PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Moves Up Six Points in Iowa

RP-Republican
12-26-2007, 03:18 PM
The latest scientific poll from American Research Group shows that Ron Paul's support in Iowa over the past four days has more than doubled from 4% to 10%. Is this the beginning of Paul's sprint to the finish line?

One of the biggest criticisms Ron Paul has received has been his apparent inability to penetrate into double digits in scientific polls. Many reasons have been given for this both for and against the Paul campaign. However, polling results just released by American Research Group Inc suggest that the scientific polls may finally be catching up to where Paul's supporters claim he has been all along.

Just four days ago, a poll ARG took Dec. 16-19 showed Dr. Paul with the support of just 4% of Iowa caucusers. Four days later, a poll taken Dec. 20-23 by this same polling organization shows him at 10%, more than twice his previous support level. The poll shows nearly all of Paul's main opponents dropping in their support, including front runner Mike Huckabee who lost five points to 23%, down from 28% four days prior. The only main opponent who rose was Mitt Romney, whose support rose four points after an 11 point drop from their prior poll. This is most likely a bounce after a fall due to the controversy regarding Romney's religious beliefs.

Even more interesting, the same poll shows that Dr. Paul's support among women in Iowa is slightly higher than men, as 11% of women are expressing their support for Paul in the poll.

The poll doesn't say what its statistical margin for error is. Similar polls typically have about a 4 point error margin. If this poll has a similar sample size, it means that Paul's support has increased by more than the margin for error, which likely indicates that it is at least partly a genuine move upward and not merely a statistical anomaly.

What is even more interesting is that ARG typically reports that about 80-90% of the support for the top candidates is not likely to change. Yet, the percentages of support for each candidate appears to be swinging dramatically. This suggests that the "strong" support may not be as strong as the pollster thinks it is.

ARG also conducted a poll on Dec. 20 in which they found that 45% of Republicans are now dissatisfied with George Bush's economic leadership, up from 25% in November. That's a dramatic increase. Given the fact that only Ron Paul is discussing economic issues directly and in detail, this could be part of the reason why his support has jumped so much in just four days.

It's dangerous to read too much into these numbers, given the volatility that the scientific polling numbers have been showing from all pollsters over the past few weeks and months. Still Paulites and the Paul campaign have to feel encouraged, not the least because with this poll Paul appears to have finally broken into double-digits. With the Iowa Caucuses just eight days away, this could be the beginning of a Paul wind sprint to the finish line in his attempt to catch the frontrunners. Not bad for a 72-year-old ob/gyn.

AlexMerced
12-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I just want Iowa to be over with, that will be the day we finally get some idea of what we're working with

hypnagogue
12-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I just want Iowa to be over with, that will be the day we finally get some idea of what we're working with I concur! I'm tired of hearing about this poll or that and wondering about their accuracy. I'm ready to get this show on the road. We do need to make sure we keep an eye on the process, though. Do our best to assure things are all above the board.

Richie
12-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Let's be realistic folks - we're not going to win Iowa. I think we'll be in the top three, but winning it will truly be a miracle. This sudden rise in the polls is encouraging, though. I wonder if it will go up any more in between now and the caucus.

Don't worry - I'll admit to being pwned if he does win Iowa.

RP-Republican
12-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking top 3, first or second if there is a major snow storm lets all hope. But if nothing else Ron Paul will get more media coverage if he polls higher.

WilliamC
12-26-2007, 03:30 PM
It's going to come down to turnout. As sad as it is to say, low turnout will help Ron Paul.

Paulitician
12-26-2007, 03:32 PM
If he gets at least 3rd I'll be happy and hopeful. Anything less than that will be the beginning of the end for the campaign.

KMA-NWO
12-26-2007, 03:49 PM
...Anything less than that will be the beginning of the end for the campaign.

I'm afraid you're right...

walt
12-26-2007, 03:52 PM
that's for the 837th thread in the wrong forum on this issue.

Ernest
Even if that is true, which I'm not sure why it should be. We The People continue on. This whole thing is really not about RP anyway.

familydog
Anything less than that will be the beginning of the end for the campaign.

Yep. It's remarkable how many people in the Super Tuesday states are wating to see how well Paul does before voting for him. If they see him doing well, they will vote for him. Sad as it is, it's not something that we can hide from.

Richie
12-26-2007, 03:54 PM
If Ron Paul does not finish in the top three in Iowa, it will not be the beginning of the end of his campaign. You guys seem to be forgetting something - there's a BUTTLOAD of Republicans running this time around. The convention has a good chance of being split. If it's split, they do a second vote and let the delegates vote their consciences (the first vote is bound to who won the district they represent). If we can fill the convention with delegates, we can win the nomination without winning a single state.

xCakex
12-26-2007, 03:56 PM
We must keep the optimism up, we know we can win!!! Show the world your strength and scare the establishment on the last day of the year! http://www.ronpaulmarch.com

Paulitician
12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
////

me3
12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I just want Iowa to be over with, that will be the day we finally get some idea of what we're working with
Hear, hear! The suspense and buildup is killing me. I hope EVERYONE on this forum is registered to vote, and actively registering other Ron Paul supporters. That is pretty much our entire job from this point on out.

If he gets at least 3rd I'll be happy and hopeful. Anything less than that will be the beginning of the end for the campaign.
I think we can survive a 4th place finish, as long as we finish 3rd or better in NH. The campaign has the money and is building the apparatus to compete in 50 states. It's a marathon, not a sprint. South Carolina and Nevada are starting to develop faster than Iowa and NH for the campaign.

Paulitician
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I think we can survive a 4th place finish, as long as we finish 3rd or better in NH. The campaign has the money and is building the apparatus to compete in 50 states. It's a marathon, not a sprint. South Carolina and Nevada are starting to develop faster than Iowa and NH for the campaign.
If it's a close 4th place perhaps you're right. Either way, a 4th place finish would be like being on uncharted waters. The fact that is is probable somewhat scares me. I hope for the best.

runningdiz
12-26-2007, 04:13 PM
We need to be in top 3 in order to win NH is what I am thinking. Though I dont believe the campaign is over if we do worse then third. It just will be even more of an uphill fight then it is now.

Real_CaGeD
12-26-2007, 04:20 PM
You people are Nuts, crazy, moonbats, and kooks if you think Ron Paul will finish 3rd or fourth.

He will win Iowa.

Mark Rushmore
12-26-2007, 04:34 PM
If it's a close 4th place perhaps you're right. Either way, a 4th place finish would be like being on uncharted waters. The fact that is is probable somewhat scares me. I hope for the best.

The one positive thing about the bullshit media treatment of Paul is that he can easily survive fourth in Iowa. While to the hardcore polls-be-damned supporter it would certainly be a disappointment - to the punditry it would be a sort of victory. Whoever comes in fourth is going to be ahead of two of the following:

Romney, Giuliani, Huckabee, Thompson, McCain

and being clearly ahead of two of them in an honest-to-goodness vote (although I would have previously thought the money would be enough) would likely change the tone of coverage. Hell if Thompson comes in sixth - is it impossible to consider he might drop? That alone (however farfetched) might draw in a bunch of conservatives that were trying to avoid Paul but can't justify anyone else who's left.

yongrel
12-26-2007, 04:45 PM
top 3 and I'm a happy camper

The Good Doctor
12-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Now you are talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

You people are Nuts, crazy, moonbats, and kooks if you think Ron Paul will finish 3rd or fourth.

He will win Iowa.

romeo2
12-26-2007, 04:52 PM
and He saith unto them, why are ye fearful, o ye of little faith?

he will win iowa suckas

hazek
12-26-2007, 04:53 PM
WAW WHAT A SURPRISE?!?!? MOVING UP IN THE BS POLLS??!?!

Oh c'mon, didn't we predict this happening? Didn't we all say polls were BS and they would have to start showing his real support in the final two weeks to not loose credibility??

atthegates
12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
top 3 and I'm a happy camper

yeah me too

paulitics
12-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I know this sounds wrong, but what we actually want is all neocons to remain in the race through Super Tuesday. If anyone surprises besides RP in Iowa and NH, I hope it is John McCain and Fred Thompson, which I think could happen.

I do not see Rudy or Mitt dropping out no matter what. If Chuckabee disappoints, I think Fred will simply gobble up a large share of his votes.

The worst thing to happen is for John McCain to drop out after NH. All of his votes will go towards another neocon like Romney.

yongrel
12-26-2007, 04:56 PM
My predicted Iowa lineup:

Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee
Ron Paul
John McCain
Fred Thompson
Rudy Giuliani
Duncan Hunter