PDA

View Full Version : How Many New Supporters Came to RP After Russert?

Captain Shays
12-24-2007, 08:15 AM
I know this is just speculation but maybe it isn't if we can find some numbers as to how Ron Paul's poll, money, meetup numbers were effected by the interview yesterday.

Ever since the interview I wondered how many new supporters would come to RP after hearing him speak about the issues or how many might have been turned off by him. When he spoke of legalizing drugs and getting the federal govt out of the war on drugs, I would think it would make national headlines. Its as radical to the average American as any issue I can think of. To other candidates to even mention legalizing madical marijuana or industrial hemp is likened to politicial suicide yet Ron Paul clearly states that he would want to decriminalize or even legalize ALL drugs and so far, I haven't heard a thing about that.

Today on the Bill Bennet show I heard his substitute Kevin Wahl ranting and raving about what a nut case Ron Paul is for wanting to end all nation welfare and bring all our troops home. We all know that the neocon talking heads are trying like all get out to discredit Ron Paul and convince as many people as they can to ignore, him, marginalize him and never under anu circumstances cast a vote for him. We also know it doesn't seem to be working. Thank God! LOL.

So how and when will we know the effects of the national attention on Russert?

Scribbler de Stebbing
12-24-2007, 08:30 AM
In Minnesota, 2.5 to 3 times the daily average donated or otherwise signed up yesterday.

Ozwest
12-24-2007, 08:34 AM
It's almost like Ron Paul is in the wrong party.

Dems and Ind's would have been swayed towards Ron Paul after the MTP interview.

It's a pity open primaries aren't in every state!

atariman486
12-24-2007, 09:13 AM
I think it's inaccurate to say he wants to "legalize ALL drugs." As I understand it he wants to end the federal war on drugs and leave the decision up to the states. Thus, California, where medical marijuana is legal, wouldn't have their law-abiding citizens raided by the DEA.

Ozwest
12-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Crooks and Liars (left wing Dem) had a video of the interview on their site, and the comments section went through the roof.

As I said earlier, Ron's got huge x-party appeal.

thisisgiparti
12-24-2007, 09:22 AM

It's a pity open primaries aren't in every state!

I have heard this a lot, but I think most of Ron Paul's support comes from disenfranchised Republicans seeking to regain their party. I think the Democrats and Independents were drawn to us early on by Ron Paul's antiwar stance.

At this point, it seems like more Republicans are coming over. With good news about the Iraq war, I think many Americans feel better about the troops coming home. There is less substance to the "honor" argument. No one wants war with Iran. Ron Paul has been on the money about that; he has been backed up by many experts including the NIE report.

I think Ron Paul is enjoying a surge in credibility despite the MSM. His slow climb in more traditional polls and slipping support for his opponents indicate these new voters and donors may be old-fashioned pachyderms. A very wide-open race and split support for the other candidates means Ron Paul has a real shot at the nomination.

Hangly Man
12-24-2007, 09:26 AM
My own opinion is that right now there's probably no such thing as bad exposure.

No one is going to make a decision based on one TV appearance. What will happen is that people will hear the name and their curiosity will compel them to investigate, which will lead them here.

Remember that since the Iraq war the American people don't trust the media at all.

Ozwest
12-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I have heard this a lot, but I think most of Ron Paul's support comes from disenfranchised Republicans seeking to regain their party. I think the Democrats and Independents were drawn to us early on by Ron Paul's antiwar stance.

At this point, it seems like more Republicans are coming over. With good news about the Iraq war, I think many Americans feel better about the troops coming home. There is less substance to the "honor" argument. No one wants war with Iran. Ron Paul has been on the money about that; he has been backed up by many experts including the NIE report.

I think Ron Paul is enjoying a surge in credibility despite the MSM. His slow climb in more traditional polls and slipping support for his opponents indicate these new voters and donors may be old-fashioned pachyderms. A very wide-open race and split support for the other candidates means Ron Paul has a real shot at the nomination.
Agreed, but open primaries are still a bonus.

My point also illustrates his strength in a general election.

I'm sure you're aware of this already...

Hangly Man
12-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Hey, some of us left-leaning independents have been aware of Dr. Paul for a very long time, thank you very much ;)

You're right about the wrong party, but what are you going to do? There are no Integrity or Responsibility parties. I never thought I would (shudder) register as a Republican, and the thought of an R next to my name makes my skin crawl, but our future is too important to be caught up in labels. I'm sure other thinking people will feel the same way.

Ozwest
12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey, some of us left-leaning independents have been aware of Dr. Paul for a very long time, thank you very much ;)

You're right about the wrong party, but what are you going to do? There are no Integrity or Responsibility parties. I never thought I would (shudder) register as a Republican, and the thought of an R next to my name makes my skin crawl, but our future is too important to be caught up in labels. I'm sure other thinking people will feel the same way.
I'm an x-Dem.

Ron has a very similar platform to Dems, especially left leaning ones.

Once you convince them of the economic issues and affordability, it's a slam dunk on conversion.

Bleeding hearts can see the light.:)

Ozwest
12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Sort of why so many Kucinich supporters like Ron Paul, and vice versa.

Ron has the economic side covered, Dennis doesn't.

thisisgiparti
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Agreed, but open primaries are still a bonus.

My point also illustrates his strength in a general election.

I'm sure you're aware of this already...

You're a few steps ahead of me :o , but I agree. Open primaries could only help. There is crossover appeal for Ron Paul, but a lot of attacks are coming from the Democrats now for exactly this reason.

btw, I think that's a good thing. It also may explain the skewed media coverage.