PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Wilson's War : A Neoconservative Agenda

mwkaufman
12-24-2007, 10:22 PM
http://www.worstpreviews.com/images/photos/charliewilsonswar/charliewilsonswar3.jpg

Members of the Reagan administration have denounced this movie as too left-wing, but I thought it really pushed a neoconservative agenda. Congressman Charlie Wilson of Texas's 2nd congressional district was after all a boozed up Democrat that lobbied the covert operations budget for Afghanistan up from five million to nearly half a billion. He mentions in passing that all his god-fearing constituents want are low taxes and their guns, so how does Charlie Wilson act? He fights for Medicaid and foreign interventionism in Nicaragua and Afghanistan.

As they fight along the Saudi's in Afghanistan they leave out Osama bin Laden and the Taliban entirely, who would have added another dimension to the movie and perhaps made people think about the consequences of these actions aside from a victory over the USSR and a few hundred million dollars down the drain in forms of weapons in the Middle East. The movie deems the war a stunning success, but blames the failings as "fucking up the endgame", a terribly obvious allusion to Iraq. If America had just spent a few million dollars on building schools in Afghanistan, everything would have worked out great. Oh and Afghanistanis didn't know that it was America that helped them fight the war, so they weren't thankful to us. Ridiculous.

foofighter20x
12-24-2007, 11:05 PM
LOL... I remember telling my great-aunt about this movie when it was first announced they were making it... She then told me that she had dated Wilson a loooooong time ago, before he became a politician. :eek:

She grew up and still lives in his part of TX, near Lufkin, so it's not really so far-fetched...