PDA

View Full Version : NAACP Presidential Forum Thursday?

anewvoice
07-10-2007, 05:37 AM
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/NEWS06/707100372&theme=NAACP072007

This is the first time I've heard of this, and I live here.

rockfree33
07-10-2007, 05:50 AM
I wonder why the Republicans are staying away from the NAACP?

LizF
07-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Hmmm....I'm wondering if all candidates did in fact receive an invitation.

I imagine that several of the Republicans opted out since they figured they wouldn't stand a chance in the NAACP forum with popular Democratic candidates such as Hillary & Obama. Moreover, the Dems' message would probably be better received because certain aspects of their platform (e.g. social programs; affirmative action), would be more likely to appeal to the audience--in contrast with the Republican platform. Just a guess though.

walt
07-10-2007, 06:39 AM
ask the reporter to check.

BigSteve
07-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Ron Paul shouldn't go to this forum even if he was invited. The NAACP is a race-baiting organization that wants special privileges for Blacks. They are for unconstitutional legislation such as "hate" crime laws. Of course they think Blacks aren't capable of "hate" and think these laws should be used for Whites only.
This forum consists of which candidate can pander to the Blacks the most.
I have read somewhere that Ron Paul is against this form of collectivism ,that the NAACP does, anyway.

Noodles
07-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I think he should go, and explain his views. Even if the audience turns a deaf ear, they could never claim that Ron Paul ignored them. And think of the publicity we could get: " Ron Paul only Republican to speak at NAACP forum". We need publicity.

LibertyEagle
07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't know enough about the NAACP to say, but Dr. Paul needs to get out there and talk to minorities. His message will resonate across the political spectrum and the racial lines constructed in our country to keep We the People, divided. We need to get the message to them.

ChristopherJ
07-10-2007, 07:11 AM
I think he should go, and explain his views. Even if the audience turns a deaf ear, they could never claim that Ron Paul ignored them. And think of the publicity we could get: " Ron Paul only Republican to speak at NAACP forum". We need publicity.

I would tend to agree. Besides, Dr. Paul has a way of "making sense" when he speaks to people. Sometimes people just have to let what he says perkolate for a while.

specsaregood
07-10-2007, 07:13 AM
It would be hard; but If Ron Paul showed up for that debate I would admire him even more. Ron Paul has a message that crosses racial lines and needs to be heard.

I don't know if it is too late for him to go, but I would like to know IF he was invited and if he was, then why he chose not to attend.

I might imagine that the NAACP represents collectivism which he is against, BUT addressing such a group is a great opportunity to educate.

david.griffus
07-10-2007, 07:16 AM
The NAACP is almost irrelvant as a political body these days. I wouldn't worry too much about that one. Too much infighting there. The only thing they do now is give out awards.

BigSteve
07-10-2007, 07:22 AM
The NAACP won't like what Ron Paul has to say because he speaks a message of freedom and liberty. The NAACP doesn't like that because their rhetoric won't hold up in a truly free constitutional republic. Pandering to any race-based voting bloc is not Ron Paul is about. Ron Paul's voting bloc is true, patriotic Americans.
The NAACP should be avoided and not given any legitimacy.

Noodles
07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
With all due respect, I put forth that no American should be deprived of Dr. Paul's message. Each citizen has the liberty to make up his own mind, but this message is one for THE PEOPLE.

While denying any intent of sacrilege, I would remind you that Jesus of Nazareth dined with sinners, as they were the ones that needed the message he carried. Of course, he had trouble delivering his message to the priests (neocons) as well. We are like his 12 disciples, going out to spread the good news.
They were ridiculed, some were put to death. But history changed forever.

Wow, did I write that? What was in this coffee?

Suzu
07-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I hope Ron Paul attends this event. I believe his message will resonate well with ANYONE.

Side note: there's a video of Dennis Kucinich talking to a mostly black audience and singing them a verse from "Sixteen Tons". He's even a half-decent singer (but I'm sure Ron Paul is better).

:) :)

BigSteve
07-10-2007, 07:55 AM
With all due respect, I put forth that no American should be deprived of Dr. Paul's message. Each citizen has the liberty to make up his own mind, but this message is one for THE PEOPLE.

While denying any intent of sacrilege, I would remind you that Jesus of Nazareth dined with sinners, as they were the ones that needed the message he carried. Of course, he had trouble delivering his message to the priests (neocons) as well. We are like his 12 disciples, going out to spread the good news.

I agree that no American should be deprived of Ron Paul's message but there should be limitations to which forum Dr.Paul uses to spread his message. What if Ron Paul was invited to speak at a KKK rally? Should he go to deliver his message then?

Noodles
07-10-2007, 08:05 AM
LOL. No, that's when we send Walter Williams (and about 2,000 bodyguards).

specsaregood
07-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I think RP showing up would be a POWERFUL statement. I'm gonna call the campaign and ask about it.

Noodles
07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Please post their response.

specsaregood
07-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Please post their response.

Scheduling conflict. RP was already scheduled to go to California on Friday and there was no way for him to be in Detroit on Thursday for the event. He DID receive the invitation to this event.

They said that they have a few other invitations to other NAACP events and are deciding which/if any RP can attend.

And to add: he has NO objection to attending any NAACP events.

Noodles
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks. Wish we could send a proxy. That was mentioned as one valid reason for choosing a running mate early in the process.

ronpaulitician
07-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Scheduling conflict. RP was already scheduled to go to California on Friday and there was no way for him to be in Detroit on Thursday for the event. He DID receive the invitation to this event.
When was the invite for the NAACP forum received? The Google invite wasn't confirmed until July 6.

angelatc
07-14-2007, 07:22 PM

Tancredo went to the NAACP debate in Ohio and got a standing ovation just for showing up.

The problems in the black community can't be solved by government, and they have to be waking up to that.

Plus, Dr Paul is their best hope to get the young male drug offenders out of prison back home and into jobs.

angelatc
07-14-2007, 07:24 PM
They should tell us when that happens so we can go pass out literature at the places he could not attend.

foofighter20x
07-14-2007, 07:55 PM
When was the invite for the NAACP forum received? The Google invite wasn't confirmed until July 6.

Doesn't matter. Even if the Google invite were only informal, chances are that the necessary reservations/purchases were made by the campaign and the event put on the schedule by the time NAACP invite was received.

Besides, where did you get the July 6 date? it was announced last month (like around or before 29 June) that he was going to Google.

ronpaulitician
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Doesn't matter. Even if the Google invite were only informal, chances are that the necessary reservations/purchases were made by the campaign and the event put on the schedule by the time NAACP invite was received.
Possible. Also possible that other events were already planned. Still, it'd be nice to find this kind of information out, because there will be people who will question the absence of the GOP candidates, including Paul, at the NAACP forum.

Besides, where did you get the July 6 date? it was announced last month (like around or before 29 June) that he was going to Google.
July 6 date was first hit I got when searching Google for "Google invites Ron Paul" (http://blog.lewrockwell.com/lewrw/archives/013969.html)

foofighter20x
07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
On www.dailypaul.com I can find an earlier announcement of 26 June.

I can name that tune in 4 notes. :p

wecandoit
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Agreed, no doubt that RP should take opportunities like this, the heirarcy of these type of organazations might have a cold sholder for him, but with his stance on the war on drugs and war in general he would win the vast majority of these folks over.

truth appeals to everyone.