PDA

View Full Version : Speech Coach - A misunderstanding

LoweLeif
12-23-2007, 10:27 PM
As the originator of that thread I just wanted to clear up some misunderstandings.

1) I'm not a troll. The person who started this thread including my post is not a troll. It was a general concern that I believed needed attention, and if deemed a valid point, brought to the attention of the campaign. This sentiment was shared on the college facebook boards.

2) The man is 72 and does have a certain manner of talking. My intention was never to criticize his style. However, if he is asked how he is going to have a balanced budget without the income tax, he needs to not only say how i.e Ending U.S imperialism but he should at least present the figures honestly to show how it is feasible. Sure these figures can be disputed, however, being able to say $1 Trillion cut here in x years will allow us to slash such a tax by y%, sounds much better than...
"Our foreign policy costs $100's of billions of dollars... and I want to abolish the income tax". Getting rid of the IRS and the Income tax are very popular positions. However, the rebuke by those skeptical often is, "Is this practical/possible"? Therefore in order to win over those skeptical, we should at least have no problem citing our plan! : D

3) "... and at least appear well informed." This was an error on my part. I do not believe nor did I want to state that Ron Paul is uniformed. He is well informed. However, he needs to be able to present the fact that he is well informed. And IMO, it appears that he isn't when he doesn't cite figures (not that I subscribe to empirical validation, unfortunately the populace does thing that way to some extent). What's worse, is when we dig into the Income Tax debate, the campaign does not appear to have a credible explanation for how the budget would be balanced and the income tax a thing of the past. (If am in error, feel free to post a link to where the campaign does give a pragmatic explanation. As the originator of that thread I just wanted to clear up some misunderstandings.

1) I'm not a troll. The person who started this thread including my post is not a troll. It was a general concern that I believed needed attention, and if deemed a valid point, brought to the attention of the campaign. This sentiment was shared on the college facebook boards.

2) The man is 72 and does have a certain manner of talking. My intention was never to criticize his style. However, if he is asked how he is going to have a balanced budget without the income tax, he needs to not only say how i.e Ending U.S imperialism but he should at least present the figures honestly to show how it is feasible. Sure these figures can be disputed, however, being able to say $1 Trillion cut here in x years will allow us to slash such a tax by y%, sounds much better than...
"Our foreign policy costs $100's of billions of dollars... and I want to abolish the income tax". Getting rid of the IRS and the Income tax are very popular positions. However, the rebuke by those skeptical often is, "Is this practical/possible"? Therefore in order to win over those skeptical, we should at least have no problem citing our plan! : D

3) "... and at least appear well informed." This was an error on my part. I do not believe nor did I want to state that Ron Paul is uniformed. He is well informed. However, he needs to be able to present the fact that he is well informed. And IMO, it appears that he isn't when he doesn't cite figures (not that I subscribe to empirical validation, unfortunately the populace does thing that way to some extent). What's worse, is when we dig into the Income Tax debate, the campaign does not appear to have a credible explanation for how the budget would be balanced and the income tax a thing of the past. (If am in error, feel free to post a link to where the campaign does give a pragmatic explanation.

dircha
12-23-2007, 10:30 PM
I hope he is at least working with a debate coach to practice running through the issues before interviews.

Noleader
12-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Truth be told Americans tend to eat up the sound bytes... keep in mind that folks that take part here tend to be your advanced and active citizen.

coffeewithchess
12-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I agree with this. The only reason Huckabee is doing so well is because he is the "best spoken" candidate that is running. He is the "master of sound byte" clips. I do think that he did a good job though with the interview...he looked like he had sleep, was awake and had some good responses to the questions...but stupid Americans want sound bytes.

"Bush is a BUM", Ron Paul!

Unspun
12-23-2007, 11:01 PM
I like his way of speaking because it seems non-rehearsed and genuine.

Rebel Resource
12-24-2007, 12:14 AM
numbers make you sound intelligent, but a lot of americans prefer you to sound "on their level"

i think this is such a basic element of training for media that the RP campaign must have agreed to lay off the specifics, at least until later on in the campaign