PDA

View Full Version : An Interconnected world; World Government's Dream Come True

Fox McCloud
12-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if any of you saw the most recent episode of "future car" on the Science Channel. Quite interesting to say the least. Still though, did any of you stop and think about the implications?

In short, they were suggesting that a car have thousands, if not millions of chips in them, all interconnected and able to share information with each other. It also suggested that the road itself would have billions upon billions of different chips...and that they'd be able to communicate with the cars and a local traffic monitoring area in a city. They never came out and said it, but they insinuated that it'd be able to communicate with more than just that; naturally everything was spoken of in a positive manner.

It sounded really neat...but the implications and disasters that could arise from this would be gigantic. First of all, the government has openly admitted to reading e-mail and gathering information from the Internet (even before the Patriot Act)...what would stop them from monitoring and controlling traffic? They'd be able to tell an insane amount of details about you. Where you're going, what your traveling habits are, what kind of things you've purchased (after all, there's hundreds of RFID chips in products now, it's only going to get worse later); plus other readings (and many they probably won't tell you about).

While this is obviously the distant future, I certainly hope the program alarmed some people; in a system where everything, and I mean everything is interconnected (through the Internet or what-not) only creates the basis for the government to be able to monitor and control literally everything (aka, no detail of your life, except what's in your head would most likely be known).

I could foresee "accidents" being created by the government too...

and that's just the government side of things; imagine the threat of computer viruses to such a system, or power failure; talk about disaster. On top of this, but it'd end up being that you wouldn't be able to work on your own car anymore; you'd just about have to take it in to get it repaired (of course, the car companies have long wanted this, as it generates extra revenue for them).

Any other thoughts or comments?

ladyliberty
12-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Makes me glad I spent $500 for my new bike ! :D

Fox McCloud
12-25-2007, 08:20 AM
*bump*