PDA

View Full Version : IRS strikes again! (rant)

devil21
12-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Just got a notice saying that my last tax return was inaccurate (I missed a $900 1099 that I never received) and due to gross income adjustments they made, I ended up not qualifying for both of my tax credits by less than $1000 and now owe the IRS back the credit amounts of $2800 plus a "dishonesty fee" and interest. So in short, because of a $900 change, I now owe them $3600.

No matter how high the cost of living goes, no matter how worthless the dollar gets, the tax code stays the same. You practically having to be living in poverty or stinkin rich to get any tax credits whatsoever. Please Ron! Get rid of these people! I think I just found my new pet issue.

blacksforronpaul
12-25-2007, 05:41 PM
IRS is an absolute joke, My accountant told me to make less money next year LOL!!!!
thats how bad it is. So now i work like 3/4 time to get my income down. I have given up on doing anything until the tax code is changed I cant afford expensive loopholes and tax tricks what a freakin joke!

jenninlouisiana
12-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Call them and ask for help. this happened to us once... we missed a 1,000 1099 which was a complete oversight and they told me what "expenses" to take to make it even. LOL. The Dh didn't want to do it, though, because he really had no expenses.

So just call the number and tell them you forgot about your expenses related to that 1099 and then tell them you want the dishonesty fee taken off.

You can negotiate with the IRS-- especially on such a small amount of 1099.

jenninlouisiana
12-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Forgot to say: obviously be overly nice and friendly if you want help. But definitely don't let them tack on a dishonesty fee if you really weren't dishonest. (They didn't take on that fee for us).

ladyliberty
12-25-2007, 06:36 PM
I dont understand the IRS = once they sent me a "refund" of $3.15 and then the next day I got a bill from them saying I owe the $657!

I let Don handle my taxes at the H & R Bleak office!

devil21
12-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I use TurboTax personally. It works great for relatively simple returns. I will definitely call them, thanks for the advice jenn. I don't feel this is fair at all and seems like extreme nitpicking that was ignored before the executive decided to bankrupt our country for pointless wars.

To put this into perspective, the earned income credit and child tax credit require adjusted gross income of no more than $33,241. Anyway, because of the $932 it put my adjusted income at $34,027 and wiped out my EIC and child tax credits. Now they want both those credits back in entirety plus penalties and interest. Will they ever adjust these numbers to account for rising cost of living and devaluing of the dollar? I don't deny I screwed up by not having my ducks in a row but come on!

Merry Christmas taxpayer! Here's your bill!