PDA

View Full Version : Romney Buying Votes in Iowa

Bryan in Iowa
07-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Mitt Romney will be purchasing tickets for the Iowa Straw Poll and giving them away to people who pledge to vote for him. The tickets cost $35 each. The Ron Paul campaign will not be purchasing tickets for participants voting for him at the straw poll. Romney is not the only candidate doing this, so far I know of two others....Brownback and Huckabee. The organization FairTax is also giving away free tickets.

Here is the flyer I received advertising Mitt Romney for the Iowa Straw Poll.

Click on image for higher resolution:
http://www.photoflock.com/get/p469422815660b.jpg (http://www.photoflock.com/get/p469422105f62b/k46942374965c8.jpg)

ctb619
07-10-2007, 06:32 PM
take the free ticket and vote for Ron Paul

RonPaulCult
07-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Take the free ticket - take the bus up with them and convince others to vote for Ron Paul. Hand out info and talk to people.

UtahApocalypse
This is what the Iowa straw poll is. The candidates pamper there guests in exchange for a vote.

Nash
take the free ticket and vote for Ron Paul

Exactly.

Bryan I posted a question about how I can buy tickets for some friends in another post. Do you have any insight on this matter? I'm from out of state.

Dave
07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Tommy Thompson is also providing free tickets and transportation.

damijin
07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I also vote that you take the free ticket and vote Ron Paul, if he's giving away his money that's his own damn problem. If you already intended to vote for Ron Paul, take the free ticket and give the money you intended to spend to another voter for Ron Paul.

tacitt
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Has Paul's campaign stated that they will not be buying any tickets?

I'm only asking because he stated in an interview that the straw poll is one of the things he would actually spend a decent amount of campaign funds on.

spacebetween
07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Is there anything to stop you from taking the free ticket and voting for someone else??

UtahApocalypse
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if Mitt gives out some 5000 tickets, then announces that he will win the Ames Straw poll.... then after all the votes are tallied........

Ron Paul Wins!!!

Thats right, they want to give free tickets. lets use them

Dave
07-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Is there anything to stop you from taking the free ticket and voting for someone else??

Just your conscience and wondering if Ron Paul would endorse such a thing.

spacebetween
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Just your conscience and wondering if Ron Paul would endorse such a thing.

Well, unless he offers some legally binding contract, then it shouldn't hurt anyone's conscience. You could just change your mind temporarily and want to vote for Mitt Romney. He flips around a lot -- why not his "supporters?"

EDIT: I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek in case anyone wants to take me too seriously. ;-)

RPR-omaha
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I am not sure how honorable that is. :( I imagine the campaign would have safeguards to prevent fraud. The Iowa straw poll has been around for a long time. A part of me also thinks if they are dumb enough to give tickets to folks who won't vote for them its their fault. I don't think I could do it.

Bryan in Iowa
07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Exactly.

Bryan I posted a question about how I can buy tickets for some friends in another post. Do you have any insight on this matter? I'm from out of state.

At this time I'm not sure how tickets can be purchased before the event. Dave?

anewvoice
07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
One has to wonder if lying to someone who is attempting to bribe you is in fact wrong? Okay, so two wrongs don't make a right.

But one Ron Paul elected, for me, does.

Honestly though, you'd think the ability to purchase a vote would be banned at this point, or at a minimum made a touch more subtle.

rockfree33
07-10-2007, 06:52 PM
We have to do what we can to get Ron Paul in the lead at the straw poll. That's the only way for the mass media to take him seriously and start covering him more.

Bryan in Iowa
07-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Has Paul's campaign stated that they will not be buying any tickets?

I'm only asking because he stated in an interview that the straw poll is one of the things he would actually spend a decent amount of campaign funds on.

Unless there is a complete 180 in the campaign, Ron Paul will not be purchasing tickets for voters, it's against his principles. This might be detrimental to us, but how can we argue with it? When I think of what Ron Paul would do, I come to only one conclusion, he would purchase his own ticket and not be 'bought' by a candidate he did not feel comfortable with. I also don't think he'd accept a free ticket and then vote for someone else. I'm sure some will do this, but not all.

The other way to get a ticket, and not commit to a particular candidate is through the FairTax people. We will be working this angle.

PatriotOne
07-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Mitt Romney's Signup for the Iowa Straw Poll

http://iowa.mittromney.com/signup

ChicagoLawyer
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Bryan in Iowa- How many Iowans do you guys have scouted-out for going to Ames and voting for Ron on their own dime? With 4 other campaigns buying votes, other than massive Ron Paul fever I just don't see how Ron is going to get enough votes to come in first or second. Is there still any chance that a few of us could pool our resources to buy some tickets for Ron Paul attendees?

Short of that, how much help will you guys need in giving people rides? Could an army of out-of-staters in vans come and help people get to Ames?

TheLibertyTree
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I would recommend people paste the links to the Romney site into a new browser window, or better yet Google it yourself. If the Romney webmasters notice this weird pattern of people signing up for the straw poll coming from the Ron Paul forums....

Jana
07-10-2007, 07:06 PM
VOTES FOR SALE

By Jana Bogs

Mitt Romney is buying votes for the Iowa straw poll by getting people to promise to vote for him in exchange for his paying their $35 entrance fee, and giving them transportation to the event and food. If this isn’t bribery, what is?

The supposed purpose of the straw poll is to raise money for the GOP. However, the polling results are subsequently advertised as the voting public’s choices for presidential candidates and used to sway the eventual selection of the Republican presidential candidate. Mitt Romney put $9 Million of his own money into his campaign. Now he’s using it to buy votes. Obviously, he feels like he will not be able to get sufficient votes without paying for them. Why? Apparently, people aren’t committed to his campaign. They aren’t excited about what he stands for.

Ron Paul refused any thought of buying votes. He is all about liberty and freedom! And swaying voters by paying them off –bribing them—is the opposite of freedom.

Would you sell out your freedoms for “a pot of lentils”?

Perhaps you recall a story from the Old Testament about two brothers, Esau and Jacob. Esau, being the older son, had certain birthright privileges. He came home one day very hungry and Jacob had cooked up a nice meal. Esau asked if he could have some food, but Jacob wouldn’t let him unless Esau traded his birthright for it. Not thinking clearly of the birthright’s importance at the moment, Esau agreed to trade it for the meal. Later Esau realized what great privileges he had lost. He felt cheated, but then it was too late to reclaim what he had foolishly traded!

Our birthrights in the United States of America are our rights guaranteed by the constitution. Most political leaders these days are seeking to diminish our constitutional rights in favor of big government which is headed in the direction of a police state. Ron Paul has been a staunch supporter of the constitution throughout his 10 terms in office as a U.S. representative in congress.

Don’t sell out! Stand up for your freedoms! Vote Ron Paul!

Jana
07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd like to write another version for submission to newspapers. I would like to include Democrats who are doing similar "vote buying". Anybody have hard evidence of such?

VOTES FOR SALE

By Jana Bogs

Mitt Romney is buying votes for the Iowa straw poll by getting people to promise to vote for him in exchange for his paying their $35 entrance fee, and giving them transportation to the event and food. If this isn’t bribery, what is?

The supposed purpose of the straw poll is to raise money for the GOP. However, the polling results are subsequently advertised as the voting public’s choices for presidential candidates and used to sway the eventual selection of the Republican presidential candidate. Mitt Romney put $9 Million of his own money into his campaign. Now he’s using it to buy votes. Obviously, he feels like he will not be able to get sufficient votes without paying for them. Why? Apparently, people aren’t committed to his campaign. They aren’t excited about what he stands for.

Ron Paul refused any thought of buying votes. He is all about liberty and freedom! And swaying voters by paying them off –bribing them—is the opposite of freedom.

Would you sell out your freedoms for “a pot of lentils”?

Perhaps you recall a story from the Old Testament about two brothers, Esau and Jacob. Esau, being the older son, had certain birthright privileges. He came home one day very hungry and Jacob had cooked up a nice meal. Esau asked if he could have some food, but Jacob wouldn’t let him unless Esau traded his birthright for it. Not thinking clearly of the birthright’s importance at the moment, Esau agreed to trade it for the meal. Later Esau realized what great privileges he had lost. He felt cheated, but then it was too late to reclaim what he had foolishly traded!

Our birthrights in the United States of America are our rights guaranteed by the constitution. Most political leaders these days are seeking to diminish our constitutional rights in favor of big government which is headed in the direction of a police state. Ron Paul has been a staunch supporter of the constitution throughout his 10 terms in office as a U.S. representative in congress.

Don’t sell out! Stand up for your freedoms! Vote Ron Paul!

Jared
07-10-2007, 07:10 PM
My conscience just isn't as pure as Dr. Paul's. I'm an "ends justify the means" type of person. :cool:

walt
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
what does the $35 go to?

Electrostatic
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I think it would be hillarious if we could get 1000's of people to send the invitation in NOT to vote for Ron Paul (Because that would would be dishonest and backfire), but just to burn the tickets after they were paid for... Teach Mr. Romney what "Broken Promises" in politics feel like when you are on the recieving end...

MozoVote
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't see any problem settling for a "moral victory" in 2nd place with tickets bought and paid for by real supporters. Paul is using precious funds that his supporters provided to him, to prepare for the CAUCUS vote.

Bryan
07-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Short of that, how much help will you guys need in giving people rides? Could an army of out-of-staters in vans come and help people get to Ames?
Copy that. It would be good to know from some of the Iowans if there is another time where it would be beneficial for out-of-state people to come to Iowa again. Staw poll, debate, ??? I'm game to come and help but need some notice to get a 1/2 decent airfare. Ideally Dr. Paul would be there too. :)

mconder
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I think it's a great idea to get a ticket from Fair Tax or one of the other candidates and then vote for Ron.

mconder
07-10-2007, 07:55 PM
You could just change your mind temporarily and want to vote for Mitt Romney.

No doubt, how could Mitt Romney fault you for a change of position?

FreedomLover
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
You could just change your mind temporarily and want to vote for Mitt Romney.

No doubt, how could Mitt Romney fault you for a change of position?

Yeah honestly. If mitt can change his position whenever he wants, why can't we? :cool:

DeadheadForPaul
07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I personally have no problem with anyone here taking a ticket from Romney and voting for Paul. You can't buy people's votes. Why should you feel obligated to vote for Romney? He never said you have to vote for him if you take the free ticket. Besides...if he ends up taking federal matching funds then we are paying for these tickets!

Roxi
07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I can see the headlines "Flip Flop Candidate Draws in Flip Flop voters" hee hee

stevedasbach
07-10-2007, 09:04 PM
What would Ron Paul Do?

It's hard to do the right thing. However, doing the right thing is what Ron Paul is all about.

Taking a ticket from another candidate (i.e. promising that candidate your vote) then voting for Ron isn't honest -- it isn't what Ron Paul would do.

Ron's detractors are constantly looking for any sign of hypocracy from him or his supporters. Let's not give them any ammunition that could be used to discredit Dr. Paul.

torchbearer
07-10-2007, 09:10 PM

Nope. Do it. It will save ron paul money and teach these jerk-offs that our COUNTRY ISN'T FOR SALE!!!!

Remember the Boston Tea Party? Down right criminal... but it is ok, because it was rebelling against criminal acts. I.E. Patriot Act. I.E. income tax. ie. Fiat Currency. These things are too important to not consider all the options when it comes to taking back our country via a ron paul victory.

Birdlady
07-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Take the free ticket - take the bus up with them and convince others to vote for Ron Paul. Hand out info and talk to people.

lol I can see it now. People on the Romney bus going vote Ron Paul! hahhah That would be something I'd love to see video taped.

Shooterman
07-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Mitt Romney will be purchasing tickets for the Iowa Straw Poll and giving them away to people who pledge to vote for him. The tickets cost $35 each. The Ron Paul campaign will not be purchasing tickets for participants voting for him at the straw poll. Romney is not the only candidate doing this, so far I know of two others....Brownback and Huckabee. The organization FairTax is also giving away free tickets.

Here is the flyer I received advertising Mitt Romney for the Iowa Straw Poll.

Click on image for higher resolution:
http://www.photoflock.com/get/p469422815660b.jpg (http://www.photoflock.com/get/p469422105f62b/k46942374965c8.jpg)

Tell me it ain't true. Mitzi is giving away free tickets? Maybe the Son of George doesn't feel so strong, eh?

I wouldn't vote for the bum on a whiskey bet. I remember the number his Old Man, along with Scranton and Rockefella did on Barry G. A pox on his house.

berkeleybound
07-10-2007, 09:23 PM
lol I can see it now. People on the Romney bus going vote Ron Paul! hahhah That would be something I'd love to see video taped.

I agree. Definitely take the free ticket (I'm sure he's encouraging you to go to the poll, not bribing you to vote for him.) And definitely definitely campaign at the event as much as you can.

Swmorgan77
07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, unless he offers some legally binding contract, then it shouldn't hurt anyone's conscience. You could just change your mind temporarily and want to vote for Mitt Romney. He flips around a lot -- why not his "supporters?"

EDIT: I'm speaking tongue-in-cheek in case anyone wants to take me too seriously. ;-)

LOL good point :)

Oregon 4 RP
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
What would Ron Paul Do?

It's hard to do the right thing. However, doing the right thing is what Ron Paul is all about.

Taking a ticket from another candidate (i.e. promising that candidate your vote) then voting for Ron isn't honest -- it isn't what Ron Paul would do.

Ron's detractors are constantly looking for any sign of hypocracy from him or his supporters. Let's not give them any ammunition that could be used to discredit Dr. Paul.

After thinking it over, I agree.

Avalon
07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I agree. Definitely take the free ticket (I'm sure he's encouraging you to go to the poll, not bribing you to vote for him.) And definitely definitely campaign at the event as much as you can.

Look at the flyer, it says I will be attend the straw poll and vote for Romney and some other stuff I don't want to bother trying to read :-P And even if it didn't, their campaign is buying your ticket to help themselves, not to hurt themselves.

Anyway, I think this is a relativistic issue personally and that each person needs to make decisions like this on their own. Better to not tell/advise people either way, especially as group (although advising them to take the high road would certainly reflect better on us and our candidate than taking the low road).

Dave
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
At this time I'm not sure how tickets can be purchased before the event. Dave?

The Iowa GOP has said that ticket distribution is 'to be determined'.

I'm sure they're accustomed to selling huge blocks of these directly to the campaigns and have relatively few that are purchased directly by individuals.

I will call the Iowa GOP on Wednesday.

Dave
07-10-2007, 09:47 PM
what does the $35 go to?

To the Iowa GOP. It's a fundraiser.

torchbearer
07-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Look at the flyer, it says I will be attend the straw poll and vote for Romney and some other stuff I don't want to bother trying to read :-P And even if it didn't, their campaign is buying your ticket to help themselves, not to hurt themselves.

Anyway, I think this is a relativistic issue personally and that each person needs to make decisions like this on their own. Better to not tell/advise people either way, especially as group (although advising them to take the high road would certainly reflect better on us and our candidate than taking the low road).

To say its a contract to vote for romney would make it unethical to begin with... That would be buying votes and illegal. He is paying for the ticket and ride in "hopes" that you will vote for him... that's the legal way of taking the ticket. I'm tired of our country's politician's buying votes... let's make them pay... show them our country isnt for sale....

Phil M
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
This would get us bad media attention. As favorable as I find the idea of screwing with Mitt's campaign, if it gets out that we are doing this it will just perpetuate the myths that we don't play by the rules. If the FairTax people are giving out tickets, I think that that would be a much better option.

Dave
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I think it's a great idea to get a ticket from Fair Tax or one of the other candidates and then vote for Ron.

If the Fair Tax group is giving away free tickets that may be a good way to get them - I don't know what strings they may try to attach to your conscience but for me it beats taking a free ticket from Brownback, et al when I intend to vote for Dr. Paul. I know some people are OK with that, it just wouldn't work for me.

I'm proud to pay my poll tax to go vote for Ron Paul. That said, I know $70 for a couple is a lot of money to most ordinary midwestern folks - plus gas is $3.04/gal right now and Ames is a long haul for a lot of people. We're trying to win this thing with one hand tied behind our back so we need twice the effort.

Electrostatic
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
To say its a contract to vote for romney would make it unethical to begin with... That would be buying votes and illegal. He is paying for the ticket and ride in "hopes" that you will vote for him... that's the legal way of taking the ticket. I'm tired of our country's politician's buying votes... let's make them pay... show them our country isnt for sale....

That's what they usually do, but if you look at the ad you have to agree to "Vote for Mitt" in order to get it......

That is the problem.

CurtisLow
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Need to make up some signs and have people at the gate hold them.

Fixed it next page... Thanks!

Dave
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Need to make up some signs and have people at the gate hold them.

You've got the right idea! The Des Moines meetup talked about doing something like having buttons that say:

I Paid My Way...Who Paid Yours?

Electrostatic
07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Like the idea of signs, but that one may be a bit too confrontational.... Don't forget some people may not like being acused of having taken a bribe.

Rocky Mtn Liberty Lover
07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
CurtisLow - Very intriguing sign, but I would recommend changing "Washtington" to "Washington" and "canidate" to "candidate".

Why on this page do I see a "Rudy for GOP Nominee" ad at the bottom?

spacebetween
07-10-2007, 10:35 PM
You've got the right idea! The Des Moines meetup talked about doing something like having buttons that say:

I Paid My Way...Who Paid Yours?

Perhaps that's a bit standoffish?

Chester Copperpot
07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Fuck Romney.. let him waste his money

Romney has $12 Million in the bank.. but only because he put in over $9 million of his own money.. If you subtract that hes got no more than $3 Million.. Some people say hes got close to $2 Million...

all these fuckers can pump in all the money they want, but theyve got the wrong message and it will be a money pit for them..

The establishment isnt going to know what hit them.. After we get done with the neo-cons and lock up the nomination then were gonna knock out the neo-libs as well...

There will come a point when he knows he wont be able to win and mark my words.. he will pull out all his money for fear of losing it all and his campaign will be over.

Electrostatic
07-10-2007, 10:37 PM

It's the paid advertising that runs this site........ Every time someone clicks on it money goes from Rudy's War Chest to Google (Youtube) and this site....

CurtisLow
07-10-2007, 10:49 PM
CurtisLow - Very intriguing sign, but I would recommend changing "Washtington" to "Washington" and "canidate" to "candidate".

Thanks for the heads up! lol I guess I need to go to bed...zzzzz

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4177/voteyo4.jpg

Need to get some people holding signs at the gate.

Dave
Perhaps that's a bit standoffish?

Probably. It was just an idea. I don't know what kind of things will actually happen.

remaxjon

lol click it

It will cost him money and make money for the site.

JoshLowry
07-10-2007, 10:52 PM
lol click it

It will cost him money and make money for the site.

I will get my google adsense account revoked if any part of this site encourages ad clicks. Please do not encourage users to click ads.

The ads pull in about 5 dollars a day on average so it helps to pay the monthly $169 dedicated server hosting bill.

Hope you understand, not trying to be harsh.

Thanks! <3

Warhawk
07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
2 things.

1. Campaigns buying tickets for their supporters to the Iowa straw poll isn't something new. In fact, it's pretty customary. The fact that Romney is doing it isn't something that's going to turn anyone off to him, because practically every candidate does it.

2. There's also no rule that you have to vote for the campaign that bought your ticket. It's happened often in past straw polls. If there were any sort of rule or tradition that you had to vote for the candidate who you got your ticket from, then fine, it would be immoral, but there's not, so it should be fine.

Electrostatic
07-10-2007, 11:55 PM
2 things.

1. Campaigns buying tickets for their supporters to the Iowa straw poll isn't something new. In fact, it's pretty customary. The fact that Romney is doing it isn't something that's going to turn anyone off to him, because practically every candidate does it.

2. There's also no rule that you have to vote for the campaign that bought your ticket. It's happened often in past straw polls. If there were any sort of rule or tradition that you had to vote for the candidate who you got your ticket from, then fine, it would be immoral, but there's not, so it should be fine.

Yes, you are correct... But if you read the ad closely 'You Have To Agree To Vote For Him To Get The Ticket'... That's what makes this time different...

Electric Church
07-11-2007, 12:06 AM
take the free ticket and give the money you intended to spend to another voter for Ron Paul.

great idea

torchbearer
07-11-2007, 12:14 AM
When the founders rebelled against the powers that be... they did what was necesary to win... the act of rebellion was in itself very unlawful... and the revolution, violent.
We are not advocating violence... but if my liberties are at stake... I'm taking romney's ticket offer.
I'll flip him off as I vote for the constitution. i.e. Ron Paul.

ghemminger
07-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Fuck Romney.. let him waste his money

Romney has $12 Million in the bank.. but only because he put in over $9 million of his own money.. If you subtract that hes got no more than $3 Million.. Some people say hes got close to $2 Million...

all these fuckers can pump in all the money they want, but theyve got the wrong message and it will be a money pit for them..

The establishment isnt going to know what hit them.. After we get done with the neo-cons and lock up the nomination then were gonna knock out the neo-libs as well...

There will come a point when he knows he wont be able to win and mark my words.. he will pull out all his money for fear of losing it all and his campaign will be over.

I know I'm late but You are funny man...

beermotor
07-11-2007, 05:03 AM
My conscience just isn't as pure as Dr. Paul's. I'm an "ends justify the means" type of person. :cool:

You will have to change that, I'm sure.

We've got to bomb Iowa with information. The message will attract them, they will spend their own $35 to vote for Ron Paul. I predict this.

Shink
07-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up! lol I guess I need to go to bed...zzzzz

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/4177/voteyo4.jpg

Need to get some people holding signs at the gate. I don't recommend that sign, seeing as there was free food at the rally here in Iowa a couple weeks ago.

Dave
07-11-2007, 09:09 AM
The Iowa GOP has said that ticket distribution is 'to be determined'.

I'm sure they're accustomed to selling huge blocks of these directly to the campaigns and have relatively few that are purchased directly by individuals.

I will call the Iowa GOP on Wednesday.

I spoke with the Iowa GOP. They said they don't have the tickets back from the printer yet. The guy said they could be bought directly from the Iowa GOP or at the event.

Ninja Homer
07-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I see no moral dilemma with using Romney's tickets to vote for Ron Paul. Campaigning to get Ron Paul elected is a campaign for morality, and anything used to help get Ron Paul elected is a sound moral decision, in my opinion.

Don't be concerned about a news story coming out about people using Romney's tickets to vote for Ron Paul. If it did, it would read something like, "Mitt Romney was trying to buy votes and Ron Paul's supporters took advantage of it." I just can't see MSM reporting that. Besides, any news story about Ron Paul, whether negative or positive, gives more attention to Ron Paul, which leads to more supporters once they see what Ron Paul is all about. Negative press always helps an unknown candidate, unless it is something REAL bad (which we all know would never happen with Ron Paul).

That being said, if the OP could upload a high resolution scan of both sides of that Romney flier, I'd like to print and mail in a few thousand of them (joking, of course). :p

Avalon
07-11-2007, 09:18 AM
anything used to help get Ron Paul elected is a sound moral decision, in my opinion. So robbing a bank, business, or person, or dealing drugs to raise money for Ron Paul is OK? Seriously...a line has to be drawn somewhere. Where do you draw it and how do you arrive at drawing it there? If you guys want to employ moral relativism that's fine, but if you want to advocate it for other people, at least lay out complete, logical reasoning.

Ninja Homer
07-11-2007, 09:37 AM
So robbing a bank, business, or person, or dealing drugs to raise money for Ron Paul is OK? Seriously...a line has to be drawn somewhere. Where do you draw it and how do you arrive at drawing it there? If you guys want to employ moral relativism that's fine, but if you want to advocate it for other people, at least lay out complete, logical reasoning.

It depends on which bank, business, or person you are referring to. I see no problem with dealing drugs because they should be legalized anyway. Seriously though... each person has already drawn their own moral and "comfort zone" lines, and this is a cause in which people need to decide for themselves whether they are going to do everything they possibly can, or look back at this time in the future and think to themselves, "I should have done more."

ChicagoLawyer
07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
If people can simply buy tickets from the Iowa GOP beforehand, or even at the event, I don't think there's anything wrong or "anti-Freedom" with us Paul-supporters who are non-Iowans, collectively or individually, buying tickets and handing them out to people who say they support Ron Paul.

Face it, this is not the equivalent of "buying votes." It's not like people voting in the straw poll are getting free oil changes or anything else of value (other than perhaps a lunch and a "trip" to Ames) in exchange for voting. They are supporters of a candidate who are voting, and simply are doing so without having to pay $35. Would you go to Ames and vote for a candidate (even if for free) if you didn't support him? I don't think so.

This is how the game is played. I don't think it's correct to say "Ron Paul wouldn't buy tickets for the straw poll even if he could afford it." It the campaign had as much money as Rudy and Romney it would be stupid not to buy tickets.

Therefore, I think it's a very very good idea for us to move forward, independently from the campaign--as the FairTax people are doing--and buy a bunch of tickets for Paul supporters. If each of us only "sponsored" one Iowan we could buy THOUSANDS of tickets.

So, who's in?

Avalon
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't think it's correct to say "Ron Paul wouldn't buy tickets for the straw poll even if he could afford it." It the campaign had as much money as Rudy and Romney it would be stupid not to buy tickets.

The campaign could easily afford to buy tickets for up to the 10k supporters it wants in Ames. It could afford a nice setup with great food, buses, etc. In fact, winning the straw poll alone would very likely earn him an extra million in donations (and certainly be worth even more in attention/expectation). If the campaign decided not to buy tickets it's not for a lack of funds.

With that said, that doesn't mean the grassroots effort can't or shouldn't do something different. There's a lot of benefit to being kept at arm's length.

DeadheadForPaul
07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
I WANT the campaign to use my donations to bus in supporters and buy tickets. You have to play the game in order to win

If the campaign does not want to do that, then we must buy tickets and distribute them

egoistorms
07-11-2007, 10:12 AM
if you take the free ticket under the condition that you will vote for romney or huckabee or brownback or whoever and then vote for Ron Paul....

...aren't you part of the problem that RP's principles and platform are trying eradicate?

I support Ron Paul b.c he is loyal to a set of values that I also value.

key idea: loyalty to values.

MozoVote
07-11-2007, 10:16 AM
I respect the campaigns decision to take the high road. But I also think it's perfectly fine for the grassroots organization to sponsor voters, drive them there, etc.

Nash
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't think it's a "high road" issue I just think it's a matter of how the campaign wants to spend their money. They feel in terms of the resources they have, it's better to have us mobilize instead of blowing 300k on the straw poll.

I have no problem with this. We just need to do what we can to make our presence known in Iowa. I'm sending two individuals from ISU to the poll to vote for Ron Paul and I'm footing the bill. I figure it's money well spent.

aknappjr
07-11-2007, 12:37 PM

It might or might not be legally binding, but it would be morally binding if you said "In exchange for this ticket, I will vote for Mitt Romney." Also, you would be lying. If however, you said "I like some of the things Mitt Romney stands for and will consider voting for him" in exchange for the ticket, I think that would be morally permissible.

aknappjr
07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Free tickets for Volunteers: http://www.iowagop.org/FlexPage.aspx?area=strawpoll

JoshLowry
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Free tickets for Volunteers: http://www.iowagop.org/FlexPage.aspx?area=strawpoll

I spoke with Eric and he confirmed that volunteers can vote in the straw poll. You do have to be a resident of Iowa though.