PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine - 12/24/07...absolutely ridiculous

bobmurph
12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/2007/1101071224_400.jpg

I was just at Kroger and noticed the last weeks edition of Time Magazine at the checkout (Forgive me if this is a repost...I did a quick search and didn't see anything about this issue). As you can see from the cover the focus of the article is the GOP race. So I start skimming through. There were multiple articles about the GOP race, such as, "Can anyone win this thing?", "Huckabee Rising", "Rudy: All Business", and "The Run of an Also Ran". Not one mention of Ron Paul. Not even in the "also ran" article. They even write about Tancredo and Brownback in that article. Left Ron Paul out entirely in the "Can Anyone Win This Thing?" article only focusing on the "five major candidates". I'm not surprised...just aghast that Time can consider this honest reporting of the GOP race.

Even look at this quote in "The GOP Race: None of the above" by Michael Duffy

Still, it is hard to overestimate the moral and intellectual power outage that now darkens the G.O.P.. Long out of step with a majority of voters on such secondary issues as outlawing abortion and narrowing stem-cell research, Republicans have more recently managed to get themselves on the wrong side of popular trends on what were once old reliables: foreign policy, economics, energy, even health care. Iraq is still somewhat taboo in Republican debates, so fearful are the candidates that the situation in Baghdad might again deteriorate. Thanks to Katrina and several war-contracting scandals, the party has squandered its bragging rights on running a more efficient government. "We've lost, clearly, some of the moral high ground on the larger issues of taxes and spending," says South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford.

Ummmmm....Helloooo!!! Earth to Michael Duffy and Time Magazine!!! This would have been a perfect opportunity to talk about Paul...they even quote Mark Sanford who has a record of being the only other "No" vote on many bills when they were both in Congress together! Talk about dishonest reporting. I shouldn't be surprised considering they picked Vladamir Putin, of all people, as their Person of the Year.

thechitowncubs
12-24-2007, 03:30 PM
They'll wake up soon enough.

Antonius Stone
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
go to your local newsstand and pull out all the little time magazine subscription postcards from all the TIME magazines there

then stamp every postcard with your Ron Paul For President Stamper and mail it in to them

rory096
12-24-2007, 03:36 PM
go to your local newsstand and pull out all the little time magazine subscription postcards from all the TIME magazines there

then stamp every postcard with your Ron Paul For President Stamper and mail it in to them
Or actually be productive and make up for this lack of press coverage by convincing people to vote for Paul.

LibertiORDeth
12-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Hehe.

integrity
12-24-2007, 03:37 PM
or seed the mags with Ron Paul flyers

mokkan88
They wouldn't want Paul in there. He can compete with the Dems.

Antonius Stone
Or actually be productive and make up for this lack of press coverage by convincing people to vote for Paul.

like i have been doing? excuse you

akforme
12-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Great Idea, spread it!

Micahyah
12-24-2007, 03:40 PM
leaving him off just shows how terrified of him they are.

rory096
like i have been doing? excuse you
I'm not saying you're not, but pissing off the people who we want to talk positively about Paul isn't going to help.

Sey.Naci

then stamp every postcard with your Ron Paul For President Stamper and mail it in to themIsn't what you're proposing here (and in another thread) illegal? If you haven't purchased the magazine, it's not your property to damage or alter.

peter_lifton
12-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Hehe.

If they mentioned Paul it might attract hordes of new supporters, something an influential media company doesn't want.

jake
12-24-2007, 03:41 PM

this would be best

rory096
12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Isn't what you're proposing here (and in another thread) illegal? If you haven't purchased the magazine, it's not your property to damage or alter.
Yes.

louisiana4liberty
It would be great if they focused on Paul, but if everyone thought Paul was going to win then fewer people would show up to vote for him. Our lazy general public doesn't like to vote in general elections much less the primaries. I think the nation will be surprised after the NH and Iowa primaries. If we win New Hampshire they'll say we only won because of all the independents. They won't be able to refute a win in Iowa.

SlapItHigh
Yeah, I saw that. That is about as blatant as you can get...jacked up.

Antonius Stone
12-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Isn't what you're proposing here (and in another thread) illegal? If you haven't purchased the magazine, it's not your property to damage or alter.

Its only illegal if the person that owns the newsstands objects, and chances are that they really won't care. After all, people subscribing to magazines actually hurts their newsstand revenue, no? So would they really care if you just take all the subscription cards?
If they do care, then just stop doing it and move on to the next newsstand.

michaelwise
12-24-2007, 03:51 PM
What exactly is it that Time doesn't understand about this?
http://hosting03.imagecross.com/myspace-image-hosting-t/1258money.JPG

ThinkAwake
12-24-2007, 03:57 PM

I was just at Kroger and noticed the last weeks edition of Time Magazine at the checkout (Forgive me if this is a repost...I did a quick search and didn't see anything about this issue). As you can see from the cover the focus of the article is the GOP race. So I start skimming through. There were multiple articles about the GOP race, such as, "Can anyone win this thing?", "Huckabee Rising", "Rudy: All Business", and "The Run of an Also Ran". Not one mention of Ron Paul. Not even in the "also ran" article. They even write about Tancredo and Brownback in that article. Left Ron Paul out entirely in the "Can Anyone Win This Thing?" article only focusing on the "five major candidates". I'm not surprised...just aghast that Time can consider this honest reporting of the GOP race.

Ummmmm....Helloooo!!! Earth to Michael Duffy and Time Magazine!!! This would have been a perfect opportunity to talk about Paul...they even quote Mark Sanford who has a record of being the only other "No" vote on many bills when they were both in Congress together! Talk about dishonest reporting. I shouldn't be surprised considering they picked Vladamir Putin, of all people, as their Person of the Year.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=64475

SlapItHigh
12-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I rarely participate in any efforts to contact media after smear jobs or any other time but I have decided to write/email/call Time about this. There is just no excuse as this was clearly a blatant attempt to fool the people into thinking that a candidate does not exist. It isn't like they only touched on "top tier", they wrote about those that aren't doing as well either. The whole issue was full of articles about the election.

bobmurph
12-24-2007, 04:01 PM
I rarely participate in any efforts to contact media after smear jobs or any other time but I have decided to write/email/call Time about this. There is just no excuse as this was clearly a blatant attempt to fool the people into thinking that a candidate does not exist. It isn't like they only touched on "top tier", they wrote about those that aren't doing as well either. The whole issue was full of articles about the election.

letters@time.com

TSOL
12-24-2007, 04:03 PM
The Media will jump on board as soon as they realize the tide has turned.

I agree with he thread starter; it is sad for them not to mention Mr Paul. MSM is gutless and journalist oughta be ashamed to call themselves journalists. They report what hey are told to report.

francisco
12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Its only illegal if the person that owns the newsstands objects, and chances are that they really won't care. After all, people subscribing to magazines actually hurts their newsstand revenue, no? So would they really care if you just take all the subscription cards?

So are you going to ask the newsstand owner for permission first, or only stop if he catches you?

Your sensitivity to property rights seems to be less than robust.

urimind
12-24-2007, 04:06 PM
1-866-550-6934 is the customer support number. Get to calling! Oh... and a big a$$ blump.

Paulitician
12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Tough...

rory096
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
So it's only illegal to steal someone's TV if they object?

MsDoodahs
12-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Can someone who has a copy of that magazine please PM me with a list of full page advertisers?

I refuse to buy such trash.

Spideynw
12-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I just cannot wait until Ron Paul gets in as president, gets rid of the FCC, and then the MSM has to actually start competing. They will lose big time.

constitutional
12-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Time Magazine is a left magazine. They called Ron Paul Isolationist earlier. Talk about a smear job.

Oh, I won't spent one more cent on Time Magazine. :)

Antonius Stone
So it's only illegal to steal someone's TV if they object?

if they knowingly didn't object then it wouldn't be stealing, now would it?

now if they didn't object because they didn't know (ie: burglary) then that's a different story.

SlapItHigh
Can someone who has a copy of that magazine please PM me with a list of full page advertisers?

Yes! This is the way to go.

louisiana4liberty
12-24-2007, 04:14 PM

+1

Eponym_mi
12-24-2007, 04:15 PM
This is old news really, but I wrote a letter when my issue arrived.

In a way, I think it is funny because it almost seems like they're hedging their bet. Since, they didn't put him in the top tier and they didn't put him in the also rans, it looks like they don't know what to think about Ron Paul.

rory096
if they knowingly didn't object then it wouldn't be stealing, now would it?

now if they didn't object because they didn't know (ie: burglary) then that's a different story.
Oh, so you're going to ask the store owner beforehand? That's OK, then, though I still think it'll just serve to piss off Time.

xCakex
As other users have suggested, I think seeding Time magazine with flyers for Ron Paul is the best way to get him out there.

francisco
12-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh, so you're going to ask the store owner beforehand? That's OK, then, though I still think it'll just serve to piss off Time.

No, he hasn't said that. I challenged him on that point before your post, and he hasn't responded.

bobmurph
12-24-2007, 04:18 PM

Yeah...I wasn't about to buy it...i just placed it back where it belongs....behind a stack of "In Style" on the bottom shelf.

bobmurph
12-24-2007, 04:19 PM
This is old news really, but I wrote a letter when my issue arrived.

In a way, I think it is funny because it almost seems like they're hedging their bet. Since, they didn't put him in the top tier and they didn't put him in the also rans, it looks like they don't know what to think about Ron Paul.

Did you cancel your subscription?

RSLudlum
12-24-2007, 04:20 PM
"We've lost, clearly, some of the moral high ground on the larger issues of taxes and spending," says South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford.

This statement was made by Sanford while on the Tucker show and the subject matter was about Ron Paul's campaigning issues. Did they even state this fact??

Alex Libman
12-24-2007, 04:20 PM
This is FUBAR! They ignore the candidate who wins all the online / txt msg polls and who gets the most money?!?! The only thing they have to go on is polling of 2004 Bush donors who sit by their landline all day!

Write letters to the editor and do what Antonius Stone suggested, but that's not enough. The MSM cannot run our lives forever! Cancel all your subscriptions, including television, and get all your news and entertainment through the Internet! Pirate shamelessly, and encourage others to do the same. In doing otherwise, you are feeding the propaganda machine that is keeping us enslaved!

bobmurph
12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
This statement was made by Sanford while on the Tucker show and the subject matter was about Ron Paul's campaigning issues. Did they even state this fact??

Link to the article

h ttp://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1694094,00.html

angelatc
12-24-2007, 04:30 PM

I think this is a grand idea! That's so funny!

pacelli
12-24-2007, 04:49 PM

Done.

ThePieSwindler
12-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I thought we were far far beyond the "first they ignore you" part of that gandhi quote... maybe attaacking him just isnt working, and ridiculing isn't working, so they are going back to the drawing board...

Victrix
12-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Wow, just wow.....

I am gonna be laughing my ass off at Time and the rest of the MSM come Jan 3rd when Ron comes in at least 3rd in the Iowa Caucus.

All I gotta say for now is 'Thank you' Time magazine for motivating me even further to want to expose you as the out of touch and irrelevant idoits you are.

Now back to making literature packets and stuffing them into doorknob bags to distribute after X-mas....

- An Iowa voter

RevolutionSD
12-24-2007, 05:19 PM

Time is CFR-run. Ultimately they will do everything in their power to prevent a Ron Paul presidency. This is the type of journalism I expect from them.

Cyclone
12-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Ah come on, that is funny.

jj111
12-24-2007, 05:58 PM
I thought we were far far beyond the "first they ignore you" part of that gandhi quote... maybe attaacking him just isnt working, and ridiculing isn't working, so they are going back to the drawing board...

I think when it comes to politics, by the time they are at the fighting stage, they try to mix up the strategies: ignore, ridicicule, AND/OR fight you. As so-called multi-pronged approach.

ExpatinArgentina
12-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Didn't Time Magazine just name Putin, the most corrupt politician and richest man in Europe, "Man of the Year"?

Antonius Stone
12-24-2007, 06:03 PM

that's the idea though. I think we need to realize by now that the MSM cannot be converted to serve the genuine public interest and there needs to be an all-out media war. The Youtube Libertarian-Internets party versus Corporate Lies.

They need to be wiped out, and I think the most effective way we can do this is to both reject their propaganda and thumb our noses at their ineffective attempts at deception

Thom1776
12-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Slip a slim jim into every copy of that Time magazine.

jj111
12-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Digg this:

http://www.digg.com/2008_us_elections/Time_Magazine_Discredits_Itself

bobmurph
12-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Digg this:

http://www.digg.com/2008_us_elections/Time_Magazine_Discredits_Itself

dugg

noztnac
12-24-2007, 06:33 PM
That's bad but look on the bright side. They could have put Giuliani, Romney, or Huckabee. The fact they didn't proves we are winning.

Lord Xar
12-24-2007, 06:35 PM
what is the name of the writer, and what is 'their' background... curious if the pattern is being held up.

Menthol Patch
12-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree. They are TERRIFIED of Ron Paul!

niall
12-24-2007, 06:53 PM

Good idea!

derdy
12-24-2007, 07:02 PM
1939 Time Man of the Year - Adolf Hitler

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1939/1101390102_400.jpg

Here's a link to the 7 page article from Time, Monday Jan. 2 1939

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760539-1,00.html

Energy
12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
On page 3 of http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1694094,00.html

"McCain, already 71, would be the oldest President in history."

McCain: August 29, 1936 (age 71)
Paul: August 20, 1935 (age 72)

Ronald Reagan was 77 during the last year of his presidency.

Unbelievable.

Video of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItkxmZJ40g

SlapItHigh
12-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Putting Slim Jims inside is a great idea but I don't know how effective it would be since most magazines largest base is subscribers (need high subscription #s to get $$advertisers).

maiki
12-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Didn't Time Magazine just name Putin, the most corrupt politician and richest man in Europe, "Man of the Year"?

Man of the year does not mean "Best" man of the year. Just most influential, in their minds.

That said, Time annoys me and I avoid it at all costs.

Jodi
12-26-2007, 09:13 PM
That's bad but look on the bright side. They could have put Giuliani, Romney, or Huckabee. The fact they didn't proves we are winning.

I agree!!! There is a front runner, someone who has broken away from the pack and his name is Ron Paul. The media doesn't want anyone to know that information. But I am afraid that they will let us win IA and NH to placate us then come in and steal the nomination for rudy.

fedup100
12-26-2007, 09:21 PM
The longer they can say there is no front runner the longer they can water down Paul's numbers and protect their choice from attack. They aren't stupid, they are cunning.

They have underestimated Paul's support though, it may have left the door wide open for a sweeping Paulapalooza win.

God I pray let it be so.