PDA

View Full Version : Just wrote an LTE for my local paper

jgmaynard
12-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I just wrote the following letter to my local paper (Peterborough Transcript). I had to keep it to 400 words. Let me know what you think:

Ron Paul Stands for NH Values

To the Editor:

New Hampshire has a spirit of individualism and independence not found in many states, or Presidential candidates. I am one of those proud Granite State independents who votes for the person and not the party, looking for a candidate who most closely exemplifies New Hampshire values.
This election, I have found that candidate – Congressman Ron Paul.
We see the effects of a lack of broad-based tax in this state every day – as businesses jump east from Vermont, and as Massachusetts consumers ride north to save money by not paying sales tax. Ron Paul would end the Federal Income Tax and not instate a sales tax – withdrawing the troops currently stationed worldwide to protect rich countries, like Germany and Japan, would save much of the money needed to end the Income Tax.
Dr. Paul is also the only major Republican candidate with a commitment to end the senseless wars that are bleeding us dry. The war in Iraq is causing us to borrow three billion dollars a day from China – one trillion dollars a year – that will be passed, with compound interest, onto our children. When that debt does not cover the costs of war, we print more money, en masse, with nothing to back it up. Throughout history this has often been a recipe for economic disaster. Ron Paul would allow families to protect their life savings in gold and silver currencies.
Here in a state where we protect and defend personal freedom, Paul will work to repeal the areas of the misnamed PATRIOT Act that infringe upon our rights and freedoms as private citizens, including search and seizure without a warrant and the loss of Habeas Corpus. Ron Paul will keep the Federal government from peaking in our bank accounts, on the internet, or in our bedrooms.
Commonsense legislation introduced this year by Ron Paul includes an act to make all tips earned tax-free to help people, including college kids, working in service industries. To make college more affordable, he has also introduced a bill to make all college expenses tax-deductible for students and parents. He has been consistently pro-gun rights through twenty years in Congress, has never voted for a tax increase and he voted against the Iraq War and the PATRIOT Act from the beginning.
I urge everyone reading this to vote for the candidate who truly represents New Hampshire values: Ron Paul.

James Maynard
Temple, NH 03084

jgmaynard
12-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I got confirmation the letter above will be in the largest paper in this area of the state right before the election. :)

Also, I just sent a version of this to the Union Leader (letters@unionleader.com - NH writers stand a much better chance of getting in if you wanna write one). It had to be 200 words or less - 200 exactly. :D

RON PAUL STANDS FOR NH VALUES

To the Editors:

We New Hampshire Independents are a diverse lot, for sure. But there are a few tings nearly all of us agree upon: the advantages of avoiding broad-based taxes, keeping government small an accountable to the people and protecting personal liberty. In my opinion, there is only one candidate running who believes in all of these principles and has a track record of faithfully supporting each: Dr. Ron Paul.
Whereas other Republican candidates speak of small government and family values, they support the War in Iraq and beyond. War is the ultimate big government project; those of us who do not lose our children to wars in far distant lands will be saddling them with a trillion dollars a year in debt, plus compound interest. Only Ron Paul is a vote for small government.
Paul will work to eliminate the Federal Income Tax and replace it with nothing, creating the largest economic boom in history. No other candidate offers this opportunity for middle-class Americans to rise, instead of plummet, in the coming years.
Dr. Ron Paul will also strive tirelessly to reinstate the rights of Americans taken away by the PATRIOT Act.
Vote for New Hampshire values – vote for Ron Paul.

James Maynard
Temple, NH

JM

Kingfisher
12-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Very good, Patriot.

jgmaynard
12-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Thank you. :) I live fairly near Nashua, so I also sent the 200 word version to the Nashua Telegraph, as well.

I actually wanted to make the "Ron Paul Stands for NH values" motif a video, as well, but I didn't. - Oh well.

JM

jgmaynard
12-31-2007, 04:07 PM
The letter was printed in the paper today - I believe this is the last copy of the paper that will have Presidential letters in it (they're not running any the week before the primary). If that's true, I believe I got it timed correctly for maximum impact. :)

So in addition to my letter, there was also one for McCain, one for Richardson, two for Obama and one for Joe Walsh. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/jgmaynard/RPLetter071231.jpg

JM

AgentPaul001
12-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Awesome Job!

Looks great.

jgmaynard
01-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks!

And I just found out yesterday (though it feels like last year ;) ) that it is also going to run in the Nashua Telegraph, the main paper for NH's second largest city. :)

JM