PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL door to door HOW TO thread

giskard
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
If there's already another thread, someone pls. let me know.

We need a thread with tips and "how to" guides.
We're down to the wire. We are an army, and if we all went out door to door, the Primaries would be a slam dunk!

Here's a terrific how-to video:
http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/canvassing
Go through it.

And here's what worked for me:

KNOCK. pause. KNOCK (Man/woman pair supposedly works best)
If nobody's home, leave a flyer with bullet points of Ron's stands.
SMILE. Step back a little bit. Say Hello, I'm from the neighborhood.
BE ENTHUSIASTIC.

I'm here volunteering for the '08 elections, do you plan to vote?
(No mention of Paul yet, despite the Ron Paul hat. People feel guilty about not voting so this is to get them to say yes)
If they say I'm not a citizen, say "OK well spread the word among your friends, this man wants to shut the Iraq war down immediately", and give a flyer.

Chances are they will say yes they will vote.
"Do you plan to vote in the primaries?" (Answer doesn't really matter)
"Have you heard about our hero, Congressman Ron Paul? Can I tell you a bit about him?"
(Reach out with the flyer, get them to hold it and lean towards you)

ALTERNATE BETWEEN "DR PAUL" and "CONGRESSMAN RON PAUL"

"He's a retired doc, delivered 4,000 babies, has served 10 terms in Congress, is running from president, and will bring our troops home immediately. He voted against the Iraq war even back in '98 under Bill Clinton"
"In 20 years in Congress he's never voted to increase taxes or spending"
"We don't need another lawyer in the White House. I used to be apathetic, and never cared about politics until I heard of Ron Paul. And now here I am knocking door to door - I've never done this before. The media is so corrupt that they won't discuss him, because they want a corruptible politician in office" (A surprising number of people agree with this statement)

At this point you can go through a few points on the bullet list on the flyer they are holding. Let the flyer do the talking.

Be a little personal, like "I'm tired of politics as usual", or "I'm afraid of the direction the country's going"

Stick in a joke or two - a few that work are:

THE REASON CONGRESSMAN PAUL IS SO SKINNY IS HE REFUSES TO LET LOBBYISTS BUY HIM LUNCH.

AMERICA IS SICK AND NEEDS A DOCTOR, NOT A LAWYER. WOULD YOU TRUST A DOCTOR OR A LAWYER?

I USED TO BE REGISTERED WITH THE APATHY PARTY, BUT JUST TO VOTE FOR HIM IN THE PRIMARIES I'M SWITCHING PARTIES TEMPORARILY .... I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO TAKE A SHOWER AFTERWARDS.

Practice a few lines in order to tailor the spiel a bit -
if it's older folk: "He never voted to spend a penny of Social Security for non Social Security expenditures"

younger voters: "He wants to allow young people to opt out of Social Security if they feel it won't do them any good"

and so on.

Some more lines that gets people's attention:
"4 years ago he warned of a coming dollar, debt, and economic crisis because of the Federal Reserve's reckless policies"

"He also wants to end the FEDERAL INCOME TAX ON WAGES" If they wonder, explain that the income tax pays for interest on the debt. Gas tax pays for roads, property tax pays for schools. Income tax is 1/3rd of the gov't income, remaining income would balance the year 2000 budget - don't tell me gov't can't cut spending back to that of year 2000!

"He consistently voted against any restrictions of our freedom, such as the Patriot Act, spying powers, etc. The Patriot Act allows federal agents to write their own warrants, without a judge!"

One thing that really helps is to have TWO PEOPLE, so if you miss out a good point, the other can interject. Though I've done a lot of homes by myself.

Another thing that REALLY helps is to do role playing with your buddy. Take turns pretending to be the person who answers the door. Do it several times, pretending to have different reactions. This helps a LOT.

You need to STRESS THE POINT that their vote in the primaries counts a LOT MORE. Stress that they need to mail in their republican registration ASAP (as the case may be) so they can vote in the primaries.

If they find registering republican offensive remind them you do too (as the case may be), and that 2/3rd's of Paul's supporters did NOT vote republican in the last election, and are registering rep JUST for these primaries, and will switch back right afterwards. Remind them the Dems had their chance in the Senate and House, and have done nothing.

It is surprising how many people are receptive to Ron Paul's message. The people who are rude or are not interested is a SMALL percentage.

Don't do this for your country. Do it for yourself and your family. I am doing it because I CANNOT know about the danger facing all of us, yet do nothing. One of the worst feelings is "coulda shoulda woulda". Remember, evil happens because good men do nothing.