact that they put it up there must mean that Ron Paul knows about it. This man knows that freedom comes in all forms and shapes. He is probably dancing to it right now....;)

And just calling that video gangster rap to flame this forum is sooooooooo lame. Ok, lets say it turns of 2 people, but turn on +1000! I rather have those +1000 joining our revolution ready to spread the good doctors message than 2 people that can't even accept a harmless music video!

jonhowe
12-27-2007, 10:31 AM
The word "little" was put before soldier to keep his flow. It's music, jeeze.

Wayne Hammond
Are you really going to stop supporting Dr. Paul's campaign over a music video? Really?

Grow up and quit trying to put things in my mouth. I said that if this video remains on the HQ site, I will no longer send money to the official campaign - I will instead send money to grassroots efforts.

rachmiel
It's threads like these that shows some people just can't handle freedom......:rolleyes:

The fact that they put it up there must mean that Ron Paul knows about it. This man knows that freedom comes in all forms and shapes. He is probably dancing to it right now....;)

And just calling that video gangster rap to flame this forum is sooooooooo lame. Ok, lets say it turns of 2 people, but turn on +1000! I rather have those +1000 joining our revolution ready to spread the good doctors message than 2 people that can't even accept a harmless music video!

Exactly.

Melissa
12-27-2007, 10:36 AM

+1

extrmmxer
12-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't like rap but I think the video is fine. We all need to stand together. There's been country songs, rock songs and rap songs. I like them all as long as they promote Ron Paul. By the way, this is as far from gangster rap as you can get. The lyric little soldiers is a reference to young soldiers. Stand together and vote Ron Paul.

mtmedlin
12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
in da immorta words of the Kanye

WAYNE HAMMOND DOESNT CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE

Question_Authority
12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
At some point, in order to win an election, a candidate does have to consider perception over principle. Especially when the principle is so minor as to whether a video should be featured or not.

If the campaign had never put the video up there, no one would be complaining about its absence. There is no NEED to have it there. So, it is best to take it down before offending people needlessly, especially the soldiers. They are on our side so far, let's keep it that way.

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Stop Attacking Wayne Hammond Because Though Miss-informed, He Is One Of us!

robert4rp08
12-27-2007, 10:42 AM
AM I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED that they use the term "Little Soldier" in this video. That term "LITTLE SOLDIER" was used on Vietnam Vets and honorable servicemen returning from southeast Asia in the 60's and 70's. It was used to DEMEAN THEM. What don't you understand about that??!? :mad:

We're not in the 60's or 70's anymore and the term "little soldier" is not used in that context in the song.

DrNoZone
12-27-2007, 10:45 AM
I vehemently disagree with the OP on this. This video and song are truly unique and creative. You're basically having a knee-jerk reaction to a STYLE of music. It's the content that matters, not the style. Get over it.

jjschless
12-27-2007, 10:47 AM

You are OVER REACTING AND OVERLY DRAMATIC. Take a moment to relax and catch your breath. The song is not offensive and it is not vulgar.

You have a prejudice against that sort of music and as such you don't like it. That is you opinion. You are free to have that opinion.

Don't try to rally people to fight a crusade that exists in only your mind!

rooteroa
12-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Did anyone point out yet that it isn't even "gangster" rap? It's just straight hip hop... nice song.

mtmedlin
12-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Stop Attacking Wayne Hammond Because Though Miss-informed, He Is One Of us!

You may want to read over the history of Heil Hammond who has started threads condeming everything that doesnt fit into his religious, uptight, white universe. So far he has slandered a man who took the time to make a video and to attempt to outlaw any language he finds objectionable on this forum.

If he is "one of Us" then that term is being used loosely.

FrankRep
12-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm not seeing a problem with the video.

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 10:52 AM
You may want to read over the history of Heil Hammond who has started threads condeming everything that doesnt fit into his religious, uptight, white universe. So far he has slandered a man who took the time to make a video and to attempt to outlaw any language he finds objectionable on this forum.

If he is "one of Us" then that term is being used loosely.

Thanks for pointing that out to me... While I absolutely dissagree with what he said, I just wanted to keep the peace... I still think its better to point out where he is wrong and correct his conceptions rather than to slam him outright... I was offended by the post, but two wrongs don't make a right... Thanks for the 411 on him though, I was not aware of his previous history...

hambone1982
12-27-2007, 10:52 AM
At some point, in order to win an election, a candidate does have to consider perception over principle. Especially when the principle is so minor as to whether a video should be featured or not.

If the campaign had never put the video up there, no one would be complaining about its absence. There is no NEED to have it there. So, it is best to take it down before offending people needlessly, especially the soldiers. They are on our side so far, let's keep it that way.

I'll agree with you there.

I really like the video, but it doesn't NEED to be up on the main page.

Although I disagreed with Wayne that the video should be removed simply because it is rap music, I agree with you that if the video had never been up, no one would be complaining about its absence.

While I think the video is a great tool to use to market to my generation, we don't NEED to have it on the HQ site in order to use it.

I concede that the video should come down.

Edit: I wonder though, if the campaign didn't put this video up to create controversy in the main stream media.

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 11:02 AM
The word "little" was put before soldier to keep his flow. It's music, jeeze.

Words matter, sir.

So far, we've had people in this thread claim:

I'm racist,
I'm a hater,
I think all music is from the devil,
I'm stereotyping people,
I'm nitpicking,
I'm whining,
that I'm opposed to freedom, individual rights, & peace,
I'm an *ss,
I'm wildly uneducated,
I'm censoring people,
I can't handle freedom,
and that I don't care about black people.

Wow, and that is all in this one thread, from people who claim to be my fellow Ron Paul supporters.

God, this really frightens me that this many supporters are that ignorant.. all because I posted that I thought the video was offensive to many older conservative Americans and military personnel.

If you don't like the facts, that's no reason to attack me. It is a fact that this video will be seen as offensive to many people, even if you are not personally offended it.

READ THIS: Those who personally attacked me, rather than accept the fact that the video may indeed be offensive to some, show that they are not as open-minded as they claim to be. They seem to believe that no one can have any other valid opinion about this video, unless they agree with THEM. That's as much (if not more) "closed-mindedness" as anything I've posted here, IMHO.

As for mtmedlin's claims - calling me HEIR HAMMOND, I would suggest you don't take his outrageous claims so seriously. He has attacked my posts in the past, and used the "nazi" threat often on those with whom he disagrees. It's a common technique for people who have no logic. (associate someone with Hitler and claim censorship, simple because they disagree with you). It's the same technique the press is now using against Ron Paul, trying to associate him with support of slavery, simply because he questioned the necessity of the civil war. Basic circular reasoning.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
I saw the video becuase of this post. Its good, catchy and shows serious thought. Making music of any kind is not easy. I know some people that do rap music and it is an artform with very picky fans.

Some of the best music made recently is rap music, like it or not. Look up Kanye West or better yet Outkast. Outkast has been compared to the Rolling Stones.

Rap Music is the music of protest. That is what is happening.

What type of music do you expect from a Revolution? Barbershop Quartet or CHamber music?

ANd anyone that would not support a campaign that promotes good ideas from supporters is jsut odd. Big Tent people, a real big tent not an imaginary one.

RevolutionSD
12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought it was a great video.
I liked the song and the lyrics.

I see no problems.

We need a diversity of videos. I hate country music but if someone did a Ron Paul for President video set to a country song I would be thrilled. A video for each type of music would be fantastic. That's what the rEVOLution is about. We accept all. Let's get over this mini-"controversy" and move on!

Drknows
12-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I wish they put this one up instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZArWe8o_hI

robert4rp08
12-27-2007, 11:07 AM
By the way, the artist has helped to arrange a Ron Paul concert and rally in Washington. http://eventful.com/events/bothell/music-new-years-revolution-a-ron-paul-concert-rally-/E0-001-008140184-5

Should the campaign remove the event from the site? Should they put a stop to the rally? haha

mtmedlin
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Words matter, sir.

So far, we've had people in this thread claim:

I'm racist,
I'm a hater,
I'm stereotyping people,
I'm nitpicking,
I'm whining,
I'm an *ss,
I'm wildly uneducated,
I'm censoring people,
I can't handle freedom,

Wow, and that is all in this one thread, from people who claim to be my fellow Ron Paul supporters.

God, this really frightens me that this many supporters are that ignorant.. all because I posted that I thought the video was offensive to many older conservative Americans and military personnel.

If you don't like the facts, that's no reason to attack me. It is a fact that this video will be seen as offensive to many people, even if you are not personally offended it.

READ THIS: Those who personally attacked me, rather than accept the fact that the video may indeed be offensive to some, show that they are not as open-minded as they claim to be. They seem to believe that no one can have any other valid opinion about this video, unless they agree with THEM. That's as much (if not more) "closed-mindedness" as anything I've posted here, IMHO.

As for mtmedlin's claims - calling me HEIR HAMMOND, I would suggest you don't take his outrageous claims so seriously. He has attacked my posts in the past, and used the "nazi" threat often on those with whom he disagrees. It's a common technique for people who have no logic. (associate someone with Hitler and claim censorship, simple because they disagree with you). It's the same technique the press is now using against Ron Paul, trying to associate him with support of slavery, simply because he questioned the necessity of the civil war. Basic circular reasoning.

This comming from the same guy who belittles any newcomer on the forum if he disgrees with him. We know hwo you are wayne. We dont forget. I have and continue to have a reputation on this forum for supporting freedom to the point of supporting views that I hate. You on the other hand ridicule people, for example how you belittle the young man in the MLK donation day thread. Your tactics are to act intelligent until averybody is against you and then you belittle and insult.

Your post was racist. You assume that it is "gangster rap" which it isnt and proves that your postition is based on sterotype.

Melissa
12-27-2007, 11:11 AM
This comming from the same guy who belittles any newcomer on the forum if he disgrees with him. We know hwo you are wayne. We dont forget. I have and continue to have a reputation on this forum for supporting freedom to the point of supporting views that I hate. You on the other hand ridicule people, for example how you belittle the young man in the MLK donation day thread. Your tactics are to act intelligent until averybody is against you and then you belittle and insult.

Your post was racist. You assume that it is "gangster rap" which it isnt and proves that your postition is based on sterotype.

+1

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 11:11 AM
This comming from the same guy who belittles any newcomer on the forum if he disgrees with him.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a racist. Geesh. :rolleyes: There you go again.

CrazyRonPaulSupporter
12-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm racist,
I'm a hater,
I'm stereotyping people,
I'm nitpicking,
I'm whining,
I'm an *ss,
I'm wildly uneducated,
I'm censoring people,
I can't handle freedom,

Well, that's what you get from trolling these forums! And that was the reactions you wanted, so your doing a great job.......Troll 101...

Seanmc30
12-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Rap music appeals to a large demographic. The song was not offensive.

hard@work
12-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Wayne,

I understand what you are saying. However, this is not "gangster rap". That connection between rap music or hip hop is negative and simply untrue. What you are really saying is that we should ask for this video to be removed because you yourself and / or others will not understand culturally what the music is about. With the enemy coordinating attacks based on racist statements made by an employee of Ron Paul years ago I couldn't support their decision to put a hip hop video on the front page more. In fact, if they remove it I will be upset personally.

Just my two cents.

@

Original_Intent
12-27-2007, 11:18 AM

I am glad we have someone in charge of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. I was getting a little worried that this campaign was lacking in that department. Thanks for stepping forward.

I agree with the sentiment, but guess I just don't have the self-esteem to start labeling things as unacceptable.

mtmedlin
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Not everyone who disagrees with you is a racist. Geesh. :rolleyes: There you go again.

Nope Wayne, not everyone, but I do live by the simple rule. If someone stereotypes on a forum and it appears racist, and then several others agree, it seems a fair assumption. For your sake, I will assume that you are not a racist but just amazingly careless with your words.

ps. I love how open minded you prove yourself to be with each and every post. I especially like how you refer to us as ignorant. You open mindedness is impressive.

Gorgy
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
This thread proves what most of us already know: people love to fight among themselves so much that they'll invent things to fight about. Good job threadstarter, you really did a good job stirring up controversy and unhappiness by posting a thread on this site where none of us can do anything even if we want to, when you simply could have emailed the campaign with your thoughts. Again, good job...don't forget to donate the $100 you probably reserved for the Huckster.

DirtMcGirt
12-27-2007, 11:20 AM
this should be on the you tube section of site

Wayne Hammond
Rap music appeals to a large demographic.

I know it does. And that is what truly saddens me and many older Americans. It is a sad commentary on the preferences of the younger generation.

Maybe I'm just too old for all this politics stuff. Who knows. I'll be out of this world in a few years, long before you all see the final effects of all this stuff. If I had any sense, I'd just shut up and let it all hit the fan.

I was just expressing my opinion as a conservative, older American. Guess that's too much for many here to handle.

I'm done replying in this thread, so it's all yours. :)

michaelwise
Can we get HQ to take a look at this most excellent campaign song? How can they not consider putting this up front, it is the best period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAqcNB3hCI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIAqcNB3hCI

coffeewithchess
12-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I saw it on the front page and thought the same thing, "What in the world are they doing? Can't the campaign put up an endorsement video from Barry Goldwater Jr. again or even Chuck Baldwin..." I guess this is a good sign that there is at least some form of life working on the campaign site though...lol, they just seem to get on everybody's nerves no matter what they do.

constituent
12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
i don't understand how rap music can be offense just b/c it's rap music. that's insane, seriously.

DrRich
12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
they already have young peoples vote.

go get OLDER peoples votes! (aint gonna do that with a rap song)

markderidder
12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree... it looks stupid.

-Mark

constituent
12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Wayne,

<snip>What you are really saying is that we should ask for this video to be removed because you yourself and / or others will not understand culturally what the music is about. With the enemy coordinating attacks based on racist statements made by an employee of Ron Paul years ago I couldn't support their decision to put a hip hop video on the front page more. In fact, if they remove it I will be upset personally.

Just my two cents.

@

QFT

constituent
12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
they already have young peoples vote.

go get OLDER peoples votes! (aint gonna do that with a rap song)

are you referring to the same old people that we're all supposed to get off of the
internet and reach out to... since they're not on the internet or whatever???

so is a rap video on the website going to matter all that much to these... ummm... older people....

jeez, demon collectivism muddles it all.

Melissa
12-27-2007, 11:47 AM
are you referring to the same old people that we're all supposed to get off of the

so is a rap video on the website going to matter all that much to these... ummm... older people....

+1

jd603
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
It's a good rap, but you're right, it is risky! heheh

PimpBlimp
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I have to agree. We already have the young peoples votes. This is only going to hurt getting the older conservative right vote. So stupid

AlexMerced
12-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I know a lot of people that registered to vote today cause of this, a lot people feel the candidates don't represent them, and this and the Muhammad Ali Speech did it for them.

Kuldebar
12-27-2007, 12:00 PM

Nah, what's in the minds of most Americans is utter bunk. Appealing to irrationality has rapidly diminishing returns.

If people are so closed-minded and programmed to never reconsider their presumptions or be objective, well then there's really no hope for America and Claire Wolfe's comment will become reality for a while:

“America is at that awkward stage. It’s too late to change the system from within, yet too early to shoot the bastards.”

Sey.Naci
12-27-2007, 12:18 PM

jeez, demon collectivism muddles it all.QFT+2 :D :D :D :D :D

carter5434
12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
If you don't like it, don't watch it. Feel free to contact the campaign and let them know that you don't like it. That's your right. But calling for it's removal I'm against. Freedom is popular.

hard@work
12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I know it does. And that is what truly saddens me and many older Americans. It is a sad commentary on the preferences of the younger generation.

Oh? Is it really a sad commentary on the preferences of the "younger generation"? Is it the corruption that "gangster rap" brought that you dislike or is it the music itself?

"Gangster Rap" was promoted by the media, not by the hip hop community. Rap music is poetry, nothing more nothing less. How is poetry a bad thing? Hip hop music came from a much different place than "gangster rap" did. True hip hop is a testament to freedom and is the spoken word of poets from situations that cause them to speak out.

There is a difference between the "four elements" of hip hop and "gangster rap". Gangster rap is nothing more than the words of those who are living lives full of hatred and fear. Hip hop is the message of hope and conscience. Sometimes of love, jealousy, poverty, or other facets of life and experience. This message was twisted by those more interested in the dollar than anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqQXD6bV5kQ

A tribute to Nagasaki and Hiroshima by a Japanese hip hop artist. One who the mainstream would never promote as the messages spread by these types of hip hop artists are counter culture; revolutionary. Those of peace, freedom, love, and tolerance. The message that Krush sends through Aletheuo (Truthspeaking) is that we do not listen to those who are against war (the freaks), that our lives are sucked into corporatism. And that while an entire society was sent to oblivion in the past today we live without reverence to these tragic events. I see nothing but beauty in this type of art. How is this not true?

It is not the choice of the hip hop community to have gangster rap or the faux MTV style of "hip hop" promoted over the real message.

Hip hop consists of four artists:

1. The DJ who modifies the music through mixing and manipulation of vinyl.
2. The MC who contributes spoken word and poetry of a variety of subjects.
3. The graffiti artist who modifies the world around us and changes the environment we are in directly.
4. The dancer or "bboy" who expresses physically the message of the music itself.

None of these elements is respected by MTV or the various music industry executives. They do not promote these messages, and you should be asking why.

Guns, bitches, and bling were never part of the four elements and never will be.

Just like we fight against an MSM that spreads lies and distortions music itself is manipulated by the very same forces. Canned and distributed in formulas based on their ability to generate revenue. Some would say deliberately to influence youth culture away from the positive values that the music truly represents.

In true hip hop culture we have a great and untapped ally against the evils of mankind. Just my 2 copper.

@

DrRich
12-27-2007, 12:28 PM

when i say older, i mean people in their 30s and 40s who really dont listen to rap music. i am a doctor in my early thirties and yes, i listen to rap music.
But i can tell you right now that my older colleagues abhors rap music and would be completely turned off by that video on that website. (I direct many many many of my colleagues to that particular website everyday.)

filmmaker58
12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I think it's great that they endorse the music video. they should endorse this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZArWe8o_hI one as well. When you endorse freedom folks, you do it for everyone, not just the people you like. I'm not a huge fan of rap, but I am a huge fan of artistry in every form. This was a great song, and I'm inspired to see young people out DOING SOMETHING!!! "Ron Paul for President 2000 and 8"!!!! How can you argue with that?

RP4Pres2008
12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
OHHHH NOES!!! It's da GANGSTA RAP!!

hahahaha you people are funny...if rapping about corrupt politics and a horrible political system is "gangster" than the ghetto must be doing buetter than I thought LOL

PRIEST
12-27-2007, 12:34 PM
The song/video in question is an outstanding example of the effort certain people put forth due to the freedom message Ron Paul brings.

rfbz
12-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I can't stand rap and I have no problem with this vid. Lighten up, sheesh

jd603
12-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah I forgot to mention, this is NOT "gangsta" rap, it IS rap though.

OHHHH NOES!!! It's da GANGSTA RAP!!

hahahaha you people are funny...if rapping about corrupt politics and a horrible political system is "gangster" than the ghetto must be doing buetter than I thought LOL

Omnis
12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
"I think the essence of what Hip Hop is about, I mean, I think you people can attest to it, you people that are here, it’s not about money, cars and diamonds and giving the negative images to our kids and making them believe that they have to walk around with a gun and shot it just to feel validated. You know what I mean. Or they have to strive to be drug dealers. You know what I mean. That’s not what it is, that’s not what it is. So if you do anything, remember that hip-hop is not just about the music, I mean, it's about a way of life, and our whole culture, and it didn't start with the Sugarhill Gang, and as much as I love Jam Master Jay it didn't start with Run DMC.

Before Rap was game before Hip Hop was a Nation,
Before Lauryn Hill began her miseducation.
Before Milk was Chillin’ or PE Brought the Noise,
Before Heavy D and the Boyz.
Before the roof caught on fire,
Before fresh was the word.
Before Whodini and Friends and Roxanne’s Revenge
Before the freaks came out at night.
Before Say “HO”,
Before the Crash Crew was rocking on the Radio.
Before Whitney, Mariah and Brandy and Janet,
Before, Bam and the Soul Sonic Force Rocked the Planet
Before these are the Breaks, and
Before Hard Times.
Before the Gang, King Tim and Before Super Rhymes.
Before Reagonomics,
Before Rapper got shot in thier stomachs.
Before you found Hip Hop in comics.
Before Gee’s ,
Before weed was Trees.
Before going raw dog gave you a deadly disease,
Before Haters,
Before Thugs and perpetrators.
Before the Alphas and
Before the Betas.
Before beeper, cell phones, retrogards, FedEx, Food Stamps and Metro Cars
Before Gatz, or Cops were 5-“O” and
Before Gatz was answers and
Before the B-Boys turned into break dancers
Before Legs was Crazy,
Before Al turned to Swayzy,
Back Before my man “L” said its Hot and its Humid and its Hazy.
Before trends and tattoos,
By know means get this twisted,
My name is HIP HOP and I’ve always existed.”

- Grandmaster Caz

Wwillywoo
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
"Younger people just don't realize how offensive this type of music is to middle-aged or older Americans for the most part."

I hope you are kidding here. If this type of music offends you, you are showing your ignorance and your lack of information and knowledge concerning people and music.

I heard no mention of ho's, killing, bitches or anything close.

The song seemed to me to be very supportive of the Constitution and the good things about America and all you heard a beat and some rhymes and associated it with "gansters".

Hey I have an idea. Let's try to make all young people conform to the thoughts, lifestyles and music of "middle aged or older Americans". That way we wouldn't have to put up with young people expressing themselves in a way that we don't approve of.

I remember when I wasn't allowed to have a Beatles album because my father thought it would somehow corrupt me.

As for your take on the soldier line, I think your skewed perception of the music has affected your ability to listen to the entire song for what it is.

hard@work
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Something for you to reflect on Wayne, and again I respect your opinion and completely understand your concerns.

But isn't it the older generations treatment of the messages coming from the youth that should be called to question? Is it not those of the elder generation that choose ultimately what is promoted from the cultural diversity that makes up our nation?

Just some more thoughts for you.

free.alive
12-27-2007, 12:49 PM
lighten up

DrRich
12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
"Younger people just don't realize how offensive this type of music is to middle-aged or older Americans for the most part."

I hope you are kidding here. If this type of music offends you, you are showing your ignorance and your lack of information and knowledge concerning people and music.
s.

first off, let me say that i like the song.
but like i stated earlier, i direct many many older professionals (mostly doctors) to the official site who will turn off rap music in any shape or form. This is the reality. I am quite certain that the message the rap song impart is quite powerful but if they are not willing to listen to it because its in the wrong form of music, all that message is lost.

slamhead
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Its hardly gangster.

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM

OK. It sucks.

HTH
Randy

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Little solder refers to the penis when at attention. Not good.

Randy.

kutibah
12-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Stop judging it because it's "rap". Listen to the lyrics. After all, lyrics are what make a song. The style the song is played has nothing to do with how it should be perceived.

coffeewithchess
12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I would rather have a video that does cause a little controversy, then the media may actually report on it for an entire week...headlines being "Ron Paul is now encouraging rebellion in youth with rap videos on his website", maybe then they would put his name on every 20 minutes like Huck's Christmas ad...the only problem is that if we look at the history of voting, the people this would likely reach and encourage to vote, don't typically vote in elections...history has repeatedly showed that it is the older population that seems to turn out for elections and if I was the campaign, I would be treading lightly with the older population and trying to get as many of those people as possible.

Thrice
12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
The arguments put forth by the OP smack of the same 'guilt by association' that we get from a neo-nazi donation.

Jongleur
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I have seen a lot of people on this site champion the RP campaign for being a "big tent" - having people of all ages, races, and viewpoints. Most often this has been as a defense to charges of racism raised when RP didn't return Don Black's money.

If we use the big tent for that purpose, we sure as heck better be accepting of a little bit of urban culture (i.e., rap and hip hop) in this campaign.

I promise you that if RP makes it to the general, stuff like this video will ONLY help him.

- Kit

JMO
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I think this thread is sad. I don't like Rap but you can tell the bias of the person who started this thread by calling it "Gangster Rap". There is absolutely nothing wrong with this video or song, it targets people who enjoy this music, if you don't enjoy this music then listen to the music you like, but we are fighting for freedom,the ability to enjoy your life as long as it doesn't infringe on others, we are not fighting to censor things we dislike.

I salute the rappers, and any Muscians regardless of their style of music for promoting a candidate that is trying to restore freedom to America.

Sey.Naci
12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
first off, let me say that i like the song.
but like i stated earlier, i direct many many older professionals (mostly doctors) to the official site who will turn off rap music in any shape or form. This is the reality. I am quite certain that the message the rap song impart is quite powerful but if they are not willing to listen to it because its in the wrong form of music, all that message is lost.And you are assuming this just because they are older than you?

In an earlier post you'd said you were in your 30s. Well, here was my earlier post, in case you missed it:

I wonder how many other people over 40 on this board are not at all offended by this well-crafted video. My hat goes off to our younger generation's creativity.

As for the campaign including this video on its website, I think it's a brilliant move. It gives the message that the campaign is different, fresh, youthful, and runs counter to business as usual and the old way of doing things (MSM, corporatocracy, big government, lobbyists...) It has been recognized that the Ron Paul Revolution is largely (not exclusively) being led by people under 30. This encourages me.

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Wayne Hammond wants to live in a country where gangsta rap...or in his mind...all hip hop...should never be associated with politics. Why did rap start again?... did it not explode into the mainstream when it became a social commentary? Don't those forms of rap exist today?

Pure fucking canard and total bullshit. Rap exploded onto the scene in conjunction with crack cocaine. Rap is associated with politics. In that it has led many a young black person to jail with a criminal record and unable to vote ever again. Great way to let the voter rolls self expunge themselves..from a political point of view. Give them a uniform and attitude problem and inject hard drugs, cash and cops into the mix and you have a perfect storm. Book em Danno and they never vote again.

The reptetive beat structures and lack of muscal ornamentation drive me nuts, I cannot listen to this crap for more than eight bars without wanting to kill the track.

Randy

AgentPaul001
12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Lyrics seem appropriate. That said I think it'd be more appropriate in some sort of college kids section.

DrRich
12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
And you are assuming this just because they are older than you?

In an earlier post you'd said you were in your 30s. Well, here was my earlier post, in case you missed it:

I wonder how many other people over 40 on this board are not at all offended by this well-crafted video. My hat goes off to our younger generation's creativity.

As for the campaign including this video on its website, I think it's a brilliant move. It gives the message that the campaign is different, fresh, youthful, and runs counter to business as usual and the old way of doing things (MSM, corporatocracy, big government, lobbyists...) It has been recognized that the Ron Paul Revolution is largely (not exclusively) being led by people under 30. This encourages me.

I grew up listening to Run DMC, Dr. Dre and other earlier rappers.

the professionals i try to convince to join the revolution are people who happens to be older, are mostly white, conservative, and southern baptists who will turn off rap music at a first beat. (no matter the message).
thats the reality of the people that i deal with. sorry.

hard@work
12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Pure fucking canard and total bullshit. Rap exploded onto the scene in conjunction with crack cocaine. Rap is associated with politics. In that it has led many a young black person to jail with a criminal record and unable to vote ever again. Great way to let the voter rolls self expunge themselves..from a political point of view. Give them a uniform and attitude problem and inject hard drugs, cash and cops into the mix and you have a perfect storm. Book em Danno and they never vote again.

The reptetive beat structures and lack of muscal ornamentation drive me nuts, I cannot listen to this crap for more than eight bars without wanting to kill the track.

Randy

The only bullshit here is yours Randy. Whether or not you "like" music has no bearing on whether or not that music has a right to exist. Rap never led anyone to jail, they led themselves to jail. And those who would use music of any form to create social deviance of the criminal nature can only be promoted by choice. Some individuals with the power to spread negative messages choose to do so while drowning out those who create positive messages.

Rap is not responsible for crack cocaine or poverty. Poetry is not responsible for death or murder. People choose their paths and their expression. That's just the way it is no matter how you try to spin it.

Brian4Liberty
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Wayne, you could probably find plenty of things "offensive" in other candidates campaigns. (Like their positions!).

As for featuring music videos on the "official" campaign website...probably not the best use of that space. As Ron Paul says, "Liberty unites people". On the other hand, "music" can divide people. Ever see a room clear when an "unpopular" genre of music gets put on? Some people's music is other people's noise...

mkpdavies
12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
What a crap thread. This isn't gangta rap, it is political rap.

There is no putting chrome to the domes.
No bitches and ho's.
No packing a nine or murda.
No cussing.
No violence.

NOTHING.

Dear me, if this is all you have to moan about, then the site must be doing extremely well.

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Stop judging it because it's "rap". Listen to the lyrics. After all, lyrics are what make a song. The style the song is played has nothing to do with how it should be perceived.

heh.. Case in point. "Sympathy for The Devil" with Mick Jagger singing and The Stones playing. Now.. Debbie Gibson with disco backup singers and a drum machine and padded chord structures doing the same song. Not the same song at all but something only worthy of the most utter contempt.

HTH
Randy.

RPinSEAZ
12-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Why does everybody get their panties all in a bunch about every little thing that "may" turn off older conservatives. This is hardly the most controversial thing about Dr Paul to these types of voters so your concerns are misplaced IMO.

Jesse (thinks Dr Paul's statement that he will end the war on drugs is much more controversial, yet he does not shy away from it)

smartguy911
12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
they need to remove that video ASAP from the main website. I listen to hip hop but man i don't want to see a link on the main site for it. Kinda makes people wonder if they are only targeting young people. We need to look serious to middle-aged folks.

hard@work
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Great way to let the voter rolls self expunge themselves..from a political point of view.

Actually Randy I apologize partially (emphasis on partially), that is a really good point. And something also worthy of research.

progrock
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM

maybe it's this kind of association that younger generations needs, to show them than we don't need filthy language to make good rap music.
Personally i find this video very well thought out and heartfelt.
the guy that made this, made it out of passion, not hatred which is what differentiates it from foul mouthed gansta rap.

He gets his point across and does a really good rap i enjoyed it and hope he comes up with more of this kind of material. just my 2 cents

inibo
12-27-2007, 01:37 PM
We....are...doomed!

:D

I'm actually not much of a rap fan--at least not since Grand Master Flash--but I actually kind of like that video.

Malakai0
12-27-2007, 01:39 PM

For real. This isn't the only issue some fans are stereotyping on.

We need to quit trash talking people suspicious about 9/11. Dropping the poor term 'truther' from these forums would please me much. I hate when we split our own base.

FIGHT THE COLLECTIVISM that has been ingrained into your mind since day 1 of school!

progrock
12-27-2007, 01:50 PM
On another note i want to make the point that this is just another fine example of what freedom brings.
Diversity, personal choice and personal censorship.
Meaning you may find the video offensive while another may find it great, however no one makes you click the link and watch the video all the way through.
Which leads me to my final point. with freedom come personal responsibilities.
To worry that it may turn off the older crowd is injecting your personal censorship, not that your opinion don't matter by any means.
But we all have to be adults and find what is good for ourselves to be exposed to us as well as our children.
however i don't think it's ok to use our opinions to persuade or dissuade others to or from content.
This is what the federal government has hardwired into our brains for so long, that we need to re circuit our brains so we can fully enjoy what freedom was supposed to mean.

maybe i'm misinformed or off track, you decide :) happy new year all

r3volution
12-27-2007, 01:51 PM
end of the world ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isTi-V5R7fw

OReich
12-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Ok, I think this video is great. The only real problem is the "little soldier" comment, but I think that's only because you guys are misinterpreting it; it's referring to how the U.S. Government is valuing them and treating them, thus trying to encourage them to step up and join our cause.

As far as its association with "gangster rap," I don't know what to tell you. There's very little rap I actually enjoy, but I know from my friends playing it too loud that most of it doesn't involve gangs, or demeaning women, or violence; but that somehow all rap is "gangster rap" whenever its summarized by people who aren't really part of our generation. "Gangster rap" is as representative of hip hop as "Death metal" is representative of RUSH.

That being said, I just saw an image taken straight out of a Mises Institute video in a music video. It takes my grammy...

NewEnd
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
This is fucking stupid.... well, Wayne Hammond's stereotyping of music. I guess he doesn't like the Solomon Kings song either?

Nothing wrong with the video.

Quantumystic
12-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Whoa there.

What happened to Freedom of Speech? Or is this one of those "Not in MY backyard" deals? Remember that monologue from The American President:

"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say 'You want free speech?' Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then, you can stand up and sing about the 'land of the free'."

THAT is what The Doctor stands for.

I can understand that you personally take exception to the "little soldiers". My family has been military since WWI. But remember this... while our military has fought for Freedom, the kids are the ones being asked to PAY for it. You may not like the way they do it, but they have the right to express their perspectives as well. And they are the future... if we're going to have one.

hambone1982
12-27-2007, 02:04 PM

Randy

Rap doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Don't blame the music, don't blame the guns, don't blame the video games.

NewEnd
12-27-2007, 02:05 PM
in da immorta words of the Kanye

WAYNE HAMMOND DOESNT CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE

Wayne Hammond is 1/4 black. He also thinks MLK was an evil man... and hates rap music.

rooteroa
12-27-2007, 02:07 PM

Randy

[Edited h@w] Are you one of the white nationalists that seem to like Dr. Paul?

Quantumystic
12-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey!
Wayne's been here as long as I can remember. Don't start with THAT kind of crap. He just has his own perspective, as do we all.

Eponym_mi
12-27-2007, 02:08 PM
AM I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED that they use the term "Little Soldier" in this video.

I'm 45 and a vet. I didn't find it offensive. Should it be on the front page? Maybe not. But I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

BigMatt419
12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
anyone have a link to the rap itself?

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I thought the song was pretty lame, but I hardly think it'll matter in the long run.

Wwillywoo
12-27-2007, 02:14 PM

Randy

Pure Fucking canard and total bullshit. Rock n Roll exploded onto the scene in conjunction with marijuana. Rock n Roll is associated with politics. In that it has lead many a young person to jail with criminal records for civil disobedience and marijuana use and unable to ever vote again. Great way to let the voter rolls expunge themselves from a political point of view. ....

Anyway you get the message. There is nothing original here. Move along.

Eponym_mi
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
anyone have a link to the rap itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVrszyW9dPE

Yom
12-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Somebody close this thread. The discussion is not constructive.

BigMatt419
12-27-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVrszyW9dPE

What the heck is wrong with it? Really good.

RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2008!

gb13
12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
The message of the song is good. What's wrong with it?

I didn't hear them calling anyone else a "n!gga" or a "bitch", or anything else offensive, for that matter. I really don't see the problem.

Electric Church
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Since it’s the young folks that are the major spark and driving force in this revolution, and since they have been left with an insurmountable debt thanks to the opulence and careless over indulgences of an older generation that hates rap, if a few old gasbags can’t handle a little clean rap then I suggest that they take that piece of worthless currency that they’ve help to create, buy some Viagra and wash it down with that old bottle of Geritol and use the little time they have left to try and please that special someone in their lives instead of whinin about clean rap music.

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Rap doesn't kill people, people kill people.

Don't blame the music, don't blame the guns, don't blame the video games.

How you consiider this a rebuttal to what i wrote is beyond me. Seems to me you just injected a whole lot of your personal prejudices and tried to saddle my shoulders with them. Homey don't play that. Beyond that it is pure simplistics which carry no to little weight in an intellectual discussion. It makes the absurd claim that people are not affected by that in which they spend considerable time engaged in.

HTH
Randy

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Somebody close this thread. The discussion is not constructive.

Yer new around here..obviously. We are not afraid of discussion.

HTH
Randy

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
What an idiot. Are you one of the white nationalists that seem to like Dr. Paul?

No. I am a hard rock guitarist with 30 years production, engineering and stage experience. Guess that makes you the idiot if yer just tossing titles about for the hell of it.

Next fucking canard asshat. You fail miserably with this gambit..

Randy

Revolution9
12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Pure Fucking canard and total bullshit. Rock n Roll exploded onto the scene in conjunction with marijuana. Rock n Roll is associated with politics. In that it has lead many a young person to jail with criminal records for civil disobedience and marijuana use and unable to ever vote again. Great way to let the voter rolls expunge themselves from a political point of view. ....

Anyway you get the message. There is nothing original here. Move along.

The difference is if a pothead has twenty bucks he will buy a dime and then some food. If a crackhead has twenty buck he will buy a rock and then another rock and then bust a head to get more money for another rock and forget about his body and its needs to satisfy craving that a lobotomy will not stop. That is why basta, or coca base paste was introduced. The addiction is monstrous.

Would you rather live next door to a pothead or a crackhead? Case closed.

HTH
Rand

bgky4paul
12-27-2007, 02:50 PM
36-year-old white lady checking in to say I rather enjoyed this video. Rap music is so much more that just bitches 'n ho's, Wayne Hammond. This type of expression speaks to a very large segment of society, the same ones who spend a lot of time surfing the Internet. I kind of doubt that the people you fear will be offended by this would be likely to click on a music video link in the first place. I say big ups to the campaign for having the courage to feature this video.

JoBurke
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Unreal - unite! not divide! :mad:

Rappers for Paul - so what? I think it is great

LibertiORDeth
12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I cant find the vid. Could you link it?

videogeek
12-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm not much of a hip hop fan (personally I think techno has more to offer), but come on... the campaign is all about the grassroots, all about openness, all about the wide variety of people who have been touched by the message Ron Paul gives voice to. Face up to it, we are a diverse alignment of people - old and young, conservative and liberal, traditional and non-traditional, gay and straight, christian, muslim, hindu, atheist, etc. If anyone is so turned off by that video because of some negative image of hip hop they have floating around in their heads, then so be it. They don't get what America (or Ron Paul) is all about anyway. Besides, if they haven't been turned off by the hookers, pot smokers, white nationalists, hippies, ravers, bikers, and 9/11 truthers, then a harmless hip hop video surely won't either.

constituent
12-27-2007, 03:04 PM
No. I am a hard rock guitarist with 30 years production, engineering and stage experience. Guess that makes you the idiot if yer just tossing titles about for the hell of it.

Randy

we disagree on this topic... but god damnit randy, you're fun to have around!

take it easy, and have a good one man!

mad212
12-27-2007, 03:20 PM
there is nothing wrong with the song or video. Not offensive anyways :)

rooteroa
12-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Randy

Is canard your word of the day or something? What an idiot.

mtmedlin
12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
dont take it personally...

REVO 9 DOESNT CARE FOR ANY PERSON.

its true, he hates us all, but equally! :D

itsnobody
12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
It's been pulled off people

You can stop bitching now

Teenforpaul08
12-27-2007, 03:25 PM
The point of idividual freedom is doing what you want. This just proves how diverse the people RP has reached.

jonahtrainer
12-27-2007, 03:37 PM

Wouldn't that prove the point?

jonahtrainer
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM

Maybe I'm just too old for all this politics stuff. Who knows. I'll be out of this world in a few years, long before you all see the final effects of all this stuff. If I had any sense, I'd just shut up and let it all hit the fan.

I was just expressing my opinion as a conservative, older American. Guess that's too much for many here to handle.

I'm done replying in this thread, so it's all yours. :)

After seeing the terrible mess the 'older, conservative generation' has made with such a wonderful Constitution I'm not sure their opinion is deserving of much, if any, respect. It seems everything the 'Boomer' generation touches turns into a big pile of crap. They have taken one of the greatest and wealthiest nations on earth and bankrupted it morally and economically turning it into an invasive police state that is extremely oppressive of freedom.

I can't think of anything more devious, sinister and irresponsible. If the standard for our conduct is the Golden Rule of Jesus Christ then the Boomer generation has shown through their political choices that they are followers of Satan. Ah, the Tyranny of Good Intentions.

BeFranklin
12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I think they should have had a music selection video contest, and a reason to put it on the front page. This is too much like the webmaster for the blimp site, who just apparently decided himself some of the things to put up - ie "the launch of the mothership", etc.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Where is the video??? I don't see it.

This sounds like some old guy in the 1950s telling us how Elvis music was the "work of Satan."

Now Elvis is on US postage stamps. :rolleyes:

Aballistar
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
sarcasm

Oh noes, black people music :(

/sarcasm

Laja
12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Could you guys please leave the old guy alone? He has a right not to like the music and he has a right to call the campaign and tell them he thinks it's inappropriate. If you don't agree, then say so nicely. Firing back at him, even if he's saying things you don't agree with, is childish and a total waste of time.

All of this energy could have gone into figuring out creative new ways to promote Ron Paul or going door-to-door, or writing letters to people in Iowa and NH. Please stop getting so offended by cranky old folks. They need your compassion, not your anger.

ctb619
12-27-2007, 04:57 PM
For anyone in the military, the term "little soldier" is very derogatory and demeaning.

I'm a soldier and it didn't bother me at all.

Anthony T
12-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I loved the video.

dircha
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
There's no slam against our troops.

The lyrics are strongly pro-liberty, pro-Constitution, and pro-America.

Rap is mainstream. To suggest that a "gangster rap" song is offensive on its face is a testament to the racist sentiments still held by many Americans.

If some of these people had their way, Congressman Paul's campaign would have to limit themselves to old Lawrence Welk recordings.

“On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock.”

That was Thomas Jefferson.

Man from La Mancha
12-27-2007, 05:19 PM
As far as the little solider thing, not to demean the troops buts thats just whats most of them have been in most wars, pawns.. they go in with all the right ideas and bravery but sadly their parents and the county have let them all down by not stopping the mad men sending them to die. It's unconstitutional yet the jerks will send their children to die without even researching it or reading the constitution. How they ever get recruits today is beyond me? All the experimental vaccines and the DU radiation weapons, would stop me in a second from sighing up. I would never sign a paper giving anybody medical rights over my body

As far as good rap and bad, look who owns the companies that promote the gansta rap and one will know why.

I don't like rap but this was good for the words and video.

Wwillywoo
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
The difference is if a pothead has twenty bucks he will buy a dime and then some food. If a crackhead has twenty buck he will buy a rock and then another rock and then bust a head to get more money for another rock and forget about his body and its needs to satisfy craving that a lobotomy will not stop. That is why basta, or coca base paste was introduced. The addiction is monstrous.

Would you rather live next door to a pothead or a crackhead? Case closed.

HTH
Rand

My point is that the music has nothing to do with the drugs and drug addiction. People do not get addicted to drugs based on what music they listen to.

I have no evidence, but I would guess that most crackheads don't regulary listen to music of any kind.

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 05:31 PM
I thought this thread would die! I'm a die hard Hip-Hop fan and think this song is by far not the best song out... Ron Paul for the Long Haul was waaaaaaaaay better but the creater decided to flip-flop his support...

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Could you guys please leave the old guy alone? He has a right not to like the music and he has a right to call the campaign and tell them he thinks it's inappropriate. If you don't agree, then say so nicely. Firing back at him, even if he's saying things you don't agree with, is childish and a total waste of time.

All of this energy could have gone into figuring out creative new ways to promote Ron Paul or going door-to-door, or writing letters to people in Iowa and NH. Please stop getting so offended by cranky old folks. They need your compassion, not your anger.

Cool... Someone took my stand... You should see my earlier posts!

xexkxex
12-27-2007, 05:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/xexkxex/2217337.gif

Wwillywoo
12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
I do enjoy the different opinions on this forum. At least most of you people make the attempt think for yourselves ...

and that is all I have to say about that.

pikerz
12-27-2007, 05:35 PM
as much as i like the video i felt a little uneasy seeing it on the campaign webpage.

PatriotOne
12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm 42 and rather liked it myself. I'm not a fan of most rap either but I find it rather comforting to see so many diverse individuals grasp the meaning of RP's message. We are more alike than not when it gets right down to it. I would hope that is what people get out of this video more than anything.

Mattsa
12-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Cool... Someone took my stand... You should see my earlier posts!

I think the arguement whether this song is suitable or not is ridiculous and Ron Paul would be ashamed that anyone would try to criticise it.

Free speech means saying what you like and making whatever type of music u like as long as you aren't harming other people.

So can we close this silly thread now please. there are much more pressing issues to deal with

leipo
12-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I love Hip Hop and thought it was decent.

CaptBookbag
12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
oh my god hahah thats not gangsta rap. wasn't bad either, and certainly not offensive.

FYI - THIS is gangsta rap: http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1ClvX1uRMY

if you're in your 20s, then you'll appreciate that no matter what you listen to.

xexkxex
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
oh my god hahah thats not gangsta rap. wasn't bad either, and certainly not offensive.

FYI - THIS is gangsta rap: http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1ClvX1uRMY

if you're in your 20s, then you'll appreciate that no matter what you listen to.

no no no my freind....THIS is gangsta rap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJuglqChhk

;):D hehehe

bcmiller
12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
loved it

CaptBookbag
12-27-2007, 05:48 PM

rofl-copter. nooo thats more 'crunk' or 'dirty south' than gangsta. still i laughed my ass off because i've never seen that.

OptionsTrader
12-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Why does the original poster need to call this song "ganster rap"?

The OP needs to get out more...

MN Patriot
12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I am a middle aged American (as much as I hate to admit it, trying to grow gracefully). So here is my opinion:

My first impression was "just another punk smearing Ron", but then I soon realized it was actually FOR Ron. I couldn't understand some of the lyrics (speak slower sonny boy, eh?), but for the most part it didn't seem offensive at all.

And I detest rap music. I tried listening to some of it, maybe 1% of rap has some talent and originality, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

If the younger crowd likes it, and is persuaded to learn more about Ron Paul, good.

CaptBookbag
Why does the original poster need to call this song "ganster rap"?

The OP needs to get out more...

i'm waiting for somebody to photo-shop some gold teeth and a 40 oz into a picture of Ron Paul.

ExpatinArgentina
Yep, have to agree. This would have been better just left to the internet to spread and better left off of his sight.

constituent
12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
rofl-copter. nooo thats more 'crunk' or 'dirty south' than gangsta. still i laughed my ass off because i've never seen that.

i've been trying to figure out just when it was that 'crunk' went from slang
to a type of music.... can someone fill me in on which artists' music is labeled
as 'crunk' and explain to me if it's an actual label that people use to describe
music (i don't hear it called that, but then again, i live in the 'dirty south' ... yt
to be exact... we're sometimes a little behind), or if that is just one of those 'old people'
misinterpretations of youthful vernacular?

::aging faster than i care to admit::

leipo
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Ron Paul for the Long Haul was waaaaaaaaay better but the creater decided to flip-flop his support...

I didn't really like that one but i'm curious to which candidate he switched. Do you know?

Soccrmastr
12-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Wayne Hammond You Are Totally Inappropriate For This Forum Gtfo Nao

RonPaulCult
12-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry I don't have time to read 20 pages of this so forgive me if it has been mentioned but

it's not gangster rap. The original isn't even gangster rap. Give me a break

RonPaulwillWin
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM
All hip hop is ganster rap now? LOL at some of you people

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I didn't really like that one but i'm curious to which candidate he switched. Do you know?

From what I read on his msyspace back in the day when that video came out, he went back to being apethetic... Kinda sad... That's why I "Don't smoke killa herb, smoker killa herb, smoke killa herb..." anymore :D

literatim
12-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Why are you whining about it on the forums?

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/contact/

AdoubleR
12-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Man... Again!!! :@ ... LOL...

stalcottsmith
12-27-2007, 07:22 PM

I could not find any reference to the "little soldier" slur-usage in a couple pages of google results. It is quite possible the author/composer/performer of this rap does not have the same association with this phrase as you.

I am 34, and while I appreciate this style of music and I saved this video in my favorites, I do not think it is appropriate to link to the front page of the official campaign website. However, I think a prominent link from the front page to a page of Ron Paul music videos would be good.

The use of the diminutive in the line, "look at yourself, little soldier, it's as plain as day, our freedom circles the drain, on it's way out..." is not clearly intended to cause offense. Note I said "not clearly" instead of "clearly not." I think "little soldier" may apply to us all and he is admonishing us to reflect and gain perspective on what's happening.

BrettCates
12-27-2007, 08:20 PM
This is a revolution. "Gangsters" are really the elite pulling the strings. You may not like hip hop but we're trying to raise a big tent here. Chill bro.....

Prez4TheNet
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Sounds to me like the OP is one of those people who we don't want to be associated with the campaign in any way

rasheedwallace
12-27-2007, 08:45 PM
lmao @ your stereotypes. no one can tell your white! :rolleyes:

do i think its a great idea? no.

but calm down. unless they actually say bitches and hoes your being a pussy for this.

Dieseler
12-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I Dieseler endorse this Rap ad for Dr. Paul's campaign.
Even though I don't listen to rap.
I LIKE IT! :):):):):):)

rasheedwallace
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
and a double LMAO @ calling this gangster rap!!

hahaha *dies*

OReich
12-27-2007, 08:50 PM
unless they actually say bitches and hoes your being a pussy for this.

O my, that is a funny sentence.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I think it is a good video...

Pete Kay
12-27-2007, 09:05 PM
This thread is ridiculous. How can a Ron Paul supporter be against free speech and a diversity of ideas? This hatred of this song boils down to nothing more than blatant ignorance and a sickening bias against a complete genre of music.

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-27-2007, 09:14 PM
nt

Compulsive1
12-27-2007, 09:36 PM

There is nothing wrong with hip-hop as a style of music. Your objections closely mirror the stands "middle-aged or older Americans" took when Elvis first burst on the scene in the 50's. His music and his delivery was considered vulgar and representative of the inferior culture. I bet you would be OK with a song in style of Jail House Rock.

"Nothing new under the sun."
"Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it."

dircha
12-27-2007, 09:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with hip-hop as a style of music. Your objections closely mirror the stands "middle-aged or older Americans" took when Elvis first burst on the scene in the 50's. His music and his delivery was considered vulgar and representative of the inferior culture. I bet you would be OK with a song in style of Jail House Rock.

"Nothing new under the sun."
"Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it."

Not if there's hip shaking involved! Why, that could bring about the total breakdown of Western civilization!

Prez4TheNet
12-27-2007, 09:43 PM
To the OP, maybe you should stick to the stormfront forums to post your nonsense

1town
12-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Wow. Gangster Rap?

The ignorance of people never seize to amaze me...

Ara825
12-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Okay, I'm a baby boomer and I find nothing offensive about it. In fact, when I saw it earlier today I decided to show it to my grandson. He will be 18 in a few weeks and thus old enough to vote. He loved it and wanted to see more Ron Paul videos.

c0unterph0bia
12-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Every wonder why people think Ron Pauls supporters are racists?

nc4rp
12-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Please re-search the history of Hip-Hop, before it was hi-jacked by commercialization

As for calling the soldiers little? They are little... Little brains not heart that is...

You are being offensive. The soldiers are serving god and country with honor, its not their fault the military is misguided at the top.

And as far as hip hop he was making an opinion, and you should respect it, be a good example for Ron Paul. cmon

justatrey
12-27-2007, 10:46 PM
I disagree that rap music is necessarily "trash music", however, I do agree with OP that this is a strategically stupid move for the official campaign to make.

Consider what the average American, or even worse the average Republican, might think about rap music. Forget your own open-mindedness and lack of stereotypes for a minute. At the very least it is considered immature and unprofessional, and this is not a good image to be presenting of our man. We all know what the other stereotypes are so I won't bother listing them.

Many of us do not understand just how extreme some people's beliefs in stereotypes are. My dad is a perfect example. I actually managed to convert my dad from a Huckabee supporter, but you might never guess why.

****HE LOST INTEREST IN HUCKABEE WHEN HE FOUND OUT HE WAS IN A ROCK BAND!****

My dad is 60 years old, a long-time conservate Republican, and a devout Christian. To many voters like my dad, rock = drugs, sex, tatoos, piercings, immorality, etc. After losing interest in Huckabee, I introduced him to Paul and he was attracted to him because he is Christian, conservative, pro-life, honest, etc.

My dad's thinking is extremely stereotypical and certainly not open-minded, but it is reality. Us younger voters need to keep this all in perspective. We're trying to nominate a Republican here.

If they want the traditional, conservative, older long-time voters (who actually show up on election day) to vote, I just don't understand the strategy of using rap videos. If my dad (or anyone else who thinks like he does) runs into it, we've just lost a vote.

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Great song. I hope they keep it up and ignore any hate messages they get on it.

Hate messages? What Wayne said is the truth.

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
By the way, your second point is nitpicking. In every Ron Paul song, I can find something that someone may find objectionable.

Insulting our military is not a wise move. That is, if you care about winning the Republican nomination.

voiceactivated
12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Mr. Hammond - I agree with you 100%, and have contacted the Ron Paul HQ with my 2 cents worth of objections. The video is entirely unpresidential. There are dozens of inspirational videos out there that would have been better choices.

And for you bloggers under the age of 25, may I suggest that displaying good manners and using civil language are not signs of low self esteem? In fact, those are qualities that elevate human beings.

Man from La Mancha
12-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Mr. Hammond - I agree with you 100%, and have contacted the Ron Paul HQ with my 2 cents worth of objections. The video is entirely unpresidential. There are dozens of inspirational videos out there that would have been better choices.

And for you bloggers under the age of 25, may I suggest that displaying good manners and using civil language are not signs of low self esteem? In fact, those are qualities that elevate human beings.LOL, garbage mouths applies for all ages. I can't stand RAP,Country, or Metal but to each their own. And I'm glad they enjoy it, so it is good to appeal to a wide range, but with style.:)

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
As for calling the soldiers little? They are little... Little brains not heart that is... I had this conversation with a bunch of off duty soldiers in a Dubai night-club... I told them that they were mercenaries working for a paycheck without realising it... When Ron Paul is in office, the integrity of the armed forces will be put back into shape... Until then, they are just bodyguards/henchmen/strongmen for a bunch coward neo-cons...

Well, let me say that I am glad you are not working in PR for the campaign. Because you would have driven off a large contingent of traditional conservatives by your statements above.

Insulting our military is not the wisest move on your part. (I am trying to be nice here).

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:19 PM
The arguments put forth by the OP smack of the same 'guilt by association' that we get from a neo-nazi donation.

What in heck are you talking about? :eek::rolleyes:

Are you denying they talk about "little soldiers" in the video?

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Racist? Based on what? Please don't come on here throwing that term around lightly, mtmedlin! Please backup your claim, or apologize.

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Wow.. if I were Wayne Hammond I would probably be crying in a corner right now.

The people on this forum seem to have become much like a lynch mob. They are definitely exhibiting pile on behavior. It is rude and it is disgusting! :mad:

dircha
12-27-2007, 11:28 PM
OK. Gangster rap is out. I don't like rap.

But I do like ABBA! Can we still have ABBA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2srnz-sgGU&feature=related

Take a Chance on Ron Paul! :D

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
well i say then we dont need your support my goodness chill is there not anything else you can be worried about go hold a sign go help the soup kitchen but if this really bothers you that much I dont think you really understand the freedom message,. My goodness I still can be shocked about what some will bitch about in here when we have bigger issues.

Speak for yourself, Melissa. Wayne is a valued member of this forum. You may not realize it, but the campaign promoting a video that insults our military, will drive away older conservatives. That may sound stupid, but it is true. Hopefully, they won't see it, but if they do, they will question why Ron Paul has it on his website.

DeadtoSin
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
This wins the "retarded thread of the year" award. Seriously topic creator, why would you..?

*grumbles and walks away*

robert4rp08
12-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Speak for yourself, Melissa. Wayne is a valued member of this forum. You may not realize it, but the campaign promoting a video that insults our military, will drive away older conservatives. That may sound stupid, but it is true. Hopefully, they won't see it, but if they do, they will question why Ron Paul has it on his website.

Been over this.... the "little soldiers" line is not used in the Vietnam-era way. It's all in context; try listening to the lyrics.

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Nope Wayne, not everyone, but I do live by the simple rule. If someone stereotypes on a forum and it appears racist, and then several others agree, it seems a fair assumption. For your sake, I will assume that you are not a racist but just amazingly careless with your words.

So, mtmedlin, you basically believe in mob rule, eh? If a lot of people agree that it's ok to do something, then heck, it's ok to do it.

Then, you make the magnanimous statement that you will exempt Wayne from your ridiculous claim. How very big of you. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should stop throwing insults around so lightly, mtmedlin. It makes you appear rather ridiculous.

LibertyEagle
12-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Been over this.... the "little soldiers" line is not used in the Vietnam-era way. It's all in context; try listening to the lyrics.

I did.

Look, this sounds like it is more of a generational thing. But Wayne is right that in the Vietnam era, calling a soldier, "little soldier", was an insult. Maybe these guys didn't know that. I don't know.

Wayne Hammond
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
After I write this post, I will ask the forum admins to move this thread (and the other one about my leaving the forums) to the Hot Topics sub forum, so that folks can focus on more important campaign issues here in Grassroots Central.

I appreciate the support, but I do think it is wisest for me to move on to other avenues of supporting Dr. Paul that do not make me so upset. (maybe it's just my personality - in any case it ain't good for the old "ticker" for me to get upset about it).

Thanks and see you at the polls! :)

Wayne Hammond

Lord Xar
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
having a rap song on the front page of a presidential website is plain stupid.. just as it would to have a speed metal song. IF you think its cool, great - but thinking something is cool, in most cases, does not make for a good business decisions.

Also, MOST people are not gonna sit thru the WHOLE video deciphering the lyrics to see what the point is. They will look, think to themselves "wow, this is sorta unprofessional"... and get a negative impression. Even if a young person "likes" it - so what? You can get ALL voters without alienating others... to me, another foobar by the campaign. I mean, if they want to appear "urban" then get that one woman of color who is very well spoken and have her in a commercial. I mean c'mon.

aksmith
12-27-2007, 11:59 PM

Sorry to see the music video offended you. In fact, rap music is the worst kind of garbage I've ever heard. My kids listen to it, but it makes me want to throw up so I never watched the video or listened to the song. I suggest we're of a certain age, and rap music doesn't exactly reach across the divide. I'll take Steely Dan or the Dobbie Brothers or even Green Day and the Foo Fighters, but I'm 52 years old and the only thing I can say about rap is that someone must have removed the "c" from the beginning of the word. And if anyone is offended by my words, forgive me, I'm old. A.K.

MayTheRonBeWithYou
12-28-2007, 12:08 AM
HOLY....

This video OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Eric23
12-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I like said video.

Wayne Hammond
12-28-2007, 12:12 AM
Admins - as the OP, I ask that you honor my official request to move this to a more appropriate sub-forum. I have used the icon to report the thread.

thanks.

LibertyEagle
12-28-2007, 12:14 AM
having a rap song on the front page of a presidential website is plain stupid.. just as it would to have a speed metal song. IF you think its cool, great - but thinking something is cool, in most cases, does not make for a good business decisions.

Also, MOST people are not gonna sit thru the WHOLE video deciphering the lyrics to see what the point is. They will look, think to themselves "wow, this is sorta unprofessional"... and get a negative impression. Even if a young person "likes" it - so what? You can get ALL voters without alienating others... to me, another foobar by the campaign. I mean, if they want to appear "urban" then get that one woman of color who is very well spoken and have her in a commercial. I mean c'mon.

QFT

SeanEdwards
12-28-2007, 12:22 AM
I like the video and think the OP was overreacting. Is anyone really going to reject Paul because of a music video made by fans? Seems unlikely to me.

Also, that video and song had nothing "gangster" about it.

usmcZ
12-28-2007, 12:36 AM
I am a "soldier" (a Marine if you ask me, but I don't get upset when people refer to us as soldiers), and I am in no way "offended" by "little soldiers". That is just getting insanely picky, you need to take it down a notch and just enjoy being in the company of a bunch of fellow Americans who support the same candidate as you, and are all looking for their own creative outlets to show said support.

usmcZ
12-28-2007, 12:37 AM
QFT

QFTx2 from a campaign standpoint.

jorlowitz
12-28-2007, 07:32 AM
We put the rEVOLution to a beat

look i understand
that there's a certain deep frustration
but rap is not the problem
it's a problem with this nation

and sometimes it just helps
to try and spit rhymes, to stop crimes
to stop the government from taking
our dimes

which was the point.

and if you fear this video
it's ok
you can go

but you should know
that on the street
we take the sizzle with the heat
drop a slimjim at the front door when we greet

it's easy.

cause we attack mass apathy
with KNOWLEDGE
draggin kids to iowa from
college, where they sleep
give 'em breakfast bars and campaign cars
and stacks of Tax-free Tips Acts by the heap

so if you've said your piece, just listen son
like Madison
you don't understand the gravest state
it's not enough to whine and be contramind

that won't help Ron Paul in 08.

Mark Rushmore
12-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Go to bed to this thread.. wake up to this thread...

die thread die!

avix123
12-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Great song. Diversity is the secret here, we can't always have corny music behind everything we see RP related to. OP is way too sensitive, another example of America, land of the offended.