View Full Version : Judges OK warrantless monitoring of Web use

Mesogen
07-10-2007, 09:17 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/07/BAGMNQSJDA1.DTL

Judges OK warrantless monitoring of Web use
Privacy rules don't apply to Internet messages, court says

Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Federal agents do not need a search warrant to monitor a suspect's computer use and determine the e-mail addresses and Web pages the suspect is contacting, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.

In a drug case from San Diego County, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco likened computer surveillance to the "pen register" devices that officers use to pinpoint the phone numbers a suspect dials, without listening to the phone calls themselves.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of pen registers in 1979, saying callers have no right to conceal from the government the numbers they communicate electronically to the phone companies that carry their calls.

Federal law requires court approval for a pen register. But because it is not considered a search, authorities do not need a search warrant, which would require them to show that the surveillance is likely to produce evidence of a crime.

They also do not need a wiretap order, which would require them to show that less intrusive methods of surveillance have failed or would be futile.

What to think of this? Do people have a right to privacy when it comes to information about who they email or message on the internet? Should cops be able to see a log of all your web activity so long as the content of the messages are not surveilled?

The big question to me is if it violates the 4th amendment. I guess it wouldn't since the address logs are not yours, they are the ISP's.

BravoSix
07-10-2007, 09:53 AM
The big question to me is if it violates the 4th amendment. I guess it wouldn't since the address logs are not yours, they are the ISP's.

In a manner of speaking.

The question is: Do you, the end user, have a reasonable expectation of privacy in those logs? One could argue that you do not, as you voluntarily provide such information to a whole host of various computers as the information is routed across the 'net.

On the flip side, one could argue that you do have an absolute protection against such intrusions, as they do constitute a search, and you do have a reasonable expectation of privacy by the common perception that the internet offers a rather high degree of anonymity.

I tend to agree with the latter point.

Mesogen
07-12-2007, 03:15 AM
I think the judges are likening these logs to a hotel register. If you sign your name in the book, that shows that you were there.

torchbearer
07-12-2007, 03:18 AM
The government doesn't have the right to the information unless a judge says they do... and then it must be specific... as in... you can find records of Mr. Jones on googles database.
Google themselves can do what they want with the info because you give them that right by using THEIR software to search the net.

Mesogen
07-12-2007, 03:27 AM
But are these registers publicly accessible or do they have to be "tapped?"