PDA

View Full Version : Strange "security device" on a Christmas gift...

Wendi
12-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I've been trying to figure this out since I saw the first one weeks ago, and now it turned up in a leather coat from Sams' Club that I got for Christmas.

It's a little red plastic tag snapped onto the material. Similar to the "ink tags" or "security devices" that some stores use to prevent shoplifting. What was different about this is that it has instructions on the side of it: "Cut at line, slide to remove" with an arrow - and then in larger letters all the way down the length of it, it said "for home removal."

When I first saw it, I assumed it would have something inside it (like those little metal tags that are in CD cases, movies, etc. to set off alarms if they leave the store without being deactivated). But, there was nothing in it. My next thought was that something was imbedded in one half or the other of the plastic. So I attempted to smash it to bits in the driveway and see if I could figure out what the secret mechanism of this "security device" is.

Nothing, as far as I can tell. The coat was "made in China," if that makes a difference (something related to tracking imports perhaps?). The clerks at Sams' Club don't seem to know why it is on there, either.

Anyone here work in retail who might be able to shed some light on this?

constituent
12-26-2007, 02:52 PM
hahah... they're doing it just to mess w/ us.

dummy boxes, lol.

no tellin' ... kinda weird

Wendi
12-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I almost hate to admit why I smashed it in the driveway to see if something was in it. It sounds so ridiculously paranoid but... the thought "RFID chip" did cross my mind...

TheNewYorker
12-26-2007, 02:59 PM
pics?

LibertiORDeth
12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I almost hate to admit why I smashed it in the driveway to see if something was in it. It sounds so ridiculously paranoid but... the thought "RFID chip" did cross my mind...

As it would with a lot of us.

Wendi
12-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry, no pics. I wish I'd thought of it before I tossed it in the trash in frustration.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to go find another one in the store and photograph it though... lol.

Dave Pedersen
12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
RFID chips can be as small as the size of a pinhead. They can be the dot on the letter "i" in the small print which lists ingredients for example. I heard you could disable the thing if it is in an ID card by microwaving the card for about 5 seconds. Its the ones they plant in your brains which are more difficult to extract.. still working on mine.. ow. OWW!

Wendi
12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Hehe... it's a good thing we didn't know the microwave thing at my school when they gave us chipped student ID cards. I can see the headlines now, "dorm burns when students mass-microwave identification cards..." :p