PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Blocked From DailyPaul.com For Wanting "Ron Paul Rising" On Their HomePage

ronpaulfan
12-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Not

Even

Joking

I posted a critical thread complaining about why they didn't have "Ron Paul Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTDynbHVYQ)" on their homepage. They said it was because GHoeberX (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=GHoeberX) put his name in the video and they don't condone any self promotion in any Ron Paul videos. After about 30 of what I consider reasonable posts (I restrained myself, honestly), they renamed the thread to "RON PAUL FAN DROPPED THE BALL" and blocked my account.

Here is the link to the thread I posted which caused me to be banned from the site. http://www.dailypaul.com/node/16764

InRonWeTrust
12-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Well the self-promo in the vid did seem out of place when I saw it.

Dave Pedersen
12-23-2007, 11:04 PM
DailyPaul has become control happy. I hope the same thing does not happen here.

mexicanpizza
12-23-2007, 11:05 PM
The guy was obviously a professional from the quality of the work. We should be grateful that he made such an effort.

InRonWeTrust
12-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I liked the video a lot, but the self-promo might turn some people off. Reasonable people can disagree on the issue.

Man from La Mancha
12-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I can understand that, if they didn't like your view then 3 post should have been enough. I have seen you do the same thing here, no offense, a couple critics is enough, then people don't want to hear more.

fuzzybekool
12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
the video has like 20 honors. It is kicking butt.

Anti Federalist
12-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Honestly.:rolleyes:

He gave credit for the graphics and the music as well.

Sey.Naci
12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I see nothing wrong with the creator of a video including credits for it. GHoeberX has done some fantastic videos for the cause and he should be recognized for that.

ronpaulfan
12-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I can understand that, if they didn't like your view then 3 post should have been enough. I have seen you do the same thing here, no offense, a couple critics is enough, then people don't want to hear more.

I've been trying to work on that :o

My main beef was that DailyPaul doesn't help out videomakers anymore. If a video like Ron Paul Rising can't even make the front page, then what hope does anyone else have? I maintain the "Today's Top Ron Paul Videos (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62709)" solely because it's very hard now for videomakers to receive any exposure. Before starting that thread, I was seriously contemplating not making anymore Ron Paul videos (because of all the lame self-promotion it required just to get them seen).

torchbearer
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I see nothing wrong with the creator of a video including credits for it. GHoeberX has done some fantastic videos for the cause and he should be recognized for that.

+999999999 internets and +3 interwebs awarded.

Corydoras
12-24-2007, 12:22 AM
I am really ticked off they are behaving that way.
There is no reason that things in the campaign have to be anonymous and bureaucratic.
We all know Trevor and Justine and Vijay and Kent Snyder etc., they're not anonymous
Furthermore, it's not like that painting of Dr. Paul and Baby Liberty is unsigned, so of course the maker of a video can put his name where it normally comes in a movie, near the top.

Thom1776
12-24-2007, 12:32 AM
I used to check out Daily Paul in the beginning, but they really don't have anything important there.

Daily Paul is irrelevant. Don't even waste your time going to that site.

Thanehand
12-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Look. It's their site. They pay the bills and can decide how they'll help promote Ron. Asking once is fine, asking repeatedly is annoying.

If you don't like it, go start another web site! (Does that principle sound familiar? It should.)

Another approach would be to contact the author of the video and ask them to tone it down or remove the credit. Maybe then you could ask DailyPaul again by stating that you tried to reach a compromise with the author.

I'm all for promoting one's creative work and it is a great video, but we shouldn't be putting our own personal endeavours in front of what we're fighting for - RON PAUL FOR NOMINEE... RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!

Just Come Home
12-24-2007, 12:42 AM
I think that they're getting pretty control crazy over there. They seem to think that they're the campaign central planners. I know that there's some disagreement over the MLK Day money bomb, but I noticed one day it got posted, and then heard here the next day that they censored it, burying it off the front page. I thought the market was supposed to decide these things, instead of some guy who nobody really knows.

It's their site, so whatever. I just stopped going to it. I get more than enough Ron Paul news in the forums here.

Bryan
12-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I never thought I'd have to say this for a Ron Paul site, but remember our forum policy: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all forums; entangling alliances with none." :) The Daily Paul remains the top Ron Paul site after the PCC one- I like it.

From what I've seen, the pros tend to use credits, Liv, eLiberty, ginagoddess and GHoeberX - for others it's mixed. I prefer not to, but I'm not a pro. :)

JGalt
12-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah, stuff like that is why I moved to this site. I really like the lack of censorship here.

edit: but why is there a damn hillary for 2008 ad in the lower left-hand corner all the time here? Makes me feel like big mother is watching me.

torchbearer
12-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah, stuff like that is why I moved to this site. I really like the lack of censorship here.

freedom is popular. :)

American
12-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Not

Even

Joking

I posted a critical thread complaining about why they didn't have "Ron Paul Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTDynbHVYQ)" on their homepage. They said it was because GHoeberX (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=GHoeberX) put his name in the video and they don't condone any self promotion in any Ron Paul videos. After about 30 of what I consider reasonable posts (I restrained myself, honestly), they renamed the thread to "RON PAUL FAN DROPPED THE BALL" and blocked my account.

Here is the link to the thread I posted which caused me to be banned from the site. http://www.dailypaul.com/node/16764

Again?

I thought you got blocked the other day about some other article, I guess these "blocks" not not permanent?

Bryan
12-24-2007, 01:01 AM

edit: but why is there a damn hillary for 2008 ad in the lower left-hand corner all the time here? Makes me feel like big mother is watching me.

Are you saying we should censor it off? :D

ronpaulfan
12-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Again?

I thought you got blocked the other day about some other article, I guess these "blocks" not not permanent?

:confused:

I'm almost inactive at DailyPaul. I normally only post there to promote videos or spread the word about something.

gerryb
12-24-2007, 02:24 AM

just click it.. I click all other candidates advertisements.. hopefully they paid good money for each click =)

Mental Dribble
12-24-2007, 02:49 AM
Absolutely incredible video... got me pumped and its 4 am!

emk
12-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Shame on DailyPaul,such a good site, they should stay away from these arrogant tactics.

Joe3113
12-24-2007, 03:39 AM
this forum is 100x more fun than dailypaul :D

RonPaulVolunteer
12-24-2007, 03:42 AM
My God.... not allowing people to shine for their work and be recognized as an artist. That's fascism.

Delain
12-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Not

Even

Joking

If that is their policy then thats their policy.

"After about 30 of what I consider reasonable posts"

One post asking why the video isnt on their site and 29 complaining about the policy? :p

One thing I've learned in my time on the intrawebs and that is never spend to much energy in trying to change policies I dont agree on. Its just wasted energy for the most part. Just do your thing and move on.

GHoeberX
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Well the self-promo in the vid did seem out of place when I saw it.

Okay; this weren't exactly my first videos and before I always put 'GHoeberX Presents' somewhere in the video. I had some bad experiences with people copying my video and puting their name on the end of it instead, so that's why I started doing it somewhere in the middle instead of at the total end.

In fact, 1 hour after I uploaded 'Ron Paul Rising', a guy had already copied the video on his youtube, put it on some forums like dailypaul and had 8 honours within 2 hours. Perhaps it's egoistic, but I find it a bit annoying when you work on something for more than one week and then see someone else running away with it and the honours. So I don't really regret putting "GHoeberX Presents" in the video. It's not like I was spamming a site; and as far as I know ELiberty also put his name in "A New Hope" and most painters put their name on their painting as well.

I understand that you thought it would be perhaps a bit too boasting, but I hope you see my point of view as well.

GHoeberX
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Shame on DailyPaul,such a good site, they should stay away from these arrogant tactics.

No Shame on DailyPaul at all, mate. They do a great job and they featured Land of the Free already. It's their site and they can't feature all these youtube-videos, so they have to make a selection anyway. I think they doing a great job with their site tbh.

Sey.Naci
12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Okay; this weren't exactly my first videos and before I always put 'GHoeberX Presents' somewhere in the video. I had some bad experiences with people copying my video and puting their name on the end of it instead, so that's why I started doing it somewhere in the middle instead of at the total end.

In fact, 1 hour after I uploaded 'Ron Paul Rising', a guy had already copied the video on his youtube, put it on some forums like dailypaul and had 8 honours within 2 hours. Perhaps it's egoistic, but I find it a bit annoying when you work on something for more than one week and then see someone else running away with it and the honours. So I don't really regret putting "GHoeberX Presents" in the video. It's not like I was spamming a site; and as far as I know ELiberty also put his name in "A New Hope" and most painters put their name on their painting as well.

I understand that you thought it would be perhaps a bit too boasting, but I hope you see my point of view as well.
I noticed that and spoke critically about it in the forum introducing that new vid. Taking your material without acknowledgment or permission is a clear copyright violation, not to mention incredibly unethical.

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Keep on putting your credits in there. Fantastic video btw. I consider it ludicrous for creative work not to be credited to the author. I see dailypaul has no problem linking to people's editorial blogs what is the difference? You can sign it if you write it but if its a video you can't sign it. Give me a fooken break. I have only gone to dailypaul for the front page but I think I will start using one of the other sites if they are censoring on absurdities. I see he has no problem crediting himself and soliciting advertising for his site:

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/223#advertising

total bs. The link in the first post is no longer there so you can't even form your own opinion based on what was posted. I emailed dailypaul and let them know I will be finding my rp news elsewhere.

fortilite
12-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Why 30 comments?

constituent
12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I used to check out Daily Paul in the beginning, but they really don't have anything important there.

Daily Paul is irrelevant. Don't even waste your time going to that site.

+1

the layout didn't appeal to me in the slightest. i think i registered at one point, but never bothered posting. don't want to start a forum war or anything.

i find it funny that someone rated this thread down to one star btw.

fortilite
12-24-2007, 04:46 PM
30 comments seems like spam.

Bryan
12-24-2007, 04:59 PM

In fact, 1 hour after I uploaded 'Ron Paul Rising', a guy had already copied the video on his youtube, put it on some forums like dailypaul and had 8 honours within 2 hours. Perhaps it's egoistic, but I find it a bit annoying when you work on something for more than one week and then see someone else running away with it and the honours. So I don't really regret putting "GHoeberX Presents" in the video.
The video copying is annoying and is a total disservice to the campaign as youtubers who get the copies won't get a chance to subscribe to the best content creators. Further, it dilutes the honors for the original, so that means fewer people see it. Worst yet, the copies can often end up having their accounts removed (for other violations, typical since they don't like the rules) and then links across the web end up dead ends. Never mind the total disregard for the effort of the creator.

That is a real shame someone copied Ron Paul Rising- you should post the user so we can know who to avoid. I can relate to the annoyance, I had this happen to me on a video- it got copied at least twice and the copies ended up on some major links, then one lost his account.

It's not like I was spamming a site; and as far as I know ELiberty also put his name in "A New Hope"
Yes.

manystrom
12-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I guess RonPaulFan missed it, that the video that he speaks of has long been on the front page:

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/17005

It is a great video!!!

I was enjoying Christmas eve with my family, taking a much-needed break from the site & reading my email. I get over 200 emails per day, many of them pleading for me to put their video or website on the front page of the DP. It takes me much time to go through them each day. Unfortunately I can't accommodate everyone who wants their post, or art, or article, or video, or advertisement on the front page of the Daily Paul. I'm very sorry about that.

Later that evening - Christmas Eve, mind you - I tuned in to the site only to find "Ron Paul Fan" had posted a thread titled, "DAILY PAUL DROPPING THE BALL" that complained about how it was all *my* fault that this video wasn't going to make the front page of YouTube. He started the thread, and then bumped it continually with his complaints. Over half the comments on the thread were his.

I didn't think that was appropriate for Christmas Eve and I don't like that kind of behavior on my site, so I deleted his thread. But I checked out the the video and found it to be excellent, so I put it on the front page, where it remains.

A friend of mine pointed this thread out to me, which I find to be most unfortunate. If "Ron Paul Fan" hates the Daily Paul so much, he's welcome to stay away. And if he wants to be rude and disrespectful to me, as he has been, then I don't wish for him to do it on my site. One of the tenants of liberty is freedom of association.

Since he was so quick to publicly denounce me and the Daily Paul I patiently await his public apology.

walt
12-26-2007, 04:20 PM
patheric, I guess if you aren't part of the core group of original self-promoters you're not welcomed? Ron Paul would be ashamed.

Mark Rushmore
12-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Later that evening - Christmas Eve, mind you - I tuned in to the site only to find "Ron Paul Fan" had posted a thread titled, "DAILY PAUL DROPPING THE BALL" that complained about how it was all *my* fault that this video wasn't going to make the front page of YouTube. He started the thread, and then bumped it continually with his complaints. Over half the comments on the thread were his.

I didn't think that was appropriate for Christmas Eve and I don't like that kind of behavior on my site, so I deleted his thread.

So to clarify:

1) You didn't block his account, just deleted the thread?

2) Did you initially claim that any videos which referenced their producer's handle were barred from going up - as OP states?

Just trying to reconcile the stories.

jointhefightforfreedom
12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
i'll post videos on jointhefightforfreedom

ronpaulfan
12-26-2007, 05:24 PM
A friend of mine pointed this thread out to me, which I find to be most unfortunate. If "Ron Paul Fan" hates the Daily Paul so much, he's welcome to stay away. And if he wants to be rude and disrespectful to me, as he has been, then I don't wish for him to do it on my site. One of the tenants of liberty is freedom of association.

Since he was so quick to publicly denounce me and the Daily Paul I patiently await his public apology.

Well I'm not going to apologize all that much more. I did after all make this thread right after you banned my account from DailyPaul (thank you for unbanning it btw).

Also my apologies only go for offending you, not for posting a critical thread (which I tried to be very tactful in). I stand by the point of that thread which was that "Ron Paul Rising" deserved to be showcased during it's first 48 hours on YouTube while it was still climbing the daily YouTube charts. Had you responded in the thread saying you weren't online and hadn't seen the video, I would have apologized then, but instead you deleted the thread and banned my account (which you're free to do, it's your site).

Since I was blocked from DailyPaul after responding to 30-some posts from people who hated GHoeberX putting his name in the video, I could only assume you felt that way as well (I never "bumped continually with [my] complaints" as you said). Since that wasn't the real reason it wasn't showcased, I'm sorry I assumed it was.

Also for anyone reading this, here is the email I sent Michael yesterday evening

Sorry bro for being critical in that thread. I was voicing some of the frustration many of us video makers have been feeling for a while. The way YouTube works, a video only has 48 hours before it falls off the daily charts. After that 48 hour window, the video viewership literally drops by 99% (the daily charts really do receive all the attention on YouTube). I can see how this makes it tough with the hundreds of emails you have to go through, but please take a minute to read my take on the "YouTube front" of the rEVOLution.

A lot of Ron Paul supporters feel we dominate YouTube and that there's no more room for growth; however, when you look at the figures, Ron Paul really only has 2-3% of the YouTube audience (compare the tens of thousands of views on the "Ron Paul Page" - the daily top *rated* news page http://www.youtube.com/browse?s=tr&t=t&c=25&l=&b=0 - with the millions on the YouTube front page). YouTube is after all one of the most popular sites in the country.

To reach out to more YouTubers, it is critical we do everything possible to push good Ron Paul videos to the YouTube front page (i.e. the Most Viewed page) within that first 48 hour window. I've done what I can to help quickly identify these videos at RonPaulForums (using datamining software to update this stickied thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62709). But, I've been getting the feeling DailyPaul has a 2-3 day lag when posting many Ron Paul videos.

I'm sorry if I was rude in the thread I posted, but that is really what I and many other videomakers I've talked to are feeling. I've had a few of my videos ( http://www.youtube.com/ronpaulwinz & http://www.youtube.com/ronpaulreporter) featured on DailyPaul, but it has always been a few days after posting, when the video has already fallen from the daily charts. Ron Paul Rising is a good example of this because at it's peak, it was only 2 spots away from the YouTube front-page. Thank you for posting it to DailyPaul now, but had it been posted earlier, the video would have made the YouTube front-page and been seen by tens of thousands of casual YouTubers, possibly sparking a massive Ron Paul interest in them.

I apologize again for offending you. I tend to be very "in your face" when being critical about something (you should have seen my criticism of the Blimp team's poor communication to the grassroots). I'll try to be more constructive next time, but I can't promise too much. When you think Ron Paul is America's last hope, the level of urgency behind all actions multiplies by factors of 100.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Mike.

Sey.Naci
12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
The video copying ... is a total disservice to the campaign as youtubers who get the copies won't get a chance to subscribe to the best content creators. Further, it dilutes the honors for the original, so that means fewer people see it. Worst yet, the copies can often end up having their accounts removed (for other violations, typical since they don't like the rules) and then links across the web end up dead ends. Never mind the total disregard for the effort of the creator.

That is a real shame someone copied Ron Paul Rising- you should post the user so we can know who to avoid. I can relate to the annoyance, I had this happen to me on a video- it got copied at least twice and the copies ended up on some major links.The username of the person who copied GHoeberX's vid is dnajlion7. I've just viewed Ron Paul Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRTDynbHVYQ) for the umpteenth time - it's that compelling and inspiring. Under Related Videos, the copyright violator's vid is listed at the top. Is it possible to disable 'Related Videos'?

XelR8r
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Same here.

dailypaul got "taken over" about a month ago by very vocal control freaks. I tried to fight it at first but soon gave up and found a home here:)

Besides, most of their "breaking news" is already a dead thread here.

manystrom
12-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok, peace.

Michael

Bryan
12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Great to see this get cleared up. Thanks for the posts Michael, I'm certainly sympathetic to what you have to deal with. :) Looking forward to meeting you at the inauguration. :)

Now, on to winning the election... :)