PDA

View Full Version : How quickly the GOP forgets...

curtisehler
12-24-2007, 02:23 AM
I was reminiscing about my experiences in politics a while ago, which led me to come up with this:

Flash back to a little over a year ago. Its mid-November in 2006, and the Republicans have just lost control of both the House and the Senate. Democrats additionally gain six governorships, giving Democrats control of a majority of the top state posts for the first time in twelve years.

What was the response from the party establishment? According to Ken Mehlman, chairman of the Republican party, as quoted in the New York Times, "it [wa]s time to go back to basics." The midterm election loss "was a mandate to 'recommit ourselves to being reform conservatives,'” he said, speaking at the headquarters of Americans for Tax Reform.

The New York Times article goes on to say, "Conservatives... say the midterm election was... [largely]... the result of the war in Iraq, which many now disavow as an un-conservative idea, wrongly associated with their movement by a faction of the right known as neoconservatives.... American conservatives have traditionally favored the use of force only for self-defense...."

Little over a year ago, the Republican Party was calling for a return to its roots- limiting government, balancing the budget, and promoting a non-interventionist foreign policy. Now, Ron Paul is answering that call. The only question is, will Republicans heed their own advice and listen?

Any thoughts? If people think its good, I think I'd like to submit it to lewrockwell.com or nolanchart.com. So please be critical!

curtisehler
12-24-2007, 02:24 AM
all of this comes from nytimes article 'for conservatives, its back to basics' 11/12/2006. the topic was also discussed on fox news, cnn, and the other major news networks in the post-analysis of the 2006 midterm election.

ron paul is what the conservative movement has been searching for.

The_Ruffneck
12-24-2007, 02:55 AM
dang that was a year ago already?

angrydragon
12-24-2007, 03:03 AM
Send it to Lew, heck send it to both.

curtisehler
12-24-2007, 03:18 AM
thanks ruffneck and angry. i'm hoping to get as much advice/criticism on this as possible to be able to do a re-write after the holidays. then, if the board likes it, i might just send it off.

thanks for the support!

The_Ruffneck
12-24-2007, 03:44 AM
there is no going back to basics with any of the republican candidates (barring Paul)
it's all talk!