PDA

View Full Version : The RP Open Primary Effect on Democrat Race

voisine
12-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Wow, so many things keep falling into place. Blitzer just pointed out something I hadn't even thought of. In the open primary states, RP will be drawing the independent vote away from whoever the Democrat is that is most attractive to independents. This could potentially tilt the Democrat nomination toward a more liberal candidate. (Hillary instead of Obama) This will be a great help in the general election since the independents decide the outcome.

The early states all have caucuses or open primaries, hugely benefiting RP. The most populace state in the union which also happens to have relatively few Republican voters switched to 3 delegates to the winner of each congressional district from winner take all. Another windfall for RP. This is the first GOP race in decades without a clear front runner to crush the protest vote. This is the perfect storm.

ChristopherBearkat
12-26-2007, 08:53 PM
If Ron Paul wins, it also takes the war issue off the table. That would be a big boon for the Republicans is Congress who are going to get their butts handed to them AGAIN if they keep this stuff up

the_oco
12-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Just imagine RP vs hillary, suddenly a republican becomes the antiwar candidate, and the Neocons will have to throw their full support behind Hillary since she won't bring anybody home till 2012.

Though, I'm starting to see a brokered convention with Ron Paul having the upper hand in sight. I think this is why Ron is so careful to leave himself wiggle room with his Independent run status. Ron will be able to say, well you could not give me the nomination and I will run 3rd party thus dooming the GOP to loose to Hillary where you will get nothing for the next 4 years, or you can give me the nomination and be happy with the fact that I'm a republican and share many of the same core conservative beliefs as you. However, the GOP will try to make back room deals with Paul like saying they will support him IF he drops his anti war platform.

This is all getting very very interesting. I feel bad for the people that outright ignore Paul, as they are missing a hell of a show.

Neo189
12-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Just imagine RP vs hillary, suddenly a republican becomes the antiwar candidate, and the Neocons will have to throw their full support behind Hillary since she won't bring anybody home till 2012.

Though, I'm starting to see a brokered convention with Ron Paul having the upper hand in sight. I think this is why Ron is so careful to leave himself wiggle room with his Independent run status. Ron will be able to say, well you could not give me the nomination and I will run 3rd party thus dooming the GOP to loose to Hillary where you will get nothing for the next 4 years, or you can give me the nomination and be happy with the fact that I'm a republican and share many of the same core conservative beliefs as you. However, the GOP will try to make back room deals with Paul like saying they will support him IF he drops his anti war platform.

This is all getting very very interesting. I feel bad for the people that outright ignore Paul, as they are missing a hell of a show.

That's a great point. I never thought of it that way! :) I think you're right though.

AggieforPaul
12-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I think Obama is more liberal than Hillary. Bill Clinton was a member of the DLC, and considered a more centrist democrat.

Triton
12-26-2007, 10:16 PM

This is all getting very very interesting. I feel bad for the people that outright ignore Paul, as they are missing a hell of a show.No, RP would not be the anti-war candidate because Hil666lary would shape shift. Not only that, she would have help from her sycophants in the MSM, and her gullible flock of sheeple would lick the soma right out of her outstretched hand.

user
12-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I've said this before but I think it'd be better for us to face Hillary than Obama in the general. A lot of people hate Hillary and the GOP base would gladly vote for RP even if they're pro-war.

So if RP's candidacy is helping Hillary beat Obama in the Democratic primaries, that may be a good thing.

ionlyknowy
12-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I have thought this for a long time... everyone keeps saying that Lou Dobbs has the same views as RP but does not openly endorse him... I think that what he is doing is actually helping RP because Lou's book and his program tell people to switch their party affiliations to Indy.

This makes the pool for potential RP voters even larger in the open primary states.

user
12-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I have thought this for a long time... everyone keeps saying that Lou Dobbs has the same views as RP but does not openly endorse him... I think that what he is doing is actually helping RP because Lou's book and his program tell people to switch their party affiliations to Indy.

This makes the pool for potential RP voters even larger in the open primary states.
I thought that hurts RP because most states have closed primaries. And Lou Dobbs is a protectionist, so he doesn't have the same views as RP.

jorlowitz
12-27-2007, 01:27 AM
Independents in New Hampshire are not automatically centrists. I'd argue there are as many far left independents as there are "Lou-Dobbs" style ones. I think it would hurt Obama more than Hillary... he's the one with the more independent spirit.

AlexMerced
12-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Independents so vote on spirit and perception of being corrupt-free which is why Obama would appeal more than hillary