PDA

View Full Version : Chris Dodd Hates the Constitution

gravesdav
07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Why?
Because he wants to violate the 13th amendment which forbids slavery and involuntary servitude.
Dodd wants the federal government to force High school students to do volunteer work to graduate. That's involuntary servitude.
Of course Dodd's policies are unconsitutional because he probally never read the Constitution, and if he did he's just another Big gov. Communist.

SeanEdwards
07-10-2007, 05:34 PM
It's true. That's why what we need instead is to have voting rights tied to lifelong militia membership. You don't have to volunteer service if you dont want, you just don't get to vote in that case. If you want to claim the right to direct the decisions of government, then you should accept the responsibility to back up those decisions with your life. :D

MBA2008
07-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Quotation:>>>That's why what we need instead is to have voting rights tied to lifelong militia membership. You don't have to volunteer service if you dont want, you just don't get to vote in that case. If you want to claim the right to direct the decisions of government, then you should accept the responsibility to back up those decisions with your life.<<<

What?!

Your right to vote is based on consenting to be drafted?

I hope this is joke, and if it is, my apologies for the shock.

If it's not, then this is way off. Is this what liberty is? Don't do what's good for your country, else we'll take away your rights.

What if we changed it to say, join the militia or go to prison? Or join the militia or we'll take your house?

Your idea sounds very communistic, and very counter to the principles of freedom.

Please tell me it was a joke.

angrydragon
07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
15th amendment

1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

1000-points-of-fright
07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
It's true. That's why what we need instead is to have voting rights tied to lifelong militia membership. You don't have to volunteer service if you dont want, you just don't get to vote in that case. If you want to claim the right to direct the decisions of government, then you should accept the responsibility to back up those decisions with your life. :D

Been reading Starship Troopers haven't we? Although in Heinlein's defense, citizenship wasn't tied to lifelong militia membership but merely a period of military service. While I can see some benefit in that we'd certainly have a more disciplined populace not to mention the old cliché "with freedom comes responsibility", it would never fly here... the 15th amendment being the main reason.

But it seems to work fine for Switzerland.

SeanEdwards
07-11-2007, 03:03 AM
Quotation:>>>That's why what we need instead is to have voting rights tied to lifelong militia membership. You don't have to volunteer service if you dont want, you just don't get to vote in that case. If you want to claim the right to direct the decisions of government, then you should accept the responsibility to back up those decisions with your life.<<<

What?!

Your right to vote is based on consenting to be drafted?

No, your right to vote should be contingent upon your lifelong committment to serve as militia, in the traditional revolutionary war sense of militia.

I hope this is joke, and if it is, my apologies for the shock.
If it's not, then this is way off. Is this what liberty is?

Of course it's liberty. Liberty comes with responsibility.

Don't do what's good for your country, else we'll take away your rights.

Why should you get to vote other people to go to war and die without putting yourself at risk?

What if we changed it to say, join the militia or go to prison? Or join the militia or we'll take your house?

Well, that's pretty much how the draft worked. Isn't my proposal more humane? The conscientious objector can obstain from fighting, and the only price for that is not having a vote.

It just seems self-evident to me that the choices of a democracy are a serious matter, and the privelege of voting should come with a direct reminder of the responsibility of that power. The current situation, where a tiny professional army bears all the suffering for the choices of a bunch of fat lazy comfortable civilians is intolerable. I think we should only fight constitutionally declared wars, and I think it should be a law that a certain percentage of militia units should automatically be activated in the event of war.

I also think a renewal of the spirit of militia service in the country could be socially beneficial. It would build a sense of community. I also think it's truly the basis of a very strong, very cost-effective national defense. Look what a rag-tag bunch of militia are doing to us in Iraq. Small arms and other infantry weapons are proving to be war winning arms, much more than ICBMs and aircraft carriers.

This type of defense policy based heavily on militia for manpower is also naturally suited to a politics of non-intervention. It is fundamentally defensive in nature.

Your idea sounds very communistic, and very counter to the principles of freedom.

Please tell me it was a joke.

Not a joke at all. Switzerland, which I think may be the oldest European democracy, and which was a model for the Founders of America, has held for hundreds of years a policy of lifetime militia membership. I don't think anyone is accusing the Swiss of being communist. On the contrary, they are quite capitalist, and their policies have helped them to stay peaceful and free through the entire 20th century when all their immediate neighbors were devestated by war.

Man from La Mancha
07-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Not a joke at all. Switzerland, which I think may be the oldest European democracy, and which was a model for the Founders of America, has held for hundreds of years a policy of lifetime militia membership. I don't think anyone is accusing the Swiss of being communist. On the contrary, they are quite capitalist, and their policies have helped them to stay peaceful and free through the entire 20th century when all their immediate neighbors were devestated by war.

Don't you think that a lot of counties and rich people and elite and the mafia had lots of money in swiss banks helped them stay untouched in war. People just go messing around with that kind money.

I'm totally for the reestablishment of state militias.

Everybody should have the right to vote period to think other wise to me would be unamerican

ShaneC
07-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Theoretically, isn't the National Guard (supposed to be) the State militia, as they're supposed to be controlled by the governor of each state?

Of course, there were executive orders established that changed that I believe....

Not downing the idea of independent citizen militias, but trying to bring some views into light.