PDA

View Full Version : Mccain campaign manager and strategist quits - breaking news on CNN

akalucas
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Mccain's head campaign manager and strategist John Weaver quits. This is breaking news on MSNBC and CNN right now. Hopefully this is a sign that his campaign is about to end. If this is the case I believe this will be great news for Paul. It will show that Republicans are really getting tired of this war to the point that any candidate that supports the war is doomed to fail.

mconder
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
It's hard to run a campaign when your candidate is blowing all your money.

Bradley in DC
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Not really Ron Paul news and discussion, wrong thread.

remaxjon
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM

I don't know this could be bad for Paul. McCain could become the new anti war candidate.

Noodles
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
McCain's campaign manager, strategist leave
Both say they still support one-time leading GOP presidential candidate
BREAKING NEWS
The Associated Press
Updated: 10:24 a.m. CT July 10, 2007
WASHINGTON - John McCain's campaign manager and chief strategist are gone from their leadership roles, a major staff shake-up for the struggling Republican presidential candidate who is all but broke and trails in opinion polls.

In statements, Terry Nelson, a veteran of President Bush's successful 2004 re-election effort, said he resigned as campaign manager effective immediately and John Weaver said he stepped down from his post of chief strategist on Tuesday. But other officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid discussing private conversations, said Nelson was fired.

Two officials said Rick Davis, a longtime aide to McCain, will take over the campaign.

Written statements from both departing staffers say they still support McCain for president.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve Senator McCain and work on his campaign," Nelson said. "I believe John McCain is the most experienced and prepared candidate to represent the Republican Party and defeat the Democratic nominee next year."

Weaver said: "It has been my honor and a distinct privilege to serve someone who has always put our country first. I believe that most Americans will come to the conclusion that I have long known there is only one person equipped to serve as our nation's chief executive and deal with the challenges we face, and that person is John McCain."

So far there has not been a statement from Sen. McCain himself.

Check back for more on this breaking story.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19694078/from/RS.1/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2007 MSNBC.com

sunny
07-10-2007, 09:46 AM

indirectly it is....

sunny
07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
this was expected and i'm happy that it finally has happened. one down!
even if he changed his war stance - who's gonna believe him?

dr. paul is right! people don't want the damn war anymore!!!

DeadheadForPaul
07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I think this will really help us. A lot of McCain's supporters were moderate Republicans, independents and to a lesser extent, Democrats. Paul is the only remaining voice in the party who could reach out to independents. The Neocon candidates are splitting the neo-con vote. Moderate Repubs, Libertarian Repubs, Independents and Dems are up for grabs!

MozoVote
07-10-2007, 09:53 AM
It is usually a sign of a campaign on the ropes, when the manager or lead strategist leave. It will introduce something of a "spasm" within his organization as they adjust to new leadership. And it's more bad news on the fundraising front. People are very reluctant to back a campaign in turmoil.

paulitics
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't know if this helps us much. These are all votes going to giuliani and thompson, 2 pro war candidates. Mccain is prowar, amnesty, about as far away from RP as possible. I'm hoping Fred Thompson does officillay enter soon, so Romtompsliani has to split the war vote.

Santana28
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I think he'll basically sit around and rely on the free press he gets by being an active senator, and see how much cash comes in this quarter before deciding. You never know... maybe his contributors will see that he needs help, and kick it up some. Maybe he's making special deals with PAC's and will get an influx from them. Who knows. But it would be too embarrasing for him to step down so soon - i think he'll wait til the next quarter announcements at the very least... even if he's the only one left on his staff ;)

Erazmus
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
You think he'll drop before the next debate? ABC is doing the next one in early August, right?

jj111
07-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I think McCain will not drop out of the debate. Why would he? Lots of free publicity for him.

Dary
07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
They say that his supporters are trying to get him to reconsider his stance on the Iraq war.

I just don’t see how he can do that and it doesn’t look like he is going to.

He has been the biggest pro-war blowhard out of all of them. How could he possibly just flip his position on this?

some are suggesting that he say "ALL of my rivals support the war. I’m not the only one."

Which if you ask me would do nothing but take them down with him. Which is where they are headed anyway.

Bradley in DC
07-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I don't know this could be bad for Paul. McCain could become the new anti war candidate.

Sorry for the confusion, I was just suggesting the thread be moved from "Ron Paul" news to the general section (which it has been).

However, since you asked, I do want McCain in there dividing the pro-war vote through NH. It also helps having someone else (and with his stature as a former POW) opposing torture.

Bradley in DC
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
It is usually a sign of a campaign on the ropes, when the manager or lead strategist leave. It will introduce something of a "spasm" within his organization as they adjust to new leadership. And it's more bad news on the fundraising front. People are very reluctant to back a campaign in turmoil.

Yes, exactly, and his campaign has been in a constant spasm with state coordinators and others leaving the campaign in a constant revolving door. The guy is not easy to work for, personally.

Kuldebar
07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

What? How does this news indicate anything like that?

ADGettis
07-11-2007, 12:06 AM
…enter soon, so Romtompsliani has to split…

Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

torchbearer
07-11-2007, 12:11 AM

Very insightful, perhaps you should join Spirit of '76 as writers for our group.

rpf2008
07-11-2007, 12:23 AM
I feel bad for Mr. McCain, I have respect for him.

rockfree33
07-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I feel bad for Mr. McCain, I have respect for him.

I can't respect a candidate who is blind to truth of the failure of the Iraq War. If it were up to him, he would stay until the "terrorists" just say, "We surrender! You win!" which will NEVER happen. Look at how long wars go on in the Middle East, it's never ending. We need to get out of Iraq ASAP!