PDA

View Full Version : How quickly the GOP forgets...

curtisehler
12-24-2007, 02:41 AM
I was reminiscing about my experiences in politics a while ago, which led me to come up with this:

Flash back to a little over a year ago. Its mid-November in 2006, and the Republicans have just lost control of both the House and the Senate. Democrats additionally gain six governorships, giving Democrats control of a majority of the top state posts for the first time in twelve years.

What was the response from the party establishment? According to Ken Mehlman, chairman of the Republican party, as quoted in the New York Times, "it [wa]s time to go back to basics." The midterm election loss "was a mandate to 'recommit ourselves to being reform conservatives,'” he said, speaking at the headquarters of Americans for Tax Reform.

The New York Times article goes on to say, "Conservatives... say the midterm election was... [largely]... the result of the war in Iraq, which many now disavow as an un-conservative idea, wrongly associated with their movement by a faction of the right known as neoconservatives.... American conservatives have traditionally favored the use of force only for self-defense...."

Little over a year ago, the Republican Party was calling for a return to its roots- limited government, balancing the budget, and promoting a non-interventionist foreign policy. Now, Ron Paul is answering that call. The only question is, will Republicans heed their own advice and listen?

Any thoughts? If people think its good, I think I'd like to submit it to lewrockwell.com or nolanchart.com. So please be critical!

curtisehler
12-24-2007, 02:43 AM
all of this comes from nytimes article 'for conservatives, its back to basics' 11/12/2006. the topic was also discussed on fox news, cnn, and the other major news networks in the post-analysis of the 2006 midterm election.

ron paul is what the conservative movement has been searching for.

Antonius Stone
12-24-2007, 02:45 AM
expand on the Traditions and history of the Anti-War Republican party. Until Reagan (the first Neo-Con Republican) all Republican Presidents were known for getting us out of the Foreign Policy messes that the Democrats got us into. Look at Ike ending the Korean war and Nixon being elected to end the Vietnam war. Expand on Senator Robert Taft and the AMERICAN tradition of being a peaceful and (militarily) demobilized society

nist7
12-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Insightful commentary.

Ron Paul is, literally, the savior of the Republican party. He is the reform that the conservatives have been talking about in 2006.

So the question I'm wondering is.....why is Ron Paul being treated the way he is?

Have the conservatives all become neoconservatives? Have the neoconservative movement won out? Where have all the true conservatives gone? Let's hope there are alot of people flying under the radar working to get Dr. Paul and the Republican party...back to its greatness once again.

curtisehler
12-24-2007, 03:05 AM
thanks antonius and nist : ). i really appreciate any and all suggestions- i'll be using them all to put together the final product after the holidays.

keep the comments coming, team! feel free to be as positive or harsh as you'd like : ).