PDA

View Full Version : This just happened to me while shopping!

max
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
So I go to the sporting goods store to buy a weight lifting belt and paid for it with my Visa card.

When I got home I realized that I picked out an extra large (I'm a medium). I returned the belt to exchange for a smaller one but I explained to the girl that had already thrown out the receipt.

No problem she says. "Can I see your drivers license"...not credit card .... DRIVERS LICENSE.

I hand over my license and she scans the barcode on the back...and Voila!...My transaction for the belt I was returning shows up on the computer. She voids it out and charges me for the medium belt instead...without ever having to look at the credit card I used!

WTF! So our credit card purchases are now logged in a government data bank??? So this is what the National ID card will be all about.

True story!

sluggo
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow. That's scary. Next they'll be pulling up your financial info by your mother's maiden name.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
This is for your protection.

brumans
12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Why didn't you say something?

Falseflagop
12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
You see RON PAUL right again. This is exactly what he is trying to stop!

1913_to_2008
12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
What store and what state?

max
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Why didn't you say something?

I was so baffled that it didnt hit what had just happened until I got home.

Besisdes, the girl was just doing her job. Who would I have complained to?

Elwar
most likely your purchase with the credit card stored all of your personal information in their database...name, address, phone number...

They scanned your drivers license and got the same information.

Just like how Autozone asks for your name and phone number when you return something. They just got a bit more fancy by automating it using a scanner.

max
What store and what state?

Sports Authority in NJ

brumans
12-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I was so baffled that it didnt hit what had just happened until I got home.

Besisdes, the girl was just doing her job. Who would I have complained to?

I didn't say to complain.. just to ask her what she was doing/why she needed your drivers license?

Seems like a pretty obvious question to me

JosephTheLibertarian
12-26-2007, 01:30 PM
wrong section

Dave Wood
12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
At this point in time. USE ONLY FED RESERVE NOTES WITH RP2008 STAMPED ON THEM for any transaction that you possibly can.

What just happened to you shows how quickly we can become merely barcodes. It is TIME for the REVOLUTION:mad::eek:

Birdlady
So I go to the sporting goods store to buy a weight lifting belt and paid for it with my Visa card.

When I got home I realized that I picked out an extra large (I'm a medium). I returned the belt to exchange for a smaller one but I explained to the girl that had already thrown out the receipt.

No problem she says. "Can I see your drivers license"...not credit card .... DRIVERS LICENSE.

I hand over my license and she scans the barcode on the back...and Voila!...My transaction for the belt I was returning shows up on the computer. She voids it out and charges me for the medium belt instead...without ever having to look at the credit card I used!

WTF! So our credit card purchases are now logged in a government data bank??? So this is what the National ID card will be all about.

You are just mistaken and obviously never worked at retail before.

She went into the computer and hit the option, return/even exchange without receipt.

As soon as you do that, it will immediately ask for a Driver's License. When she scanned it, it put your Driver's license number in the machine. This is how private companies can track of who is returning items. This stuff affects your credit score if you return too much stuff. There is a limit at most stores of how much you can return IN YOUR LIFETIME at their store and this goes on your running total. Once you return too much stuff, you are forced to take a corporate check that comes in the mail in a few weeks for processing or if they suspect fraud that will do that too.

She didn't have to look at the credit card because it was an even exchange. No money needed to be returned because you were getting the same belt, but just a different size. The only reason she needed to even use the computer was to return the SKU number on the larger belt for the SKU number on the smaller belt. This is to keep their inventory accurate.

Dieseler
wrong section

I agree, but if you want it seen and commented on,

Its the right section lol.

max
most likely your purchase with the credit card stored all of your personal information in their database...name, address, phone number...

They scanned your drivers license and got the same information.

Just like how Autozone asks for your name and phone number when you return something. They just got a bit more fancy by automating it using a scanner.

maybe...but nonetheless, I'm stilll not comfortable with state mandadted barcode technology on my ID cards

jarofclay
12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Ok, this is not some governmental conspiracy. This is a store with up-to-date technology. If and when you pay for an item with a credit card your name is embedded on the track data along with your card number. This can lawfully be stored by the store (and the card number as well unfortunately).

If you forgot your card, they could index your information by your name which for your security they would need to verify that you are the person you say you are so a valid way to do this would be by a driver's license. (Hey at least they didn't ask for your SS card :) ) Scanners can pull the name off of the driver's license bar code it is embedded in several ways depending on the state. Viola, name identified, transaction returned.

DrRich
12-26-2007, 01:35 PM
This is for your protection.

hmm...

is that right before they say "bend over"?

OptionsTrader
12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Max,

Do you see where your assumptions and paranoia ran you into a dark alley that you created? Stop this BS.

Hot topics or delete this thread.

jj111
12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Resist Authority.

Resist Sports Authority.

qwerty
12-26-2007, 01:37 PM

True story!

:eek:

max
12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Resist Authority.

Resist Sports Authority.

Question Sports Authority.

I fight Sports Authority, sports Authority always win

Mental Dribble
12-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Your over reacting here, but I can understand why....

Its pretty basic. When you use your Credit card to buy something it saves your name to their database. By scanning the back of the card it pulls your name up and finds your own file. I think you probably could have given them your CC if you didn't have a license. Its not really a big deal... if you dont want your transactions stored you have the ability to pay with cash.

max
12-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Max,

Do you see where your assumptions and paranoia ran you into a dark alley that you created? Stop this BS.

Hot topics or delete this thread.

Not really. The fact remains that our ID cards have barcodes on them which can indeed store information. RP himslef has stated that all of our transactions can now be monitored.

How is that "paranoid".....Read up on Homeland security Total Information Awareness program

Arklatex
12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
We'd have to get to the root of it. No telling really, mine have just been a simple check of the name.

Unspun
12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
You probably gave your credit card company your drivers license number... it's not a state database, why would sports authority have access to a state database?

Birdlady
12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Not really. The fact remains that our ID cards have barcodes on them which can indeed store information. RP himslef has stated that all of our transactions can now be monitored.

How is that "paranoid".....Read up on Homeland security Total Information Awareness program

You were implying that the transaction was on your Driver's License and you are wrong. The transaction was never on your Driver's License. Stores use that number to keep track of who is returning items. Some people abuse it, so they have to keep a running total.

tanstaafl
12-26-2007, 01:55 PM
...WTF! So our credit card purchases are now logged in a government data bank??? So this is what the National ID card will be all about...

It starts off with an RFID tracking chip - which can be detected at some distance without your even opening your wallet. THE LAW WAS PASSED IN 2005 AND ONLY AWAITS IMPLEMENTATION ... mandated by 2008!! So, this is not "paranoid thinking" or conjecture, or some bill yet to come. The national ID card has *already* been mandated and, presumably, funded.

Anyway, as I recall, INITIALLY the card will be required to OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT or ENTER ANY PUBLIC "BUILDING". It doesn't take much imagination to recognize that a public highway is obviously a "building" ... or will be before you know it and, in any case, this is a drivers license.

So...it is a certainty that within no time at all ALL significant movement within the US will be tracked 24/7. The technology already exists and the INTENTION couldn't be more clear. Put this together with SB 1959 http://www.google.com/search?q=sb+1959+terrorism&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) and the detention camps Halliburton previously was contracted to build, and you've got the makings of a police state far beyond anything Hitler or Orwell could ever have imagined.

Once such a "society" becomes established there will likely be no escaping for anyone. I don't regard myself as a fringe thinker and I don't frequent places such as "prisonplanet". But the danger here is very real and very imminent. Totalitarian control of society on this level is not something you want to enable as a possibility - but we have already enabled most of it and the "Real ID" would be the final technological nail in the coffin. I would say that if Real ID becomes widespread that it is only a question of when - not if - we will be living in a police state beyond the worst dystopian nightmare.

Anyone who tries to laugh off that conjecture is either part of the machine or is seriously ignorant of the facts and the lessons of history and human nature.

CaptBookbag
12-26-2007, 01:56 PM

She went into the computer and hit the option, return/even exchange without receipt.

As soon as you do that, it will immediately ask for a Driver's License. When she scanned it, it put your Driver's license number in the machine. This is how private companies can track of who is returning items. This stuff affects your credit score if you return too much stuff. There is a limit at most stores of how much you can return IN YOUR LIFETIME at their store and this goes on your running total. Once you return too much stuff, you are forced to take a corporate check that comes in the mail in a few weeks for processing or if they suspect fraud that will do that too.

She didn't have to look at the credit card because it was an even exchange. No money needed to be returned because you were getting the same belt, but just a different size. The only reason she needed to even use the computer was to return the SKU number on the larger belt for the SKU number on the smaller belt. This is to keep their inventory accurate.

I guess everyone is just going to ignore this post.

stefans
12-26-2007, 02:05 PM
the bar code contains your personal information as printed on the drivers license, not just an ID which would have to be matched with a government database to get your information.

so they probably just matched your name on the drivers license to the name of the credit card and their recent purchases.

nothing wrong here imho.

TheNewYorker
12-26-2007, 02:13 PM

I worked retail before and that sounds about right

Wendi
12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
My drivers' license won't scan. First thing I do when I get it renewed is take it to my friendly local supermarket, and rub it all over that pad that says "do not lay drivers license or credit cards here." ;)

It ticks off the people who have to type all the info in manually when there is a legitimate need for them to have my info... but... tough. Those instances are rare anyway, since I pay for most transactions with cash.